[OT] Bo Jackson: I'd average 350 yards per game today

Dcat

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

It sums up my feelings so perfectly.  

It's great. Poor doggy, taking on the weight of the world. I mean, the Jets. He doesn't even look guilty, like he did something wrong (chewed the furniture, ate a slipper). He looks like someone ran over his dreams, tore out his heart, and did a tap dance on it, lol. Good on you if it's a shelter dog (big dog person here). Funny, I have never tortured any of my dogs with Jets gear. I'm so disgusted, maybe I should start.

So yeah, anyway, Bo Jackson. I remember when he broke his hip, brutal. It was something crazy on top of it, though. It was dislocated, too, and all the blood vessels got torn. What a shame that was. As to the article and according to him, he's been running on it all along and is still breaking records with his mind. I think that that's what I was supposed to get from that, but I'm not sure. : /

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

Yep.  Today’s players are so much faster and bigger than when bo played.  He’d still run over blowhards like bosworth but there are just too many good players.

That’s often said, but I dont think it’s true.  By the late eighties and early nineties the level of athlete was close to what we see today.  Tons of 4.3 guys and 300lb athletic linemen.  It’s more like the first string was roughly comparable, but today’s backups are much better than the backups in the past.

I’d say the big difference is more longevity and actually today’s players have better play recognition.  The game is much more complicated now than what it used to be, and defenses know how to read cues and tendencies and they have access to analytics.  There weren’t as many crazy disguised defenses and personnel groupings like there is today, and all of that greatly favors the pass game.  So it’s not that hard to shut out a great RB anymore.

Bo would definitely be the best rb in the NFL, but he wouldn’t be that out of line compared to say D Henry.

59 minutes ago, Hael said:

That’s often said, but I dont think it’s true.  By the late eighties and early nineties the level of athlete was close to what we see today.  Tons of 4.3 guys and 300lb athletic linemen.  It’s more like the first string was roughly comparable, but today’s backups are much better than the backups in the past.

I’d say the big difference is more longevity and actually today’s players have better play recognition.  The game is much more complicated now than what it used to be, and defenses know how to read cues and tendencies and they have access to analytics.  There weren’t as many crazy disguised defenses and personnel groupings like there is today, and all of that greatly favors the pass game.  So it’s not that hard to shut out a great RB anymore.

Bo would definitely be the best rb in the NFL, but he wouldn’t be that out of line compared to say D Henry.

Maybe there that much faster than when bo played but faster play recognition has to factor into it too. Being in the right place at the right time is better than having to move to get there.

On 10/28/2020 at 12:14 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I have little doubt Bo would be tremendous in today's game. 

His problem would be volume.  Which might actually be a godsend given that it would keep him fresh.  Teams don't like using just one back, and of course the passing game is king.  He only caught 40 passes in his 4 NFL seasons and would need to adapt to that shift.  

If Bo Jackson just played football , and stayed healthy he would have been the best rb to ever play the game.   He played a full baseball season, than would come straight to football( missing the first four games).   Raiders would have won two more super bowls if he didn’t get hurt.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

If Bo Jackson just played football , and stayed healthy he would have been the best rb to ever play the game.   He played a full baseball season, than would come straight to football( missing the first four games).   Raiders would have won two more super bowls if he didn’t get hurt.

You do realize Bo was injured playing football?

And if he was active during this era he absolutely would have only played baseball

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You do realize Bo was injured playing football?

And if he was active during this era he absolutely would have only played baseball

It was a freak injury, and unfortunately they didn’t know how to treat it back than. Today that injury is no big deal.      Bo had it all - size, And blazing speed .  It was a matter of time he was going to break one.   Bo Jackson - D Henry with sprinters speed.

Wow.  You guys never saw Bo play?

Here's his stat line:

6'1"

230 lbs.

40-yd dash: 4.13s

That's right, Bo had the strength and size of Derrick Henry, but more than 3/10th of a second faster.  And he played in a time when LBs were a little bigger, because stopping the run was paramount for LBs back in the day.  Now, LBs are about 15-20 lbs. lighter because they have to cover. 

Bo would destroy defenses every Sunday.   There are literally no defensive players today that could catch him.

Bo Jackson would be just as good or worse in today's game. He's delusional if he thinks that he would rush for anything more than Derrick Henry or Dalvin Cook. There is a reason why the glory years of star running backs has decreased. Look at guys like Chris Johnson and Arian Foster. From top of the league to obscurity. Players are bigger and faster today. The average safety hits like Steve Atwater.