Douglas's draft looking better and better

Pointdexter

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You mean like the anti-JD crowd declared the whole draft class outside of Becton a bust a few games in?

Nah, I'll take the victory lap, thanks.  

Agreed dude.  Plus nobody said they were studs we simply Said they have looked good and give us some hope for the future.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wait so Mims doesn’t look good? You’re the first person I’ve heard who doesn’t like what they’ve seen outta him

JiF has been on the "this whole draft class sucks outside of Becton" train.  Not surprising he's going for the confirmation bias angle on this one.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I still have no idea why JD selected a 5th year college QB with a career completion percentage within the 50's during our 4th round pick?

And to make it worse, an explosive and exciting WR out of UCF in Gabriel Davis went to Buffalo only 3 picks later....

When flacco goes down and capt morgan starts flinging that ball you will change your mind. Hes tough and doesnt quit

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, Mims has not shown enough to call him anything but an unknown at this point.  Again, I'm not saying he's been bad - just that what we've seen of him hasn't been great or really impressive in any way.  10 catches for 142 yards over 3 games is nothing salivate over.

Perriman is only playing well because of Mim's - That logic is honestly comical.

(I did mean Jeff Smith, my mistake)

50 catches for 750 wouldn't be good enough for you?  On a team with no passing game?   WTF would satisfy you?  Julio Jones?

I fully believe that Mims is helping Perriman and vice versa.  I don't expect this to be a popular opinion.  Certain things put pressure on defense.  Quarterbacks that can run are one.  Speed is another.  I think spreading two big fast players wide forces teams to roll safeties.  I think that is why Flacco threw the pick.  He thought he had a one on one.  Of course another help is that Flacco has a deep arm which goes well with the speed.

I am probably the #1 Jeff Smith fan, but he has not outplayed Mims.  He has obviously played worse.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  I never said anything about what he will be

2. My point is its comical that you think you can see hes tentative, looks lost and isnt aggressive while being unsure of what he is doing.  

3.  Does he fight for balls and wins those fights?  Seems to me hes done well there.  Has he gotten open?  At times for sure.  Is he fast?  Yes.  Does he have size?  Yes.  Does he have hands?  Yes.  Things I can see as opposed to your points

1) I'm just responding to the OP for which I was called a Troll...The OP claimed he is "at minimum a strong #2". I haven't seen that.

I had this same argument with too many of you three years ago about Herndon.  Go look.  Not saying Mims is Herndon but just the pre-mature crowning side of it.  We really didn't know what Herndon was - just like we really don't know what Mims is yet.

2) Yes, to me...he looks tentative and indecisive - That's what I'm seeing. .  I'm not saying he's not fighting or trying hard - just that he's playing a bit unsure right now..  And all you're doing to mentioning his metrics.  I get it, he ran a good .40, he's tall...he was a very good prospect.  Let me be clear - I was very high on the pick, loved the pick and honestly think he'll be a keeper.  

But, it's simply way to premature to be telling me he's a stud.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JiF has been on the "this whole draft class sucks outside of Becton" train.  Not surprising he's going for the confirmation bias angle on this one.  

FidelioJet hates the Jets more than Pats fans ?.  He also seems to hate JD more than Macc.  So far he think neither Becton or Mims have done anything well despite the fact that 99 percent of Jets fans miserable or not have loved what they have seen from them 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Add one quality outside WR via free agency to pair with Mims, bring back Perriman, and this WR corps looks very good.  Something like Allen Robinson, Mims, Crowder, Perriman, Vyncint Smith.  Instantly at least a middle of the pack group.  

Amazing what WR's can look like with a QB who doesn't sh*t himself every game.

Or take a stud WR with SEA's #1. I've been saying it all season but this team isn't that far away. We can make the playoffs next year if Lawrence is as advertised. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

50 catches for 750 wouldn't be good enough for you?  On a team with no passing game?   WTF would satisfy you?  Julio Jones?

I fully believe that Mims is helping Perriman and vice versa.  I don't expect this to be a popular opinion.  Certain things put pressure on defense.  Quarterbacks that can run are one.  Speed is another.  I think spreading two big fast players wide forces teams to roll safeties.  I think that is why Flacco threw the pick.  He thought he had a one on one.  Of course another help is that Flacco has a deep arm which goes well with the speed.

I am probably the #1 Jeff Smith fan, but he has not outplayed Mims.  He has obviously played worse.

if the second best receiver on our team had 750 yards we're in a lot of trouble.  If that's the type of offense you want than so be it.  But in today's NFL your #2 receiver better come up with more than 50 catches a year if you ever want to win.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

FidelioJet hates the Jets more than Pats fans ?.  He also seems to hate JD more than Macc.  So far he think neither Becton or Mims have done anything well despite the fact that 99 percent of Jets fans miserable or not have loved what they have seen from them 

Fake News!

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

if the second best receiver on our team had 750 yards we're in a lot of trouble.  If that's the type of offense you want than so be it.  But in today's NFL your #2 receiver better come up with more than 50 catches a year if you ever want to win.

Only 14 rookie WRs in NFL history have had 1,000+ yards in a season.  50 catches for 750 in half a season would be historically great.  

You're a mess.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

How about the part where you called for him to be fired?  Also fake news?  I assume you were thrilled with the draft class based on that demand, eh?

I said he should be under pressure and he still should be. As everyone on a potential 0-16 disaster season should be.

Most of his draft class haven't played 5 games, let alone 5 good games. Let them stay healthy first, then play well and then we can induct the class into the HOF. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Whos saying thats the offense we're looking for?

He clearly said on a team that cant pass.  

And for a rookie.

Whats the matter with you, youre searching for doom and gloom 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Irish Jet said:

I said he should be under pressure and he still should be. As everyone on a potential 0-16 disaster season should be.

Most of his draft class haven't played 5 games, let alone 5 good games. Let them stay healthy first, then play well and then we can induct the class into the HOF. 

Delicious.  

When I see Sam check protections, read a pre snap blitz, and recognize wide open receivers, I’ll believe that he can do it too.  So far, he’s not done that this year, even when he had everyone, ala the 2nd Bills game.

Last night was the first game three NFL Wrs played for the Jets. Again, Flacco was garbage the 2 prior games. Let not rewrite history

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I'm on the JD bandwagon.

I've always been on it -

You guys just didn't believe me when I was telling what he was doing all off-season.  I was called a hater because I saw he was tearing everything down and was going to put out garbage.  For some reason most of you thought he was trying to build a competitive roster. 

I'm happy with what he's done so far - I think it needed to be done....

but let's be clear what that is.

He's torn things down, traded away players and cleared cap space.  

We have no idea if he's capable of building a roster.  We have no idea if he can draft well, sign quality FA's, manage the cap or properly build an NFL roster.  It's an entire question mark right now.  Saying anything other than that is just wishful thinking.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Hell of a job by Joe Douglas in year 1. Known players:

1) Mekhi Becton - already an elite LT. Huge score here for Douglas.

2) Denzel Mims - looks to be at minimum a strong #2 type with potential for more. Another hit.

3) Ashytn Davis - Man he showed a lot tonight. Physical. Fast. Instinctive. He's the kind of player that will get better and better every year. I'm a fan.

4) Braden Mann - excellent punter that can change field position and kick off.

That's 4 hits with future starters. Perine looks like a contributor at a minimum for years. Zuniga, Clark, Morgan and Hall are all question marks but if we get anything out of just a couple of them it's gravy.

We haven't seen ROI like this on a draft in over a decade. Couple this with some excellent trades (jamal adams) and even the biggest skeptic has to be bullish on Joe Douglas right now.

Not sold totally on Mims yet. So far he looks like a guy that at least catches the ball but we need him to make the tough catch for scores and be a true #1. We can get #2 guys much later than the second round and Daviis has sucked up until now. Let's see how he finishes

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whos saying thats the offense we're looking for?

He clearly said on a team that cant pass.  

And for a rookie.

Whats the matter with you, youre searching for doom and gloom 

If the OP said he's seen things in Mims that he can be positive about I would agree.  But that's not what I'm referencing.  This was a post where he said "at minimum a strong #2"

I don't understand why that's so hard for you guys to understand.  He is NOT at minimum a strong #2 - He might turn out to be but through 3 games he simply hasn't shown enough to say that.  10 catches and no TD's - over 3 games.  We shouldn't be making any definitive claims about him.

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Last night was the first game three NFL Wrs played for the Jets. Again, Flacco was garbage the 2 prior games. Let not rewrite history

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Nobody is rewriting history.  Flacco looked better last night than Sam has all season.  He did things Sam hasn’t done all season and it greatly benefited the team in many ways.  

Also Sam had 2 of the 3 against Buffalo and cost the team 17 points because he couldn’t read the field.  Stop making excuses for his failure to do things that he should be doing in his 3rd season.  It’s possible to think that both suck, but one sucks less than the other at things necessary of a QB.  Flacco sucking against Arizona and Miami doesn’t excuse Darnold from missing wide open receivers for easy touchdowns.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What ******* planet do you live on?  What high octane offense did you expect the 2020 Jets to have?  The 2019 Saints 2nd highest receiving yards 758,  The 2019 Chiefs 860 (Tyreek Hill!).  Ravens?  582. Ridley had 866 for the Falcons. If you live in some crazy fantasy world where the 2020 Jets were going to be this up tempo offense that has three 1,000 yard receivers I can't help you.  

Nice cherry picking.  You're picking teams that have massive talent all over the field.  There is no real 2's on those teams.  As much as 4 or 5 ones...

Look, if you want to believe Mims has already proven to be "at minimum a strong #2" - So be it.  I won't argue with you - I hope you're right.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Nice cherry picking.  You're picking teams that have massive talent all over the field.  There is no real 2's on those teams.  As much as 4 or 5 ones...

Look, if you want to believe Mims has already proven to be "at minimum a strong #2" - So be it.  I won't argue with you. 

I didn't disagree that he has a long way to go.  I disagree that 50/750 pace is not a very good one for a bottom of the 2nd round rookie that missed almost all of this abbreviated cluster**** of a preseason.  Robby Anderson basically got $10M per for similar numbers.  He deserved it.  Nice to know that I am the one cherry picking.  

11 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Hell of a job by Joe Douglas in year 1. Known players:

1) Mekhi Becton - already an elite LT. Huge score here for Douglas.

2) Denzel Mims - looks to be at minimum a strong #2 type with potential for more. Another hit.

3) Ashytn Davis - Man he showed a lot tonight. Physical. Fast. Instinctive. He's the kind of player that will get better and better every year. I'm a fan.

4) Braden Mann - excellent punter that can change field position and kick off.

That's 4 hits with future starters. Perine looks like a contributor at a minimum for years. Zuniga, Clark, Morgan and Hall are all question marks but if we get anything out of just a couple of them it's gravy.

We haven't seen ROI like this on a draft in over a decade. Couple this with some excellent trades (jamal adams) and even the biggest skeptic has to be bullish on Joe Douglas right now.

Agreed with the caveat that we don't know what their ceiling is? Specifically referring to anyone besides Becton, the ceiling for those players is not known. Their ceiling is not known and it's exciting to see what they become. However,  they could just as easily flat line also. They've all had their share of injuries. But all in all, yes I agree with you. Denzel Mims was the best player for the Jets last night. I see possibly as many as 5 starters from this draft? That's one hell of an about face for the Jets.

• Upvote 1