Douglas's draft looking better and better

Pointdexter

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Also Sam had 2 of the 3 against Buffalo and cost the team 17 points because he couldn’t read the field.  Stop making excuses for his failure to do things that he should be doing in his 3rd season.  It’s possible to think that both suck, but one sucks less than the other at things necessary of a QB.  Flacco sucking against Arizona and Miami doesn’t excuse Darnold from missing wide open receivers for easy touchdowns.

In fairness, two isnt three.  Huge difference.

As is the Bills defense compared to the Pats.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Larz said:

Davis really showed up. More physical than I expected 

zuniga is bigger than I thought as well 

lots of durability concerns but the talent is bubbling up 

Remember that these rookies did not have a full camp. All the thigs like weight training and stretching and running plays live were condensed to a few weeks. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Been saying the same, but I think stud Center, stud guard, and move McGovern to the other guard spot and the line is pretty much set. Between Font and Edgoda, then can battle for RT.

FA from GB (Linley?) is very good. I don't think TL or Fields can survive while a rookie grows into the position.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is delicious.  You mean like the anti-JD crowd declared the whole draft class outside of Becton a bust a few games in?  Including you, who was already calling for him to be fired?

Nah, I'll take the victory lap, thanks.  Mims is going to be a f**king stud, and that was fairly clear even before the draft.

Do you think TL was watching the game last night to see where the Jets are at? The offense looked ok with Flacco. If he got a glimpse of Becton he probably thought "10 years of backside protection". Mims - "I can work well with that!" Gase-Hell No!

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

FA from GB (Linley?) is very good. I don't think TL or Fields can survive while a rookie grows into the position.

Unfortunately, I might agree, but if you pick someone with the talent of Becton, then we shouldn't be worrying about that. We need a young and strong line to go with the new QB to grow together. I'd rather use the FA money elsewhere.

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Unfortunately, I might agree, but if you pick someone with the talent of Becton, then we shouldn't be worrying about that. We need a young and strong line to go with the new QB to grow together. I'd rather use the FA money elsewhere.

If we are willing to draft a starting Center from Day 1, then you might be looking at a 1st/2nd round selection. If we are going Qb, Wr in round 1 then your 2nd round selection would need to be best Center on the board at #33. Now some may say that you can find a starter in the 3rd or 4th. I am saying that whoever is our Center next year they cannot be on a learning curve. The position is too important. You have the best Center in the league (per PFF) go and try to sign him. If you can't lock up a FA center great. If not, by all means draft one (even if you sign a FA). to develop.

Just my .02

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

If we are willing to draft a starting Center from Day 1, then you might be looking at a 1st/2nd round selection. If we are going Qb, Wr in round 1 then your 2nd round selection would need to be best Center on the board at #33. Now some may say that you can find a starter in the 3rd or 4th. I am saying that whoever is our Center next year they cannot be on a learning curve. The position is too important. You have the best Center in the league (per PFF) go and try to sign him. If you can't lock up a FA center great. If not, by all means draft one (even if you sign a FA). to develop.

Just my .02

You're not wrong... I just think that unless there is a Mawae type in FA, then I think you might be able to get the #1 or #2 Center at whatever pick the Seattle 1st turns out to be. I'd prefer moving McGovern back to guard where he is much better suited, if we plan on keeping him. I'm not opposed to using FA's for pieces, but I'd like the OL to be somewhat young so that it can grow together, and on rookie deals so we can keep them together for 4-5 years. I'm banking on NO GASE and someone who can coach up OL in 2021.

• Upvote 2

Jury's still out on this draft but it's looking Macc'ish to me.   First round hit and then very weak after.

The trade down is looking bad so far too - Claypool was there.   

Claypool vs. (Mims, Perine, Morgan) is how we'll grade it.  Let's see how it plays out

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Jury's still out on this draft but it's looking Macc'ish to me.   First round hit and then very weak after.

The trade down is looking bad so far too - Claypool was there.   

Claypool vs. (Mims, Perine, Morgan) is how we'll grade it.  Let's see how it plays out

Mims >> Claypool. 

And Macc didn't hit on his 1st rounders.  The lone good player he took in the 1st (Jamal Adams) was a bad pick.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Wrong and Wrong.  Other than that, good post, 80!  ?

You can declare Mims being better than Claypool "wrong" already?  Based on what?  Mims looking categorically better with a categorically worse QB/HC combo, having a WR1 build, pedigree, and better collegiate career?  Which of those would you like to tackle first?

And which Macc 1st rounders were good ones/hits?  That's even more laughable a suggestion.

44 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Macc's drafting was beyond terrible but he found some starters in the first round.  This thread is about JD's draft.  Let's talk about that.

You opened the door with that insulting Macc comparison.  Despite drafting in the top 6 of the 1st in four out of 5 years, Mike Maccagnan came away with:

• Jamal Adams (good player, bad pick)
  • Leonard Williams (very average career, later flipped for only 3rd & 5th round picks)
  • Sam Darnold (worst starting QB in the NFL, and he traded three 2nd rounders for the privilege)
  • Quinnen Williams (5.5 career sacks in 1.5 seasons, with just 7 QB Hurries and 6 QB Knockdowns)
  • Darron Lee (Practice Squad-level player for the Chiefs and Bills after being traded for a 6th round pick)

That's pitiful.  Numerous franchises who pick at the back end of the 1st year after year have done far better.

Becton, at pick 11, is already looking like a vastly superior pick and player compared to any of those 5,  and quite possibly the Jets' best 1st round pick since 2007 (Revis).  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You opened the door with that insulting Macc comparison.  Despite drafting in the top 6 of the 1st in four out of 5 years, Mike Maccagnan came away with:

• Jamal Adams (good player, bad pick)
  • Leonard Williams (very average career, later flipped for only 3rd & 5th round picks)
  • Sam Darnold (worst starting QB in the NFL, and he traded three 2nd rounders for the privilege)
  • Quinnen Williams (5.5 career sacks in 1.5 seasons, with just 7 QB Hurries and 6 QB Knockdowns)
  • Darron Lee (Practice Squad-level player for the Chiefs and Bills after being traded for a 6th round pick)

That's pitiful.  Numerous franchises who pick at the back end of the 1st year after year have done far better.

Becton, at pick 11, is already looking like a vastly superior pick and player compared to any of those 5,  and quite possibly the Jets' best 1st round pick since 2007 (Revis).  

Fair enough.  Now, based on your analysis, we have a way of measuring if JD's 2020 draft is Macc'ish.

If Becton becomes "very average" AND no difference makers in the rest of the bunch, THEN JD's 2020 draft is Macc'ish.   Fair enough?

I think this is a possibility as I'm not impressed with this class so far.  I really hope they improve. 

I don't have any hope for Mims ever being better than Claypool.  Claypool is a star already.  JD blew that one.

• Upvote 1

Becton has looked very good but has also come off the field more than I would like to see.

Mims I haven't seen enough from he has flashed on a few plays but has only been in three games I'd like to see more from him and expect to when we have a coach who plays him to his strengths.

Davis I liked what I saw last game but would like to see more. He was aggressive and fearless and he might not be the all pro Jamal adams was but if he constantly shows up and makes plays I will be happy.

Zuniga - who?

Perine looks about as productive as a 37 year old frank gore which oddly enough is a compliment. I think this kid has a future in the league but I'm not certain he will be an rb1.

Morgan, clark and hall I don't expect to know enough about for awhile as I believe they are both developmental projects which is okay too.

Mann has been decent but you kind of expect a punter and kicker to be competitive if you use a draft pick on one.

The draft class isn't off to a terrible start but I certainly wouldn't write it off as a great success yet either. Keep in mind we are 0-9 so how good can they really be playing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Between Huff, Hall, Davis, and Zuniga, we may have 4 defensive starters and 2 offensive starters (Mims, Becton) from this draft.  That'd be amazing.

The rest of the season should be dedicated to finding out if Hall, Huff, and Zuniga can be legit starters in this league.  I already think Mims, Becton, and Davis are on that trajectory.

35 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I don't have any hope for Mims ever being better than Claypool.  Claypool is a star already.  JD blew that one.

Absolutely absurd take.  Even if you think Claypool is a star already and better than Mims at the moment, there is zero reason to believe Mims absolutely can't be better.  That's an unacceptably rigid POV.  You're giving up on a  guy after THREE games in which he has looked like a very good player while catching passes from subpar QB's.  Absurd to "give up" on him already.  He has WR1 upside, just as he did before he was drafted, and has done nothing to dispel that notion.  

Only siths speak in absolutes.  And yes, I realize that the previous sentence is, in fact, an absolute statement.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Mims will be fine as long as he is healthy.  He's got a unique combination of size and athleticism.

My only concern re Mims was that he seemed too handsy in college and I thought he might get tons of offensive interference penalties in the NFL.  So far so good though so my I'm feeling much better about the pick.      

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely absurd take.  Even if you think Claypool is a star already and better than Mims at the moment, there is zero reason to believe Mims absolutely can't be better.  That's an unacceptably rigid POV.  You're giving up on a  guy after THREE games in which he has looked like a very good player while catching passes from subpar QB's.  Absurd to "give up" on him already.  He has WR1 upside, just as he did before he was drafted, and has done nothing to dispel that notion.  

Only siths speak in absolutes.  And yes, I realize that the previous sentence is, in fact, an absolute statement.

LOL.    It's an opinion, man.  I'm not giving up on Mims.   I just don't think he could ever be as good as Claypool.  I could be wrong but so far, I'm right.

• Upvote 1