Change my underwear: Mark Sanchez is the biggest bust in Jets history and it's not close

Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in the 60 year history of the New York Jets.  He'd be #1 if Joe Namath wasn't in the right place at the right time to be carried to a championship by his defense.

You won't accept that fact.  You should learn to.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in the 60 year history of the New York Jets.  He'd be #1 if Joe Namath wasn't in the right place at the right time to be carried to a championship by his defense.

tSAR I

Holy ****, you have gone off the rails. I hear about guys in lofty financial positions going totally off the rails but sh*t...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Holy ****, you have gone off the rails. I hear about guys in lofty financial positions going totally off the rails but sh*t...

The reason the '68 Jets won the Super Bowl is because Joe Namath stopped throwing and let his defense do their job.

The reason the '10 Jets went to the AFC Championship game is because Mark Sanchez started throwing and bailed out his failing defense.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

22 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

In their playoff wins in 2009 and 2010 the defense gave up 14,14,16 and 21

Please. My god. Please.

The Jets don't make it to the playoffs in 2010 if Mark Sanchez doesn't pull a rabbit out of a hat with 5 fourth quarter miracle comebacks against the Lions, Broncos, Browns, Texans, and Steelers.  That defense was carrying us to a 6-10 record which Mark Sanchez' heroics turned into 11-5.

Go.  Watch.  The.  Games.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The Jets don't make it to the playoffs in 2010 if Mark Sanchez doesn't pull a rabbit out of a hat with 5 fourth quarter miracle comebacks against the Lions, Broncos, Browns, Texans, and Steelers.  That defense was carrying us to a 6-10 record which Mark Sanchez' heroics turned into 11-5.

SAR I

And what happened for 3 and a half quarters in those games? Did Baby Jesus blind the man and then give him his sight back at the end of the story?

I. Watch. The. Whole. Game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Mark Sanchez was the 2nd most successful QB in Jets history. 4 road playoff victories in his first two seasons is some accomplishment. Unfortunately the Tannebaum/ Ryan regime failed to supply him with talented skill position players to truly determine how good he could have been. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mark Sanchez was the 2nd most successful QB in Jets history. 4 road playoff victories in his first two seasons is some accomplishment. Unfortunately the Tannebaum/ Ryan regime failed to supply him with talented skill position players to truly determine how good he could have been. 

So why dont we afford Darnold the same talent and then judge? 

Offensive line - Edge Sanchez

Running backs - Edge Sanchez

Wide Recievers - Edge Sanchez

Tight Ends - Edge Sanchez

Coaching - Edge Sanchez 

Offensive Coordinator - Edge Sanchez

QB Coach - Edge Sanchez

Defense - Edge Sanchez

Ownership Brother - Edge Sanchez

Uniforms - Edge Sanchez

Darnold has had abysmally lower talent around him than Sanchez ever did or any starting QB for any NFL team since that time. Its painfully obvious, and while Darnold may not be the answer anymore, it blows my mind that people can say with a straight face "Darnold just sucks". 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, jgb said:

Darnold remains a sacred cow judging by the board's hissy fit to someone opining that he's the biggest bust in Jets history.

they dont recognize it as a fact. 

never have the Jets spent more on a single player.

who is the worst at his positiion.

he was sposed to lead us forward.

• Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

So why dont we afford Darnold the same talent and then judge? 

Offensive line - Edge Sanchez

Running backs - Edge Sanchez

Wide Recievers - Edge Sanchez

Tight Ends - Edge Sanchez

Coaching - Edge Sanchez 

Offensive Coordinator - Edge Sanchez

QB Coach - Edge Sanchez

Defense - Edge Sanchez

Ownership Brother - Edge Sanchez

Uniforms - Edge Sanchez

Darnold has had abysmally lower talent around him than Sanchez ever did or any starting QB for any NFL team since that time. Its painfully obvious, and while Darnold may not be the answer anymore, it blows my mind that people can say with a straight face "Darnold just sucks". 

Sanchez had decent skill position players in 2009 and 2010.  He eventually lost Braylon Edwards, Brad Smith, Dustin Keller, Jericho Cotchery, Leon Washington, etc and none were adequatley replaced.

As far as Darnold, I agree he hasn't had much to work with at all. Hopefully he will return soon because the current healthy strting receivers (Perriman, Mims and Crowder) are quite good. I have yet to opine that Darnold is a bust.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Its sad that you have no idea what and who Joe Namath was

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Watch those games again

Broncos game, 17-30-190, 2 picks.  Against the 4-12 Broncos, thanks Mark.  

The 6-10 Lions, had to go to OT to win

OT again against the 5-11 Browns

The 6-10 Texans a game we had the lead late, Sanchez pissed it away and came back with a miracle catch by Bray to set up the game winner.  

All games where a good QB isnt trailing in the 4th

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

How do you feel about Geno?

Ok so since Darnold has only played 32 regular season game, this is the like for like comparison with Sanchez...

First 32 regular season games...

Sanchez:

Passing 517 of 931 - 6252 - 33 TDs - 36 INTs

Rushes 70 for 243 - 6 TDs

Darnold:

Passing 624 of 1046 - 6934 - 39 TDs - 34 INTs

Rushes 95 for 338 - 4 TDs

Now consider... 

Sanchez was absolutely loaded with talent around him for those 32 games. Did slightly less with WAY WAY more. 

Darnold performed better, with a tiny fraction of the talent level for the same 32 games. Doing slightly more with WAY WAY less. 

Not sure why people dont understand this. 

You put Sam Darnold on those 2 teams during the AFC Championship games, we win back to back Superbowls. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Drafted number five overall, given four years, in those four years he managed to butt fumble his way to:

55 completion percentage, 60 tds to 69 interceptions and 42 fumbles (20 lost)

He was given:

The best offensive line in football

The best running game

The best defense to keep him out of predictable game scripts

Santonio Holmes

Braylon Edwards

Jerricho Cotchery

Dustin Keller

Good pass catching backs

Holy smokes

Laughing for real!!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Yeah thats why Tanny brought in Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  Added LT & T Richardson to the backfield along with S Green.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

That's because Sanchez was TERRIBLE in the the 1st half of games! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah thats why Tanny brought in Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  Added LT & T Richardson to the backfield along with S Green.  

The belief that the Jets failed to surround Sanchez with weaponz shows conclusively the depths Jets fans will go to excuse terrible QB play.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I know you don’t really know much about the actual game of football but my god. That’s such an awful take, even as a troll job.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

If "success" is determined by being the equivalent of an unpaid intern or entry level worker in the financial success of a Fortune 500 company, then sure, I guess we could call Sanchez "successful".  

Do you consider Trent Dilfer to be a "successful" QB?  Because he had more to do with Baltimore's Super Bowl run in 2000 than Sanchez did in the Jets' 4 playoff wins.

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

After 2010, the skill positions eroded. 

Which merely demonstrated who propped up who.  QB's can't depend on perfect circumstances all the time to succeed in the NFL. 

If Sanchez was worth a damn, he would have lifted the play of his franchise in years 3 and 4, similar to how true franchise QB's continue to produce and win a lot of games even after they get their enormous contracts (preventing the team from spending heavily elsewhere).

I mean, have you SEEN some of the receivers, RB's, OL and defenses that have surrounded Russell Wilson?  Sure, he has DK Metcalf.  But his OL hasn't been good in a long time, the defense is horrific, and his RBs have been hurt all season.  He's still producing and winning a lot of games.

And to think, Mark Sanchez's presence was a big reason this team didn't draft Russell Wilson.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If "success" is determined by being the equivalent of an unpaid intern or entry level worker in the financial success of a Fortune 500 company, then sure, I guess we could call Sanchez "successful".  

Do you consider Trent Dilfer to be a "successful" QB?  Because he had more to do with Baltimore's Super Bowl run in 2000 than Sanchez did in the Jets' 4 playoff wins.

We only play QB Excuse Twister for our QBs. Meanwhile, Watson is overrated, Tom Brady was the product of a system, and Lamar Jackson is figured out.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Watch those games again

Broncos game, 17-30-190, 2 picks.  Against the 4-12 Broncos, thanks Mark.  

The 6-10 Lions, had to go to OT to win

OT again against the 5-11 Browns

The 6-10 Texans a game we had the lead late, Sanchez pissed it away and came back with a miracle catch by Bray to set up the game winner.  

All games where a good QB isnt trailing in the 4th

Bingo. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let me clarify. I didn't say he was the 2nd most talented QB in Jets history, he was the 2nd most successful given his playoff wins. Im not arguing how good he was, my point is that Tanny let the offensive skill positions on the Jets erode terribly. They let Woodhead go, never really replaced Leon Washington, also let Edwards, Brad Smith, Jericho Cotcher and Dustin Keller walk.  None were replaced with equal talent. LT had his moments in 2010 but certainly was not the player he was with the Chargers and did very little in 2011. 

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Let me clarify. I didn't say he was the 2nd most talented QB in Jets history, he was the 2nd most successful given his playoff wins. Im not arguing how good he was, my point is that Tanny let the offensive skill positions on the Jets erode terribly. They let Woodhead go, never really replaced Leon Washington, also let Edwards, Brad Smith, Jericho Cotcher and Dustin Keller walk.  None were replaced with equal talent. LT had his moments in 2010 but certainly was not the player he was with the Chargers and did very little in 2011. 

OK.  Then please define "successful".  I don't think being dragged along for wins, and being the worst player on the field for either team, makes one "successful".  

And meanwhile, was Trent Dilfer "successful"?

As for the "talent eroding" issue, see my other post:

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which merely demonstrated who propped up who.  QB's can't depend on perfect circumstances all the time to succeed in the NFL. 

If Sanchez was worth a damn, he would have lifted the play of his franchise in years 3 and 4, similar to how true franchise QB's continue to produce and win a lot of games even after they get their enormous contracts (preventing the team from spending heavily elsewhere).

I mean, have you SEEN some of the receivers, RB's, OL and defenses that have surrounded Russell Wilson?  Sure, he has DK Metcalf.  But his OL hasn't been good in a long time, the defense is horrific, and his RBs have been hurt all season.  He's still producing and winning a lot of games.

And to think, Mark Sanchez's presence was a big reason this team didn't draft Russell Wilson.

• Upvote 1