Mims - Metcalf Comparison

BCJet

Not a fair comparison. 
D.K Metcalf is blessed with a future HOF QB in Russell Wilson who opposing defenses have to focus on first and foremost. 
While Denzel Mims is stuck with an old statue in Joe Flacco and an absolute NFL bust in Sam Darnold...
NCAA Stats:
Denzel Mims: 40 games. 186 receptions (4.65 catches per game), 2,925 receiving yards (73.1 receiving yards per game), 15.7 yards per catch and 28 TD receptions (0.7 TD receptions per game). 
D.K Metcalf: 21 games. 67 receptions (3.19 catches per game), 1,228 receiving yards (58.4 receiving yards per game), 18.3 yards pee catch and 14 TD receptions (0.6 TD receptions per game). 
So is it that D.K Metcalf is really "better' than Denzel Mims or is it that D.K Metcalf has RUSSELL WILSON and Denzel Mims doesn't? 
Their first 5 NFL games:
Denzel Mims: 17 receptions, 284 receiving yards and 0 TD's (catch rate of 51.5%). 
D.K Metcalf: 12 receptions, 267 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions (catch rate of 46.2%). 
Reverse and switch up the tables and put Denzel Mims with Russell Wilson over the past two years and stick Metcalf alongside both Flacco/Darnold throughout his first 5 NFL games and I guarantee you that Denzel Mims would blow D.K Metcalf out the waters under these circumstances...
Russel wilson and Joe flacco have the same number of superbowl wins

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I honestly see Mims as a slightly less version of prime A.J. green if he improves his route running

Mims is Braylon Edwards without the off field issues - which is good and potentially very good

DK is more like Megatron.  In fact, his name is Voltron

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

Mims hasn’t run by anybody yet from what I’ve seen. I think next year with some coaching and a healthy hammy stretch we’ll see him get more separation on go routes.

DK flies past people. When he gets past people he increases the separation, still waiting to see that from Denzel

Mims is a good route runner already despite being a rookie with no camp and very little practice.  I like his hands too

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

3 very very different players youre comparing with those physicals..  Only similarity between mims and metcalfs game was that they were both seen as a straight line speed big tall WR who needed route running work.  

The notion that route running ability is not as important in todays game i just flat out have to disagree with.  Watch these games closely, the route running ability is offfffff the charts on these top guys.  And heres the crazy thing... normally youd think its just the smaller guys like edleman that run these surgical routes, naaa not anymore, these big guys are getting into the mix.   

Jefferson already this year has flashed top notch route running ability.  His second TD last week was masssssterful, literally you can teach to that film.  DK to his insane credit has so significantly improved his route running you wouldnt believe he was the same player you saw coming out of Ole Miss.   The difference with the bigger faster guys like him is that he probably takes an extra step coming out of his breaks because of his size and the force he's applying to the route, but even with that his break point and set up of routes is so vastly improved its one of the main reasons if not the number 1 reason he's having the season he is having. 

Mims has a chance to be really really good, he's gotta bulk up a little bit and work on his route running which he's behind the 8 ball a little bit because of the hammy issues this year.  Already though you see he's improved in some areas of the game that he was critisized coming out on, Break points are slightly better, still needs work on his hip drop, and his release moves have been effective so far even if he needs to improve its much better than I saw at baylor. 

I dont disagree with anything you wrote and I wasn't really discounting route running.  Moreso that route running is something that can be improved while the ability to simply make a catch even when you are covered isnt and thats where I see the DK-Mims comparison. Jefferson is an excellent route runner and he was included in the comparison more because of his stats as a rookie.

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Mims hasn’t run by anybody yet from what I’ve seen. I think next year with some coaching and a healthy hammy stretch we’ll see him get more separation on go routes.

DK flies past people. When he gets past people he increases the separation, still waiting to see that from Denzel

Yea, I think hes still working back from the Hamstring which is going to affect his speed.  Hopefully he is 100% healthy in 2021

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I honestly see Mims as a slightly less version of prime A.J. green if he improves his route running

This!  AJ Green is exactly who I see in Mims.  A little of Allen Robinson as well.  Either way Mims is looking like he could be a steal in the 2nd round is definitely #1 WR potential.  He's a little raw, but the natural talent and ability is definitely there.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dcJet said:

This is so over the top.

Toon was great. DK is great.  Claypool is already a star.  Mims hasn't done d*ck.

There's gotta be a more intelligent way to express that than "mImZ hAsN't dOnE dIcK" 

And Claypool is a star. Claypool is playing with Ben Roethlisberger and an undefeated team that throws the ball more than anyone, is 53rd in the league in receptions, 36th in yards, 27th in average. Over the last five games he has 22 catches on 41 targets (that's not good) and is averaging 8.8 per reception (also not good).

Kinda over the top, no?

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I'll take that! Especially if we can get a WR1a - I'll take that any day. Easily the best WR combo we have had since Marshall & Decker in their prime year when they both balled out. 

Actually, I think that is a pretty good comparison. Decker was the best WR we had had in sometime his first year here, but he was still just short of ideal as the top guy. We brought in a legitimate number 1 WR that required the defense's attention and Decker was that much better because of it. Maybe Mims develops into a legit #1. He has improved drastically every game in a shortened season with no offseason in his rookie year. Maybe by next year he is THE guy. But if not, he is already a fantastic first piece to an offence and if players like Jefferson have proved anything, it's that you can find stud WR's outside of the top of the 1st. Man, is Jefferson making the Vikings look like geniuses for trading Diggs. They got no drop off in production on a rookie contract and still have Thielen 

• Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, JTJet said:

Give me a direct comparison of their entire 2020 seasons without mentioning Russell Wilson. 

When Mims puts up a season like Metcalf is having, we can compare more closely. 

I dont give two sh*ts about their college stats right now. 

You're lucky he's not breaking out Peewee football stats and the recruitment process for their middle school team.  

14 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Disagree with the Metcalf comparison. Different body types.

Ceiling: A.J. Green

Floor: Stephen Hill

So far I am encouraged, but it's still early. Let's not get carried away. We've been fooled by a rookie with a small sample size before (Chris Herndon).

These comparisons are crazy but he is already far surpassed what Stephen Hill EVER showed talent wise. That floor isn't fair at all imo

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

These comparisons are crazy but he is already far surpassed what Stephen Hill EVER showed talent wise. That floor isn't fair at all imo

Stephen Hill scored two TDs in his first NFL game as a rookie.  Mims hasn't found the end zone in several games.

Like I said, I'm encouraged so far, but Mims hasn't done anything yet.  I am confident he is going to surpass his floor easily, but it is what it is at this point.  Let's just hope he can stay on the field and continue to progress.

17 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Stephen Hill scored two TDs in his first NFL game as a rookie.  Mims hasn't found the end zone in several games.

Like I said, I'm encouraged so far, but Mims hasn't done anything yet.  I am confident he is going to surpass his floor easily, but it is what it is at this point.  Let's just hope he can stay on the field and continue to progress.

Hill was a one game wonder who had hands of stone and couldn’t run routes

Comparing him to Mims is way off base

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2020 at 8:17 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I wanted the Jets to grab their nuts and take DK at #3 Overall, but what do I know.....

Hey man, Welcome back :) 

I remember that. There were a few of you that thought DK at #3.  Turned out he's pretty good huh?  Damn 3 cone lol 

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:27 PM, JetBlue said:

GB I remember you and I going back and forth over who we liked better, Claypool or Mims.  It turns out we were right about both.   

RIght. but in your defense Claypool was a bit more of an unknown at the time. The NFL tried to make him do TE drills at the combine. You wee ahead of the curve man. :) 

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:28 PM, Marshmello said:

A talent evaluator said Mims is faster Ashlon Jeffrey. I thought that was the best comparison so far.  Metcalf is just a freak.

This is a great post!!!

Especially the part which i did not know which is JD played Becton’s Dad in high school!! :) 

On 12/5/2020 at 7:54 AM, GREENBEAN said:

RIght. but in your defense Claypool was a bit more of an unknown at the time. The NFL tried to make him do TE drills at the combine. You wee ahead of the curve man. :) 

Hey I didn't think he would be this good so soon!  I am guessing a lot of that has to do with Pittsburgh and Big Ben.  It's funny but if he were on the Jets and Mims was on the Steelers, he would still be good (just as Mims is showing) but I bet folks would be saying, " yeah but he isn't as good as Mims... blah, blah."  ?

• Haha 1