HC Candidate Wink Martindale

Rhg1084

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I just read a report he'd be trying to bring Tony Elliot from Clemson as OC and Lovie Smith or Marvin Lewis as DC?

That would be quite the staff.  Going after an established DC/Former Head Coach is something I think would be really smart as well.  Lets focus on the entire club, but have a trusted vet to help a rookie HC.  

Tony Elliot makes like 1.5 mill a year at Clemson.   Martindale “wanted” Joe Brady last year too. Is this just pie in the skying on interviews or does he have the gravitas (and the budget) to get something like that done? Be careful here with candidates just floating out names. Hell- why not just interview Elliot or Brady for HC themselves? They’d be more intriguing hires than Martindale would be.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Tony Elliot makes like 1.5 mill a year at Clemson.   Martindale “wanted” Joe Brady last year too. Is this just pie in the skying on interviews or does he have the gravitas (and the budget) to get something like that done? Be careful here with candidates just floating out names. Hell- why not just interview Elliot or Brady for HC themselves? They’d be more intriguing hires than Martindale would be.

Jets will have the budget, but I don't see Elliott leaving his post for this job. 

Graham Harrell would be a more realistic hire. 

12 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

If that report is accurate, it would be quite an exciting hire.

I dont see how Tony Elliot comes here. Had we got Trevor it would make sense, but I dont see the NFL connection.  He graduated from Clemson and has coached there since 2011 - why exactly would he want to move to NY/NJ?

Martindale seems like a JD type of coach so id be fine with it, but OC will be a huge task.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

I think he's an awesome guy, and he's the perfect version of Rex Ryan - less hyperbole/bravado, more discipline - but I'm not convinced he's the right coach for this team. His upside comp is Mike Zimmer. He's culture driven, demanding-but-loved by his players, a "hands-on" CEO-type, will coach the players available to him, and has a lot of relationships which will allow him to attract coaching talent. 

Mike Zimmer would probably be a best-case scenario, and while Zimmer has been a very solid having amassed a 65-50-1 record in his 6 years coaching the Vikings (3 playoff births, 1 .500 record, 2 losing records). He could easily be another Romeo Crennell or Vic Fangio. Either way, neither are necessarily what I'm looking for. 

Martindale will win a lot of fans over if hired, but I just don't know if he's the type of coach to build the team into a power-house. Instead, he feels like the coach that will make us relevant again rather than the one who will build a year-in year-out winner. 

I think however, outside of Campbell (who has his own risks associated with him transitioning from college, and the fact that he hasnt committed to taking interviews yet) there really isnt many other coaches on the market that offer that stability that Martindale will bring. 

Now you may be right, he may not provide the upside as a coach to build the team into a year in year out winner, but everything you say there about stability and being culture driven is pretty much aligned to what this organization needs.  Now I will admit I believe that Campbell is probably the best hire out of the rumored men to be on the list, but short of him I dont really see many others that can provide what Wink can provide from a coaching standpoint to building a really talented coaching staff.  That staff may be the pivot point as well to push the team from good to great. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think however, outside of Campbell (who has his own risks associated with him transitioning from college, and the fact that he hasnt committed to taking interviews yet) there really isnt many other coaches on the market that offer that stability that Martindale will bring. 

Now you may be right, he may not provide the upside as a coach to build the team into a year in year out winner, but everything you say there about stability and being culture driven is pretty much aligned to what this organization needs.  Now I will admit I believe that Campbell is probably the best hire out of the rumored men to be on the list, but short of him I dont really see many others that can provide what Wink can provide from a coaching standpoint to building a really talented coaching staff.  That staff may be the pivot point as well to push the team from good to great. 

I get that a lot of Jets fans are gun shy after all of our past DC—>1st time HC hires, but that shouldn’t preclude us from hiring the best candidate (whomever that ends up being).

Belichick, McDermott, Flores, Carrol, Vrabel, Tomlin, Rivera, are all really good to great coaches with a defensive background.

I think Martindale will be a real good hire. My only fear is a Quinn-Shanahan situation where Martindale hires a great OC who leaves and we never full recover from it.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Replace Martindale with Bowles in these two paragraphs. 

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I get that a lot of Jets fans are gun shy after all of our past DC—>1st time HC hires, but that shouldn’t preclude us from hiring the best candidate (whomever that ends up being).

Belichick, McDermott, Flores, Carrol, Vrabel, Tomlin, Rivera, are all really good to great coaches with a defensive background.

I think Martindale will be a real good hire. My only fear is a Quinn-Shanahan situation where Martindale hires a great OC who leaves and we never full recover from it.

There are a bevy of young college coaches who have won and built multiple programs the Jets should at least be looking at. Hiring a DC to oversee a team and especially an offense that has been bad for a decade....well, why is it going to work this time? Time to do things differently, imo.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

There are a bevy of young college coaches who have won and built multiple programs the Jets should at least be looking at. Hiring a DC to oversee a team and especially an offense that has been bad for a decade....well, why is it going to work this time? Time to do things differently, imo.

Martindale isn’t my first pick, Matt Campbell is.

I’d love Campbell, and would be interested in Fleck or Mullen from college.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Doing the same thing and hoping for different results would be a lot less damaging than what is actually going to happen.

12 hours ago, football guy said:

Martindale will win a lot of fans over if hired, but I just don't know if he's the type of coach to build the team into a power-house. Instead, he feels like the coach that will make us relevant again rather than the one who will build a year-in year-out winner. 

Good counter post. 

I would echo those concerns but expand them to include most OCs/DCs... some will be HC material, many will not. Or at least not in the sense of being enough to do more than flirt with 10-6 and a wildcard spot. 

He's a popular young up-and-comer in the coaching ranks. Interviewed with Philadelphia last offseason but opted to stay in USC because PHI only offered "OC by title only" rather than the opportunity to be a play-caller. Similar offensive philosophy to Joe Brady and Tony Elliott. Unlike Elliott, Harrell is not in the safest situation at USC being that Clay Helton is on the hot seat and is more of an "if not when" as it pertains to coaching in the NFL. 
Harrell runs a spread offense with Air Raid/WCO principles and has been praised for his ability to coach the QB position. He's big on simplicity, timing, and footwork - all things that Gase struggled coaching and the biggest reasons for Darnold's regression. Harrell's two basic principles: (1) keep things simple; and (2) be loose and have fun. Rebuilding Darnold's footwork while implementing a simplified, spread-it-out game plan would allow Darnold (or a rookie QB) to use their talent and just play which in turn (should) help that player gain confidence in the short-term. 
My guess is a team hiring Harrell to be their OC would pair him with another coach coordinating the run game, which has become "en vouge" in the NFL (see CLE, MIN, LAR, PHI, SEA, SF, TB). 

Keep an eye out for him if Martindale or Lewis nab the job. 

Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Good counter post. 

I would echo those concerns but expand them to include most OCs/DCs... some will be HC material, many will not. Or at least not in the sense of being enough to do more than flirt with 10-6 and a wildcard spot. 

These are absolutely concerns, and I dont think anyone who is in favor of Wink becoming the coach would argue that there are very clear risks to hiring coordinators considering majority are middling at best.  The issue becomes how many really viable true "HC" candidates are there out there to consider?  Who have we heard?  Well NFL ranks its Lewis, O'brien, and Caldwell.  College its everyones number 1 pick basically in Campbell, Fitzgerald, then no one else has really been rumored to be being looked at... aside from the pipe dreams of Dabo, Meyer, and Riley all three of which are not coming here. 

Fact is we missed that hire last cycle with the College true HC/ program builder with Rhule.  However you feel about him he was a guy that fit the bill of what people are looking for now and were looking for then, and in this rare instance he had mutual interest in the job.  The Jets dropped the ball.  We have to move on. 

So unless Campbell has a change of heart and decides to interview for the job, in which case I expect a full court press from the Jets, then where do they turn to?  The best option in that case may just be a coordinator even though it wouldnt be the most preferable situation to turn to again.