Sam back? Don’t kill the messenger

Just now, Icer said:

We just have to hope the JD/Jets love Sam talk is PR to up his trade value. I can't handle the alternative right now

Yep. 

It's interesting because you hear that the Jets love Darnold EVERYWHERE. 

I'd like to believe that it's a smokescreen but I honestly don't right now. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Have fun thinking this is guaranteed.  No one really knows exactly what his market value will be when it comes time to trade him.  

I will!  That is what I think.  If I am wrong, I will admit it.  But I will go on record right now as saying I think we will get at least a 3rd round pick for Sam Darnold if we trade him.  AT LEAST.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Well! They’re in love with the kid as a person- it’s hard not to be. Let’s face it- he got screwed royally here and they know that- it’s on their conscience. He has said and done everything like a complete professional.

Having said that. They also know the above mentioned great kid is not the player many thought he’d be. Let’s hope they make the right decision for the right reasons.

Maybe we should target a hard drinking womanizer with a rocket arm and quick release?  

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, football guy said:

Joe Douglas is running point on the search and I've heard he wants to move forward with Sam, but will not force him on a candidate. If the best candidate makes a compelling case for moving on and drafting a QB at #2, it could happen, but I still think that Douglas wants a coach who will have a plan to get the most out of the players presently on the roster, rather than replace them with unproven ones.

So then why stockpile draft picks if you think your existing players are good and just need better coaching. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Taking a job based entirely on an unproven QB who had statistically been a bottom 3 QB his rookie season is a silly idea.

A GM or HC coveting, say, the Chargers job after watching Herbert play at an OROY level his rookie season?  Understandable.  A GM or HC hoping to get paired with Darnold after his play in year 1, not so much.

JD took the job because he had a chance to be a GM.  Period.  He did not take it based entirely on Sam Darnold.   If you were offered a chance at such a job, you would jump at it.  The problem with the Jets job has been the teams desire to change its leaders hip like we change our underwear, which leads to lower quality experienced candidates, or hungry first timers.  This franchise has a absolutely BRUTAL fan base.  They want everyone fired every time someone loses.  There was actual talk on here about replacing Becton after he had his first bad game.  That is how insane this fanbase is.  So we are relegated with finding a first-time hungry guy with a big ego who believes HE will be the catalyst in turning a perennial loser into a perennial contender.

Sam Darnold was a HIGHLY sought after commodity the year he was drafted.  That is just plain-ole fact.  Look at how many homers came out of the woods when he drafted him.  OUR SAVIOUR!

But like a rookie should, he took his lumps.  But there was no reason to think he would regress like he did.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

But like a rookie should, he took his lumps.  But there was no reason to think he would regress like he did.

I actually agree with this. 

I think even his biggest critics after years 1-2 did not see him becoming as bad as he was this year. 

But, at the end of the day, he did regress. He did become this bad. It would take a lot of balls to put your stock in Darnold going forward, regardless of what you thought about him three years ago (I personally LOVED him, as well)

• Upvote 2

Colin Cowherd said something interesting. Now, this guy is always 100% wrong. I knew Sam was a sub-par QB, because Colin liked him.....he didn't need to take an NFL snap. Colin vouching for him is enough.....

(Btw, he said Burrow was a good story, that is all.....)

Today, he said, "People who constantly talk about crappy QBs, are trying to convince themselves, not everyone else" Paraphrasing.

Now, he should know this better than anybody...being a Sam guy himself LOL......

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think even his biggest critics after years 1-2 did not see him becoming as bad as he was this year. 

But, at the end of the day, he did regress. He did become this bad. It would take a lot of balls to put your stock in Darnold going forward, regardless of what you thought about him three years ago (I personally LOVED him, as well)

Difficult to regress from being a bottom 3 QB.

He got worse but was bad to begin with.  Including his time at USC.  

• Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

How is this even possible? Sams the worst ranked QB sense entering the league how could anyone have a high evaluation of him? if so we need a new GM period.

You can build a fortress around Sam give him a all-pro WR cast and he will still suck. He struggles with poor decision making and accuracy, something a new coach, WR, O-Line,  won’t fix. 

Sam Darnold is a bum and won’t be successful in this league, it’s over

10+ teams feel the same way. Chris Ballard, Bill Belichick, Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll, Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, John Elway, Tony Romo, Tom Telesco, Sean Payton, Daniel Jeremiah, Dan Orlovsky, are just a few of the man respected talent evaluators who feel he has the ability and intangibles to be an elite starting QB in the NFL. 

But "oatmeal" knows better.

Give me a break. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, football guy said:

10+ teams feel the same way. Chris Ballard, Bill Belichick, Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll, Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, John Elway, Tony Romo, Tom Telesco, Sean Payton, Daniel Jeremiah, Dan Orlovsky, are just a few of the man respected talent evaluators who feel he has the ability and intangibles to be an elite starting QB in the NFL. 

Give me a break. 

He's had 3 seasons. Let these guys feel this way. The results are the results.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GothamLurker said:

Colin Cowherd said something interesting. Now, this guy is always 100% wrong. I knew Sam was a sub-par QB, because Colin liked him.....he didn't need to take an NFL snap. Colin vouching for him is enough.....

(Btw, he said Burrow was a good story, that is all.....)

Today, he said, "People who constantly talk about crappy QBs, are trying to convince themselves, not everyone else" Paraphrasing.

Now, he should know this better than anybody...being a Sam guy himself LOL......

Lmaoooo, so true 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, he was never good, but he did make a modest jump from year 1 to year 2 so the hope was that he could make a big jump from year 2 to year 3. But he went the opposite way and now you have to figure his confidence is shot. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Give me a break. 

Yeah but how many of those are hitching their job to Sam turning his career around. Any of them can say Sam is great , bad situation, but would any of them trade for him or sign him . Talk is cheap when you have nothing to lose. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He's had 3 seasons. Let these guys feel this way. The results are the results.

No doubt, totally agree. But the point everyone seems to blatantly ignore is that Douglas wants to build the team around the QB, and I'm not really sure he cares whether Sam Darnold were under center or Joe Flacco... his stance may be the exact same. However, it's more convincing/easier to pitch bypassing a QB in favor of trading down when you do have a 23 year old QB with elite traits who is so well liked around the league and believed to be redeemable. 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Give me a break. 

No give me a break because you think the sweet nothings they tell you on a tv screen are they’re actual feelings. ?

Riddle me this Batman, when have you ever heard a coach or evaluator say anything bad about a player? These are professional athletes and you can literally reach for anything to shower praise, even if it isn’t exactly praise worthy. It’s for the gullible, they eat stuff like this up and treat it like gospel. 

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’m selling, would you like to purchase it?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.

His yards per attempt dropped by almost a full yard. His TD% dropped by almost 2%. His passing yards dropped by almost 50 yards a game. His passer rating dropped by over 12 points.

That's a huge decline. If he improved by these amounts he'd be "good."

The fact that he went from "bottom 10 QB with upside" to "worst QB in the entire league" shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

No give me a break because you think the sweet nothings they tell you on a tv screen are they’re actual feelings. ?

Riddle me this Batman, when have you ever heard a coach or evaluator say anything bad about a player? These are professional athletes and you can literally reach for anything to shower praise, even if it isn’t exactly praise worthy. It’s for the gullible, they eat stuff like this up and treat it like gospel. 

It's like when analysts called Jamal Adams the best Safety and one of the best defensive players in the game, but stopped short when asked if they'd give up two first rounders for him.  It became "A 1st and a 3rd" or something like that.  They by and large also didn't think it would be wise to hand him $17M+ per season.  After Seattle made that trade, most thought it was too much to give.

It's easy to praise a player.  Actually establishing his worth and what to invest in him is a different matter entirely.  Being the one to actually have to make that call and put your job on the line, an entirely different beast.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's like when analysts called Jamal Adams the best Safety and one of the best defensive players in the game, but stopped short when asked if they'd give up two first rounders for him.  It became "A 1st and a 3rd" or something like that.  They by and large also didn't think it would be wise to hand him $17M+ per season.

It's easy to praise a player.  Actually establishing his worth and what to invest in him is a different matter entirely.  Being the one to actually have to make that call and put your job on the line, an entirely different beast.

100% truth 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.

His yards per attempt dropped by almost a full yard. His TD% dropped by almost 2%. His passing yards dropped by almost 50 yards a game. His passer rating dropped by over 12 points.

That's a huge decline. If he improved by these amounts he'd be "good."

The fact that he went from "bottom 10 QB with upside" to "worst QB in the entire league" shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Worst quarterback in the entire league isn't an unusual outcome for bottom 10 quarterback with upside.

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's nice that these teams throw out these useless platitudes saying Darnold is better than he's shown.  It's quite a different thing when it comes time to put your money where your mouth is.  Would any of these people give up a 2nd round pick to acquire Darnold, if given the power to make that decision?  Would all of them forego taking Fields or Zach Wilson to "stick with Sam" another year?

It does not matter whatsoever what the analysts or even the other coaches/GM's think about Darnold.  Unless they are the ones who have to make the tough decision on whether to keep or acquire him, and whether to install him as a starter, it's just silly opinions with no accountability behind them.

And yes, Oatmeal knows better.  Sam Darnold sucks.  And QB's who suck tend to continue to suck unless your  name is Josh Allen, Jim Plunkett, Steve Young or Rich Gannon.  

Exactly. 

Also, I've seen Steve Young brought up a lot, but Steve Young actually only sucked for 19 games over two seasons in Tampa (only half of Darnold's tenure here) - a considerably smaller sample size of suckitude.  Gannon is another tough comparison because he actually only played in 7 games in his first three seasons. 

The only really good example of what Darnold fans are hoping for is Jim Plunkett and that was a million years ago in a vastly different era. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, football guy said:

Give me a break. 

None of them have ANY stake in Darnold, and his outcome doesn't effect them, their careers, or their wallets in the least.

When was the last time Gruden DIDN'T love a Quarterback??

Dan Orlovsky is full of sh*t...

Billichick was ******* trolling the Jets, as usual. 

C'mon, man.

When the best the Jets can get for this "Potential Franchise QB" is a 4th rounder and a conditional 2022 6th Rounder, you'll have you actual answer. 

Geez, for a real "Football Guy", you're kinda gullible. Wait, are you Mike Maccagnan??

?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

No doubt, totally agree. But the point everyone seems to blatantly ignore is that Douglas wants to build the team around the QB, and I'm not really sure he cares whether Sam Darnold were under center or Joe Flacco... his stance may be the exact same. However, it's more convincing/easier to pitch bypassing a QB in favor of trading down when you do have a 23 year old QB with elite traits who is so well liked around the league and believed to be redeemable. 

this is exactly why I think a trade down scenario is the most likely outcome.  Especially coupled with the actual trade packages that are probable to be coming JD's way for the second pick.  When you look at it in that light it becomes is fields/wilson better than Darnold and a large assortment of draft picks.  I'm not sure JD will side with the former. 

9 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

this is exactly why I think a trade down scenario is the most likely outcome.  Especially coupled with the actual trade packages that are probable to be coming JD's way for the second pick.  When you look at it in that light it becomes is fields/wilson better than Darnold and a large assortment of draft picks.  I'm not sure JD will side with the former. 

But yet I guarantee that logic wouldn't fly if it was Lawrence instead of Fields (and rightfully so). And I've said before that while I still think Lawrence is QB1, the gap between him and Fields isn't that wide. But by their thoughts, they seem to think that. 

This is why I listen to these so called scouts/analysts anymore. They basically have a groupthink mentality and go along with whatever is pushed by whoever.

That's why when people push the opinions of those like they're the end all be all, I just laugh my ass off

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's nice that these teams/coaches/analysts throw out these useless platitudes saying Darnold is better than he's shown.  It's quite a different thing when it comes time to put your money where your mouth is.  Would any of these people give up a 2nd round pick to acquire Darnold, if given the power to make that decision?  Would all of them forego taking Fields or Zach Wilson to "stick with Sam" another year?

It does not matter whatsoever what the analysts or even the other coaches/GM's think about Darnold.  Unless they are the ones who have to make the tough decision on whether to keep or acquire him, and whether to install him as a starter, it's just silly opinions with no accountability behind them if they're wrong, just like the ones you find on this message board.  

So yes, @oatmeal DOES know better.  Sam Darnold sucks.  And QB's who suck tend to continue to suck unless your name is Josh Allen, Jim Plunkett, Steve Young or Rich Gannon (compared to the dozens and dozens of Paxton Lynch's, DeShone Kizer's, Mark Sanchez's, Geno Smith's, Joey Harrington's, Brady Quinn's, Christian Hackenberg's, Christian Ponder's, Brock Osweiler's, Tim Couch's, Marcus Mariota's, Brandon Weeden's, EJ Manuel's, Jake Locker's, Blaine Gabbert's, Josh Freeman's etc etc in league history). 

You don't "build around" such a QB after 3 years of suckage in this league.  You move on.  And if Joe Douglas has seen what we've all seen and still determines that Darnold can be salvaged, making it worth passing on a QB in the draft, then he sucks at his job, too.  

Going rate will be a second round pick. Appreciate your view, but it's based on false equivalences and comparison fallacies. 

The same fans who are pouting how necessary it is to trade Darnold are the same fans who said the same about Leonard Williams because he sucked, or that drafting Quinnen Williams over Josh Allen (JAX) was foolish. It's never that simple.

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

I'm not citing "what I hear on TV". I'm citing people who I know that have worked in the industry for 10+ years and who know the right people. You know what's gullible? Fans like you who watch the TV screen, see gaudy stats, and assume you have it all figured out. 

I'm guessing you think Fields is a slam dunk based on the Clemson game. Must have been a Haskins fan too ?

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Going rate will be a second round pick. Appreciate your view, but it's based on false equivalences and comparison fallacies. 

The same fans who are pouting how necessary it is to trade Darnold are the same fans who said the same about Leonard Williams because he sucked, or that drafting Quinnen Williams over Josh Allen (JAX) was foolish. It's never that simple.

I'm not citing "what I hear on TV". I'm citing people who I know that have worked in the industry for 10+ years and who know the right people. You know what's gullible? Fans like you who watch the TV screen, see gaudy stats, and assume you have it all figured out. 

I'm guessing you think Fields is a slam dunk based on the Clemson game. Must have been a Haskins fan too ?

Can verify that the going rate for Darnold currently is over a 2nd.  Colts right now would offer a 2nd and a 5th for him and thats without negotiation and bidding against other teams.  A LOT of people like Darnold, the fan base here doesnt like him, but others really do. 

I'm not 100% advocating for keeping him, but it is what I feel JD is heavily leaning towards.  Obviously things can change, especially with the HC hire, but as of right now people should listen to what @football guy is saying.  He's spot on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, King P said:

But yet I guarantee that logic wouldn't fly if it was Lawrence instead of Fields (and rightfully so). And I've said before that while I still think Lawrence is QB1, the gap between him and Fields isn't that wide. But by their thoughts, they seem to think that. 

This is why I listen to these so called scouts/analysts anymore. They basically have a groupthink mentality and go along with whatever is pushed by whoever.

That's why when people push the opinions of those like they're the end all be all, I just laugh my ass off

As of right now with information at hand I do believe that Darnold and Picks would be JD's call, obviously the new HC and pre draft process can have a large effect on that decision.  We will see how it plays out, but as of now, it certainly looks that way.  

And yes Lawrence does change that perspective, while many dont perceive the talent gap between them as very wide, there is a developmental gap and scheme versatility gap that I believe puts Lawrence firmly in the drivers seat.  My opinion however, which to many on here may not be worth much. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Can verify that the going rate for Darnold currently is over a 2nd.  Colts right now would offer a 2nd and a 5th for him and thats without negotiation and bidding against other teams.  A LOT of people like Darnold, the fan base here doesnt like him, but others really do. 

I'm not 100% advocating for keeping him, but it is what I feel JD is heavily leaning towards.  Obviously things can change, especially with the HC hire, but as of right now people should listen to what @football guy is saying.  He's spot on. 

Problem is people are so divisive on these topics. You can not like Sam Darnold and acknowledge that the Jets may choose to trade down for the sole reason of looking to stack the roster. You can also not like Sam Darnold and acknowledge that he's a talented 23-year-old QB. It's not that hard... You can also like Sam Darnold and understand that drafting a QB at #2 makes sense if the staff is all in on that prospect. 

Douglas wants to build the roster around the QB position, not necessarily Sam Darnold. It helps that Douglas believes Darnold has what it takes to be a great starting QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

Problem is people are so divisive on these topics. You can not like Sam Darnold and acknowledge that the Jets may choose to trade down for the sole reason of looking to stack the roster. You can also not like Sam Darnold and acknowledge that he's a talented 23-year-old QB. It's not that hard... You can also like Sam Darnold and understand that drafting a QB at #2 makes sense if the staff is all in on that prospect. 

Douglas wants to build the roster around the QB position, not necessarily Sam Darnold. It helps that Douglas believes Darnold has what it takes to be a great starting QB. 

100% the points are not mutually exclusive.  You can have an opinion on Sam and still believe that something that goes against that opinion is possible or reality.  

Its a shame really

1 hour ago, football guy said:

But most who want to trade down or not draft a QB state it's to stack the roster. With all the picks and FA cap space both can be accomplished while still selecting a  QB at 2 . 

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

No doubt.  But this league is NOTORIOUS for reclamation projects.  Teams LOVE the idea of taking a highly touted prospect and trying to turn them around.  Darnold was one of the top ten QB prospects in the past decade.  Someone will bite.