Sam back? Don’t kill the messenger

10 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

IMO comes down to the HC and Darnolds trade value. 

You can’t say there were teams lining up and Douglas isn’t listening. If he’s passing on a 2nd round pick or something for him, then boy oh boy am I gonna sour on JD. 

Trade value has nothing to do with it.

You move on because you dont think he can get it done.  If you then dont get as much as you were hoping for you dont stick with the QB you dont think can get it done

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Darnold is getting another year.  They probably won't excercise his 5th year and will see what happens next year.  If he excells, he gets a contract or a tag.  

If he shts the bed then you presumably have 3 first round picks plus some addtl early round picks to get whatever you want.

This.

Sam is under the last year of his rookie deal for 2021. If JD doesn't feel he is getting the right offers, draft a QB and let Sam battle it out with the rookie. At worst, we let him walk in 2022 and get a compensatory pick.

• Upvote 1

Keeping Sammy and building around him is the ONLY scenario that makes any sense. All of you yahoos suggesting the Jets trade Sammy have no idea what the hell you're talking about? Sammy deserves an opportunity with a decent supporting cast.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This definitely worries me, but the big question will be - what does the new coach think of Sam?

I would expect most new coaches to want to start fresh with their own guy and not be saddled with the burden of having to turn a 4th year QB around. 

The caveat here is that Douglas could only focus on coaches who like Darnold, which would be a huge mistake. 

The big question is what does the new coach think of Sam and does Joe Douglas have the ability to hire a coach who wants to move on from Sam and draft a QB with the number 2 overall pick. 

When I heard that Joe Douglas was going to be leading the search for the next Head Coach I was happy. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if we find out that Joe Douglas can pick the next Head Coach, but he has to believe in Sam Darnold. 

8 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Keeping Sammy and building around him is the ONLY scenario that makes any sense. All of you yahoos suggesting the Jets trade Sammy have no idea what the hell you're talking about? Sammy deserves an opportunity with a decent supporting cast.

Sammy :( 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, genot said:

Darnold has all the tools to be a franchise QB. No QB would have succeeded in a Gase offense with very little talent around him. The offense has been broken. Not Sam. Douglas was a Ravens scout for 14 years. You think you're a better evaluator than him.

Ah the old secret-franchise-QB-in-hiding gag. When do we get the big reveal?

1 hour ago, genot said:

That's funny. No team would trade for a Geno Smith. Thers are a bunch that would trade fir Sam. Including the Steelers. Why trade for a bust.

That’s your bar? And I thought you liked Sam lol 

11 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

1. Professionals deserve nothing. He was paid for his services and he isn’t doing the job. Buh bye.

2. Then you’re going to really hate JD in a couple months when he does something you consider nonsensical.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I can't see Joe Douglas and a new Head Coach passing on a QB at 2.

Sam has put nothing on tape that would make the Jets feel good about committing to him long term, and both the GM and HC are not the ones who were here when he was drafted.

Unless JD doesn't like Fields or Wilson, I gotta believe he's going to take one of them. There's just nothing you can point to with Sam and feel all that good about. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The big question is what does the new coach think of Sam and does Joe Douglas have the ability to hire a coach who wants to move on from Sam and draft a QB with the number 2 overall pick. 

When I heard that Joe Douglas was going to be leading the search for the next Head Coach I was happy. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if we find out that Joe Douglas can pick the next Head Coach, but he has to believe in Sam Darnold. 

I sort of doubt this. The one consistent thing that has been said about Christopher Johnson is that he’s pretty hands off. 

I think it’s more likely that Douglas really liked Darnold before coming here (supposedly he was his favorite QB of the bunch in 2018) and really likes him personally. 

Whole lotta declaratives being tossed around before any of a multitude of variables work themselves out. Who's the coach? Who are the OC & QB coach? What free agents are brought in? What kind of compensation is on the table for 2-OA?

The one thing I will say is certain; Sammy has very little time to look like the guy moving forward. Regardless of worthless coaching, carousels of receivers and terrible protection, he has to prove he's worth any investment past his rookie contract. Sammy has to show that he's worth a 2nd or 3rd if he wants to get out of this dumpster fire. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I sort of doubt this. The one consistent thing that has been said about Christopher Johnson is that he’s pretty hands off. 

I think it’s more likely that Douglas really liked Darnold before coming here (supposedly he was his favorite QB of the bunch in 2018) and really likes him personally. 

JD sure has a weird way of showing he likes Sam sitting on a mountain of cap space and dumping anyone with trade value and shopping at the dented can bin by the checkout aisle during free agency.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

What if Sam Darnold is thought of WAY more highly in NFL circles than Jet fan boards?

What if the people who get paid to make these decisions think the better move is to keep him and surround him with a ton of talent?

What if a unicorn flew over my house and crapped rainbows and gold coins. 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

2020 was his last chance. Either that or JD is Idzik #2 and I’m not ready to go there, yet.

He makes me nervous. Supposed to be a big o-line guy and has some spectacular whiffs in that particular area. This offseason is a huge prove-it year too. He supposedly has a free hand in the coaching search, lets see what he can manage to do. This coming free agency had better not be another hedge. And with this many early picks, he has to hit it out of the park in April. Big year for the big man. I think the next big determining variable is the OSU/Bama game. If you have a clear cut talent upgrade staring you in the face, do you yet again refuse to give up on Geno, oops meant Hackenberg, or or I mean Sammy. 

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD sure has a weird way of showing he likes Sam sitting on a mountain of cap space and dumping anyone with trade value and shopping at the dented can bin by the checkout aisle during free agency.

My hunch is that he thought Sam was going to make a big enough jump in year 3 for the Jets to tread water until the team could load up in 2021 FA. 

I sincerely think the Jets have been shocked by how bad Darnold is this year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, freestater said:

He makes me nervous. Supposed to be a big o-line guy and has some spectacular whiffs in that particular area. This offseason is a huge prove-it year too. He supposedly has a free hand in the coaching search, lets see what he can manage to do. This coming free agency had better not be another hedge. And with this many early picks, he has to hit it out of the park in April. Big year for the big man. I think the next big determining variable is the OSU/Bama game. If you have a clear cut talent upgrade staring you in the face, do you yet again refuse to give up on Geno, oops meant Hackenberg, or or I mean Sammy. 

All new GMs/HCs/QBs make me nervous. Very difficult jobs and hard to project success. He drafted Becton, already did more for OL than Macc and Idzik combined. 

JD is drafting a QB. Our current QB is the worst QB in the league this year and new GMs love to have “their guy.” People are way overthinking it IMHO. It’s a done deal.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

My hunch is that he thought Sam was going to make a big enough jump in year 3 for the Jets to tread water until the team could load up in 2021 FA. 

I sincerely think the Jets have been shocked by how bad Darnold is this year. 

I see it that JD had basically accepted Sam didn’t have it and figured good year to clear the decks and load up. If Sammy could shock the world that’s gravy. Otherwise, get high pick and go QB. Which is now what he will do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

All new GMs/HCs/QBs make me nervous. Very difficult jobs and hard to project success. He drafted Becton, already did more for OL than Macc and Idzik combined. 

JD is drafting a QB. Our current QB is the worst QB in the league this year and new GMs love to have “their guy.” People are way overthinking it IMHO. It’s a done deal.

A good showing from Fields in the natty would really get me thinking this is the truth. 

Pray Praise The Lord GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I see it that JD had basically accepted Sam didn’t have it and figured good year to clear the decks and load up. If Sammy could shock the world that’s gravy. Otherwise, get high pick and go QB. Which is now what he will do.

I hope you are right but I don’t like what I have been hearing 

1 minute ago, freestater said:

A good showing from Fields in the natty would really get me thinking this is the truth. 

Pray Praise The Lord GIF

Doesn’t he have broken ribs now?

Just now, slimjasi said:

I hope you are right but I don’t like what I have been hearing 

I don’t pretend to have inside info but I do have common sense and decades of watching this sport. If JD does anything else it would be a historical stunner. I’ve asked on here for a couple days if anyone has any examples of a GM trading out from a top 2 spot when they needed a QB. No one has posted any, yet. Only example I can think of is when Chargers and Giants swapped Eli/Rivers. But that was a very unique situation.

I can’t recall Albright ever getting any kind of scoop about the Jets. He speculates on Twitter a lot, but when’s the last time he was on the mark on anything.  

@Tony The Wiz on the other hand, scooped everyone on the Maccagnan firing, and a few days ago said he thinks the Jets will take a QB at #2 and move on from Darnold. 

Guess who I choose to believe?

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

Will be very interesting to see if the Darnold crew turns against JD after he sends Sam packing.

I think even people who want Darnold to stay will be the excited if we pick another QB.

I think a lot of people were sure that Sam was the guy and are still in disbelief how bad things have gotten. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I think even people who want Darnold to stay will be the excited if we pick another QB.

I think a lot of people were sure that Sam was the guy and are still in disbelief how bad things have gotten. 

Yeah this is probably the best summary of the situation. Once Sam is gone then we have to accept the fact that we burned huge draft capital and broke a promising prospect (again).

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

Doesn’t he have broken ribs now?

I don’t pretend to have inside info but I do have common sense and decades of watching this sport. If JD does anything else it would be a historical stunner. I’ve asked on here for a couple days if anyone has any examples of a GM trading out from a top 2 spot when they needed a QB. No one has posted any, yet. Only example I can think of is when Chargers and Giants swapped Eli/Rivers. But that was a very unique situation.

Didn’t the Browns trade out in the Goff/Wentz draft?

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yup.  I'd prefer Sam stays and they draft Sewell, but of course I'd be excited with a new young QB.  Plus what should be a much improved team around whoever the QB is.

• Upvote 1