Could DeShaun Watson be the biggest star in the history of the NY Jets since Namath?

5 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

That's where the GM comes in.  Good GMs acquire more good players than bad GMs. DeShaun might cost us big for a year, but the improved front office should be bringing in better players in the next few years.  Watson has proven he can elevate the players around him.

This is a huge question mark.  We have no idea if JD is capable of this - the results so far are to the contrary.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:16 AM, Beerfish said:

He's probably be the best Qb this team has had but the jets are so terrible talent wise we are not magically winning unless we add talent on both sides of the ball.

totally disagree - and he wouldn't be coming to the same team. We have a lot of resources to get him a really good receiving corp and offensive line. Why don't people get this? We have an abundance of picks. Once we sign Watson we'll still have more picks than most teams in the league and a ton more cap space. Plus Mosely and at least a starting corner will be coming back - maybe even a pass rusher.

12 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

That's where the GM comes in.  Good GMs acquire more good players than bad GMs. DeShaun might cost us big for a year, but the improved front office should be bringing in better players in the next few years.  Watson has proven he can elevate the players around him.

With draft picks, you can get better, with FA, for theost part you bring the bottle to the middle.  We will be relying on FA if we trade all out picks for Watson.  

On 1/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, 68JET11 said:

He'll be another afterthought, after we trade for him because he wasn't able to get us to the Superbowl... I can see it now all the posts, saying "What were we thinking"...

Not saying Sanchez was on any level that Watson is, however how did Sanchez do in 09/10 versus beyond once Rex started ruining that team. Once the OL started going what then ?????  How is Watson doing in Houston with nothing around him SERIOUSLY ?.  Wait they were 4-12, but had a top 10 QB in the league. QB's alone don't get you to the promised land. I get he's a great QB, but again I'll say this. This team is not a Deshaun Watson away from being a GOOD team.

I think we are a better team if we draft Field who might just be the next Watson type, and keep our picks and be smart with them and FAgency....

We haven't gotten to the Super Bowl in 50 years, primarily because we didn't have a QB.

Sanchez hasn't been in the league since he turned 28 years old.  He's the very definition of an afterthought.

Was Dan Marino an afterthought just because he didn't win a Super Bowl?

At least with Watson we have a shot.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2021 at 2:16 AM, Beerfish said:

He's probably be the best Qb this team has had but the jets are so terrible talent wise we are not magically winning unless we add talent on both sides of the ball.

Really, but isht that the purpose of the draft and FA?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Really, but isht that the purpose of the draft and FA?

FA, the magic pill that rarely affects teams big time.

The draft, all of our 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks will make  huge difference for this team, like they did last year.

The Jets for the first time in ages are in a unique position to rapidly improve all areas of he team over a two year period.

The shiny new toy appears and that all goes out the window.

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

FA, the magic pill that rarely affects teams big time.

The draft, all of our 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks will make  huge difference for this team, like they did last year.

The Jets for the first time in ages are in a unique position to rapidly improve all areas of he team over a two year period.

The shiny new toy appears and that all goes out the window.

So then what’s the difference?  We still would have plenty of picks to draft young talent and sorry FA can help turn teams around in a hurry

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We haven't gotten to the Super Bowl in 50 years, primarily because we didn't have a QB.

Sanchez hasn't been in the league since he turned 28 years old.  He's the very definition of an afterthought.

Was Dan Marino an afterthought just because he didn't win a Super Bowl?

At least with Watson we have a shot.

Watson, isn't even in the same speaking sentence as Marino... Do you think we get to the SB with Marino either ?  This is a team game, not a one man show.

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Watson, isn't even in the same speaking sentence as Marino... Do you think we get to the SB with Marino either ?  This is a team game, not a one man show.

Watson is a top 5 QB and he's only getting better.  So he absolutely belongs in the same sentence as Marino.  He's on a Hall of Fame path.  Whether he actually reaches Marino heights is anyone's guess, but he's in the conversation because of what he's done so far and what he still has a chance to be.

And Watson wouldn't be a one man show.  Not even close.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Watson is a top 5 QB and he's only getting better.  So he absolutely belongs in the same sentence as Marino.  He's on a Hall of Fame path.  Whether he actually reaches Marino heights is anyone's guess, but he's in the conversation because of what he's done so far and what he still has a chance to be.

And Watson wouldn't be a one man show.  Not even close.

Watson is good, but he's not anywhere near Marino yet.

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

He's elite.  That's a lot better than "good".  He's the best QB under 30 not named Pat Mahomes.  That means that in no more than 3 years, he'll be the 2nd best QB in the league, unless one of the guys younger than him proves to be better.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

And thats wrong.  I agree hes below Marino but he sure is in the same neighborhood.   Fewer yards but near the top today, on a lot few pass attempts as Marino, with a higher comp %

He's elite.  That's a lot better than "good".  He's the best QB under 30 not named Pat Mahomes.  That means that in no more than 3 years, he'll be the 2nd best QB in the league, unless one of the guys younger than him proves to be better.

I'll grant you that he is, but I'm guessing that for sake of argument that Allen, and Hebert will pass him up if their respective teams stay strong and now with Staley build strong around Hebert. Again, it's about the team, not just that one guy. It's why Marino/Rogers aren't talked about in the same way that Brady or Elway, etc... and both Marino/Rogers are the 2 best QB's I've ever watched.

3 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I'll grant you that he is, but I'm guessing that for sake of argument that Allen, and Hebert will pass him up if their respective teams stay strong and now with Staley build strong around Hebert. Again, it's about the team, not just that one guy. It's why Marino/Rogers aren't talked about in the same way that Brady or Elway, etc... and both Marino/Rogers are the 2 best QB's I've ever watched.

Watson has proven he can produce in a big way without talent around him.  So if you need that qualifier for Allen, it doesn't work.  How do you think Allen will produce when HE gets paid and Buffalo can't give him Pro Bowlers at every spot on the field?

Herbert is terrific, and definitely a candidate to pass Watson.  

Watson has proven he can produce in a big way without talent around him.  So if you need that qualifier for Allen, it doesn't work.  How do you think Allen will produce when HE gets paid and Buffalo can't give him Pro Bowlers at every spot on the field?

Herbert is terrific, and definitely a candidate to pass Watson.  

Damm you caught me on that one, thought I would try to get one up on you lol...

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:16 PM, jetstream23 said:

The last time the Jets had any player as good as Watson was probably Darelle Revis.  But in terms of being a true star, an elite player that usually plays on offense and is the face of the franchise, I'd think we would need to go back even further than Curtis Martin.  It has me thinking, have the Jets EVER had a potential star as big as Watson since Joe Namath?

According to https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2019/08/18/ny-jets-top-100-players-franchise-history/2029018001/ .... they list the Top 5 players in Jets history as...

1. Joe Namath

2. Don Maynard

3. Curtis Martin

4. Darelle Revis

5. Joe Klecko

But in terms of star power there really is only Joe Namath... and then everyone else.

Acquiring Watson wouldn't just be a huge Quarterback upgrade, it would be a franchise altering move that likely defines the Jets for the next 5-10 years, whether positively or negatively.  It would feel like a similar, but even bigger impact than when the Patriots acquired Randy Moss because Watson is a QB.  Are the Jets on the cusp of a reverse Hershel Walker trade, where the team giving up the bounty of draft picks actually comes out ahead?

Um... We have Sam