What's on the Menu?

I just picked up 2 trays of wings from a local bar/restaurant .

Talked to the owner says he's super busy today over 5000 wings and 100 pizzas pre-ordered with more orders being called in. 

The bar is off limits for seating but he put pub tables up against the bar and is seating people like that. 

Tough business to be in these days. 

Wish them the best. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Ugh. Worst part about roasting wings is the fatty skin glob that they sit in. It cooks off in a fryer or grill.

I’m trying a couple methods here to get them to crisp. I tossed one batch in panko and olive oil mayo. Just a tad. Hoping it can help cook off the slimy skin and add a bit of crunch. 

Since roasted wings are typically ‘wetter’ by nature, I don’t toss them in sauce. I use a couple of my dry rub recipes. 

Wingers crossed.

Dude, buy an air fryer. They are awesome for things like wings and made me like Brussel Sprouts

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Thanks but that's filled with carbs..  I can eat the turkey meatballs though.. while tears stream down my face.

I think I'll just go get a steak for myself and she can eat whatever she wants.  She'll guilt trip me a little about the cows but just because she had some kind of epiphany 4 years ago and won't eat steak or pork any longer doesn't mean I can't.  Normally I don't care but today feels like a good day to have a fat steak..  and a side of cauliflower rice

Pac, try to eat foods that ha e fiber. Fiber offsets bad carbs. If you eat multi grain bread that has 3 grams of fiber per slice and one slice has 6 grams of carbs, the net carbs are 3. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'm an idiot.  I was thinking gluten free when you said carbs.  My bad.  Sorry about that, Pac.

And don't scoff at the turkey meatballs.  Yeah, they will never be the beef, pork & veal holy triumvirate.   But I make them all the time and they're fantastic.  I don't even fry them any more, instead doing them in the oven.    Normally, I'd tell you to make sure you add a good quantity of Parmigiano and chopped herbs.   (Basil, thyme, sage & rosemary--in combination or on their own--all work.)  But I believe the Reggiano has some carbs.  

Steak sounds like a great choice btw.  And I like cauliflower in any form.  lol  Good version is adding still hot cauliflower to a bowl with chopped garlic, olive oil and salt & pepper.   Fantastic.

I'm with you on subbing Turkey instead of beef. I even started making turkey meatloaf. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Nothing beats a traditional oil fryer for wings.

The air fryer is healthier but the wings are not the same. 

Have you tried it. I brush the wings with olive oil and add smoked paprika, cumin, coriander,  lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Air Fry at 350 for 30 minutes,  and enjoy. You will never use an oil fryer again. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Have you tried it. I brush the wings with olive oil and add smoked paprika, cumin, coriander,  lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Air Fry at 350 for 30 minutes,  and enjoy. You will never use an oil fryer again. 

Yes they just aren't as crispy. 

We had a Dash air fryer what brand are you using. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm with you on subbing Turkey instead of beef. I even started making turkey meatloaf. 

Me, too, MC.   Thing you gotta watch out for is the lack of fat in the turkey meat.  I add a bit of EV olive oil.

Like all meat loves--but especially with ground turkey--it's important to add the milk soaked bread (panade) after you squeeze out most of the liquid.  Or else you wind up with a tough meat disk.

14 minutes ago, jayrad01 said:

It's out of the smoker. Now it gets wrapped up and put in the cooler for an hour to rest before slicing. Should be right on time for the game.

IMG_20210207_162422.jpg

No way you could fully comprehend how much I hate you right now.   Your brisket looks impossibly delicious.  Beautiful job.  You win this thread by a mile.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Me, too, MC.   Thing you gotta watch out for is the lack of fat in the turkey meat.  I add a bit of EV olive oil.

Like all meat loves--but especially with ground turkey--it's important to add the milk soaked bread (panade) after you squeeze out most of the liquid.  Or else you wind up with a tough meat disk.

My wife uses ground turkey for everything chili, meatloaf,spaghetti sauce,nachos. 

Im sick and tired of it. 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Of course if your doing a special kinda thing like that. But, on occasion, original wings deep fried with butter and Franks Durkees hot sauce just brings big brother back. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Of course I’d your doing a special kinda thing like that. But, on occasion, original wings deep fried with butter and Franks Durkees hot sauce just brings big brother back. 

Back in college, I knew folks from Buffalo who would punch anyone in the face who dipped wings in blue cheese dressing.  They were beyond Frank's/butter purists.  lol   These guys were insane.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I add Hienz Chili Sauce.  That usually keeps it from drying out.  

• Sympathy 1