NY Jets: Travis Etienne says he would ‘fit perfectly’ with Gang Green

I think this notion that the Shanahan system doesn't place a premium on the RB is a bit overstated. 

One of the first things Shanahan did when getting the gig in SF was sign Jerrick Mckinnon to a huge contract.  Mckinnon immediately got hurt so we never saw what he would have been in that offense.

Mckinnon is a 5'9 4.41 guy..   Etienne is a 5'10 4.41 guy. 

If you're going to give Sparky the starting QB job on day 1 you have to give him something in the backfield other teams are worried about.  Adams and Coleman ain't it.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

This is Dalvin Cook all over again. He’s going to be available either at 23 or 34. Whether we prioritize this RB position or not, is up to JD. 

Personally, I think the RB position is the most unappreciated position in the league. It can do wonders for the balance of play calling, it can benefit our rookie QB, and it can keep the defense rested. 

We’re also going to be one of the top teams to call play-actions. No one is really going to bite on a play-action when Perine is back there. 

And where has Dalvin cook gotten the Vikings?.   The 2 sbs teams last yr, did not have top 10 running backs. In fact, if you look back last 10 yrs, very few if any , sb winners had top 10 rbs... 

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Yes, thanks for the correction. You make solid points; it will be interesting to see which why they decide to go.   Based on your thinking I could see a Rousseau or similar caliber Edge taken at 23, if there.   Still if one of the top cornerbacks drop, it will be very tempting for JD to take him.  

I don't know in what order it happens but I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets go OL/Edge or Edge/OL at 23/34.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I know drafting a running back in the first round is the wrong thing to do. I know it’s not the right thing to do. But it still would make me excited. Like going back to a toxic ex 

It feels good for about 30 seconds... like drafting an elite Strong Safety because he's the best guy on the board when you pick.  The next 4 years are full of regrets though. ?

• Haha 2

Just now, bitonti said:

And trey sermon better than both in Rd 2

I think Sermon is good but isn’t he injured or coming off an injury? Should be available in the middle rounds

he went nuts in the Clemson game and was responsible for Fields seeing soft zone coverages the entire night

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think Sermon is good but isn’t he injured or coming off an injury? Should be available in the middle rounds

he went nuts in the Clemson game and was responsible for Fields seeing soft zone coverages the entire night

He has an injury history but he's perfect for this outside zone 

I don't think he gets out of Rd 2

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Big sermon fan too.  Watching the tape of the Clemson game that was supposed to convince me that Fields is a better Russell Wilson all I could see was Sermon dominating and the Clemson defense sell out to try to contain him

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Big sermon fan too.  Watching the tape of the Clemson game that was supposed to convince me that Fields is a better Russell Wilson all I could see was Sermon dominating and the Clemson defense sell out to try to contain him

Pro comps 

Harris: rich man James Robinson 

Etienne: poor man Reggie Bush (not a 3 down dude) 

Sermon: poor man Jamal "jump cut" Lewis 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Interesting.  Was hoping we could draft Sermon with #86 in the 3rd round.  I didn't think he would get drafted in Round 2, especially with Harris, Etienne, Javonte Williams, and (perhaps) Michael Carter all going before him.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

And trey sermon better than both in Rd 2

Sermon has literally never been healthy.  I wouldnt want him with any pick above the 5th and even then you can literally never count on him.

It will be interesting to see if we take a RB at any point before the 3rd round.  It just doesnt seem like a priority position but at the same time if we trade back and have enough picks, using 34 on a RB is a lot different then using a top 15/20 pick on one.

I also dont believe the CB hype at 23/34.  Yes there are good CBs, but this system doesnt put pressure on CBs and SF never used a pick above the 3rd on a CB in the 4 years Saleh was there.  

As long as 1 of 23 or 34 is OL im fine with whatever JD does.

12 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Wide receivers typically need a year to truly develop.

Personally, I want to see heavy investment into OL and WR in this draft. It will be a big disservice to the rookie quarterback to go into next year with only Davis and Mims under contract and looking at a major turnover at the position yet again.

The WRs arent a disservice.  Davis, Mims, Cole, Crowder and whoever they draft this year is a fine  start.  Theres also the 2nd go round of FA

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind an elite/star RB in the second (particularly if he ran good routes and had good hands). You may not need a great RB, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a game breaker in the backfield. I probably wouldn't draft one in the first round (especially not high), but starting in the second round if you can get a guy with elite traits (a guy who really sticks out) I don't see that as a bad investment. A strong running game leads to a strong play action. It also helps lead to more manageable 3rd downs.  

• Upvote 2

On 4/16/2021 at 8:18 PM, Pac said:

I think this notion that the Shanahan system doesn't place a premium on the RB is a bit overstated. 

One of the first things Shanahan did when getting the gig in SF was sign Jerrick Mckinnon to a huge contract.  Mckinnon immediately got hurt so we never saw what he would have been in that offense.

Mckinnon is a 5'9 4.41 guy..   Etienne is a 5'10 4.41 guy. 

If you're going to give Sparky the starting QB job on day 1 you have to give him something in the backfield other teams are worried about.  Adams and Coleman ain't it.

And how did McKinnon work out?

If anything, that was a lesson learned for Shanahan.  Heavy resources spent at RB in a one-cut system is not wise. 

They never used a high pick on a RB, either, with Shanahan in charge.  It's one thing to spend some FA dollars at RB when you have them available.  It's another thing entirely to use 1st round draft capital on a luxury position, for a team mostly devoid of talent.

I do expect a RB to be taken at some point in the upcoming draft.  There are going to be quite a few fun, athletic RB's available in the middle rounds of this draft class.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how did McKinnon work out?

If anything, that was a lesson learned for Shanahan.  Heavy resources spent at RB in a one-cut system is not wise. 

They never used a high pick on a RB, either, with Shanahan in charge.  It's one thing to spend some FA dollars at RB when you have them available.  It's another thing entirely to use 1st round draft capital on a luxury position, for a team mostly devoid of talent.

Not sure why folks don’t understand this. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

No idea.  We have a GM that doesn't draft RB's early and a coaching staff coming from a system where RB's aren't taken early.  And yet you still have derpy fans demanding Najee Harris or Etienne at 23 like there's even a remote possibility it will happen.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No idea.  We have a GM that doesn't draft RB's early and a coaching staff coming from a system where RB's aren't taken early.  And yet you still have derpy fans demanding Najee Harris or Etienne at 23 like there's even a remote possibility it will happen.  

So dumb. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Shanahan apparently didn't understand it.  It was the first big move he made.

McKinnon tearing an ACL has nothing to do with Shanahan immediately identifying a quick, fast, multi purpose back as an area of urgent need.

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Because drafting OL , while essential, is boring for some fans. They just want to be entertained and don’t understand how to build a team.  I’m not saying I know who to draft, but I think I know what positions to draft and if the Jets want Wilson to succeed when Darnold didn’t, they will draft and build an OL first. RBs grow on trees. And SB teams don’t have bell cow backs. It’s RBBC year after year. 

26 minutes ago, Pac said:

McKinnon tearing an ACL has nothing to do with Shanahan immediately identifying a quick, fast, multi purpose back as an area of urgent need.

So you’re not getting it are you. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because drafting OL , while essential, is boring for some fans. They just want to be entertained and don’t understand how to build a team.  I’m not saying I know who to draft, but I think I know what positions to draft and if the Jets want Wilson to succeed when Darnold didn’t, they will draft and build an OL first. RBs grow on trees. And SB teams don’t have bell cow backs. It’s RBBC year after year. 

Exactly. LaFleur will make Ty Johnson a 1000 yard back this year if he wants to. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Yes, they devoted FA dollars to RB that one time. It was the only attempt, prior or since, to devote heavy resources to RB, and it failed miserably.

Every piece of data aside from one failed experiment suggests Douglas and Saleh are not taking a RB high. It’s very clear that is not going to be part of their joint philosophy.

Well, i will say this , I want the Jets to finally invest in the offensive line,many here understand it all begins in the trenches. It appears the the defensive line is set, the Jets need to do the same o the other side of the ball.
Yet, if Travis is there at 34 I would not be opposed to grabbing him. This guy is special and we have not had his like since. C-Mart. For those who forgot Curtis was never one to run for 50 yards at a pop a lot, just a back who kept the chains moving.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 4/17/2021 at 2:20 PM, BCJet said:

Sermon has literally never been healthy.  I wouldnt want him with any pick above the 5th and even then you can literally never count on him.

It will be interesting to see if we take a RB at any point before the 3rd round.  It just doesnt seem like a priority position but at the same time if we trade back and have enough picks, using 34 on a RB is a lot different then using a top 15/20 pick on one.

I also dont believe the CB hype at 23/34.  Yes there are good CBs, but this system doesnt put pressure on CBs and SF never used a pick above the 3rd on a CB in the 4 years Saleh was there.  

As long as 1 of 23 or 34 is OL im fine with whatever JD does.

Sermon is injury prone but we are going with a rb by committee anyway just like SF does.  He fits that Shanahan scheme of running at angles to create mismatches 

And Sermon you can probably get in round 4 or 5

On 4/16/2021 at 8:23 PM, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I know drafting a running back in the first round is the wrong thing to do. I know it’s not the right thing to do. But it still would make me excited. Like going back to a toxic ex 

There's nothing at all wrong with taking a RB early...

Specifically in this situation, it's one of the best things they can do.  You have a young QB taken at 2 and a RB that truly scares deffenses - A playmaker like Harris or Etienne is exactly what you need.

I would have no problem if they go with a different offensive position at 23 or 34 but this idea that somehow any sh*tty RB is just as good because of the system is just an overused, misunderstood and silly concept.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, they devoted FA dollars to RB that one time. It was the only attempt, prior or since, to devote heavy resources to RB, and it failed miserably.

Every piece of data aside from one failed experiment suggests Douglas and Saleh are not taking a RB high. It’s very clear that is not going to be part of their joint philosophy.

You mean from the zero draft together or the 1/2 of off-season?

We really don't know what JD values - as all he's done is tear things down and we have close to no idea what Saleh prefers.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:18 PM, riggy001 said:

And where has Dalvin cook gotten the Vikings?.   The 2 sbs teams last yr, did not have top 10 running backs. In fact, if you look back last 10 yrs, very few if any , sb winners had top 10 rbs... 

Btu they both had top 5 QB's....

You need to develop a QB.  We need to give ZW every opportunity to succeed - and a world class RB will go a long way to helping him get there.  

Too many of you are stuck in dogmatic concepts rather than looking at the big picture.  ZW, right now - is the only thing that matters.

• Upvote 1

I've been a Trey Sermon fan since his game last season vs Northwestern. Justin Fields struggled but thanks to Sermon going for over 300 yards ,he won them that game. Now this is the kind of talent Zach Wilson will need to help him succeed. I hope we can grab him later on AFTER building on the O line.

• Upvote 1