Don’t Count Chris Herndon out Just yet, Jets Fans; Bounce-Back Season is Likely in 2021

On 5/22/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jet Nut said:

Agreed.  Hes got a fresh start like others who took steps backwards under Gase.

The guy got suspended for almost killing himself and others while doing 100 mph with a .14 bac reading, and dealt with various injuries that kept him off the field. He didn't exactly help himself. Gase my not have utilized him well, but I wouldn't classify Herndon as a victim of Gase. 

59 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Gase my not have utilized him well, but I wouldn't classify Herndon as a victim of Gase. 

Why because he had a DUI before Gase was his HC?  What does that have to do with Gase utilizing or not utilizing him well?  Its not like in 2 years Gase utilized any of his TEs well.  

And it was a 0.14, not 1.4, huge difference.  But point taken, dont drive drunk.  Period

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Sounds like you're responding to a situation that you've invented in your mind.  How was he not motivated?  Slumped through the first 8 or 9 games when he was used primarily as a blocker and finished the season far better than how he started it.

Oh, so he fell into a slump for the first 8 games of the last season and the entire season before that? Lol What a lame excuse. What are you part of the Jetnation speech police? 

He's been a TRAINWRECK via his own doing since his rookie season. He should NOT have to be motivated. He's a professional and being pathetically BAD at his job is not a slump, it's a clear cut sign of being LAZY.

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Oh, so he fell into a slump for the first 8 games of the last season and the entire season before that? Lol What a lame excuse. What are you part of the Jetnation speech police? 

He's been a TRAINWRECK via his own doing since his rookie season. He should NOT have to be motivated. He's a professional and being pathetically BAD at his job is not a slump, it's a clear cut sign of being LAZY.

A slump is not an injury and an injury is not a slump.  Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why because he had a DUI before Gase was his HC?  What does that have to do with Gase utilizing or not utilizing him well?  Its not like in 2 years Gase utilized any of his TEs well.  

And it was a 0.14, not 1.4, huge difference.  But point taken, dont drive drunk.  Period

Yes, a .14 as opposed to a 1.4, and the nfl considers a .15 an extreme case.  My point, which is quite simple, is that with choices there are consequences despite people shunning the idea of personal accountability these days. One of which was him getting suspended. He got injured when he came back, which could be coincidence, or maybe he didn't stay in shape during his suspension. While Gase may not have utilized him well he hasn't exactly helped himself either.  As I said previously I hope he succeeds as we've all made mistakes. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yes, a .14 as opposed to a 1.4, and the nfl considers a .15 an extreme case.  My point, which is quite simple, is that with choices there are consequences despite people shunning the idea of personal accountability these days. One of which was him getting suspended. He got injured when he came back, which could be coincidence, or maybe he didn't stay in shape during his suspension. While Gase may not have utilized him well he hasn't exactly helped himself either.  As I said previously I hope he succeeds as we've all made mistakes. 

Your point was that Gase had nothing to do with his last two seasons under Gase and you blamed it on a DUI that was before Gase.  And yes he was injured so its kind of all over the place as to what's to blame. 

Where you are dead right is hes made mistakes along with being hampered by Gase.  And mostly righting people make mistakes and can right it, turn it all around.  I said in another post that its up to him and hes reached a crossroad, lets hope he's matured and can take advantage of the opportunity hes going to get 

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2021 at 2:57 PM, GreenFish said:

We just need him to be a descent starter. He was that his rookie season.

Same with Wesco at FB. If can just be a descent FB, that’ll go a long way.

Mims and Moore will provide the explosive plays. 

Why does it seem everyone is sleeping on Kenny Yaboah?  The guy had a 4th round grade.  I fully expect him to compete for rotational minutes and could surprise.  

• Upvote 2

I have some hope for Herndon. If he can’t produce in this situation — with several years experience at a slow-to-develop position and a rookie QB who traditionally rely on TEs as safety blankets — then stick a fork in him.

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That's a 20% drop rate.

I think that fits the mold of "Can't catch" 

Heck, for a HS TE that's terrible let alone the NFL....

You know who was in that mold his first 2 years in the league.. TE Tony Gonzalez guess what he fixed it..

It would not be the Jet way to sign Herndon to a large contract given his inconsistency and conduct issues.

In a perfect world, which I could see happening, Herndon would have a great season to help the team and Wilson develop, get a large contract from another team and get the Jets good consideration for a comp pick.

He is not someone we want to extend.  I don’t think he is stable enough.  Honestly, he falls into the category for a player who works for annual contracts-always having to prove himself.

But he will look much better this year.  His financial motivation is too great, and the coaching is better. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, you're saying Chris Herndon is going to be as good as Tony Gonzalez?

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with that.

I'm going to really go on a limb here and say Herndon is out of football in two years.   Anthony Becht and Kyle Brady laugh at his hands.  Folks, it's okay to see, and admit, that we made a mistake drafting Herndon.  He's not good.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

He's a 24-year-old who basically missed his sophomore season due to his suspension and injuries, and then ran into the train wreck that was Adam Gase's offense. He had one very serious transgression, and has kept his nose clean since. He came into the league as a raw prospect. He has a career catch rate of 68.9%, which really isn't terrible for a guy who allegedly can't catch. Anthony Becht never had a season with as many receiving yards as Herndon had as a rookie with a 63% career catch rate, and Kyle Brady only had one season with more yards (for the Jags, not the Jets) with a 61% career catch rate. 

He's, by far, the best TE on the team and -barring an unlikely trade- will be the starting TE this year. He's got a lot to prove, no doubt, and whether he needs motivation or not he certainly should be motivated in his contract year. In this offense, under these conditions, I expect the best season of his career.  

15 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Why does it seem everyone is sleeping on Kenny Yaboah?  The guy had a 4th round grade.  I fully expect him to compete for rotational minutes and could surprise.  

I think we can throw that 4th round grade bull**** out the window. He went undrafted. No one saw fit to spend a pick on him in the 153 picks from the first pick of the fourth on. That includes the Jets, who chose seven other players over those 153 picks. 

He signed with the Jets because he does have a great opportunity to break thru on a weak unit, but we'll see how that plays out. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, slats said:

He's a 24-year-old who basically missed his sophomore season due to his suspension and injuries, and then ran into the train wreck that was Adam Gase's offense. He had one very serious transgression, and has kept his nose clean since. He came into the league as a raw prospect. He has a career catch rate of 68.9%, which really isn't terrible for a guy who allegedly can't catch. Anthony Becht never had a season with as many receiving yards as Herndon had as a rookie with a 63% career catch rate, and Kyle Brady only had one season with more yards (for the Jags, not the Jets) with a 61% career catch rate. 

He's, by far, the best TE on the team and -barring an unlikely trade- will be the starting TE this year. He's got a lot to prove, no doubt, and whether he needs motivation or not he certainly should be motivated in his contract year. In this offense, under these conditions, I expect the best season of his career.  

I think we can throw that 4th round grade bull**** out the window. He went undrafted. No one saw fit to spend a pick on him in the 153 picks from the first pick of the fourth on. That includes the Jets, who chose seven other players over those 153 picks. 

He signed with the Jets because he does have a great opportunity to break thru on a weak unit, but we'll see how that plays out. 

First of all as a Jet FAN, I would love to see Herndon capture and exceed his form from a few years ago.  All I am saying is the kid Yeboah is not your typical undrafted free agent.  He didn't get many looks at Temple but when he transferred to Ole Miss he exploded. In a non pandemic year there is no way this kid doesn't get drafted.  This game against Alabama is to me, a showcase of what he is capable of on the next level.   He also looked very impressive against Florida.  You know the team that had Kyle Pitts. 

I am not saying he would beat out Herndon, I am actually hoping Herndon wins the Job but Yeboah also sees the field a lot because I think he just gives us another weapon at TE.   However, if Herndon reverts back to last year or the year before, or gets hurt, look out for this Kid.   I know he is probably behind the TE they signed in FA as well at this point but that can change once they get to camp.  Then again he may turn out to be more of a project and ends up on the PS.  I hope that is not the case because I like his attitude and his skill set.  

Looking like a poor mans Kyle Pitts against Florida

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'm going to really go on a limb here and say Herndon is out of football in two years.   Anthony Becht and Kyle Brady laugh at his hands.  Folks, it's okay to see, and admit, that we made a mistake drafting Herndon.  He's not good.

Macc?  Whiffing on a pick?  No way!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So, you're saying Chris Herndon is going to be as good as Tony Gonzalez?

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with that.

No I said the dropsies can be fixed like Gonzalez did no where did I compare him to Tony career wise..

• Upvote 2

Remember when we were high on Austin Sefarin Jenkins (I am legit impressed with myself that I remembered his name)? I heard he is wiping down carts at Trader Joe's now. And he flashed more than Herndon.. more bobbles too, but still... more flashes. Herndon is doneski. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Why didn't he also point to the 1000's of others than couldn't catch that never got better?

There are always outliers....Of course he can get better, the likelihood is minuscule though.

That doesnt change the fact that he could return to the prospect we saw as a rookie.  Hes not some scrub who came up, played like shlt that we're hoping could improve.  We're talking about someone with potential and fell by the wayside through fault of his own and by being coached by Gase.  

I'll go out on a limb and say the likelihood is better than minuscule 

4 hours ago, pointman said:

Remember when we were high on Austin Sefarin Jenkins (I am legit impressed with myself that I remembered his name)? I heard he is wiping down carts at Trader Joe's now. And he flashed more than Herndon.. more bobbles too, but still... more flashes. Herndon is doneski. 

I remember we signed him a reclamation project, a player who had severe alcohol problems and couldn't get his shlt together.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No.

I remember we signed him a reclamation project, a player who had severe alcohol problems and couldn't get his shlt together.  

And once he made some catches, we were very high on him. Upset when he signed elsewhere after we gave him that shot. Your memory is short then.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, Jet Nut said:

Your point was that Gase had nothing to do with his last two seasons under Gase and you blamed it on a DUI that was before Gase.  And yes he was injured so its kind of all over the place as to what's to blame. 

Where you are dead right is hes made mistakes along with being hampered by Gase.  And mostly righting people make mistakes and can right it, turn it all around.  I said in another post that its up to him and hes reached a crossroad, lets hope he's matured and can take advantage of the opportunity hes going to get 

You are incorrect, even after I stated my point again.

On 5/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, Embrace the Suck said:

He didn't exactly help himself. Gase my not have utilized him well, but I wouldn't classify Herndon as a victim of Gase.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

While Gase may not have utilized him well he hasn't exactly helped himself either. 

I clearly stated that Gase may not have utilized him correctly in my original post and follow up. I was pointing out, as I clearly stated and you quoted, that Herndon is not solely a Gase victim as you seemed to insinuate, and that Herndon's actions also played a role in his production or lack there of. In Herndon's second year how many games did he play in? Then ask yourself how he essentaily lost a season. It wasn't bad play calling it was him getting into legal trouble, getting suspended, and getting injured after his hiatus. At no point did I say Gase was blameless. Sorry, but you don't get to tell me what my point was.

I personally, have not, I'm not sure we truly realize how bad the Gase/Darnold factor was until we see it play out, assuming Wilson/Lafluer arent worse, cant imagine that but I guess it's possible but still, I expect Herndon to be a different player in this offense. 

• Upvote 1