Buy / Sell / Hold from the Jets vs Giants Game

Buying

1. DT Jonathan Marshall - Looked like a beast at time against the Giants backups
  2. DT Tanzel Smart - Played a lot and looked good
  3. DT Michael Dwumfour - Unlikely to be on the 53 man roster, but looks like a safe bet to be on the Practice Squad
  4. DE Bryce Huff - Knows how to get after the QB, might be a weapon opposite Lawson on passing downs
  5. DE Hamilcar Rasheed - Had a gimme sack on a busted blocking scheme, but looked good overall, played a lot
  6. DE Jeremiah Valaoga - Solid play all game, helped himself but still a longshot
  7. DB Brandon Echols - looked pretty good to me
  8. WR Vyncint Smith - at this point, you have to think he is on the 53 man roster as a WR and STer
  9. P Braden Mann - looked improved over last year
  10. QB Mike White  - looked like a competent NFL backup QB
  11. OL Connor McDermott - Played almost the whole game or the whole game after Becton left and looked solid to good

Selling

1. OL Dan Feeney - I didn't see him do anything particularly well, played a lot and injuries at G might keep him around, but...meh
  2. TE Kenny Yeboah - Possibility to be one of the 1st 5 cut
  3. DB Corey Ballentine - Very unlikely he will make the team
  4. TE Trevon Wesco - Ok, if he's the fullback, I get that, but otherwise, not much of a weapon
  5. DB Lamar Jackson - played with the 2nd team but he'll have to step it up to stick around
  6. RB Austin Walter - Johnson, Perine, Carter, and Adams all looked better than he did

Holding

1. WR Denzel Mims - played vs the scrubs, but made some plays, we will closely watch him next week
  2. PK Chris Naggar - not great, but it was his 1st game, will continue to watch his progress closely
  3. RB La'Michael Perine - ran hard and scored a TD.  Nothing spectacular, nothing bad
  4. RB Josh Adams - only got in late and may be the odd man out, but he had a nice run and played on special teams
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is the scheme THAT much different in the passing game that a guy with Mims' size, speed and ability can't fit here but at times last year looked like a lock for WR2?

What are there, like 3 routes he MUST be able to run in this offense and he can't run them?

Yes.  LeFleur wouldn't be much of an OC if he can't find a way to fit a 6'2", 225, 4.3 40 guy into his scheme.  I don't buy the scheme issue at all.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is the scheme THAT much different in the passing game that a guy with Mims' size, speed and ability can't fit here but at times last year looked like a lock for WR2?

What are there, like 3 routes he MUST be able to run in this offense and he can't run them?

It sounds like his issues are about picking up the offense not running routes. This is a much more complicated scheme and the QB has to be able to trust the WR's to know what they're doing on each play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/15/2021 at 4:35 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

Buying

1. DT Jonathan Marshall - Looked like a beast at time against the Giants backups
  2. DT Tanzel Smart - Played a lot and looked good
  3. DT Michael Dwumfour - Unlikely to be on the 53 man roster, but looks like a safe bet to be on the Practice Squad
  4. DE Bryce Huff - Knows how to get after the QB, might be a weapon opposite Lawson on passing downs
  5. DE Hamilcar Rasheed - Had a gimme sack on a busted blocking scheme, but looked good overall, played a lot
  6. DE Jeremiah Valaoga - Solid play all game, helped himself but still a longshot
  7. DB Brandon Echols - looked pretty good to me
  8. WR Vyncint Smith - at this point, you have to think he is on the 53 man roster as a WR and STer
  9. P Braden Mann - looked improved over last year
  10. QB Mike White  - looked like a competent NFL backup QB
  11. OL Connor McDermott - Played almost the whole game or the whole game after Becton left and looked solid to good

Selling

1. OL Dan Feeney - I didn't see him do anything particularly well, played a lot and injuries at G might keep him around, but...meh
  2. TE Kenny Yeboah - Possibility to be one of the 1st 5 cut
  3. DB Corey Ballentine - Very unlikely he will make the team
  4. TE Trevon Wesco - Ok, if he's the fullback, I get that, but otherwise, not much of a weapon
  5. DB Lamar Jackson - played with the 2nd team but he'll have to step it up to stick around
  6. RB Austin Walter - Johnson, Perine, Carter, and Adams all looked better than he did

Holding

1. WR Denzel Mims - played vs the scrubs, but made some plays, we will closely watch him next week
  2. PK Chris Naggar - not great, but it was his 1st game, will continue to watch his progress closely
  3. RB La'Michael Perine - ran hard and scored a TD.  Nothing spectacular, nothing bad
  4. RB Josh Adams - only got in late and may be the odd man out, but he had a nice run and played on special teams

I'd agree with most but not sure how Zuniga has escaped. Guy would be nearly top of my sell list. If a lineman gets a hand on him at all he's basically done. He's probably the worst looking pick of that draft right now. 

I also think Moses and Fant both played well. Seems to be a competitive battle for that spot but I think Moses takes it. We need AVT back asap because as you mentioned Feeney is utter garbage. 

• Sympathy 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, BroadwayBen said:

Still baffled that Maccagnan wasted a 4th round pick on Wesco 

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Not debating the pick or where Mac took him at - but the FB is a key element of the Shanny/Lafleur offensive system. Right now Wesco is the FB. Its possible someone else can be brought in after cuts but Wesco is a pretty solid blocker and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the day1 starter at FB.

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  LeFleur wouldn't be much of an OC if he can't find a way to fit a 6'2", 225, 4.3 40 guy into his scheme.  I don't buy the scheme issue at all.

The "scheme" issue is bs. A guy with Mims measurables and ability is a fit for every scheme. Not to mention his blocking ability which is a huge plus. 

It is probably a combination of coming back from food poisoning and him not having a great grip on the playbook. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, FidelioJet said:

maybe so but they have a few 6-2, 4.35 guys and mims may be the odd man out.  i doubt if he gets cut but he probably should be thinking about specials.

Going to be some really tough decisions at the bottom of the WR depth chart.  I’ve been assuming this whole time we keep 6 with Berrios being #6.  But if trends continue there’s no way we cut Vyncint Smith….both him and Berrios have also had success in actual games. It’s a good problem to have.  Are either of them PS eligible ?

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Not debating the pick or where Mac took him at - but the FB is a key element of the Shanny/Lafleur offensive system. Right now Wesco is the FB. Its possible someone else can be brought in after cuts but Wesco is a pretty solid blocker and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the day1 starter at FB.

“Starter at FB,” probably doesn’t mean much, either. While LaFluer might want to run a lot of 12 and 21 personnel, the reality of this roster is that the playmaking talent is suddenly at WR and they’ll probably run 3 WRs as their base offense as a result - like most of the rest of the league. But right now he’s the default FB and the overall weakness at the TE position probably helps his cause, too. He’s in a battle with other teams’ future cuts right now. He needs to make the most of his opportunities. 

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe so but they have a few 6-2, 4.35 guys and mims may be the odd man out.  i doubt if he gets cut but he probably should be thinking about specials.

He played some specials against the jints, to his credit. I don’t know how big an issue the food poisoning still is but he obviously got off to a slow and rocky start with the new regime. However, he played well when he got on the field last year and he seems to be trending up over the last week. That’s good news for him and the team. I’m happy for Vycint Smith, too, but in the end I think Smith will be on specials and Mims will be an important part of the WR rotation once the season starts. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Going to be some really tough decisions at the bottom of the WR depth chart.  I’ve been assuming this whole time we keep 6 with Berrios being #6.  But if trends continue there’s no way we cut Vyncint Smith….both him and Berrios have also had success in actual games. It’s a good problem to have.  Are either of them PS eligible ?

That’s what happens when you sign two free agent WRs and add another in the second round a year after you drafted a WR in the second. The room gets crowded. The fact that Crowder, Cole, and Moore are all very capable slot guys probably doesn’t bode well for Berrios. Especially when you consider that the coaches would probably like to get to a point where they’re not running with a slot receiver the majority of the time. Could easily see the team adding a couple TEs next year. It’s the roster’s last big hole. 

33 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Agreed...My only point was it has nothing to do with him not being a scheme fit - and everything to do with his performance in camp. Wether it's skill or he's not learning the play book or he's sick etc...We really don't know.

He won't be cut because he's just too talented but whatever the problems are he needs to resolve them.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

It sounds like his issues are about picking up the offense not running routes. This is a much more complicated scheme and the QB has to be able to trust the WR's to know what they're doing on each play. 

If that is true then I'm more confident that Mims will be a part of this Jets future.  If he physically couldn't run the routes required of him it's unlikely that could be improved much.  But, if it's a matter of taking him a few more weeks than other guys to absorb the offense and get the mental part of the game embedded I think he'll be okay.  That will come with time I hope.