Bad Football is good business

I truly believe some owners care less if their teams win. After hearing Woody Johnson’s constant praises of bad coaching, regime after regime I believe it doesn’t matter to him. The fanatics will always come, buy gear and tickets get media attention because bad attention is well…..attention. Every year I have to put away the Jets gear and root for my 1a. There is a reason the Jets don’t pay for a real coach and give them what they want. Belichek knew the Johnson’s didn’t hate losing like Hess did so he bounced. Bad football is big business and we fools eat it up.

• Thumb Down 1

We are in a large market so will always sell tickets and profits are shared league wide for the most part. Unlike European football there is no relegation, so correct, losing doesn't really matter from an ownership perspective. There is no real penalty for being bad. Its been 10 years and fans still go to the stadium, buy merch etc. 

• Upvote 3

I cleaned out the garage a few days ago.  Threw out about 30 years worth of old Jets hats I have bought over the years. Didn't want them any more, and they were completely valueless. Thrown in the garbage. Felt zero remorse. I think a few jerseys will be making the trip as well. No, I'm not sending them to anyone. **** that. They aren't worth my time it would take, and who wants the jersey of a bunch of has-been losers, anyway. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I cleaned out the garage a few days ago.  Threw out about 30 years worth of old Jets hats I have bought over the years. Didn't want them any more, and they were completely valueless. Thrown in the garbage. Felt zero remorse. I think a few jerseys will be making the trip as well. No, I'm not sending them to anyone. **** that. They aren't worth my time it would take, and who wants the jersey of a bunch of has-been losers, anyway. 

I have this plaque that says, "You are in the home of a very loyal JETS FAN. Cheer accordingly or keep it to yourself!" I removed that plaque from my sports pub. How do you tell someone to cheer for the Jets when they're this bad. I'm not even drinking out of my Jets coffee mugs...put those puppies up in the highest shelf of a blind corner cabinet in my kitchen.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

And who funded Max Bialystock?

"Little old ladies" :D 

The Producers - Movie Forums

Quite apt for how the fan base has been these past weeks. ;-) 

Wow I have never thought about that. This analogy is even better than I thought lol. How great would it be if a huge number of fans showed up to the stadium dressed as little old ladies lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Leo Bloom is the GM / accountant. Roger De Bris as Head Coach.

Woody Johnson after a Jets win -  "How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong GM, the wrong coaches, the wrong players. Where did I go right?"

Love it!!

Now let's talk the new uniforms ...

Blind Spot: The Producers (1967) | Life Vs Film

Such a brilliant show. Had the pleasure of seeing on Broadway during Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick's run

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Such a brilliant show. Had the pleasure of seeing on Broadway during Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick's run

I saw it on Broadway too, can't recall exactly who was in it at the time. 2002 I think it was, I was in NY for the Jets games vs. Minnesota and Cleveland (Chad Pennington's very early days).

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

I truly believe some owners care less if their teams win. After hearing Woody Johnson’s constant praises of bad coaching, regime after regime I believe it doesn’t matter to him. The fanatics will always come, buy gear and tickets get media attention because bad attention is well…..attention. Every year I have to put away the Jets gear and root for my 1a. There is a reason the Jets don’t pay for a real coach and give them what they want. Belichek knew the Johnson’s didn’t hate losing like Hess did so he bounced. Bad football is big business and we fools eat it up.

I hate to defend Woody, but every owner comes to their Coach/GM defense until they get fired. No one fires more coaches and GM than Woody. That isn't the problem. If we were still lead by Gase/Mac then maybe you would have a point. 

The problem is that he keeps hiring people that he needs to fire after 3 years. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I hate to defend Woody, but every owner comes to their Coach/GM defense until they get fired. No one fires more coaches and GM than Woody. That isn't the problem. If we were still lead by Gase/Mac then maybe you would have a point. 

The problem is that he keeps hiring people that he needs to fire after 3 years. 

Yes, exactly. The argument of "good teams don't churn HCs and GMs" does not support giving bad ones longer leashes. It just means that good teams get their hiring decisions right.

17 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

"There is a reason Jets don't pay for a real coach..." all the fans were clamoring for Saleh and after 6 games he should now be fired. There was a fan hiding in the bushes outside one jets drive waiting for Saleh' every movement. Let the man learn the job. Is Kliff Kingsbury considered a real coach? His first year he was 5-10-1. Lets see what happens. 

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, MyFavoriteMartin28 said:

"There is a reason Jets don't pay for a real coach..." all the fans were clamoring for Saleh and after 6 games he should now be fired. There was a fan hiding in the bushes outside one jets drive waiting for Saleh' every movement. Let the man learn the job. Is Kliff Kingsbury considered a real coach? His first year he was 5-10-1. Lets see what happens. 

I don’t disagree, BUT, adding a first time, zero experience OC and starting a QB like Zach, huge mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

I don’t disagree, BUT, adding a first time, zero experience OC and starting a QB like Zach, huge mistakes. 

Agreed but he also hired Greg Knapp who was supposed to be Zach's mentor and even an experienced OC that LaFleur can use. I mean there is somethings you just cant plan for. It's unfortunate and it happened. Saleh tried to fill the role with Matt Cavanaugh but I don't believe it's working with him. Cavanaugh was the QB Coach for the Jets in 2009 with Sanchez during his rookie season.