Poorly Coached, Poorly Disciplined Team

25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Where does the buck stop? Where does coaching flow from? 

THIS TEAM is poorly coached and not disciplined. Never mentioned a subunits, because that misses the point. 

But if the offense is being coached well then starting a thread "Poorly coached..." is flat out wrong. "Saleh coaching poorly" would be more accurate. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

People don't quit jobs, they quit bosses.

Agreed. That brings up a great anecdotal story, 

Was working down in Ft Lauderdale a handful of years ago with a team of roughly 50. Hurricane Michael (Cat5) bearing down within the day and my direct boss told me to fire anyone that didnt show up for work (non essential job roles) over the next three to four days. 

Keep in mind the governor was on tv telling people to evacuate and close business. So I individually called every employee, told them all to call me back and call off work directly. 

Then I called my boss back, told her that not a single team member could make it in and that I had no choice to shut everything down. 

We were closed for a week because of the extent of the damage, and after I made sure everybody was still employed, I quit immediately. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Were winning 3 of the last 5?. That's a bold statement. 

I didn’t predict anything, I said at the end of the day they should have won 6 based on The Who;le schedule and still have a chance to win 6..

Schedule:

New Orleans

Miami… 

Jacksonville… 

Tampa Bay

Buffalo

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Agreed. That brings up a great anecdotal story, 

Was working down in Ft Lauderdale a handful of years ago with a team of roughly 50. Hurricane Michael (Cat5) bearing down within the day and my direct boss told me to fire anyone that didnt show up for work (non essential job roles) over the next three to four days. 

Keep in mind the governor was on tv telling people to evacuate and close business. So I individually called every employee, told them all to call me back and call off work directly. 

Then I called my boss back, told her that not a single team member could make it in and that I had no choice to shut everything down. 

We were closed for a week because of the extent of the damage, and after I made sure everybody was still employed, I quit immediately. 

Are you hiring?

• Haha 2

Just now, Vader said:

I didn’t predict anything, I said at the end of the day they should have won 6 based on The Who;le schedule and still have a chance to win 6..

Schedule:

New Orleans

Miami… 

Jacksonville… 

Tampa Bay

Buffalo

So curious of how you define "predict."

• Upvote 1

Just now, Vader said:

Schedule:

New Orleans

Miami… 

Jacksonville… 

Tampa Bay

Buffalo

Ah ok I got ya. 

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

So curious of how you define "predict."

Ok let’s play semantics, my favorite. If I said the Jets “will” do something, that’s a prediction. If I said they “should” do something, that means maybe they will, and probably should, but maybe they won’t. That’s got a lot of wiggle room and agency…

At the end of the day I believe this team after the season is over should have won 6 games based upon the whole schedule.  

1 minute ago, Vader said:

Ok let’s play semantics, my favorite. If I said the Jets “will” do something, that’s a prediction. If I said they “should” do something, that means maybe they will, and probably should, but maybe they won’t. That’s got a lot of wiggle room and agency…

At the end of the day I believe this team after the season is over should have won 6 games based upon the whole schedule.  

I understand. Like I should've gotten to 2nd base with Janice Murklestein after junior prom. Thanks for clarifying.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

That's a good philosophy. I'm all about the servant leader role. People respect you immensely when you take the heat. 

I remember the first time I ever tried to pass the buck, I got lit up like a whore on the fourth of July by my TSgt. 

I've been extremely fortunate in my time to have some amazing leaders above me that have coached me through the years after the military. 

Thank you for your service.  You may have a different perspective if you had served a bit longer in the military.  Some units gets run down from multiple years of piss poor leadership and the turn around time requires a more consistent approach to the fundamentals before they turn the corner.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Thank you for your service.  You may have a different perspective if you had served a bit longer in the military.  Some units gets run down from multiple years of piss poor leadership and the turn around time requires a more consistent approach to the fundamentals before they turn the corner.

Yeah that does happen for sure. I was in for 8 years and feel I saw everything from good to bad in different units that I interacted with.

This entire board knew before the season started that the defense was going to be all-time bad.

This entire board bitched the first third of the season because all they wanted was the offense to develop and show some life in a lost season. 

Well guess what?  Zach is playing well, the offense is looking like a real NFL team for the first time in a decade, and the defense sucks.

It's exactly what everyone expected AND hoped for.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

This team was 2-14 last year. Did any of us really expect that they were going to win 6 games this year? If you did, you need to get a grip on reality.

I'm not going to say Saleh is the next Vince Lombardi. I don't know yet if he is or he isn't. One thing that bothers me is the dogged insistence on playing the same defense. Obviously the personnel is not there to execute this well, so, please change it up a little.

They were totally out-physicalled today on defense. No pressure on Minshew, and no attempts to run stunts or games up front to generate some pressure. And they just cannot stop the run by any team. Yes, we could use an edge rusher, but we really need  a gigantic run stuffer to occupy some offensive linemen on run plays.

But what we really need is more patience and let these young players mature and see where that leaves us. If they are still like this next year, I will lead the "Fire xxxx" campaign.

If you cant expect a team to improve from 2 wins to 6 wins in the following season with an extra game now in the season, then what are we even doing.

We should have been aiming for 6-8 wins this season and wildcard next season.

Anything less is failure.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yeah that does happen for sure. I was in for 8 years and feel I saw everything from good to bad in different units that I interacted with.

Sometimes the leader or coach gets dealt a bad hand.  I did 24 years.  Sometimes a good leader leader gets placed with the worst unit.  The idea being the leader can at least stop the bleeding and get a return to basics.  I have no idea the behind the scenes of Robert Saleh staff but I do realize at times you have to teach/preach basic fundamentals until you chase away those who constantly take short cuts and refuse to take accountability and eventually train/reward the young guns till they are ready for more leadership.  The biggest thing I see with Saleh is he is willing to work/train young guys for more leadership.  Hence, the Jets are headed in a better direction than not, IMHO.  

25 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

This entire board knew before the season started that the defense was going to be all-time bad.

This entire board bitched the first third of the season because all they wanted was the offense to develop and show some life in a lost season. 

Well guess what?  Zach is playing well, the offense is looking like a real NFL team for the first time in a decade, and the defense sucks.

It's exactly what everyone expected AND hoped for.

No no no. Not everyone. 

I was absolutely ASSURED by this board that my very reasonable concerns about our entire secondary unit were for naught. 

I was told the problems I was seeing in pre-season and the first few games weren't there and that these young corners were among the best in the league. 

Well 12 games in, and they get torched all the time and largely by nobodies. 

• WTF? 1

Just now, JTJet said:

No no no. Not everyone. 

I was absolutely ASSURED by this board that my very reasonable concerns about our entire secondary unit were for naught. 

I was told the problems I was seeing in pre-season and the first few games weren't there and that these young corners were among the best in the league. 

Well 12 games in, and they get torched all the time and largely by nobodies. 

You were ASSURED by this board that a secondary full of late round rookies, late round safeties drafted to play linebacker, and our best pass rusher being lost for the season was going to be good?  

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Check out this tackle attempt from Davis

This type of tackling is rampant throughout the league. Very very few wrap up anymore just want to shoulder them down with a big hit and all the ball carrier does is shake  it off. Been like this for years now 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You were ASSURED by this board that a secondary full of late round rookies, late round safeties drafted to play linebacker, and our best pass rusher being lost for the season was going to be good? 

Indeed. Its weird that nobody talks about it anymore isn't it? 

• Upvote 1

So during the 4 games leading up to last week, the defense struggled and Saleh (who is not the DC) was considered trash and the Jets were doomed.  Last week, the defense completely shut down Houston in the 2nd half and Wilson struggled and all we heard from the doomsayers and impatient toddlers was that the QB stunk and the Jets were doomed.  Now the QB plays a pretty good game and we are back to Saleh stinks.  The expectation that this team would be competitive this season is so ridiculously unrealistic given the personnel, the injuries, and need for development and growth from the young team and the young CS.  

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Re-rack 'em and get ready for the same thing next off season. The skeptics versus the "YOU ARE HATERZ WHO WANT JET FAIL!!! GRRRRRRR!"

Exactly. It's amazing how even a light criticism early on can be met with violent denial. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Sometimes the leader or coach gets dealt a bad hand.  I did 24 years.  Sometimes a good leader leader gets placed with the worst unit.  The idea being the leader can at least stop the bleeding and get a return to basics.  I have no idea the behind the scenes of Robert Saleh staff but I do realize at times you have to teach/preach basic fundamentals until you chase away those who constantly take short cuts and refuse to take accountability and eventually train/reward the young guns till they are ready for more leadership.  The biggest thing I see with Saleh is he is willing to work/train young guys for more leadership.  Hence, the Jets are headed in a better direction than not, IMHO.  

Oh save me

I also served 

Soentimes you relieve commanders who don’t get results 

**** Saleh 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Show me one thread that was started from someone other than DWC that 'ASSURED' you the defense was going to be good after Lawson went down. 

Jesus. I was being hyperbolic about the assurance, but there are PLENTY of people on here that blindly refused to accept how bad our D was going to be very early on. 

Just go back and re read the first few game threads. That's generally where it was happening. 

Just now, JTJet said:

Jesus. I was being hyperbolic about the assurance, but there are PLENTY of people on here that blindly refused to accept how bad our D was going to be very early on. 

Just go back and re read the first few game threads. That's generally where it was happening. 

Game threads aren't reality.  Game threads are where people post with their hearts in the heat of the moment and their unrealistic fandom comes out.  I make ridiculous predictions as a joke every week that we're going to win by 30 points.

What happens in the game threads, stays in the game threads. 

• Haha 1