Idzik Speaks! Inside a decade of dysfunction of New York Jets football

Matt39

6 hours ago, slats said:

This is my hope. It’s pretty clear that JD and Saleh are partners on the same page. That alone is different than anything we’ve seen around here since Tanny and Rex - the last time this team had any success at all. Time will tell if the page they’re on is a good one, but I like what they’re trying to do and that’s why I support them. The forced marriages of the previous decade were disasters. This time they’re actually trying to do things the right way. 

The subtext of this article seems to me, to be, that JD and Saleh have a long rope.  If turnover is the problem they're talking about today, then they're going to, as usual, do the opposite.  They'll have two high picks and plenty of FA money to keep this going with, but the likelihood that he needs a new LT and new QB is pretty high.  So, this is not a great starting point, even with the resources.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My hunch is that Bowles is far too classy to talk crap about the Jets.  And Macc was paid well and for way too long by the Jets and never should've gotten the opportunity he did in the first place.  

EDIT: My point being that neither would talk crap about the organization.

Todd Bowles was framed is 100% my hill.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Curtis Martin has said that he rarely watches football and only got into it as a way to get out of the projects, so maybe not the kind of guy we’d want running the franchise.

People used to celebrate curtis always handing the ball off after a big play and never celebrating as the right way to play. Its literally because he didnt care.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

When I meant the Jets should be run by "a poll of JN," I meant me, @Jetsfan80, you and sperm :D 

I honestly don't think it would be that hard.  Give me a year to truly learn the X's and O's, and then pay me to do nothing but hire smart people and watch college football - I think I could build a championship team.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

I honestly don't think it would be that hard.  Give me a year to truly learn the X's and O's, and then pay me to do nothing but hire smart people and watch college football - I think I could build a championship team.

Just blindly go down Mel Kiper's big board and it's an automatic improvement. The bar is that low.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Just blindly go down Mel Kiper's big board and it's an automatic improvement. The bar is that low.

I honestly think that the truth is, don't draft the wrong QB high.  And, I don't think that is that hard to do.  But, it means doing like you and I have suggested, putting the team in the hands of a veteran with limited upside.  There were monster red flags on Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, and Wilson - didn't matter.  Worst case scenario I miss out on unicorn situation in Josh Allen.  We've seen this offense be functional with QBs who aren't good - Flacco and White.  Someone should have said, we need a QB, but these guys ain't it.  And, lived with a vet for a year, even 2, until the right guy was there.  QBs are so over-valued in the draft and guys who show upside, like Wilson did, sink teams, like Wilson is*

*This doesn't mean it's all Wilson's fault, or that we'd be good with another QB.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I honestly think that the truth is, don't draft the wrong QB high.  And, I don't think that is that hard to do.  But, it means doing like you and I have suggested, putting the team in the hands of a veteran with limited upside.  There were monster red flags on Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, and Wilson - didn't matter.  We've seen this offense be functional with QBs who aren't good - Flacco and White.  Someone should have said, we need a QB, but these guys ain't it.  And, lived with a vet for a year, even 2, until the right guy was there.  QBs are so over-valued in the draft and guys who show upside, like Wilson did, sink teams, like Wilson is*

*This doesn't mean it's all Wilson's fault, or that we'd be good with another QB.

Drafting a QB high is fine. But as the most important position in sport, you don't put all your eggs in the basket of an unknown quantity. Many are concerned what competition will do to the confidence of a rookie QB. What about what it will do to his confidence if he earns the starting role?

Society has gotten really great at preserving confidence and self-esteem. We have a long way to go to get good at building it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

It all starts at the top! It was ridiculous to fire Tannenbaum and retain Rex.  Either sweep both out, or give both one more season. That  said, interviewing GMs on the condition the HC had to stay cuts down on the number of qualified candidates.  Once Idzik was hired, he should have been given the opportunity to determine Rex's faith after the 2013 season. 

2014 was a disaster! The proper cause of action that season should have been to allow Idzik to fire Rex, force Idzik to hire a front office football personnel guy to assist in the draft and personnel decisions while allowing Idzik to do what he did best, develop a successful plan within the cap restraints of NFL.

The reason I feel this way is because Idzik had a good plan! Unfortunately he lacked the expertise to carry it out alone. With the proper support, and a HC that shared his vision, it could have worked.

So youre saying Idzik wasnt good, but if given enough time, would have eventually hired enough talented people that would have covered for his incompetence?

27 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Could you really be serious ?  Please tell me this is some kind of bad joke I didnt get.

We have coaches from championship teams that have been doing this their whole lives, and half this board thinks they suck and should be replaced.

But you think you can read for a year, take the match book home study course, and build a “championship team”?    

Please be sure to share your resume when you start applying for jobs.

13 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

The guy couldnt manage the team or the game.   So many wasted time outs.   Punting with 3 mins down 2 scores.   He was a defensive coach who coached a bad defense.   So tell me how was he “ framed”?

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

5 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Could you really be serious ?  Please tell me this is some kind of bad joke I didnt get.

We have coaches from championship teams that have been doing this their whole lives, and half this board thinks they suck and should be replaced.

But you think you can read for a year, take the match book home study course, and build a “championship team”?    

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

The guy couldnt manage the team or the game.   So many wasted time outs.   Punting with 3 mins down 2 scores.   He was a defensive coach who coached a bad defense.   So tell me how was he “ framed”?

There was no team to manage.  No talent and about the worst QB rooms we've ever had.  Him being "too conservative" was him knowing the team sucked, trying to keep the game close and steal a win.  He got no NFL talent from his GM and yet, Bowles sniffed the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick and got the only glimmer of hope out of Sam Darnold that we ever saw.

He also didn't suddenly learn how to coach defense when he got to Tampa Bay and his defense basically won them a Super Bowl.

But I'm probably chasing windmills engaging in this conversation with someone who calls themselves "Bowles Movement" on this website.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I didn't say I could coach.  Certainly not.

Being a GM is a different job.  And, having a smart plan, aggregating data, not getting cute, nor letting your ego get in the way, is pretty much the job.  As @jgb points out, at least during the Maccagnan era, Mel Kiper's big board would have been better than Macc actually did.  It's also not that hard not to sign the Leveon Bell's and Trumaine Johnsons of the world.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, jgb said:

Drafting a QB high is fine. But as the most important position in sport, you don't put all your eggs in the basket of an unknown quantity. Many are concerned what competition will do to the confidence of a rookie QB. What about what it will do to his confidence if he earns the starting role?

Society has gotten really great at preserving confidence and self-esteem. We have a long way to go to get good at building it.

If I drafted Zach Wilson, which I wouldn't have done for a number of reasons including that I'd have replaced Darnold before this year, he wouldn't have taken a snap this season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

If I drafted Zach Wilson, which I wouldn't have done for a number of reasons including that I'd have replaced Darnold before this year, he wouldn't have taken a snap this season.

We wouldn't have needed to draft a QB. I would've hired McCarthy, brought in Tannehill after Darnold's first year as bust insurance. He would've taken over the job at latest when Darnold missed time in year 2 and he'd still be here today. His backup would be Mitch Trubisky, who has a very similar game to Tannehill.

• Upvote 1

Good thing we have straightened this out now.  Woody has given the reigns to Joe Douglas and Joe knocked it out of the park w/ the Saleh hire.
Hang in there Jet fans.  This will turn around soon.
You the monolith from 2001. .. unmoveable.... and unwaivering ... Kudos.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Interesting point, but the problem is that most of our "Home Grown stars" of the past 30 years don't seem to fit the bill, or moved on to other teams for a new identity. 

Brick Ferguson always seemed like a smart dude, but I think his interests are outside of Football.

Wayne Chrebet is loved, but man, he really took a beating. 

Anthony Becht would be an interesting,  out of the box guy for consideration in the FO, or maybe Chad Pennington?

That's all I got. 

9b01ec7943971634dde4035a013085925b-03-cu

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

An absolute mistake. Also recall that someone (Maccagnan) was sliming the sh*t out of Mike McCarthy via Manish, which kneecapped his chances of getting the Jets job, then Maccagnan had Rhule all but signed, but Rhule bailed because Maccagnan was forcing Gregg Williams on him as a presumed hedge. 

MacCagnan was also the target of Manish articles that quoted anonymous inside sources who were critical of his draft picks, particularly passing on Kamara while others in the organization were supposedly pounding the table for him.

21 hours ago, doitny said:

there is more to the story that the OP didnt post

Some felt that Idzik ran a closed-door operation, minimizing input from scouts and coaches. Ryan told ESPN that in 2013, he pleaded with Idzik to draft defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, who slipped to the third round. Didn't happen. Ryan said he also lobbied for tight end Travis Kelce. Didn't happen.

In 2014, the Jets suffered perhaps the worst draft in their history -- 12 draft picks, no impact players. Instead of packaging his surplus of picks to move up for premium players, Idzik did nothing, infuriating Ryan.

"First off, nobody in their right mind is going to draft all 12 guys," Ryan said, still in disbelief.

This was really painful to read.  It’s hard not to think that most of the posters on this board could have made better use of those 12 draft picks. I give Idzik credit for speaking up, but he was awful and truly set this franchise back by many years.

• Upvote 2

Kind of feels like Rex is getting off easy in this article — maybe that’s because he works for ESPN right now.  His supposed urging Tannebaum to take Quinton Coples over Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram continues to haunt this franchise.  I still don’t understanding what Rex was thinking there because the red flags were everywhere with Coples and we had such a bigger need at Edge.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Kind of feels like Rex is getting off easy in this article — maybe that’s because he works for ESPN right now.  His supposed urging Tannebaum to take Quinton Coples over Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram continues to haunt this franchise.  I still don’t understanding what Rex was thinking there because the red flags were everywhere with Coples and we had such a bigger need at Edge.

its sad but outside of this fan base Rex is looked at as a good coach. ask your non Jets friends what they think about him. they think we love him

i think most of the football world would be surprised to see half this board hates Rex

7 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Rex is an idiot. "SURE trade for Tebow! Calvin Pryor can HIT man! Draft him!" "I was scouting kentucky and I saw this fullback blowing people up, draft John Conner!!"

• Upvote 2

There's been one common denominator through all of this it was his fault no his fault but it was really their fault when the bottom line is WOODY JOHNSON is a failure as owner of the New York Jets. I implore him to sell the team every time he posts on Twitter which uniform the team will be sporting that week. Uniforms, guys! Honest to God.

• Post of the Week 1