Idzik Speaks! Inside a decade of dysfunction of New York Jets football

Matt39

Rex Ryan sent us into the tailspin that we are still trying to pull out of.

We went from Mangini/Tannenbaum’s strategy of bringing in high character players who were smart and loved football, many of whom were team captains on their college teams (every player from the franchise-changing 2006 draft were college team captains), to bringing in sh*theads. Out were players like Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, Ladanian Tomlinson, and in came Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason types. And he bullied GM’s into making ridiculous picks like Dee Milliner and the “Louisville Slugger” Calvin Pryor. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Where has this "home grown" former player football adviser worked in the NFL?  Denver?  I'm not sure former players are the best candidates for FO jobs.  Playing in the NFL doesn't make someone a talent evaluator.  

SF would be a good example

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Then you aren’t paying attention

No. I’m pretty sure I’m paying attention. You can take one JD draft pick and say it’s better then Idziks 12. 

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

We already know most because you are on a fan forum 

And no again. I know most because I’m fan and lived through it? Like everyone else lol. 

Wake up Kev

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Where has this "home grown" former player football adviser worked in the NFL?  Denver?  I'm not sure former players are the best candidates for FO jobs.  Playing in the NFL doesn't make someone a talent evaluator.  

There are plenty of teams that employ former players for a wide variety of roles. I would think it can help in terms of having a guy that understands player mindset and locker room culture. Not saying we should call Chad Pennington and put him in charge of scouting....

The more salient point is that the Jets have drafted so poorly for so long, we literally don't have more than a handful of guys you could name that would have the gravitas, accumen, and intelligence to have around in the FO. 

And the guys who might have been that type of player (Vilma, Davis?) Are traded or released by the Jets and stake their identity elsewhere. 

It's sad that in 2021, going into 22, Joe Namath is still essentially the "Face of the Franchise", and our most respected player around the league.

That is very sad.

It's just a conversation,  different from the "Defense Is bad!! Zach Wilson stink!!" barrage.

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Idzik was smart with money but couldn’t draft 

sound familiar? 

Compare John Idzik’s second draft to Joe Douglas’ and get back to me because one of them improved significantly in his second year at the helm and the other crapped the bed. In fact, I’d venture to say that the 2021 draft was better than any this team has had since maybe 2006 - and that’s with Zach Wilson not quite looking like a franchise QB just yet (shall we say). And even 2006 is no lock as better. May have to go all the way back to the four first round pick draft of 2000. 

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/jets

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Thank you Optimism Prime bot. 

He is optimistic, but in reading that it almost makes you feel like it has a sarcastic ring to it. But, that is how we all feel as Jet fans with the structure of our brass/coaches since we have been through so much especially the past decade to where we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop. We do finally have the structure we wanted where the owner(s) picked the GM and the GM picked the HC that reports directly to the GM. Then the HC picked all of his assistant coaches/coordinators(for better or worse), which is better than forcing coaches on the HC, which cost us Rhule(though he stinks) and also didn't get the Gase administration off to a good start either. We just need to give these guys some time to get their plan rolling further. We cannot keep changing regimes here. There is no more brass saviors like GMs Wolf/Polian, HCs Parcells/Reid that are worth upgrading to. Going to another GM and HC will net us likely what we are seeing right now. And continuity is not 2 years. It is at least 3 years and that includes the HC, so Saleh needs to provide more of his input into mostly next years draft to get the defenders he needs to run his defense i.e more Edge and LB help as well as somehow get players who can stop the run. And, continue to get what Wilson needs to continue to progress, which is more Oline help and better upgrades/options with receivers i.e TE, a big WR to pair with Moore(not named Davis or Cole), etc. We may have gotten at least a spot starter at RG even into next year as well as a kicker, and the 3 starting CBs look good and should be even better if they sure up the front 7. With top 3 cap $ and the amount of high draft picks in 2022, we really need a home run their mainly in the draft. FA is a problem since the best players likely won't want to come here, but we'll see how that goes. They could try to perform some trades, and that will likely cost draft capital. The Bills did that with Diggs for a 2nd rounder. No Jet fan would say that is not a trade they would not sign up for. JD cannot just make good trades dumping off our players, he has to do it bringing in players we need on both sides of the ball and for God sakes somehow do something to keep these guys healthy. This is sickening all these injuries and prevents progress.    

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

No. I’m pretty sure I’m paying attention. You can take one JD draft pick and say it’s better then Idziks 12. 

And no again. I know most because I’m fan and lived through it? Like everyone else lol. 

Wake up Kev

He had one guy from 20…hall

who is an ok corner but not Revis and his fa has been bad

wake up 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Compare John Idzik’s second draft to Joe Douglas’ and get back to me because one of them improved significantly in his second year at the helm and the other crapped the bed. In fact, I’d venture to say that the 2021 draft was better than any this team has had since maybe 2006 - and that’s with Zach Wilson not quite looking like a franchise QB just yet (shall we say). And even 2006 is no lock as better. May have to go all the way back to the four first round pick draft of 2000. 

Moore is good but on IR 

Carter is semi good so far and was on IR

Wilson stinks 

His late rounders stink 

21 was not a terrible draft but let’s stop acting like we changed the franchise in a draft.

and  Wilson if a bust sets us back years 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Since you brought up the QB (who has nothing to do with Idzik, this article, or the subject of the thread)...

nevermind GIF

Never mind. 

• Upvote 1

Idzik had the correct basic approach, but his 2014 was just a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

For me, and again this is just me, the turn in the functionality of this organization was the move to bring in Tim Tebow. The Jets were on a fairly good run, and for this franchise, practically a dynasty.

But Woody (and maybe Rex) could not let it takes its own course (building organically). Woody seemed to get drunk with the power of having a good football team and the marketing luxuries that come with that. He had to milk that cash cow a little bit more. 

Enter Tim Tebow. A marketing godsend that sings to middle America. Perfect for Woody to glom onto that, while the crest of the wave was high.

Problem was, it was just not a good fit. The Jets had Sanchez, and he was just ok. But in terms of Jet qb development,  he should have been given a better shot. This move undercut his knees and stability. Now you have a young qb, somewhat fragile in confidence, and you bring in this Tebow hype machine. It just seemed to upset the whole balance of the team.

And I believe that Rex may have played a big part, also. The Wildcat just ate his defenses up. And in his mind, anything that ate his defenses up was sure to work miracles. That, and Rex Ryan just does not have staying power in an  organization. Hhe is bound to blow things up at some point, because that would make daddy Buddy proud. It is the Ryan way.

Maybe everything would have gone downhill as fast without the Tebow addition, but it sure did seem to put everything in a breakneck mode to destruction. 

For what its worth, Mike Tannenbaum took full responsibility for the Tebow move after he was fired. He flat out said that he was the one who really wanted to bring Tebow in. He said he believed Tebow was a "special" player. 

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Moore is good but on IR 

Wilson stinks 

His late rounders stink 

21 was not a terrible draft but let’s stop acting like we changed the franchise in a draft.

Moore on IR is already better then anything idzik drafted. 

• Upvote 3

The main takeaway of this is what we already knew. The Johnsons are a cancer. 

They're the one common denominator through this atrocious spell. As much as I sh*t on Douglas and Mac, as much as other sh*t on Tanny and Rex - Every one of them is hindered by the incompetence above them. Those Peyton and Casserly consultations just allow for nepotistic appointments and you end up with guys completely out of their depth. 

The product on the field is always a reflection of what's happening off of it and the Jets have just been staggeringly bad to the point where a random group of fans could probably do a better job. What a sh*tshow and it's unlikely to turn anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Since you brought up the QB (who has nothing to do with Idzik, this article, or the subject of the thread)...

nevermind GIF

Never mind. 

Yeah, no idea why you get accused of trolling or picking fights. I’m in the mod lounge defending you every day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Moore is good but on IR 

Wilson stinks 

His late rounders stink 

Like Hall, Echolls and Mann in his only two drafts stink?  Theyre 5th or 6th round picks who are better than anyone Idzik picked.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Pot meet kettle.  You and him are opposite sides of the same troll coin. With you it's all bad no hope all day everyday.  With him, it's buy SB tix for 2023.  The truth is in the very large middle.  

Wrong I’m at every home game cheering

bur I won’t stick my head in the sand and act like all his fine

we Have won 5 games in the last 31 weeks of football. Let that sink in 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

For what its worth, Mike Tannenbaum took full responsibility for the Tebow move after he was fired. He flat out said that he was the one who really wanted to bring Tebow in. He said he believed Tebow was a "special" player. 

I've always wondered about that.

I suspect that even if Woody 100% pushed for the move Tannenbaum would take the blame for it. He has a cushy ESPN gig at this point and bashing NFL owners just isn't something you see guys like him do in a public forum.

Regardless, I genuinely think that was the dumbest personnel move in Jets history.

I remember seeing the rumors and insisting to multiple people I knew that "there's no way the Jets would be that stupid." It just seemed like such an obvious, no-brainer disaster in the making -- that there was just no way it would ever work out or be a net positive for the org.

It says a lot about Tannenbaum if he actually thought it was a good idea. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This was left out?  Kind of changes the tone a bit

yeah they wrote the article kinda weird. 1st its was about the Giants, then the Jets, then back to the Giants and back to the Jets.... the OP probably thought they were finish with the Jet talk but there was a lot more.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Echols is a rotational CB

Mann has consistent bad yardage in punts

Do you even watch the games 

Wrong as usual and you have no idea what makes up a good late round pick.

Echols is playing better than anyone should expect from a 6th and Hall easily better than a 5th, or higher.

You need to understand that watching games doesnt mean you are qualified to tear those picks apart.   

22 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Moore is good but on IR 

Wilson stinks 

His late rounders stink 

Careful, friend. 

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I suspect that even if Woody 100% pushed for the move Tannenbaum would take the blame for it. He has a cushy ESPN gig at this point and bashing NFL owners just isn't something you see guys like him do in a public forum.

Regardless, I genuinely think that was the dumbest personnel move in Jets history.

I remember seeing the rumors and insisting to multiple people I knew that "there's no way the Jets would be that stupid." It just seemed like such an obvious, no-brainer disaster in the making -- that there was just no way it would ever work out or be a net positive for the org.

I actually heard Tannenbaum say this and I found him sincere and believed him. 

I also think he is exactly the type of GM who would have been fooled by Tebow. I suspect that the Woody "meddling owner" narrative is a tad bit overrated and mainly only came into play when the Jets traded for Favre. 

24 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Moore is good but on IR 

Wilson stinks 

His late rounders stink 

what about MC2 he does not stink, and AVT says hello

thats 4 players who should be good for years to come. 

last time that happened was in 2000 when we drafted Abraham, Ellis, Chad and Coles.

best draft in 20 years no matter what Zach becomes. but id hes good it could be the best in our history

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

https://www.espn.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8894381/mike-tannenbaum-tim-tebow-trade-new-york-jets-my-idea-no-regrets

33 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Moore is good but on IR 

Wilson stinks 

His late rounders stink 

So which Jets’ drafts do you think were better? 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They described a man easily influenced by those in his inner circle and by public sentiment. One former member of the organization said Johnson replaced "good people" after the playoff run and "kept people not as qualified, but had his ear."

This above should surprise no one.  Woody is NOT a leader, not a good business man or clear thinker.  

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I wasn't questioning you that he said it, I've seen his comments. I just don't necessarily think him saying it means it's the truth.

Fair. 

There was another radio interview where I heard him say similar things and I just thought he was being sincere. We'll never know for sure what the Tebow thing was. 

When Rex was here, the franchise was littered with timely leaks to the press and clashing personalities behind closed doors, so it's hard to say for sure what happened. But Tanny went out of his way to suggest that Woody was initially skeptical of the Tebow move and I thought that was interesting. We'll never know for sure, and at the end of the day, they all take responsibility for that silliness. 

• Upvote 1