Damien Woody’s warning for Mekhi Becton with bust whispers starting

Anthony Jet

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

He is a tackle and can play either side.  He played RT in college because his QB was left-handed and he was the best athlete to cover the blind side.  When he went to TB, they kept him there because why would you put a rookie at LT when you have Tom Brady running the show?

As for the Combine 40---don't know where you're getting your info but the numbers posted show Wirfs ran a 4.85 and Becton ran a 5.1.

Its harder to play LT because the best pass rushers are on that side.  I doubt you take a top 1st round pick and move him.  They wanted a LT to play LT.  The pick was viewed by almost everyone as Wirfs or Becton, probably Becton.  

Yeah, I screwed up the 40 times.  Sorry about that one

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Its harder to play LT because the best pass rushers are on that side.  I doubt you take a top 1st round pick and move him.  They wanted a LT to play LT.  The pick was viewed by almost everyone as Wirfs or Becton, probably Becton.  

Yeah, I screwed up the 40 times.  Sorry about that one

None of the mock drafts had Becton over Wirfs…..  but in JD we trust?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

A picture says a lot of words sometimes.  Does this look like a guy who has been focused and training to be his best? M

He’s got a kid on the way.   The body he walks into camp with could make or break him. 

4D82A6CA-F2B8-4E47-8B00-05BCB1996D1F.jpeg

Well no wonder he looks like that.

He's eating for two now.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It might be difficult for Mekhi if he's never had to reach the level of fitness required/expected, but at the least solution is simple and straightforward. 

For us, it's not nearly as straightforward 

• are we signing someone?
  • are we drafting someone? 
  • are we giving Fant a long-term deal? 
  • do we attempt to trade Becton?
  • do we bring back Moses?

I have no idea. 

Well much like most say about QBs, you keep picking them till you get one, Tackles can be considered similar especially LT. The Jets have Fant and should let him stay at LT moving forward since it is more important to keep things moving forward with Wilson’s development than experimenting with the LT position. As they say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Also, now that it seems the oline players are getting comfortable with the zone blocking scheme where the running game seems to be better and Zack has been getting enough time to throw, hopefully we can plug-in a RT whether it be Moses, Becton, or even another draft pick this year. Also, it seems we have our starting guards and we likely should pickup a center in the draft to be behind McGovern and also then hopefully either one of them can play guard where we get more depth there. We seem to be better at oline even with the situation with Becton, and we just need to continue to bolster the TE and WR positions for the Offense to be more explosive.

Woody's comments were much less damning of Becton than the sentiment here. 

He totally supports shutting him down for the year and says that he thought the initial projected return time was always optimistic given the injury and Becton's size. He isn't criticizing him for not being able to come back this year. 

That he then argues it's vital that Mekhi use this time to get in the shape of his life, is common sense and I don't think anyone disagrees with under the circumstances. 

• Upvote 2