Damien Woody’s warning for Mekhi Becton with bust whispers starting

Anthony Jet

it's so easy to pass judgement on some player.  becton is a huge guy so what may have worked for woody may not work for him.  it certainly doesn't look good with him missing the whole season and a few games last season.  the oline needs to be able to play every down.  hopefully he'll take woody's advice to heart and come back ready to play.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's so easy to pass judgement on some player.  becton is a huge guy so what may have worked for woody may not work for him.  it certainly doesn't look good with him missing the whole season and a few games last season.  the oline needs to be able to play every down.  hopefully he'll take woody's advice to heart and come back ready to play.

Ultimately, isn't that part of the gig?   High pick players like Becton come into a team with effusive praise from the owner, GM and media.  After all that "huckstering", injuries or not, shouldn't we as fans expect better than what Becton has shown us so far?  I would say yes,

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

It might be difficult for Mekhi if he's never had to reach the level of fitness required/expected, but at the least solution is simple and straightforward. 

For us, it's not nearly as straightforward 

• are we signing someone?
  • are we drafting someone? 
  • are we giving Fant a long-term deal? 
  • do we attempt to trade Becton?
  • do we bring back Moses?

I have no idea. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Yes. Some seem to like to dump on players. Call them fat, or midgets. I get rooting for draft picks, but I don't get actively making fun of the team (like in a thread about breaking most points scored against) or players. Not sure why. It is like they want the team to stink. 

If you believe only positive praise is appropriate?  I think you missed what it means to be a fan of sports team.   Again, ripping the team's play or a player's performance is part of the gig.   Players know the drill.   Guess the sting of criticism is assuaged by the millions they receive to play a game.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't give up on Becton just yet. The guy needs to be in top shape next year but sometimes good players get hurt. He's a big guy and he got rolled over when the injury occurred. sh*t happens. Does Lawson suck because he tore his achilles? Becton did have a good rookie season and made all rookie team. Lets not forget that. If he can stay on the field he can be a force. Next year is huge for him. 

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If you believe only positive praise is appropriate?  I think you missed what it means to be a fan of sports team.   Again, ripping the team's play or a player's performance is part of the gig.   Players know the drill.   Guess the sting of criticism is assuaged by the millions they receive to play a game.

I don't mind criticism, I don't get the giddy attitude of fans who love to bash a team they say they support.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

More on Becton, from Tony Pauline/ProFootballNetwork.com today.  Certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out this offseason.  Regardless of what they may do with Becton, Fant deserves to be extended.

Is Mekhi Becton’s time with the New York Jets coming to a close?
PFN's Chief Draft Analyst Tony Pauline sheds some light on the current situation surrounding New York Jets OT Mekhi Becton.

By
Tony Pauline
December 31, 2021
What's in this article?  Click to show 
Two months ago, in an article focused on the problems permeating through the New York Jets organization, Pro Football Network’s Chief Draft Analyst Tony Pauline mentioned the franchise was not happy with 2020 first-round pick Mekhi Becton. Since then, Pauline has discovered the situation has gone from bad to worse. Now, the Jets have a decision to make.

The situation with Mekhi Becton is not getting better
During Wednesday’s edition of Pro Football Weekly, Pauline reported on what he’s hearing, including a possible split between the coaching staff and front office on Becton’s future with the team.

Pauline mentioned that he’s hearing Jets offensive coaches are done with Becton. They want to move forward with George Fant, a 2020 free agent signing. Fant has developed into a fine left tackle and New York’s most consistent offensive lineman.

“The coaches know what they are getting with Fant,” Pauline reported. “He shows up every day to practice and he’s ready to play every Sunday.”

Pauline pointed out Fant’s development has taken off since he’s lined up at left tackle to replace Becton.

“The constant shifting from left tackle to right tackle, both with the Jets and when he was with the Seattle Seahawks, really hurt Fant’s development,” Pauline said. “He’s an athletic guy and a natural left tackle.”

Pauline reminded everyone of the criticisms of Becton that he first mentioned in his October article. Becton is known for tapping out. As Pauline said, “Becton taps out of practices, taps out of plays, and taps out of games.”

This possibly sets up an uncomfortable situation between the Jets coaching staff and the front office, led by general manager Joe Douglas.

Earlier this week, the Jets announced that barring a miracle, Becton won’t return this season. It’s also been reported that Becton — known as “Big Ticket” — has recently been tipping the scales at over 370 pounds.

If New York’s offensive coaches are ready to move on from Becton, will Douglas and the front office acquiesce?

Pauline points out, “If they move on from Becton, that means the first two picks Joe Douglas made as general manager of the Jets did not pan out for the team.”

Denzel Mims was the other player Pauline was referring to.

“Mims won’t be with the Jets in 2022,” Pauline said. “It would not be a good look for Douglas if the team rids themselves of both Mims and Becton after just two seasons.”

Tony Pauline is the Chief Draft Analyst for Pro Football Network. You can read all of Tony’s work here and give him a follow on Twitter @TonyPauline.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

More on Becton, from Tony Pauline/ProFootballNetwork.com today.  Certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out this offseason.  Regardless of what they may do with Becton, Fant deserves to be extended.

Everything seems right but if he thinks the o/u is anywhere near 370 none of this is inside.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't mind criticism, I don't get the giddy attitude of fans who love to bash a team they say they support.

I think people like you read peoples tone wrong because you are so emotionally invested and hero worship players......this is probably why any sort of criticism is met with hysterics.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Pauline reminded everyone of the criticisms of Becton that he first mentioned in his October article. Becton is known for tapping out. As Pauline said, “Becton taps out of practices, taps out of plays, and taps out of games.”

This possibly sets up an uncomfortable situation between the Jets coaching staff and the front office, led by general manager Joe Douglas.

Earlier this week, the Jets announced that barring a miracle, Becton won’t return this season. It’s also been reported that Becton — known as “Big Ticket” — has recently been tipping the scales at over 370 pounds.

If New York’s offensive coaches are ready to move on from Becton, will Douglas and the front office acquiesce?

Pauline points out, “If they move on from Becton, that means the first two picks Joe Douglas made as general manager of the Jets did not pan out for the team.”

The Wire Reaction GIF

So you missed on Becton and redeemed yourself with Fant.

JD just embrace that one of your solutions worked and admit defeat on the other. You can easily 'spin' this into a win:

"Look at how smart I am, nobody thought Fant was a LT. Becton was a boom/bust pick, and we rolled the dice on freakish athleticism."

Keeping Fant and jettisoning Becky certainly sends a clear message to the team re: professionalism and grit > 'potential' and draft position.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I didn't read the article. I'm assuming its just one fat guy calling out another fat guy. I tell people to not take diet, health advice from fat people.  Don't take financial advice from broke people either.

A picture says a lot of words sometimes.  Does this look like a guy who has been focused and training to be his best? M

He’s got a kid on the way.   The body he walks into camp with could make or break him. 

4D82A6CA-F2B8-4E47-8B00-05BCB1996D1F.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Hal N of Provo said:

A picture says a lot of words sometimes.  Does this look like a guy who has been focused and training to be his best? M

He’s got a kid on the way.

He looks like a guy who's got a kid on the way. Or like somebody photoshopped the conceited reaction meme onto a 400-pound green ewok in a training bra.

• Upvote 2