Jets Should Look at Drafting BYU RB Tyler Allgeier

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We still need receiver, tight end, rb and oline.  Joe D isnt going to think about going defense until the offense is 100% fixed.  

If we have to have another year of a crappy defense, so be it.  This is year 2 of a rebuild and an 8 win team at best.  The defense doesnt have to be fixed right now.  With a young, franchise qb, the offense needs to be fixed now.

The starting QB can’t have a completion percentage of 55% and half the starters out each game. I call bad luck and rookie we play being the culprit for most of the offensive woes.

Defense needs to get off the field to give these guys more time to figure things out. I felt like they’d have the guys in place to compete given my mock draft of London and McBride. Sheesh Wilson can’t ask for much more than that. 

this draft I’d like to see two starters on offense and three on defense. Karlaftis or thibidaux if he drops. A safety in the second and a LB in the third should suffice for a 7-8 win season in year two of the rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

1- 4- EKWONU (if he is there and JD does not make the pick, I will drive me head through a wall)

1 -10 SAUCE. (he may very well be the most perfect fit of for Sales system of any CB in history and a team identity builder/leader)

2 - 35 - Logan Hall (Prototypical 5 technique)

2 - 38 - Drake London (WR)

Round 3 and 4.  Interior OL or RB

I’d go Ekwonu every time over George Karlaftis.  Yeah I would love a top edge but Karlaftis isn’t one.  
Take Ekwonu at 4 and Wilson or London at 10 and we’re a much better offense, especially if we get a McBide or Wydermyer later on.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I look forward to the combine.   For now, I don’t understand how Karlaftis is getting so much buzz at 4 other than people wanting a dominate EDGE.  There are lots of EDGES with potential.  

For anyone who has watched him play, Tyler Allgeier will be VERY tough to pass on in the 4th.   

Agree with the second statement. Allgeier didn't play against all slouch teams this year either. Won and dominated against a few Pac 12 defenses among other bowl eligible teams. Again, With all of the holes to fill on this team a complimentary back in the 4th seems appropriate. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If we're spending a 4th rounder on a RB give me James Cook.

Going back to the fact that Allgeier is known by Wilson, he has different traits than Carter, and has a nose for the endzone Id see him fitting in better. That being said if Cook is there in the 4th they should look at him if he fills a role. Cook seems like a receiving type which I feel the Jets already have with Carter. Other options would be Jerome Ford, Robinson Jr, or Breece Hall if around. I see Carter as more of a 12-15 touch guy and a bigger back at 8-10 touches depending on gameplan.  

4 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Going back to the fact that Allgeier is known by Wilson, he has different traits than Carter, and has a nose for the endzone Id see him fitting in better. That being said if Cook is there in the 4th they should look at him if he fills a role. Cook seems like a receiving type which I feel the Jets already have with Carter. Other options would be Jerome Ford, Robinson Jr, or Breece Hall if around. I see Carter as more of a 12-15 touch guy and a bigger back at 8-10 touches depending on gameplan.  

Fair points but when drafting a 4th round RB I don't want Wilson's friend or a bruiser. I want a high upside guy with some speed.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Fair points but when drafting a 4th round RB I don't want Wilson's friend or a bruiser. I want a high upside guy with some speed.

Carter does not already fit that bill? I guess speed wise maybe not but he is shifty and sneaky quick. I do like Cook though, it will be interesting to see combines and pro days with these backs. Fair statement about the friend thing, although he did have his QB coach on the staff this year haha. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Allgeier does a good job of being patient when things need to develop and he doesn’t shy from contact.   He will get extra yards and finish a carry strong.  He has good acceleration and a nice burst.  

I wasn’t going to be the first to say it as an admitted BYU homer, but he does look like the perfect compliment to Carter.  He’s also a good blocker and can catch.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There are several RBs that fit this system that are big, fast one-cut backs.  Allegier is one of them.   My guess is that, at this point in the rebuild, JD will take the best one left in the 4th round.  

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I have been looking at a bruiser RB to compliment Michael Carter. What about BYU Running back Tyler Allgeier? At 5'11" 220 lbs, he has a nose for the end zone. Familiarity with Wilson as well as a change of pace from a shifty Michael Carter. This guy looks like an upgrade from Tyler Johnson. Maybe they could take him at pick 68 or 107 depending on draft stock? 

1-4: EDGE George Karlaftis

1-10: Trade into the teens and pick up LB Dean, LB Loyd, or C Linderbaum or Stay at 10 WR Drake London

2-35: S Jaquan Brisker

2-38: TE Trey McBride

3-68: LB Chad Muma

4-107: RB Tyler Allgeier

I like him. But I like other RBs in this draft more. So it depends on value. Where we decide to draft him and who else is available. Him playing for BYU and having familiarity with Zach has nothing to do with it. A RB does not have to have familiarity with his QB going from college to the PROs. 

Would rather have Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker III, Spiller and Haskins (if you really want a power back). Will these guys be there in the 4th round? Maybe, maybe not. 

On 1/26/2022 at 7:31 AM, GangGreen Machine said:

Jets D ranked last in the league. You go offense heavy in the 22’ draft after being last paired with a 4 win season I don’t see the GM or head coach lasting long. 

With their haul of offense last year, I think JD needs to take 2-3 defensive guys with their first four picks. 

I see this the exact opposite. Jets are not successful without Zach developing into a franchise guy. I am focusing the first and 2nd days on offense unless there is a defensive guy that is in a tier by himself and then I look to move down. We can address defense with later picks, Free agents and just getting people back healthy

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I see this the exact opposite. Jets are not successful without Zach developing into a franchise guy. I am focusing the first and 2nd days on offense unless there is a defensive guy that is in a tier by himself and then I look to move down. We can address defense with later picks, Free agents and just getting people back healthy

Depending on free agency I’d be on board with an offensive approach to the draft with one or two key defensive contributors. 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:18 AM, GangGreen Machine said:

I love Jerome Ford as well. May shoot up the draft board if he runs a 4.3 at the combine or pro day though. Remember liking Antonio Gibson who had a 3-4 round tag then he ran a 4.3 at 230lbs! Not sure the Jets draft a RB that high with all of the holes on defense. Let’s hope he runs a 4.4 and he is there in the third or fourth. 

I'm sorry, but every name in this thread stinks lol. Jerome Ford is hella no. White is gonna bust and your boi Allgeier won't get drafted. He's not instinctual and is tackled as easily as my grandmother - not to mention he's not a good fit for this scheme.

For more tips, join us ?--

https://forums.jetnation.com/forum/18-nfl-draft/

On 1/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, Jet Nut said:

I’d go Ekwonu every time over George Karlaftis.  Yeah I would love a top edge but Karlaftis isn’t one.  
Take Ekwonu at 4 and Wilson or London at 10 and we’re a much better offense, especially if we get a McBide or Wydermyer later on.

This guy gets it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, Jet Nut said:

This guy gets it. 

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

This guy gets it

As does this guy. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm sorry, but every name in this thread stinks lol. Jerome Ford is hella no. White is gonna bust and your boi Allgeier won't get drafted. He's not instinctual and is tackled as easily as my grandmother - not to mention he's not a good fit for this scheme.

I can’t even. 

On 1/26/2022 at 11:02 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

Maybe Wilson feels that Algeier can come up to speed quickly as the two have worked well at school. Maybe Lafleur can work some gadget plays into the Jets playbook that Wilson and Algeier are familiar with? Just saying

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Well at least your sorry lol. 

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

I’m starting to really like Tyler badie. Fast, stocky, hits the holes quick, and fantastic at receiving out of the backfield. 

I haven’t seen all the RB’s film yet but Badie and any other guy under 200 and under 5’9” I consider a carbon copy of Carter out of the gate as a start. I know that’s not fair but that’s my first assessment before taking a closer look. 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

No, your post. It’s was incomprehensible. 

You’re the king of draft delio here.  

Your post was bizarre. 

I was being facetious/cute, but Ford is a  “gets what’s blocked” back and doesn’t create plays that aren’t there. I don’t know if White translates well in the NFL. Bust? Again, getting cute I guess. Maybe you get pre-injury Kerryon Johnson. Or maybe you get TJ Yeldon… he’s already 23 and looks it. Maxed out. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I was being facetious/cute, but Ford is a  “gets what’s blocked” back and doesn’t create plays that aren’t there. I don’t know if White translates well in the NFL. Bust? Again, getting cute I guess. Maybe you get pre-injury Kerryon Johnson. Or maybe you get TJ Yeldon… he’s already 23 and looks it. Maxed out. 

Wasn’t questioning your draft expertise. 

The post was weird.