I’ve lost all respect for DK Metcalf

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

My fishmonger gets some great Branzino. Roast it every few months. Outstanding. 

Never tried to make it myself. I really like it with the skin crisp so would have to make it on the grill but I am sure I wouldn't make it as good as a restaurant.  Tuna, Swordfish, Cod I do all the time but Branzino I consider a bit exotic.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Never tried to make it myself. I really like it with the skin crisp so would have to make it on the grill but I am sure I wouldn't make it as good as a restaurant.  Tuna, Swordfish, Cod I do all the time but Branzino I consider a bit exotic.

It’s really not that hard. 

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

So about 15 years ago I’m up at Syracuse for a football game. Afterwards we head over to Marshall St. for what I’m told is great pizza.
I go to the counter to pay for my pie, and the cashier asks me “do you want blue cheese or ranch dressing?” 
I told her “neither, I ordered a pie, not wings…”  then I look around the dining area and everyone is dipping their slice into one or the other before every bite. I’m like “WTF?” She tells me “it’s a thing up here.” 
@playtowinthegame why?

Its actually pretty good

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Now that I heard of. Is it served cooked? Only had that in cold antipasta

part of Hero with other meats , provolone cheese roasted peppers, onions , lettuce, olive oil and red wine vinegar

If anyone is in Astoria Queens go to Sals the Sandwich King order “ The Bomb” its delicious 

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can I ask you WTF is Gabagol?  I have eaten  in dozens of authentic  italian restaurants  when I lived in Gravesend Brooklyn. There was a mafia hangout across  the street (It was hilarious. They did everything to keep it a secret but everyone knew what it was) from where I lived, and never saw it or heard of it until I started to watch the Sopranos.  

It’s a spiced dryed cured ham. Sliced thin.  It’s basically an Italian cold cut.  

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

So about 15 years ago I’m up at Syracuse for a football game. Afterwards we head over to Marshall St. for what I’m told is great pizza.
I go to the counter to pay for my pie, and the cashier asks me “do you want blue cheese or ranch dressing?” 
I told her “neither, I ordered a pie, not wings…”  then I look around the dining area and everyone is dipping their slice into one or the other before every bite. I’m like “WTF?” She tells me “it’s a thing up here.” 
@playtowinthegame why?

That would be The Varsity and having schooled there for 7 years myself, my wife for 6 years and 2 of my kids going there for 4 years each, I can say, eating there for a 1000 times, this is incontrovertibly not true. 

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

That would be The Varsity and having schooled there for 7 years myself, my wife for 6 years and 2 of my kids going there for 4 years each, I can say, eating there for a 1000 times, this is incontrovertibly not true. 

Yes that’s the place. I went to school there also, as did my daughter. The day I talked about was on Parent’s weekend her freshman year.

It was the first time I’d been back in many years.

24 minutes ago, CSNY said:

part of Hero with other meats , provolone cheese roasted peppers, onions , lettuce, olive oil and red wine vinegar

If anyone is in Astoria Queens go to Sals the Sandwich King order “ The Bomb” its delicious 

One of my sales guys lives in Astoria. Been to the beer garden there. Next time I’m there I’ll get the Bomb. 

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Unpopular opinion here: Lemon sogs the calamari and ruins the crispiness, which is the entire reason I’m eating it in the first place. Kinda like Cartman when he ate all the skin off all the fried chicken. Team Marinara all the way. 

I tend to agree with you about the lemon. I take it a step further than most when I order it with pasta in a restaurant. First, the sauce has to be very hot, lots of red pepper. Then I insist on the fried Calamari be place ON TOP of the sauce, not underneath with the pasta. I’m not a fan of soggy either.

If it’s just fried calamari served as an appetizer, I prefer the sauce served on the side

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I tend to agree with you about the lemon. I take it a step further than most when I order it with pasta in a restaurant. First, the sauce has to be very hot, lots of red pepper. Then I insist on the fried Calamari be place ON TOP of the sauce, not underneath with the pasta.

This is the right answer. If I wanted to bite into a crispy sour lemon I’d ******* order that. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Rushmore of Italian meats:

prosciutto 

sweet sopressata

hot sopressata

genoa salami

Sicilian salami for the win. It’s not easy to find, but we’ll worth it when you do.

And a stick of dried sausage and some good provolone is a tough combo to beat when watching football. Add some stuffed hot cherry peppers and I’m a happy man.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Unpopular opinion here: Lemon sogs the calamari and ruins the crispiness, which is the entire reason I’m eating it in the first place. Kinda like Cartman when he ate all the skin off all the fried chicken. Team Marinara all the way. 

If you’ve soaked the galamad in lemon, you’re doing it wrong. A light spritz of lemon and cracked sea salt is delicious. Or hot marinara. 

Either or. 

In the old days we’d go to Vincent’s on Mott Street. Deep fried calamari doused in their hot sauce.  Off the charts  

Uncle Guiespies now sells Vincent’s hot sauce.  Pretty pretty good. 

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

If you’ve soaked the galamad in lemon, you’re doing it wrong. A light spritz of lemon and cracked sea salt is delicious. Or hot marinara. 

Either or. 

In the old days we’d go to Vincent’s on Mott Street. Deep fried calamari doused in their hot sauce.  Off the charts  

Uncle Guiespies now sells Vincent’s hot sauce.  Pretty pretty good. 

Maybe your squirting technique is reasonable but in my experience most people are not just soakers but super soakers. Not worth the risk.

Anyone know if Randazzo’s on Knapp St. in Sheepshead Bay is still open?
I haven’t been there in years, but I used to love to walk up to the window and order their scungilli and calamari combo. Nothing fancy, it came in a paper basket with a plastic fork, but the sauce was great, and the fish was delicious.