Would you make the trade - PIT edition

nycdan

I've seen completely unsubstantiated (obviously) rumors of the Steelers loving Malik Willis and/or Pickett and eyeing a trade up with our #10 pick being an interesting option as it gets them ahead of WAS at #11.  The deals I've seen have varied, but let's take one of them. NYJ trade #10 to PIT for #20, #52, #84

Now with no 4th round pick, I absolutely do not believe the Steelers would trade their top 3 picks.  So I would modify it to something more possible:

• NYJ trade #10
  • PIT trades #20, #52, 2023 2nd round pick.

Same value, but more palatable for PIT.

So would we do this?

At #10 we are probably eyeing the WR of our choice, Wilson or London I suppose.  Alternatively, depending on what we do at #4, we could go Edge with Karlaftis, Ojabo, or Johnson.  

At #20 we can still land a top WR most likely, London or Burks I'd suppose.  Johnson might still be available at Edge.  Or we could go OT with Penning or LB with Lloyd if he falls.  Definitely some of the same options we might like at #10 but would feel like a slight overdraft there.

That 2nd round pick at #52 opens up some of the names we like in the early 2nd round that could fall.  That 2nd TE.  or maybe one of the first RBs to come off the board.  

And extra 2nd next year is always a nice bonus in what will hopefully be a stronger draft.

It's not something I would like to see them do before the draft (unless the offer was better), but it's something that I could see them going with at that pick depending on how the board plays out and how the QBs' stocks move in the next 10 weeks or so.

Lots of trade scenarios to consider during the silly season, but this one feels like it has an actual chance of being possible.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, heymangold said:

If I’m leaving the top 10, I want a 1st next year.

Yup.  Last year, the Bears moved up from 20 to 11 to select Fields.  They gave up their 2022 1.  If we are going back to 20, we need another 1 in return.  For reference, full details on the Bears - Giants traded last year:

Bears sent #20, #164 (5th round), 2022 #1 and 2022 #4 to Giants for #11.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Last year, the Bears moved up from 20 to 11 to select Fields.  They gave up their 2022 1.  If we are going back to 20, we need another 1 in return.  For reference, full details on the Bears - Giants traded last year:

Bears sent #20, #164 (5th round), 2022 #1 and 2022 #4 to Giants for #11.

I could see #20 + 2023 1st as well.  You are swapping this year's 2nd and next year's 2nd for next year's 1st.  Value-wise that's not too far off although the two 2nds might be technically worth a little more.   The Bears-Giants trade covers that difference and is an almost perfect comp so good call on that.

Imagine having two 1st round picks three years in a row.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I could see #20 + 2023 1st as well.  You are swapping this year's 2nd and next year's 2nd for next year's 1st.  Value-wise that's not too far off although the two 2nds might be technically worth a little more.   The Bears-Giants trade covers that difference and is an almost perfect comp so good call on that.

Imagine having two 1st round picks three years in a row.  

Would be great, as long as we nail the picks. 

Although I am not counting on it.  Every year we have the same discussions, how we are in the perfect spot to trade back.  And yet, it has been 25 years since we traded back in the first -- we traded out of the first once (Doug Jolley), but have not traded back since 1997.  I am going into this draft expecting that we will pick and 4 and 10, and be pleasantly surprised if the opportunity presents itself.

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I’d be very surprised if the Steelers moved up for a qb let alone give away future picks. Their longtime GM is stepping down after the draft. Do you really think they’re going to saddle the new guy (who hasn’t been hired yet) with a qb that isn’t their choice and give him less picks to work with to boot? 

Good points. In addition, the Steelers usually stick and pick.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Good points. In addition, the Steelers usually stick and pick.

Ironically, in 2019 they traded from #20 to #10 (with DEN) to pick Devin Bush.  I had forgotten about that trade when I originally posted.

The traded a 2019 2nd and 2020 3rd to make the swap.

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

10 for 20 and their 2023 #1. 

We have enough 2022 picks.  

Why not take the 2022 2nd?  5 of the top 52 picks? 

The coaching staff just had a week of scouting these guy.  

Highly unlikely (better not) Jets will be coaching ‘23 Sr bowl. 

How many rookies do you want on a already very young team?

2022 is considered a weak class.  I’d rather have the 2023 premium pick for two reasons:

1. potentially deeper and better class and more importantly:

2. Next year we will have a much better understanding on where our exact weaknesses are.  After giving all of the developmental players another year in the system they will have a better idea on who can transition into a linebacker and who can’t.  This will allow JD to draft for need and fill out last holes with premium picks.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

2022 is considered a weak class.  I’d rather have the 2023 premium pick for two reasons:

2. Next year we will have a much better understanding on where our exact weaknesses are.  After giving all of the developmental players another year in the system they will have a better idea on who can transition into a linebacker and who can’t.  This will allow JD to draft for need and fill out last holes with premium picks.

Because JD gutted this team and it is way behind on depth. The projected talent at the top of round 1 just isn't close to what we need. I would take as many picks as we can get in the top 75.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Two first round picks next year would give us ammo to move up and select either Bryce Young or CJ Stroud ?