Joe Namath Story

When the Jets drafted Namath was when I became a Jets fan also. It has been a long and frustrating journey over the past 50 plus years but that 69 Super Bowl was magical. Usually when you meet a hero it doesn’t work out this well. Good for you and its nice to hear that Joe was so nice and accommodating.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Last night I met the legend himself and I wanted to share this story with my Jets brethren.

Today is my birthday and my wife takes me out to dinner last night at this restaurant in Jupiter Florida called the Beacon, which happens to be owned by Joe Namath. During dinner the manager comes over to our table and asks us how the experience was and I mention to her what  big Namath fan I am. She says, " that's great, Joe is sitting outside and he loves to meet Jets fans. Why don't you go over and say Hi."  I was hesitant but she insists and the next thing you know she walks us out to his table. Joe is sitting with his partner Charlie and another man and as I introduce my self, he and the whole table gets up and starts chatting with us.

Joe and his partners couldn't have been any nicer! We talked for about 15 minutes and Charlie walks us up to the front, introduces us to the GM of the restaurant, and tells her to take my name and give me her number and says the next time I come in dinner is on Him and Joe!

Namath is the reason that I became a Jets fan in 1974. Honestly, I have met many celebrities in my life, I am not a star chaser so to speak, but this man is so kind and humble he is just an icon and I wish all the younger player would follow his example. Joe and Charlie really went above and beyond and I wanted to share this great experience with you all.

PS I tried to load pics, but my freaking computer wont let me download from my phone!

So freaking good. Thanks for sharing. Next time include pics!*

* of the food! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I started to idolize Joe, even before he became a Jet.  I watched him limp off the bench (I believe that this was the year when he hurt his knee), during the 1965 Orange Bowl against Texas.  He started spraying the ball all over the field, with that incredibly quick release.  He led Alabama all the way back and should have won the game. All-American receiver Ray Perkins dropped the winning touchdown pass in the end zone.  I never have forgiven him.  Needless to say, I switched my allegiance from the perennially choking Giants of that era to the Jets when Joe was drafted.  
I get infuriated when people who never saw him play denigrate his stats.  In those days, Willie Brown and Kent McClouhan of the Raiders could punch and hit receivers all the way down the field. It was a different game then. Any doubters, look up the Namath vs. Unitas game on YouTube.  Joe threw 4-5 bombs for touchdowns, including 2 bombs to our tight end, Richard Caster.  In those days, an 80 yard td usually went 50-60 yards in the air.  It wasn’t like the 5 yard slants that get taken to the house nowadays. 
Last story for now.  I went to a Jets practice at Hofstra.  Joe was warming up with his backup, Babe Parilli.  The were throwing pop ups to each other. Joe’s went twice as high.  He winked at the crowd, and strolled away. Mr. Charisma. 

Edited by JoeFan
Grammar correction
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

I started to idolize Joe, even before he became a Jet.  I watched him limp off the bench (I believe that this was the year when he hurt his knee), during the 1965 Orange Bowl against Texas.  He started spraying the ball all over the field, with that incredibly quick release.  He led Alabama all the way back and should have won the game. All-American receiver Ray Perkins dropped the winning touchdown pass in the end zone.  I never have forgiven him.  Needless to say, I switched my allegiance from the perennially choking Giants of that era to the Jets when Joe was drafted.  
I get infuriated when people who never saw him play denigrate his stats.  In those days, Willie Brown and Kent McClouhan of the Raiders could punch and hit receivers all the way down the field. It was a different game then. Any doubters, look up the Namath vs. Unitas game on YouTube.  Joe threw 4-5 bombs for touchdowns, including 2 bombs to our tight end, Richard Caster.  In those days, an 80 yard td usually went 50-60 yards in the air.  It wasn’t like the 5 yard slants that get taken to the house nowadays. 
Last story for now.  I went to a Jets practice at Hofstra.  Joe was warming up with his backup, Babe Parilli.  The were throwing pop ups to each other. Joe’s went twice as high.  He winked at the crowd, and strolled away. Mr. Charisma. 

Love this bro!  Yes stats NEVER tell the whole story. Thats why the analytics only go so far. Joe single handedly changed the game and for that reason he is a Hall Of Fame QB!

• Upvote 2

I actually thought that Stabler was pretty cool too.  In those days, the players did not have people in charge of polishing up their images.  You pretty much saw who they really were.  
One thing about Stabler that has stayed with me: He would often stand in the pocket for ages with the ball down at his hip. His left tackle was Art Shell and his left guard was Gene Upshaw.  I don’t think there has ever been a left side of the offensive line that could equal them. 

• Upvote 2