Brett Favre is a scumbag, Prophet was right

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, you aren't seriously comparing Pennington th Favre, are you? Pennington was a great Jet QB and I loved the guy but his injuries did him in and not even the most ardent Fin fan would say Penny carried that team.

In 2008, the year the Jets foolishly permitted Favre to use the Jets as a stepping stone to get to Minnesota for his revenge vs the Packers (after years of ridiculous "I retire, I don't retire, I retire" drama), the Jets cut Pennington.  In that same season, Pennington outplayed Favre and led an inferior Miami team to the division title.  In the final game of the season - a win and in game if I recall - Pennington completely outplayed Favre (who played without emotion - I think his pregame speech was something like "whatever happens").  Even if Pennington was nearing the end, he had the guts and character to put together a playoff caliber season while Favre crapped the bed.  I despised the Favre acquisition when it happened (it was so obvious that he was using the Jets) and despise it even more now in retrospect.  Pennington is a class act. Favre is a POS and taking Covid money, either intentionally or mistakenly, only confirms that  (or that he is as smart as a rock).

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

In 2008, the year the Jets foolishly permitted Favre to use the Jets as a stepping stone to get to Minnesota for his revenge vs the Packers (after years of ridiculous "I retire, I don't retire, I retire" drama), the Jets cut Pennington.  In that same season, Pennington outplayed Favre and led an inferior Miami team to the division title.  In the final game of the season - a win and in game if I recall - Pennington completely outplayed Favre (who played without emotion - I think his pregame speech was something like "whatever happens").  Even if Pennington was nearing the end, he had the guts and character to put together a playoff caliber season while Favre crapped the bed.  I despised the Favre acquisition when it happened (it was so obvious that he was using the Jets) and despise it even more now in retrospect.  Pennington is a class act. Favre is a POS and taking Covid money, either intentionally or mistakenly, only confirms that  (or that he is as smart as a rock).

And I repeat, Penny was a horrible QB his last 2 years with the Jets. Great Pro, Great Teammate, Class Act but couldn't  throw a 15 yard out to save his life. 

• Post of the Week 2

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Again, where did I say anything positive of what Brett Farve was for the Jets, but facts are facts. Brett Farve is a Hall of Fame QB. The only way Penny gets in the Hall of Fame is if he buys a ticket. 

Don't care if he's in the Hall of Fame either.  3rd place is 3rd place. 

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Again, where did I say anything positive of what Brett Farve was for the Jets, but facts are facts. Brett Farve is a Hall of Fame QB.

So if you're not saying anything positive, why does his HoF resume for other teams matter in any way to us?

He was worth a shot, and failed horribly.  And he moved on to where he wanted to go.  His legacy here is nil.

25 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How did Penny and the Fins do in their home playoff game? I don't remember. I remember his first home playoff game, I was there and he was awesome.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So if you're not saying anything positive, why does his HoF resume for other teams matter in any way to us?

He was worth a shot, and failed horribly.  And he moved on to where he wanted to go.  His legacy here is nil.

Because someone said it was a horrible thing we did to Pennington by getting rid of him for Farve. Pennington was painful to watch his last two seasons as a Jets QB. He had nothing left. Credit to Miami for covering up his weak as ? arm. Now an argument surfaced that Penny was better than Farve. Penny couldn't  carry Farve jock at the end of his career as a Jet. I know that is harsh but it is the truth. What I remember  most about Pennington his last two seasons was DB baiting him to throw an out so they can step in front of it and pick it off. It happened almost every game. Yes, Penny did a lot of good for us as well. I was at the playoff game against Indy and it is something I won't  forget but when the Jets moved on to Farve, it was the right thing to do. Penny was finished at that point. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Fine, enjoy arguing with yourself since you are the only person talking about Farve as a Jets QB

I don't see any argument.  This is a Jets site and a thread about Favre.  For some reason people keep bringing up Pennington who won the division the only year that Favre is relevant to the Jets.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't see any argument.  This is a Jets site and a thread about Favre.  For some reason people keep bringing up Pennington who won the division the only year that Favre is relevant to the Jets.

And that doesn't  change the fact that Pennington sucked at the end of his tenure with the Jets 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Because someone said it was a horrible thing we did to Pennington by getting rid of him for Farve. Pennington was painful to watch his last two seasons as a Jets QB. He had nothing left. Credit to Miami for covering up his weak as ? arm. Now an argument surfaced that Penny was better than Farve. Penny couldn't  carry Farve jock at the end of his career as a Jet. I know that is harsh but it is the truth. What I remember  most about Pennington his last two seasons was DB baiting him to throw an out so they can step in front of it and pick it off. It happened almost every game. Yes, Penny did a lot of good for us as well. I was at the playoff game against Indy and it is something I won't  forget but when the Jets moved on to Farve, it was the right thing to do. Penny was finished at that point. 

This is literally all true, but Pennington still had a better season in 2008.  It is kind of silly to bash Pennington for getting smacked around in the playoffs when we finished 3rd and out of the postseason.  I'm certainly not complaining that we got rid of Pennington or tried to make a go with Favre.  That doesn't change the fact that Favre's time in New York was totally unsuccessful and an embarrassment.

38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Seems an odd hill for you to take a stand on, but sure.  Have fun.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Doing something by mistake makes you a piece of sh*t? Pardon me MR. Perfect. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is literally all true, but Pennington still had a better season in 2008.  It is kind of silly to bash Pennington for getting smacked around in the playoffs when we finished 3rd and out of the postseason.  I'm certainly not complaining that we got rid of Pennington or tried to make a go with Favre.  That doesn't change the fact that Favre's time in New York was totally unsuccessful and an embarrassment.

I'm not defending Farve. What he did was very selfish and I blame the Jets for being a pawn, but the guy was injured. Our backup must have been frighteningly bad for us to play him that way. I doubt Mangini cared anyway. He knew he was done after the season

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why, afraid it'll turn ya gay?

?

It just seems weird to me, always has. ?‍♂️
I guess if you’re at the stadium or ball park it’s okay, but it’s not my thing.

It’s cool if it’s a kid, and when a woman wears one it can be a sexy look, but on a grown man? Not my thing, what can I say? I’ve always felt the same way, even when it was my own stuff.
In high school my GF wore my letter jacket way more than I did. Then in college we got a ton of team gear. Sweats, tees, hats, jackets etc. I was one of the few guys who only wore them when training. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

?

It just seems weird to me, always has. ?‍♂️
I guess if you’re at the stadium or ball park it’s okay, but it’s not my thing.

It’s cool if it’s a kid, and when a woman wears one it can be a sexy look, but on a grown man? Not my thing, what can I say? I’ve always felt the same way, even when it was my own stuff.
In high school my GF wore my letter jacket way more than I did. Then in college we got a ton of team gear. Sweats, tees, hats, jackets etc. I was one of the few guys who only wore them when training. 

It's funny, the things we all think about or don't. 

I can say, honestly, that the idea of wearing a team Jerseys never crossed my mind.  I wore my own as a player till I wasn't, then wore others as a fan, and it never dawned on me that some folks would think it odd till I got to JI back in the day (and JN now).  I've always been proud to rock a Mangold or a Toon, they were my hero (toon) or my favorite player (Mangold), and they seemed like good dudes to boot. 

I'd love to better understand the "other man's name" thing, like what is it about "another mans name" that makes is so objectionable.  I have another man's name on my guitars (Gibson, PRS, Fender, Dunable), on my cars (Ford, Toyota), and on alot of my day to day work clothes (suits and casual).  I never gave any of them a second thought, did you?  Or is it just sports gear where the man's name thing bugs you?  Honestly curious, because it's a view I've heard here a few times and never understood. 

The best explanation I've heard from others is the "that's for kids" argument, which, while grumpy old man as hell, at least makes some level of logical sense.  

12 hours ago, Gramsci said:

People have the right to make a moral judgement. 

People who make moral judgements based solely on accusations and an absence of proof are called idiots.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

People who make moral judgements based solely on accusations and an absence of proof are called idiots.

People can make moral judgements regardless of proofs that would be accepted in court. Ethics are not the law and vice-versa.

3 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

People can make moral judgements regardless of proofs that would be accepted in court. Ethics are not the law and vice-versa.

Yes, and passing any type of judgement in the absence of evidence is what makes one an idiot.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, and passing any type of judgement in the absence of evidence is what makes one an idiot.

Do you need for someone to be convicted in court to have an opinion over their character? The messages that were leaked last year and his connections are more than enough for me to form an opinion. 

If he gets convicted or not is irrelevant for that.

3 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Do you need for someone to be convicted in court to have an opinion over their character? The messages that were leaked last year and his connections are more than enough for me to form an opinion. 

If he gets convicted or not is irrelevant for that.

No.  That's why I didn't say that.  I need proof or evidence of some wrongdoing before I talk about what a terrible person somebody is.  

And believe it or not, there are also some examples of the media being less than reliable when feeding the masses.

13 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

His second to last season with the Jets he was the NFL comeback player of the year.  He lead a bad Jets team to the playoffs on pure guile.  

Pennington had a sub par NFL arm before he got hurt.  He clearly was impacted by injury.  He was a brilliant technician and figured out how to win even when he couldn't throw most of the NFL route tree.  I was highly critical of Pennington but I respect what he did and how he did it.  The guy was one of the best Jets QB ever.  

Favre had more arm talent than Pennington could dream of.  He mailed it in on a very talented Jets team.   A team that should have had a deep playoff drive with any leadership at the QB position.  Great player, HOF.  As a Jets fan I'll take Pennington all day long over Favre.   Favre crapped all over the Jets.  Pennington went to war for the Jets.  

FYI MIami didn't cover up for his weak arm.  Pennington knew what he could do and figured out how to win despite his weak arm. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

His second to last season with the Jets he was the NFL comeback player of the year.  He lead a bad Jets team to the playoffs on pure guile.  

Pennington had a sub par NFL arm before he got hurt.  He clearly was impacted by injury.  He was a brilliant technician and figured out how to win even when he couldn't throw most of the NFL route tree.  I was highly critical of Pennington but I respect what he did and how he did it.  The guy was one of the best Jets QB ever.  

Favre had more arm talent than Pennington could dream of.  He mailed it in on a very talented Jets team.   A team that should have had a deep playoff drive with any leadership at the QB position.  Great player, HOF.  As a Jets fan I'll take Pennington all day long over Favre.   Favre crapped all over the Jets.  Pennington went to war for the Jets.  

FYI MIami didn't cover up for his weak arm.  Pennington knew what he could do and figured out how to win despite his weak arm. 

There is no question that the Farve acquisition was a disaster.  He was here only to use is as a stepping stone. As far as Penny, I don't  really disagree with anything you said. He was a leader for the Jets but what I most remember about him was all the picks we saw along the sideline. He just couldn't make that throw, yet he tried to time and time again and these were obvious that the DB were baiting him by letting the WR get a step because they knew they could make it up since the pass had no zip. That to me was reason enough to move on and that was happening for a few season. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

There is no question that the Farve acquisition was a disaster.  He was here only to use is as a stepping stone. As far as Penny, I don't  really disagree with anything you said. He was a leader for the Jets but what I most remember about him was all the picks we saw along the sideline. He just couldn't make that throw, yet he tried to time and time again and these were obvious that the DB were baiting him by letting the WR get a step because they knew they could make it up since the pass had no zip. That to me was reason enough to move on and that was happening for a few season. 

He’s second to last year he had 9 ints.   That team had a bad roster.  They made the playoffs.  

i get in the moment when Pennington was our QBs wanting to upgrade.  Now that we’re looking in the rear view mirror at least appreciate how much worse it’s been since.  He was remarkable good despite having a rag arm and 2 surgeries.  

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He’s second to last year he had 9 ints.   That team had a bad roster.  They made the playoffs.  

i get in the moment when Pennington was our QBs wanting to upgrade.  Now that we’re looking in the rear view mirror at least appreciate how much worse it’s been since.  He was remarkable good despite having a rag arm and 2 surgeries.  

I think I have made enough comments to show I did like him, but that doesn't  change  my position that moving on to Favre was the right thing for the team. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yup. Our QB's since have really shown him up. 

Our QB's sucking post-Pennington does not mean Pennington did not also suck.  Difference is the Jets paid Pennington a lot of money in the process of sucking, whereas at least guys like Geno Smith and Sam Darnold were relatively cheap.  

You love Chad Pennington and Rex Ryan.  Raise your standards for guys that are worthy of your praise, because those 2 aren't it.

• Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Our QB's sucking post-Pennington does not mean Pennington did not also suck.  Difference is the Jets paid Pennington a lot of money in the process of sucking, whereas at least guys like Geno Smith and Sam Darnold were relatively cheap.  

You love Chad Pennington and Rex Ryan.  Raise your standards for guys that are worthy of your praise, because those 2 aren't it.

Pennington was a good QB. To say he sucked is laughable - We have seen what sucky QB's look like. Hilarious to think he used to get sh*t because he apparently couldn't win a SB when the Jets currently can't find a QB who can win 8 f*cking games. 

Imagine sh*tting on the two guys who were involved in 100% of our playoff wins since 1998. Take those days away and there's nothing but dust. God damn Jets fans. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Pennington was a good QB. To say he sucked is laughable - We have seen what sucky QB's look like. Hilarious to think he used to get sh*t because he apparently couldn't win a SB when the Jets currently can't find a QB who can win 8 f*cking games. 

Imagine sh*tting on the two guys who were involved in 100% of our playoff wins since 1998. Take those days away and there's nothing but dust. God damn Jets fans. 

Since the Jets haven't been to a Super Bowl in over 50 years, excuse me for not finding much of anything worth celebrating about a few rare not completely sucky years that ultimately led to nothing.  F**k this franchise's entire history, including Chad Pennington and Rex Ryan.  Those 2 saved some of their worst performances for when it mattered most and got paid a lot of money to do it, so they can f**k off too.