Rookie buying dinner is bull sh*t

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

that snot what I said, its dumb to waste money and those  with it generally don't, unless they are dumb or ignorant. This is not an opinion, you cant just make up your own version. And just covering the tab because you may want to for whatever reason, it is these kids being expected to blow big cast on some hazing dinner. It is not smart. 

Snot what?

That was exactly what you said.  Now double down and call people dumb because in you small POV they’re wasting money.  Two times in the same sentence and then call them ignorant for bonus pts 

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Snot what?

That was exactly what you said.  Now double down and call people dumb because in you small POV they’re wasting money.  Two times in the same sentence and then call them ignorant for bonus pts 

Some waiter/waitress walked away with a 10k tip. Doesn’t feel like a waste to them!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It is. Rich people are the most tight with money. The ones who arnt are not rich for long ...bad decisions etc..

It's really not.  This is a caricature of wealthy people that people without money hold.  While there are certainly some wealthy people who are 'tight with money,' it's not actually true as a rule.  And it's certainly not true that they think 1K is a lot of money when they have close to 10K mortgages.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Some waiter/waitress walked away with a 10k tip. Doesn’t feel like a waste to them!

Famous people and especially athletes are notoriously sh*tty tippers. Source: 15 years of doing this sh*t. Although Jimmie Johnson left my buddy an $800 tip on an $800 tab, so that was cool. 

Jeremy Shockey was right about this stuff. It's hazing and it's corney.

'Hey, take us out to a $50k dinner.'

'Hey, how about I break your f$-#@+g jaw?'

Same thing, really. 

You want to make them carry bags or something. OK...I guess. Volunteering other people's money? Nah, it's some real cornball sh*t. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Famous people and especially athletes are notoriously sh*tty tippers. Source: 15 years of doing this sh*t. Although Jimmie Johnson left my buddy an $800 tip on an $800 tab, so that was cool. 

Sounds like you have some crazy stories! I wonder if the social media age has changed the tipping habits of famous people to avoid getting instant-callouts with photos of the tip. Has it?

59 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sounds like you have some crazy stories! I wonder if the social media age has changed the tipping habits of famous people to avoid getting instant-callouts with photos of the tip. Has it?

Nothing too crazy. Nowadays athletes will be athletes and still go to bars but mostly clubs and show off money and yet tip like sh*t. Down here if you started at an SEC school you're a God of some sort. Julio Jones isn't the best, just saying.

As far as social media, the 'older', more established people going out have someone call ahead and set something up. The younger athletes get announced all the time. Clubs suck. I live in Gulf Shores, Alabama now and Morgan Freeman is a famous resident and is seen here and there. Had him a few times at a fine dining spot I worked at. Again, the call ahead from an assistant or something. We always told them he can have the private dining room unless we're packed and need it for overflow. He usually was in a group of 8-10. Never an issue and he's a 20% tipper. Major flirt with the lady servers. And I might be the only who thought it was funny his credit card has his name on it. In my head it was going to be Shawshank Penguin, LLC or something. Dumb, I know.  

Aziz Ansari was nice as a bar patron. As was Moby. Apparently Moby likes NFL football. 

My sh*tbird manager in Brooklyn definitely scared off Elijah Wood by trying to offer his table free sh*t instead of just letting him be a normal dude for a summer Saturday afternoon at an Irish pub. Have seen that here too. 'Hey look!  It's so and so!' Fantastic, leave them the hell alone so they come back. 

Brett Favre hangs out down here a lot. I know, I know. But at restaurants he's very cool especially with the kids. 

Met Anne Burrell through work. Was disappointed as I thought she'd be nicer. Oh well. 

Second hand, but my buddy worked at Dave and Busters in Philadelphia. Allen Iverson was very nice but would get hammered and fall asleep wherever. My buddy, who is certainly bigger than Iverson, had to bring him to a room off the main room to sleep one off multiple times.

Now my other buddy who had Jimmie Johnson, he worked at Nobu. It was either the person was awesome or a total ass hat. 

ETA: Reality stars, total garbage. Remember Lydia on Breaking Bad who kept asking for stevia at a local diner? Yeah, that level of idiot. I don't even watch that crap but was always told about who it was by coworkers. Every time: sh*tty tippers. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It is. Rich people are the most tight with money. The ones who arnt are not rich for long ...bad decisions etc..

As a middle-class person with a handful of insanely rich friends this is simply not true. Especially for TV people that get residual checks. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ZachEY said:

It's really not.  This is a caricature of wealthy people that people without money hold.  While there are certainly some wealthy people who are 'tight with money,' it's not actually true as a rule.  And it's certainly not true that they think 1K is a lot of money when they have close to 10K mortgages.

No no. Rich people don't spend money at all. That's why the market demographic for McLaren is middle school history teachers.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No no. Rich people don't spend money at all. That's why the market demographic for McLaren is middle school history teachers.

Indeed.  This opinion that $1,000 is a lot of money and rich people don't spend is largely from FinTwit personalities who've amassed a million dollar net worth over a decade by living off the grid, eating ramen, and recycling their bodily fluids.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Agree or not, 1k is alot of money. And 75k is a lot for dinner and f'd up to make some rookies pay

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Indeed.  This opinion that $1,000 is a lot of money and rich people don't spend is largely from FinTwit personalities who've amassed a million dollar net worth over a decade by living off the grid, eating ramen, and recycling their bodily fluids.

Recycling fluids you say? Money in this you say? 

11 hours ago, ZachEY said:

As someone who raised 5 kids you get to the point that nothing is a lot of money because ain’t like you get to keep it anyways. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Anything that motivates these rookies to get a second contract is great.   We want hese guys to need to reload their bank accounts after 3 or 4 years to pay the mortgage.   Nothing like needing a pay check to keep you working.  

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Agree or not, 1k is alot of money. And 75k is a lot for dinner and f'd up to make some rookies pay

It's a lot of money to most people.  It's not a lot to many people.

That said, I do agree with you that the 75K dinner is ****ed up.  The NFL actively (and correctly) puts programs in place teaching these guys how to save and the importance of investing.  This is the exact opposite of that.  All hazing is bullsh*t.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

As someone who raised 5 kids you get to the point that nothing is a lot of money because ain’t like you get to keep it anyways. 

Yeah, this.  Just two kids, but between a home reno project, summer camps, and upcoming vacations, it's all just, "well, throw it on the pile" at the moment.  And "the moment" is lasting a lot longer than I'd expected.  I'd dance a jig if any bill came back at only $1000.

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 5:21 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I have always thought about this as a good gesture, I mean rookies have to cover the meal no big deal but this is ridiculous. Over 50k its just such a waste. I don't think they should be expected to pay for the meal when it is so expensive. It's actually a really sh*tty move by the vets. I wasn't always against it but my god it's ridiculous. I don't know think they should take the team out to McDonald's but damn better go to red lobster or some chain place. 

If I was a rookie, no way I want to do that bull sh*t.

It's called hazing

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Yeah, this.  Just two kids, but between a home reno project, summer camps, and upcoming vacations, it's all just, "well, throw it on the pile" at the moment.  And "the moment" is lasting a lot longer than I'd expected.  I'd dance a jig if any bill came back at only $1000.

Yeah, we talked about this. We bought my house in 2002 as a renovation project, but her 4 months pregnant, a 2 year old, 4 year old, 6 year old , 10 year old at the time they just finished  last Tuesday. My cousin and My favorite discussion topic is, “ if someone told me I’d be making this much money and still be living hand to mouth, I would have slammed my dick in a car door at 18!” Haha 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

if someone told me I’d be making this much money and still be living hand to mouth, I would have slammed my dick in a car door at 18!” Haha 

This rings true.  The average household income in NY is like 105, and NJ 115, and I imagine with kids, it's extremely difficult to live at either of those numbers.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

This rings true.  The average household income in NY is like 105, and NJ 115, and I imagine with kids, it's extremely difficult to live at either of those numbers.

Fairfax county is in that range and if you could survive on that  with a family somewhat comfortably I would be beyond impressed. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Nothing too crazy. Nowadays athletes will be athletes and still go to bars but mostly clubs and show off money and yet tip like sh*t. Down here if you started at an SEC school you're a God of some sort. Julio Jones isn't the best, just saying.

As far as social media, the 'older', more established people going out have someone call ahead and set something up. The younger athletes get announced all the time. Clubs suck. I live in Gulf Shores, Alabama now and Morgan Freeman is a famous resident and is seen here and there. Had him a few times at a fine dining spot I worked at. Again, the call ahead from an assistant or something. We always told them he can have the private dining room unless we're packed and need it for overflow. He usually was in a group of 8-10. Never an issue and he's a 20% tipper. Major flirt with the lady servers. And I might be the only who thought it was funny his credit card has his name on it. In my head it was going to be Shawshank Penguin, LLC or something. Dumb, I know.  

Aziz Ansari was nice as a bar patron. As was Moby. Apparently Moby likes NFL football. 

My sh*tbird manager in Brooklyn definitely scared off Elijah Wood by trying to offer his table free sh*t instead of just letting him be a normal dude for a summer Saturday afternoon at an Irish pub. Have seen that here too. 'Hey look!  It's so and so!' Fantastic, leave them the hell alone so they come back. 

Brett Favre hangs out down here a lot. I know, I know. But at restaurants he's very cool especially with the kids. 

Met Anne Burrell through work. Was disappointed as I thought she'd be nicer. Oh well. 

Second hand, but my buddy worked at Dave and Busters in Philadelphia. Allen Iverson was very nice but would get hammered and fall asleep wherever. My buddy, who is certainly bigger than Iverson, had to bring him to a room off the main room to sleep one off multiple times.

Now my other buddy who had Jimmie Johnson, he worked at Nobu. It was either the person was awesome or a total ass hat. 

ETA: Reality stars, total garbage. Remember Lydia on Breaking Bad who kept asking for stevia at a local diner? Yeah, that level of idiot. I don't even watch that crap but was always told about who it was by coworkers. Every time: sh*tty tippers. 

Damn that’s crazy. My only brush with fame is that one time Danny Bonaduce ripped a fart at the urinal next to me in the Philly airport.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean yeah that’s just dickhead move. 

At a client dinner once guy at the table at Shulas ordered a steak that fed like 8 people once. Didn’t even take it home.

I'm usually not a 'think about the cause du jour' type, but yeah, I hate seeing wasted food. At home we make say, a pork loin, and I'm making tacos out of the leftovers for another day or two. That said, I want to kick my own ass when we forget to eat something in the fridge in time simply because it's usually that I didn't 'feel like' a spinach salad or whatever that night. Sh*t turns to goo and not only did I waste money but it could have gone to a better cause/person/etc.. And with meat, I'm down. I'm a true carnivore. Eat meat with every single meal. But wasting high quality meat like that? Not to mention the damn cow is dead and no more and no person in this world benefited from it's existence. At least not that part. I sound like a meat eating hippie, but whatever. It drives me nuts. And in restaurants, holy sh*t do people not eat their food. No complaints, no whatever, just so much wasted food not eaten.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Who cares how people spend their own money? 

I just bought myself a new $250 golf bag. My old one was fine, but I've worked my ass off to get promoted recently and decided to treat myself. 

I’d say this is a tad different than running up a tab.

1 hour ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Who cares how people spend their own money? 

I just bought myself a new $250 golf bag. My old one was fine, but I've worked my ass off to get promoted recently and decided to treat myself. 

Now buy me, and everyone else here a golf bag too because we said so. One of us! One of us!

• Upvote 1