Rookie buying dinner is bull sh*t

On 6/18/2022 at 4:12 AM, Warfish said:

1st Round Draft Picks make tend of millions.  They can afford $50K without a worry, once, as a rookie.

UDFA's may may league minimum, which is still nice scratch to you and I, but they're not (and should not) be dropping $50K on a rookie dinner.

I think this ritual is really just for the very top draft picks, and frankly, they can afford it.  

And no, thats not why they'd go broke years later, lol.

Well poor choices with money like this is exactly why they go broke. The idea that oh they can afford it is a lazy idea.

50k on some dinner is ridiculous and like any kid that don't know nothing, whether you have a big pile of money or small, it is stupid mistake and waste.

Just cause someone has money ? , you shouldn't be ok with them getting screwed

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2022 at 4:17 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

50k for a guy making 6 million a year is equivalent to a regular working American making 60k a year dropping 500 bucks for a dinner.  Can they afford to?  Most likely.  Is it a inconsequential amount as some are suggesting?  No.  

That said, I would imagine things all balance out in the end, or close too it.

Reasonable..as always.

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s a good will, bonding exercise as well as a long time tradition.  Along the lines of units meeting for weekly dinners, QBs buying OL Rolex’s etc

You guys are missing the point of the exercise 

I think your missing the cost of the exercise and stuff like this is just plain terrible for the players. Both the ones eating free and paying. Just terrible really 

22 hours ago, Jethead said:

$50,000 for a Jersey #. $60,000 for a 30-second introduction of a speaker. Why is this worse?

Wait wut?  Ok, I'll try to do this with as little political slant as possible. 

So in one case, a guy earns his own money and decides that spending 50K of his own money for a jersey is a good idea.

In the other case, a guy bombards his supporters with requests for donations to help fight a cause, people (many of who are living pay check to pay check) donate to fight for that cause, and then that guy takes 60K of those donations and gives it to his son's wife for a 30 second speech.

I think it's pretty easy to figure out which one is worse.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Pac said:

Anyone who doesn't understand what treasures await at The Red Lobster has a pallet that is grossly unrefined.

Let them enjoy their Double Whoppers and McRib sandwiches.  Heathens.

Haha I ate at red lobster a couple years a back for all you can eat shrimp. It was about forever between plates and each came with 4 or 5 baby shrimp. It was terrible. Do people really actually like red lobster. 

On 6/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, Jethead said:

$50,000 for a Jersey #. $60,000 for a 30-second introduction of a speaker. Why is this worse?

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Wait wut?  Ok, I'll try to do this with as little political slant as possible. 

So in one case, a guy earns his own money and decides that spending 50K of his own money for a jersey is a good idea.

In the other case, a guy bombards his supporters with requests for donations to help fight a cause, people (many of who are living pay check to pay check) donate to fight for that cause, and then that guy takes 60K of those donations and gives it to his son's wife for a 30 second speech.

I think it's pretty easy to figure out which one is worse.

Guys, lets keep the political references and discussion out of the thread and off of the site. 

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Supersonic said:

If they want to prank rookies, why not take them to dinner at a local Soup Kitchen and tip them $75K when they leave?  Both a humbling experience and a good deed.

It's the very rare post that is truly worthy of being read twice.

THIS is such a post.  So I'm quoting it.

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Do people really actually like....

If this is the question, the answer is inevitably "yes".

I have no doubt in my mind that you too enjoy some things others might be happy to mock.

The same goes for us all.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think your missing the cost of the exercise and stuff like this is just plain terrible for the players. Both the ones eating free and paying. Just terrible really 

Dude it’s a right of passage and a bonding exercise to build comradery.  What are you carrying on about.  The ones eating had their day where they paid, now this years #1s will pay whatever it is.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It is even to those with money. Well maybe more accurately anyone that has had to work for said money. You're either dumb or ignorant if you waste money like that.

And once again,  I it’s not.  
Stop telling people who can afford the tab it makes them dumb.  They live in a world you just can’t grasp

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

I don’t really care. They’re all richer than me and even the practice squad dudes get to live a life style that will be more memorable than my first job resetting soda shelves in supermarkets all day. 

This. It’s like the Posters that complain about some guys 70 million dollar tax cut in NJ lol Like wtf why do you care 

This man really said “…go to Red Lobster…”; I don’t even know how I missed that.

My guy, I’m not even loaded but you would sooner find me eating out of the dumpster of a Long John Silver’s with my homies before I ever took them out to Red Lobster.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes, nothing will get people that haze you off your back like offering to treat them to a Red Lobster dinner. 

Got to admit, nothing say you care more than Ultimate Endless Shrimp Monday

image.jpeg.70b94947f1e837aeb1887a3fecf17914.jpeg

or Steak & Lobster Wednesday

image.jpeg.eddcd480ebdabc9a6406f8d31d528a6d.jpeg

On 6/18/2022 at 7:03 AM, CSNY said:

If a rookie can purchase his preferred number from a veteran for $50,000.00 he can afford to pay for dinner. 

As a poster stated it’s all relative. 

Whether he can afford it or not, to me it is a wasteful spending of money.  If he has 20M in the bank, then he's giving up 1/4 of 1 percent of his wealth on a number.  Too much money in my view.

Now, if he was Shaq O'Neil, then 50K is a drop in the bucket.  Sauce isn't Shaq, and he doesn't have that kind of money.

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And once again,  I it’s not.  
Stop telling people who can afford the tab it makes them dumb.  They live in a world you just can’t grasp

that ' not what I said, its dumb to waste money and those  with it generally don't, unless they are dumb or ignorant. This is not an opinion, you cant just make up your own version. And just covering the tab because you may want to for whatever reason, it is these kids being expected to blow big cast on some hazing dinner. It is not smart. 

Also the red lobster all you can eat shrimp does not look like the image you posted.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yes typos really cover it.

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It is. Rich people are the most tight with money. The ones who arnt are not rich for long ...bad decisions etc..

Arnt