Jump to content

Mike White gives Jets something most teams don’t have after Zach Wilson injury


TuscanyTile2
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Yes, Michael Carter and Ty Johnson did a wonderful job taking those constant 3-5 yard dump offs from White and turning them upfield for big gains.

If it's so easy explain why no other QB has been able to do that.  

Also explain why it's so easy to dismiss that game because of how poorly he played against Buffalo?  People have been talking up Wilson's Bucs game performance all offseason while dismissing his bad games, so you really don't get to do the same for White.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I’m not absolving Mike White of all credit.

He took what the defense gave him and now has his jersey sitting in the HOF because of it.

Props to him

Problem is, that’s literally the only game that Mike White is capable of playing.

Stack the box and take away those short checkdowns and bubble screens, as the Bills did, and he’s going to completely fold and sh*t his britches.

This is why I see no future for him as a starter. It’s very possible that Wilson is sh*t as well and our franchise savior is nowhere to be found on the roster at the moment.

Chad made a career out of this.  Mac Jones was ranked the 84th best player in the NFL

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I would much rather see what Strevelar has than White.  He looked great in a half of football - and is coming off a championship professional football season.

Mike White has been in the league 5 years - multiple teams, multiple coaching staffs - countless practices and hasn't been able to pass #3 on the depth chart.  

I would prefer Brett Ratliff to either 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I get where you’re coming from, but I’m still on the opposite end.

While Zach is out, I don’t want to watch constant bubble screens and dump offs to Hall and Carter.

At least Flacco still has the arm and the will to push the ball downfield. I also don’t get why so many act like he’s completely washed. In spot duty during his time with the Jets, he’s thrown for 1200 yards, 9 TD’s, 3 INT’s and completed 66% of his passes.

He’s the quintessential veteran backup yet much of the fanbase hates the guys guts for some reason. 

I definitely hear you.  
 

But I don’t think we hate Flacco’s guts. I think we hate the idea of “wasting” another season watching a veteran stopgap who we know has no future with the team. I think what bothers me most about this thought is the idea that the absolute best case scenario is another 2015 Fitz year - a flash in the pan good season that isn’t sustainable and ultimately doesn’t lead to anything.
 

After all this suffering, I want to find a good young QB that can allow us to become a perennial contender (i.e. go from a “bad” organization to a “good” organization) and everything this organization does, IMO, should be geared towards finding and developing a good young QB. If Wilson is out, I want to invest in the .1% chance that Mike White is the longterm answer. Because while 0.1% (or whatever number you think it really is) is quite small, it’s still bigger than the 0% chance that Flacco has of being here five years from now. 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's good he has confidence in himself.  and it's good to see that he's capable if there's a team around him.  but if his performances after the cincy game are a clue then he's not going to start ahead of flacco.  it also looked like he wasn't very injured when he pulled himself out of a game last season.  maybe toughness is an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Did anyone even read the Mike White article? It said Jets are lucky in that their 3rd string QB is not some totally unknown depth chart arm, like the 31 other teams.

Jets are the ONLY nfl team with a 3rd string QB who threw for over 400 yards in a single game. 95% of 3rd string QBs have never taken a single NFL snap and are total unknowns to the coaching staff. In that regard, Jets are lucky. That was it.

Edit: The article also hints that most teams who find themselves in possible need to play their 3rd QB will usually panic and quick-hire some vet QB who's been on the couch eating pizza for the previous 6 months and knows nothing about their offense! Jets don't have that problem, thanks to MW. Advantage: Jets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Better a flash in the pan than eating straight sh*t every day.  

It’s funny those who defend one QB (violently so) based on double digit bad games destroy another based on a sample size of 2, one of which is among the best games ever played by a Jets QB.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s funny those who defend one QB (violently so) based on double digit bad games destroy another based on a sample size of 2, one of which is among the best games ever played by a Jets QB.

You must have loved Glen Foley and Browning Nagle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

You must have loved Glen Foley and Browning Nagle.

No but what really is the difference between the likes of Glenn Foley/Browning Nagle and Geno Smith/Sam Darnold?  With the latter the franchise just ended up devoting way too many years hoping they'd be "the guy".  At least the former 2 "failed quickly".

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

You must have loved Glen Foley and Browning Nagle.

No but I wanted them to play a couple more games. Which they did, and sucked, and into the trash quickly.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

BULLsh*t

We are hammering Mike White because of what happened against the Bills?  How did Wilson do?  Seems disingenuous to complain about being a safety first checkdown wuss.  Wilson gunslung his way to 87 ******* yards.  The Bills were the #1 D.  White looked bad.  He also threw for 251 yards.  Wilson threw for more yards twice in his career.  Against Carolina he went for a whopping 258 and 297 with the OT against the Titans.  You want the list of guys that threw for more yards against the 2021 Bills?  Mahomes and Brady.  That's it.  

And that is with White being benched for the final 8+ minutes.

Bills defense against the pass:

First in DVOA

First in yards allowed

First in YPA allowed

First in completion % against

First in first down percentage against

First in TDs allowed

Third in INTs

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bills defense against the pass:

First in DVOA

First in yards allowed

First in YPA allowed

First in completion % against

First in first down percentage against

First in TDs allowed

Third in INTs

 

‘Member when they hid the golden boy against Miami’s 25th ranked defense?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, T0mShane said:

Saleh is spineless. Hides Zach, buries Mike White, lets Flacco go out there and throw 62% completions for 291 yards and two TDs, then benches him. Zach goes out the next week and throws for 145, a pick, and gets sacked four times against the mighty Texans.

The sunken cost is strong with this one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

They’re gonna ship him off to the countryside for his extended rehab.

There’s like a 99% chance he just sucks. But we are in it now, so put him in against all comers this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

There’s like a 99% chance he just sucks. But we are in it now, so put him in against all comers this year.

Do you bring him back week three against the Bengals (where the story of the week will be The Mike White Game) or do you push it another week and make him start I’m Pittsburgh against TJ Watt in Kenny Pickett’s first start?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

There’s like a 99% chance he just sucks. But we are in it now, so put him in against all comers this year.

Are you old enough to have seen Elway’s first two seasons? His rookie season was as bad, if not worse, than Zach’s. Bronco fans were wishing he played baseball. He struggled but worked through it. Zach can do the same.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Do you bring him back week three against the Bengals (where the story of the week will be The Mike White Game) or do you push it another week and make him start I’m Pittsburgh against TJ Watt in Kenny Pickett’s first start?

First, I don’t countenance the sly Trubisky shade.

Second, I honestly don’t know. I would play the guy who’s winning. But it has been conclusively established that I’m smarter then the Jets.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, section314 said:

Are you old enough to have seen Elway’s first two seasons? His rookie season was as bad, if not worse, than Zach’s. Bronco fans were wishing he played baseball. He struggled but worked through it. Zach can do the same.

Are you old enough to recognize that it was a completely different game in 1983?  I think you are.

For every Elway there are dozens and dozens of Ryan Leaf's, Sam Darnold's, Deshone Kizer's, Jimmy Clauen's, Josh Rosen's, JaMarcus Russell's, Andre Ware's, Akili Smith's, Matt Leinart's, Joey Harrington's, EJ Manuel's, Patrick Ramsey's, Brock Osweiler's, Browning Nagle's, Brandon Weeden's and Kyle Boller's.

Wilson CAN work through it, sure.  And @RutgersJetFan's argument that a QB's rookie year is largely a wash is indeed compelling.  But the odds are very, very much against Wilson becoming a success story.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is hilarious.

How many teams wanted Joe Flacco in the offseason?  I guess we ought to feel fortunate the Jets won that bidding war.

Mike White is 1-1 as a Jets starter.  Threw for 400 and 3 TDs in comeback win.  His loss was vs the Buffalo Bills.  The Indy game doesn't really count since he got knocked out early.

Joe Flacco is 0-5 as a Jets starter, averaging 170 yards passing per game.

He throws a prettier deep ball than Mike White and won a Super Bowl 10 years ago.  How does this suddenly make him Batman for this Jets squad?

Flacco is the more Adam West than Christian Bale version of Batman. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are you old enough to recognize that it was a completely different game in 1983?  I think you are.

For every Elway there are dozens and dozens of Ryan Leaf's, Sam Darnold's, Deshone Kizer's, Jimmy Clauen's, Josh Rosen's, JaMarcus Russell's, Joey Harrington's and Kyle Boller's.

Wilson CAN work through it, sure.  And @RutgersJetFan's argument that a QB's rookie year is largely a wash is indeed compelling.  But the odds are very, very much against Wilson becoming a success story.

I bought a mega millions ticket tonight. I emailed my boss to go eat a turd because, hey, it’s possible…

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think they care if there is a QB controversy.

JD will be on the hot seat in 2023 and possibly Saleh if we're not at least competive this year. I believe they're more concerned about their jobs and rather have Flacco start some games who gives us the best chance to win as well as giving time for Zach Wilson to heal before throwing him out there too soon and risk another injury. We'll have no choice but to draft another QB next season if ZW get hurt for the third time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Name the other Jets QB's in history to have a 400+ yard game.  I won't have to wait very long for that list.

Beggars can't be choosers.

I threw for 525 yards the other day on Madden. ☝️And don’t tell me that don’t count! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Every throw Bengals - about 6 min.  HkF game QBR 52.1.  
 

Can’t find every pass video Vs the Bills any more.   Here’s the 4 picks. 
 

And obviously nobody watches this stuff anyway - or there would be no more Mike White discussions, but while looking. For the Colts game I found the weirdest football YouTube video.  You can not click on it like the others here: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

BULLsh*t

We are hammering Mike White because of what happened against the Bills?  How did Wilson do?  Seems disingenuous to complain about being a safety first checkdown wuss.  Wilson gunslung his way to 87 ******* yards.  The Bills were the #1 D.  White looked bad.  He also threw for 251 yards.  Wilson threw for more yards twice in his career.  Against Carolina he went for a whopping 258 and 297 with the OT against the Titans.  You want the list of guys that threw for more yards against the 2021 Bills?  Mahomes and Brady.  That's it.  

And that is with White being benched for the final 8+ minutes.

Wilson has been in the NFL less than a full season and almost all of his WRs were out.  MW had all his WRs.  
How does Wilson struggling against the Bills change the idea that White only had one good game on his resume?

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:


Every throw Bengals - about 6 min.  HkF game QBR 52.1.  
 

Can’t find every pass video Vs the Bills any more.   Here’s the 4 picks. 
 

And obviously nobody watches this stuff anyway - or there would be no more Mike White discussions, but while looking. For the Colts game I found the weirdest football YouTube video.  You can not click on it like the others here: 

 

QBR over 13 games: 28.2

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...