Darnold now leaving on a cart due to injury

thshadow

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Id say 95% of the current jets team is good dudes.  So moving forward, anytime a thread is opened on one of these players, there will be 20 plus posts describing them as good dudes?

The question is, there are tons of jet players that have been good dudes.  Why do Jet fans have to hammer home that aspect of darnold in an almost obsessive manner?

He is no better dude then 100s of other ex jets.

Who hammered it?  It was mentioned.  He's not a good QB.  He seems like a good guy.  It's unfortunate that he got hurt.

Nobody is nominating him for humanitarian of the year. lol

I think it's okay to say you hate seeing bad things happen to good people, even if he's not particularly good at his profession.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Why shouldn’t we? I root for good people in all aspects of life. Why not sport? There’s literally no harm in being a fan of the character or intent if someone, regardless of their success.

I‘ve spent my life rooting for losing franchises. This is a normal way for me to view players, honestly. “Tries hard, good to the fans, great with charity work, mediocre player. Oh well. Least he’s not a jerk.”

+1

To answer "Why I care", I'll offer the inverse example:

No matter how good a QB Mike Vick might have been, I would never, ever, root for him.  Had he won a Super Bowl here, I would have disowned it.  I don't prefer to root for truly terrible people.  Vick, Henry Ruggs, etc.

To each their own.  This is my view.  Some thing are more important that football.

So when a player is or appears to be a "good guy", I'm good with that, even if that perception is surely imperfect.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

That was never a realistic option in my opinion. The team can't trade a second round pick for a 1 year rental who can easily walk in free agency after a potentially good season. The optics would have been terrible.

The trade was made for the compensation agreed upon under the pretense that he was being brought in for 2 years at $23m.

How are the optics now?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its bizarre.  Chad Pennington was a good dude.  Mark Sanchez was a good dude.  Yet jet fans would never describe them that way.  Any Sam Darnold thread, the over/under on "nice kid" posts is at about 20.

Mark Sanchez banged an underaged chick.  So meh on that.

Chad decidedly was NOT a good dude.  I yield my remaining time to @Bleedin Green.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Who hammered it?  It was mentioned.  He's not a good QB.  He seems like a good guy.  It's unfortunate that he got hurt.

Nobody is nominating him for humanitarian of the year. lol

Yet in every Darnold thread you see at least 12 posters stumbling in to point out how good a guy Darnold is as if he cured colorectal cancer.  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its bizarre.  Chad Pennington was a good dude.  Mark Sanchez was a good dude.  Yet jet fans would never describe them that way.  Any Sam Darnold thread, the over/under on "nice kid" posts is at about 20.

I think after defending his play so vigorously, repeating he is a good kid now provides some sort of emotional salve for the sting of being wrong. “Fine, ends up he sucks, but he was worthy of being defended so I wasn’t wrong to stick up for him.”

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Not all of us.

2. You'd better hope this current method of roster building works out over the next several years because it's pretty clear the "miscreant" or hired gun approach will not be used in the near future.  This team is going to sh*tcan it's lazy 370 lb franchise LT no matter how talented he could be if he ever stops eating cheeseburgers.

1. There is nothing that can be said that is true for all of us, or about any other large population. But we all know the vast, vast majority of Jets fans would celebrate a Jets ring regardless of whether the team is filled with nice kids or villains. Player likeability is the consolation prize for stinking. If you want to reward goodness, donate your time and money to a charity. Don’t play the purity test game with athletes.

2. I always hope it works for the Jets.

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Id say 95% of the current jets team is good dudes.  So moving forward, anytime a thread is opened on one of these players, there will be 20 plus posts describing them as good dudes?

The question is, there are tons of jet players that have been good dudes.  Why do Jet fans have to hammer home that aspect of darnold in an almost obsessive manner?

He is no better dude then 100s of other ex jets.

Because it’s the nicest thing Jets fans can say about him since he sucks. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Jets use the No. 3 pick in the draft and pick a good kid.

it's important to get someone who generally has a good head on their shoulders as well as is very good at football. the problem with darnold is that it turns out he isn't good enough at football to be a good nfl qb

I think the “Sam is a good kid” narrative is partially a product of the fact that the Jets clearly failed him and he never complained about it. The Baker’s and Rosen’s of the world likely would have had public comments about the org and its disfunction.

Sanchez, Pennington, Wilson, etc. were set up well. Darnold was set up to fail, bust or not.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How are the optics now?

Not good, but honestly not that much worse than if they had let him walk after 1 failed season. This turned into a 2 year deal for $23m as a 1 year starter and 1 year backup injury notwithstanding. For a young player who they obviously viewed as having much potential, it's not the end of the world some are painting it to be.

In any case, my original point that the plan was always to pick up his fifth year option as soon as the trade was made is true whether you agree with the decision or not.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I think after defending his play so vigorously, repeating he is a good kid now provides some sort of emotional salve for the sting of being wrong. “Fine, ends up he sucks, but he was worthy of being defended so I wasn’t wrong to stick up for him.”

Maybe (some) people are just able to avoid wishing horrible things on (seemingly) decent human beings simply for the sin of "not working out at QB with the Jets". 

There doesn't always have to be some hidden, cynical deeper meaning.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You want bizarre? The pass given to a man if he was on the Jets.

Maybe my memory is hazy, but in his mid-20s wasn’t Sanchez well known to be nailing an under-age girl prior to moving onto Eva? She was at most 17 iirc, so she was not able to give him consent even if she was easy (or, one might say, especially if she was, since half the point is to protect her from herself). If he wasn’t a celebrity he could’ve/would’ve done time for statutory rape.

Or are we to believe they just held hands watching G-rated movies he showed her when they were alone in his home behind closed doors? But he was a “good dude” because that child wasn’t your own daughter/granddaughter/sister/etc. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe (some) people are just able to avoid wishing horrible things on (seemingly) decent human beings simply for the sin of "not working out at QB with the Jets". 

There doesn't always have to be some hidden, cynical deeper meaning.

I don’t see any celebration that he got hurt. In fact even those who have thought he sucked early on (like me) have said we don’t wish injuries on anyone.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You want bizarre? The pass given to a man if he was on the Jets.

Maybe my memory is hazy, but in his mid-20s wasn’t Sanchez well known to be nailing an under-age girl prior to moving onto Eva? She was at most 17 iirc, so she was not able to give him consent even if she was easy (or, one might say, especially if she was, since half the point is to protect her from herself). If he wasn’t a celebrity he could’ve/would’ve done time for statutory rape.

Or are we to believe they just held hands watching G-rated movies he showed her when they were alone in his home behind closed doors? But he was a “good dude” because that child wasn’t your own daughter/granddaughter/sister/etc. 

andrew GIF

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

‘86 Mets are the best example of this.  They were mostly scum.  But they won.  

I grew up loving that team.  But that rape story took the shine off the lovable rascals label.  

I think we all agree there are lines that’ shouldn’t be crossed but we want winners.

The Mets story was already a cautionary tale of throwing it all away before the rape stories

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

“What are you doing here?”

“I gotta tell ya, I’ve been a journalist for 24 years but I don’t even know what to ask you first!”

Should ask @Jetsfan80 what peak Chris Hansen’s DVOA was.

Historians will be analyzing those To Catch A Predator episodes 1,000 years from now.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I grew up loving that team.  But that rape story took the shine off the lovable rascals label.  

I think we all agree there are lines that’ shouldn’t be crossed but we want winners.

The Mets story was already a cautionary tale of throwing it all away before the rape stories

I wonder how many people boycott basically every rock band in the 60s and 70s… definitely not “nice guys.”