Jets safeties - the unsung heroes of the Pittsburgh game

maury77

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Prior to yesterday's game, the Jets had arguably the worst starting safeties in the league so far. PFF ranked Joyner as the worst safety in the league and Whitehead was ranked 64th out of 74th. 

Yesterday, Joyner and Whitehead picked off 3 passes which was more than the entire Jets team had on the season. This led to shorter fields for the offense and I think it is being overlooked as an integral part of why the Jets won yesterday.

Have you been reading the forum? I don't  think anyone hasn't  mentioned this. It was all over the game thread. Unsung?

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Have you been reading the forum? I don't  think anyone hasn't  mentioned this. It was all over the game thread. Unsung?

It was hard to keep up with the game thread because I was working, but I didn't see a post dedicated to the topic. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Prior to yesterday's game, the Jets had arguably the worst starting safeties in the league so far. PFF ranked Joyner as the worst safety in the league and Whitehead was ranked 64th out of 74th. 

Yesterday, Joyner and Whitehead picked off 3 passes which was more than the entire Jets team had on the season. This led to shorter fields for the offense and I think it is being overlooked as an integral part of why the Jets won yesterday.

Good post Maury.  Completely agree with the sentiment and hope it’s the start of something positive.

Some of it for sure was bad QB play.  However, definitely some good coverage as well against a talented group of receivers and a solid tight end.

I’ve been a big believer in playing more press man to leverage our excellent trio of cover corners.  It feels like we did that more yesterday but tough to completely tell.

If we can do that more against the better QBs, it hopefully should simplify the safeties jobs to roll coverage to where it’s needed most.

I would like to see a bit more Ashtyn Davis on passing downs.  I’ve seen him flash now a couple times.  Maybe the light is starting to come on, especially with some strong corners in front of him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Joyner played fantastic yesterday 

He sure did. I've been very critical of him this year, but he was terrific yesterday. Breaking up passes, punishing receivers, tackling well, and with 2 huge INTs into the bargain.

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:19 AM, More Cowbell said:

Game thread is stupid.  Refresh read refresh read refresh read.  It's still 1998 around here.  This forum desperately needs to add a live chat instead of the dopey weekly 520 page thread.  Discord  is so much better for live discourse.

• Upvote 2

On 10/3/2022 at 9:16 AM, maury77 said:

I said it in the game thread, Joyner was balling.  By far his best game.  Whitehead has been up and down, not as bad as Joyner but again, his best game Sunday too, hopefully this was a result of the communication getting cleaned up and a sign for the future.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I said it in the game thread, Joyner was balling.  By far his best game.  Whitehead has been up and down, not as bad as Joyner but again, his best game Sunday too, hopefully this was a result of the communication getting cleaned up and a sign for the future.

That makes sense because Saleh had mentioned simplifying the scheme last week to cut down on the communication errors. It worked against Pittsburgh, lets see how it looks against one of the best WR corps in the league with Miami. 

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

Game thread is stupid.  Refresh read refresh read refresh read.  It's still 1998 around here.  This forum desperately needs to add a live chat instead of the dopey weekly 520 page thread.  Discord  is so much better for live discourse.

Google neither indexes nor rewards a website for live chat.

Plus it’s another thing to maintain & moderate.

Plus no ad revenue to pay for this place we all love.

Plus it’s better/easier for us searching past game comments.

It’s not changing anytime soon, until someone makes a cheap plug-in for auto-updating without manually refreshing, in a way that’s also equally or less taxing on servers than the manual refreshes.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

Would be fun. But eh, you get the same experience basically posting in the thread. 

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

Personally I hate live chats, especially  ones that have as many people participating  as the game thread. They scroll way faster than you can read and a lot of times you aren't  sure what people are speaking about. Tapping my screen to refresh  takes a whole second to do. Also the thread this week I believe was 99 pages which is the largest we had this season so far. Was there actually  a 520 page thread you recall? 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Google neither indexes nor rewards a website for live chat.

Plus it’s another thing to maintain & moderate.

Plus no ad revenue to pay for this place we all love.

Plus it’s better/easier for us searching past game comments.

It’s not changing anytime soon, until someone makes a cheap plug-in for auto-updating without manually refreshing, in a way that’s also equally or less taxing on servers than the manual refreshes.

All True. But antiquated and annoying. Live chat waaaay better for participants, the thread's benefit to host site notwithstanding.  Game day thread is ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Personally I hate live chats, especially  ones that have as many people participating  as the game thread. They scroll way faster than you can read and a lot of times you aren't  sure what people are speaking about. Tapping my screen to refresh  takes a whole second to do. Also the thread this week I believe was 99 pages which is the largest we had this season so far. Was there actually  a 520 page thread you recall? 

Enjoy the 1800's

53 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Would be fun. But eh, you get the same experience basically posting in the thread. 

I had it all set up for us. Its way better than the GD thread  But because it doesnt benefit the site, it wont be promoted here. I get that. And those benefits are the only reason the fossil king of all threads is still used. There just has to be a way to get a chat that benefits the site. 

Game day thread is to group communication as Joe Flacco is to quarterbacking.

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If it ain't broke

It's a very effective click generator for the site, thats for sure.  Exponentially better than any other for a 3 hour period. Thats why there is no chat.  Antiquated and amnoying that it is, I fully get why it's a big deal for the forum. But yeah, its obsolete. And annoying as heck. 

40 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It's a very effective click generator for the site, thats for sure.  Exponentially better than any other for a 3 hour period. Thats why there is no chat.  Antiquated and amnoying that it is, I fully get why it's a big deal for the forum. But yeah, its obsolete. And annoying as heck. 

I don't  agree. I think there are more negatives for chat than the message board. To each his own. Also, why would I care about clicks for this site. The site does a good job and is free. No begging for money

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

All True. But antiquated and annoying. Live chat waaaay better for participants, the thread's benefit to host site notwithstanding.  Game day thread is ridiculous.

Depends. There are plenty of instances where live chat is worse.

A good example is someone who wants to reply to a single post -- that gets lost or looks ridiculous if it's not responded to immediately. The way it is in the game thread you quote someone and it doesn't get lost, even if it's 5+ min later (which would seem nutty in an ongoing live chat).

4 hours ago, FootballLove said:

It's hard to follow the game thread and live-stream the game at the same time. 

Sometimes I just prefer to watch the game and talk about it the week after, especially after a BIG win!

Yeah it's not typically my thing. Every few games or so I will, but it's not the norm for me to follow the game thread during. Sometimes I will a couple weeks in a row; sometimes not at all for a month.

Especially the way I like to watch while rewinding plays pretty often during the game, even if it means falling behind at times (a Mrs. Sperm pet peeve). I can't do that, and fight her off, and also read & respond to endless posts all at the same time.

Plus there are also plenty of times I'm just not watching at home anyway.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  agree. I think there are more negatives for chat than the message board. To each his own. Also, why would I care about clicks for this site. The site does a good job and is free. No begging for money

Yes, indeed.  I agree that this site does a good job and never asks for anything but civility from its members.  But I still think the game day shred is a pia. 

On 10/3/2022 at 9:16 AM, maury77 said:

Hopeful that it’s a matter of “communication” issues being behind them.  

• Upvote 1