"It's Good To Be Back" | Duane Brown Media Availability

jetsons

I still kinda doubt that he’ll be out there Sunday, but if he’s good to practice at this point…he should honestly be ready to go.

This is a 14 year vet we’re talking about who has had experience in this wide zone scheme going back to his early days in Houston when Arian Foster was still one of the top backs in the league.

Guys like this shouldn’t require an extra week of practice in order to be viable.

• Upvote 1

Duane Brown could return to Jets offensive line this week

By Brian Costello

October 5, 2022 | 8:30pm

The Jets may be getting a piece of their starting offensive line back this week.

Veteran left tackle Duane Brown returned to practice on Wednesday after missing four weeks with a shoulder injury. The Jets now must decide whether to activate Brown off of injured reserve for Sunday’s game against the Dolphins or wait. Brown must be activated within three weeks.

Brown, who signed with the Jets in August and was expected to start at left tackle, sounded optimistic on Wednesday although he wants to test the shoulder in Thursday’s practice when the Jets have pads on.

“We’ll see,” Brown said. “[Wednesday] was a really good step forward in the right direction. [Thursday] we’ll get the pads on and turn up the intensity a little more. I’m feeling pretty good right now. That’s all I can say.”

Jets coach Robert Saleh would not reveal his plans for the offensive line for Sunday. If Brown can play, he will be the third different starting left tackle the Jets have had. Brown injured the shoulder in practice before Week 1, forcing George Fant to move from right to left tackle. Fant then injured his knee in Week 3 against the Bengals and was placed on IR. Alijah Vera-Tucker moved from right guard to left tackle to replace Fant in last week’s game against the Steelers.

FBA91F52-AA85-4872-B2FD-97A1726A47BF.thumb.webp.a259708c984706df7d94c1d987fdfd88.webp
Duane Brown could be returning to the Jets offensive line as soon as Sunday. Bill Kostroun

Vera-Tucker may now be asked to move to right tackle if Brown can play left tackle. The Jets liked Nate Herbig at right guard last week.

“I don’t know man,” Vera-Tucker said when asked if he could play right tackle. “Me, being as confident as I am, I would say yeah. But at the end of the day that’s up to coach.”

QB Zach Wilson was limited in practice on Wednesday with an ankle injury. Saleh downplayed the injury but Wilson was not on the field during the portion of practice open to the media. He joined the practice later. Wilson had his left ankle taped.

Saleh initially described the injury as “nicks and bruises.”

“It’s football,” Saleh said. “He’s dealing with an ankle, but he’s fine.”

RB Breece Hall (knee) and LB Marcell Harris (neck) were also limited. LB Quincy Williams (ankle) and OT Max Mitchell(knee) did not practice. DE Vinny Curry returned to practice from IR. The team had 21 days to add him to the active roster.

The Dolphins have a long list of injured players. The following players did not practice on Wednesday due to injuries:

QB Tua Tagovailoa (concussion, back, ankle), WR Jaylen Waddle (groin), CB Xavien Howard (groins), OT Terron Armstead (toe), OL Robert Jones (back), TE Cethan Carter (concussion) and DB Keion Crossen (glute/shoulder).

7 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Vera-Tucker may now be asked to move to right tackle if Brown can play left tackle. The Jets liked Nate Herbig at right guard last week.

We need to lock this guy up after his 4th year if he keeps playing this way. Let the talented players know that we want them for the long term instead of making them prove it on the 5th year option. Maybe we can sign them for more of a bargain. 

• Upvote 3

I feel a lot more confident with Brown at LT and AVT at RT and Herbig at RG that I did w/AVT at LT and McDermott at RT. Of course, we have no idea what Brown is going to look like out of retirement and coming off injury, but the lineup is much more comforting to read.

Here's to hoping we don't have to try AVT at center this season.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

The one thing he said that scares me was I think someone asked him about surgery on the shoulder and he said "It was an option, but I wanted to play." Leads me to believe his shoulder won't be 100% and could possibly becomes an issue again at any time. Hope I'm wrong.

That’s his way of saying “ If we’re competitive “ I can play with discomfort. If we lose 4 straight I’m done at the bye week!

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

just not seeing it.  Shoulder injuries hurt like a muther****er and he has to use his arms every single play.  Maybe it not that bad who knows.

If he is cleared to practice, which means he will be using his shoulder blocking Jets defenders, I assume he can tolerate the same pain on game day. 

I think the issue is whether he is in game shape. 

With all that said, I am not counting on his shoulder holding up the rest of the season. 

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

We need to lock this guy up after his 4th year if he keeps playing this way. Let the talented players know that we want them for the long term instead of making them prove it on the 5th year option. Maybe we can sign them for more of a bargain. 

Move him to RT full time in the offseason and sign this monster long term.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If he is cleared to practice, which means he will be using his shoulder blocking Jets defenders, I assume he can tolerate the same pain on game day. 

I think the issue is whether he is in game shape. 

With all that said, I am not counting on his shoulder holding up the rest of the season. 

i have had a shoulder injury and I would bet there is a big diff for him between a 45min practice and a 4q game the burn you feel in it  but yeah maybe we shall see