Geno and running qb's

I know that Geno Smith isnt a running qb, but every once in a while, he takes off and gets first downs. I remember on the Jets, he said once that his offensive coordinator told him before one of the games, that he'll have to run at least 3 times for a first down for the Jets to win. I use Geno as an example: every qb who is decent occasionally makes plays with his legs, excluding Jet qb's. Zach doesn't even do it. It's so obvious that extending possessions this way is so key,  since it's going to happen that guys aren't open, or a play breaks down. This is the kind of gravy yardage that  wins games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 8

I think it depends on if it's designed runs or scrambles as a play breaks down ... with Zach they may have discouraged this scrambling piece initially to (a) make him stay with the pass play long enough to let stuff develop and (b) keep him intact for at least his first game back.

He was credited with 2 carries for 15 yards on Sunday so there was an element of it with us. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So on the 3rd and 14 in the 4th qrt when Zach ran 7 yards to make a more manageable 4th and 7 which  was completed to Davis doesn't  count? I think if you want to knock on Wilson,  his mobility  isn't  the place to do it. 

That play showed a lot of smarts / preparation / communication - players and coaches. Everyone knew it was 4 down territory and that we were going to go for it on 4th down. Zach didn't try to get it all on one unlikely "hero ball" play, he made a decent gain - taking what was there - to give them a better chance to convert on 4th down.

Good job all round, and a clutch 4th down play followed.

Of course, if we don't convert on 4th down, everyone piles on Zach / LaFleur / Saleh for not getting the job done on 3rd down. ;-) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Dude this guy just came back from an injury that happened as a result of him running of a first down. Wouldn't be surprised if he runs less in these first few games. Plus, he did run a couple times in the last game anyways. Not sure what you're going for here.

2 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I know that Geno Smith isnt a running qb, but every once in a while, he takes off and gets first downs. I remember on the Jets, he said once that his offensive coordinator told him before one of the games, that he'll have to run at least 3 times for a first down for the Jets to win. I use Geno as an example: every qb who is decent occasionally makes plays with his legs, excluding Jet qb's. Zach doesn't even do it. It's so obvious that extending possessions this way is so key,  since it's going to happen that guys aren't open, or a play breaks down. This is the kind of gravy yardage that  wins games. 

Zach Wilson had a 52 yard rushing TD last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Zach Wilson ranks top 15 in gravy yardage. Show some respect. 

I totally agree with the OP.

If a defense gives you wide open runs or if at crunch time a run is there you have to take it.

You have to make teams defend everything.

You have just as much of a chance getting hurt standing in the pocket as running as long as you are smart about the runs.

3 first downs per game is not realistic.  Last year, the only guys who averaged more than 2 per game were Lamar, Hurts and Allen.  Zach had 10 rushing first downs, 23rd on the list.  Can he do a better job of picking his spots and making a couple more plays with his legs -- yeah, probably, but that is also how he got injured in the pre-season.  I am not sure how high this should be on the list of priorities for this season.

• Sympathy 1

The stats do not, in any way, support the narrative that Zach doesn't use his legs compared to most other QBs in the league not named Lamar or Josh Allen.  It's great fun here apparently to make up a narrative but when they are easy to refute, it's really just annoying.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 10/6/2022 at 4:27 AM, roscoeword said:

Geno looks like a decent QB since his jaw healed. Crazy 

I totally agree with the OP.
If a defense gives you wide open runs or if at crunch time a run is there you have to take it.
You have to make teams defend everything.
You have just as much of a chance getting hurt standing in the pocket as running as long as you are smart about the runs.
Completely and utterly disagree .. if you opt to run with open receivers down field you are playing losing football.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Completely and utterly disagree .. if you opt to run with open receivers down field you are playing losing football.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What?  No one is ever going to do that and nor should anyone do that.

QBs that will take a sack instead or running  or always check down for a 2 yard pas instead of running are potentially playing losing football.

Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts win games because they run when necessary.

Some Qbs ie russell Wilson are exposed if they suddenly do not run.