Does Zach Wilson get credit for this?

Mario

Last year he took 44 sacks in 12.25 games played. Prorated to a 17 game season that’s 61 sacks. 

This year he’s only taken 12 sacks in 6 games. That’s a 27 sack reduction in a 17 game season. 

Id argue that the NYJ offensive line was BETTER last year-especially in pass blocking. 

In my PFF subscription Sam Monson (an expert in QB play) claims Wilson doesn’t deserve credit for this because he’s not getting the ball out faster. He holds onto the ball about as long as he did a year ago. Monson claims eventually his luck will run out and he will take more sacks. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

So some 15 year that works at pff and thinks he can correctly analyze every play has an opinion about zach? Fantastic 

Sam Monson is the lead PFF analyst. He’s no slouch. Have you ever heard him talk ball? It’s pretty impressive the amount of knowledge and data he has. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

To those of you crapping on PFF, do you also think they are garbage when they put Quinnen and Sauce on the All Pro Team for the midseason?

I think they are garbage. Putting Quinnen and Sauce on the All Pro Team is a no brainer. Their grades and ranks seem too subjective to me to really be worth anything, regardless of whether or not their grades favor the Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Last year he took 44 sacks in 12.25 games played. Prorated to a 17 game season that’s 61 sacks. 

This year he’s only taken 12 sacks in 6 games. That’s a 27 sack reduction in a 17 game season. 

Id argue that the NYJ offensive line was BETTER last year-especially in pass blocking. 

In my PFF subscription Sam Monson (an expert in QB play) claims Wilson doesn’t deserve credit for this because he’s not getting the ball out faster. He holds onto the ball about as long as he did a year ago. Monson claims eventually his luck will run out and he will take more sacks. 

You've seemingly started more threads in the last 2 days than Zach has taken sacks this season? Impressive.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mario said:

cancel your PFF subscription immediately. Sam Monson was arguing on twitter the other day that Zach's grade against the Bills was lower because he went to his first read too much. Seriously - he got dinged for hitting his first read too much. How stupid! Total trash. I have all those PFF morons blocked but people still bring them into my feed somehow.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

cancel your PFF subscription immediately. Sam Monson was arguing on twitter the other day that Zach's grade against the Bills was lower because he went to his first read too much. Seriously - he got dinged for hitting his first read too much. How stupid! Total trash. I have all those PFF morons blocked but people still bring them into my feed somehow.

I’m a 59 year old man. I don’t have twitter. New York jets.com uses PFF. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You think because NYJ.com uses something that makes it good? I assume you've been following the team long enough to see the folly in this logic.

I listen to Monsons podcast with Steve Palalozzo. I like PFF and I like those guys. I’ll keep doing what I do. I have a wife who is 10 weeks pregnant. 

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Also WTF Jetnation.com?

Can we at least debate this topic whether Zach has improved in this key area?

Instead all anyone wants to do is crap on a guy like Sam Monson who has done nothing to anyone but provide the world with cutting edge/groundbreaking NFL analysis. 

5 minutes ago, Mario said:

I’m a 59 year old man. I don’t have twitter. New York jets.com uses PFF. 

Then NYJ.com is also garbage.

Wilson took more sacks last year because he didn't bail out of the pocket as often. He stood in one place too long and often didn't see the rushers coming in and thus took a lot of sacks. The offensive line had Greg Van Roten and Conor McDermott for a lot of the season, so your claim the OL was better last season is a bunch of crap. They were good for some stretches, but you seem to forget how bad it was at times. Zach taking a lot of time to throw wasn't helping, but he wasn't running around like a chicken much either, and instead got pounded. A 2 year old could see this, and this Monson guy is saying it's because Zach has just been lucky?

• Post of the Week 1

Zach is getting better. I think the New England game showed what he really needed to work on - getting the ball out quick and not participating in a Chinese fire drill when he has to scramble. Have a plan when u scramble and the plan is find a gap and run forward for a 1st down. Zach played correctly in the Buffalo game. Now he knows how he has to play - conservative and smart but ready to let it fly when it’s appropriate. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mario said:

Also WTF Jetnation.com?

Instead all anyone wants to do is crap on a guy like Sam Monson who has done nothing to anyone but provide the world with cutting edge/groundbreaking NFL analysis. 

Sam Monson is Wario but you talk about him like he’s your Princess Peach.  

5 minutes ago, Mario said:

Also WTF Jetnation.com?

We could if you would stop invoking Sam Monson as if he's a legit analyst instead of a ******* dork.

Sam Monson is a dipsh*t and his analysis is stupid. Lowering a QB's grade because they go to the first read too much in a clean game is ridiculous and Sam should feel bad for doing it.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mario said:

Also WTF Jetnation.com?

I mean, his sack count is down so it suggests he improved in that area, but he's instead running around and throwing the ball around. That's better than taking a sack because there isn't lost yardage but it has resulted in a couple INTs and such.

Your initial question, though, was whether or not he deserves the credit for this. I don't really know how to answer this except by saying yes because he's been running around instead of not moving as much before. Putting his large difference in sacks taken on luck like Monson has doesn't seem to be very strong analysis. There's clearly a reason for it.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mario said:

Also WTF Jetnation.com?

My Aunt Chicky had a miniature pinscher named Sam, licked his own nuts a lot. Love that dog! 

• Haha 4

Zach should get credit for reducing his sacks…

With that said, there is a “right” way and a “wrong” way to reduce sacks.  Or maybe a good, better, best way to reduce sacks.

The Buffalo game was a great example of the best way to play in the pocket.  Get the ball out quick, step up in the pocket, scramble through open lanes, etc..

Safest approach and most sustainable… 

• Upvote 1

I dont think we know if he deserves credit.  We need more time. 

There have been 2 Zachs.  4th Q Steelers, Dolphins, Bills Zach and Broncos, Pats Zach.  If we can see more of the first one for the remainder of the season, then fine Ill give him credit for seeing the field faster and getting the ball away more often.  If we see the 2nd, he was getting lucky. 

To those of you crapping on PFF, do you also think they are garbage when they put Quinnen and Sauce on the All Pro Team for the midseason?

They sold the public that they were going to be analytical website for the NFL that Fangraphs is for MLB. PFF is mired in bias and changes scores to fit their narrative. The fact that they have Sauce and Q as their mid season All Pro means little because their metrics that they gather is tainted. Their opinion is no greater than that of Brady Quinn.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1