Vikings Matchups

BCJet

Couple matchups that I noted when looking at the Vikings team that I feel give the Jets some good advantages.

Jets DL vs Vikings IOL (and OL overall).  The Vikings LT situation is a mess if Darrisaw sits again (he has a concussion) but we wont know that until later in the week and Brian O'neil is a solid RT.  Instead I wanted to focus on the Vikings IOL of C - Garret Bradbury, LG Ezra Cleveland and RG Ed Ingram.  None of these players weigh more then 315 lbs and Bradburry in particular has not lived up to his draft pedigree.  Cleveland was an OT in college who seems like a poor fit as a guard at 6'6 312 lbs.  Ingram is a rookie out of LSU who is 6'3 307.  This seems like an ideal matchup for JFP and QW on the interior on all rushing plays and hopefully QW can really dominate in the run game and slow down Dalvin and in turn the Vikings play-action pass game.

Jets OL vs Vikings IDL.  The Vikings switched to a 3-4 this year and while Danielle Hunter is playing as well as usual (7 sacks) and Zadarius Smith is having an excellent season with 9.5 sacks, the IDL of Harrison Phillips and Jonahtan Bullard is very underwhelming.  Phillips is an undersized NT at 307 and if the Vikings dont get back their best run stopper in Dalvin Tomlinson, this front should be succeptible to the run and the short passing game which should play into our strengths, even with carter sidelined.  Stevenson had 9 catches for 76 yards in their last game, and Pollard of course had a huge game rushing and out of the backfield in the Dallas game.

Dallas was able to win so handily by getting up early and forcing Cousins to throw.  We have enough at CB with Sauce to hopefully slow Jefferson down and if we can get some early points we should be able to follow a similar game plan of generating pressure with 4 DL and forcing cousins into difficult passing downs.  

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, JetsFanNick12 said:

Reed on Jefferson with safety help. 

You need more than 1 player (especially a rookie CB) to take down Jefferson. Because of Sauce’s length, he should follow him all over the field, but they won’t have him do that. 

image.gif.ec8f002dad2679acbb4b34c60c4d9c01.gif
4-2-5 and we need Dalvin Cook contained by the front 6. I could see JJ & Clemons getting more playing time this week. Seal the edges

Win at the line of scrimmage and you win this game. Sounds simple (and it is), very hard to execute. 

DEFENSIVELY:

-Jets pass rush needs to get in Cousins face. Interior needs to move him off his spot, he's not a mobile QB. Edge rushers need to force him to step up into the collapsing pocket. 

-Jets D-line + LBs needs to close out the rush lanes and set the edges so Cook does not run wild. 

*The Jets defense should not be overly concerned about Jefferson (IMO). I know that is all people seem to be talking about. But the Jets have elite CBs who will slow him down and prevent him from taking over this game. He may get a big play here and there but in the end, I don't see the Vikings winning because of his impact. Instead, stay alert on short passes where Cousins can get rid of the ball quick to TEs (TJ Hockenson) and RBs (Cook) that could result in lots of YAC. I am way more worried about THAT then Souce/Reed on Jefferson/Thielan. 

OFFENSIVELY:

-Balanced offense (what else is new). Short pass game (what else is new). Stay creative. Run the clock and keep the ball away from Cousins.

-No mistakes. The Vikings have good players on defense. So it will be critical for White to play a clean game and not make costly turnovers. He WILL have to play somewhat of a conservative game. He just needs to make sure he doesn't play hero ball and doesn't take too many chances. Rely on the defense.

*To do this, the Jets O-line will need to step up and protect Mike White long enough to ALLOW him to make accurate passes in a relatively clean pocket- which we all know he can do. They also need to have some semblance of a run game.  If the Jets DO attack with a balanced, creative, short pass offense, they will keep the defense on their heels and not only run lots of clock but minimize the likelihood of turnovers.      

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I think pass rush will dictate this game,  unless we are able to come out early and run it down their throats.  Mike White needs a relatively clean pocket to avoid mistakes which will be tough against Hunter & Smith.

Also the best way to cover Justin Jefferson is to get in Kirk Cousins’ face.

Agree.  The Jets will need to get good pressure on Cousins.  They need to knock Cousin's sh*t loose.  Great match up to watch for sure.  Sauce vs. Jefferson. Even Revis at his best would probably give up some yards to Jefferson. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So basically, green is a complimentary color now.

Hopefully the new uniform design will be better with green as a primary.

People are in denial about this, but the current black uniforms are MUCH more popular than the current green ones. (both with the team as well as with fans who buy Jets merchandise). The team has not worn their green jerseys yet this season and it's about to be December - this is not a coincidence. If you go on fanatics, the most popular gear is the black stuff. 

And, btw, as I have been telling ya'll all along, the black jerseys are awesome!

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Win at the line of scrimmage and you win this game. Sounds simple (and it is), very hard to execute. 

DEFENSIVELY:

-Jets pass rush needs to get in Cousins face. Interior needs to move him off his spot, he's not a mobile QB. Edge rushers need to force him to step up into the collapsing pocket. 

-Jets D-line + LBs needs to close out the rush lanes and set the edges so Cook does not run wild. 

*The Jets defense should not be overly concerned about Jefferson (IMO). I know that is all people seem to be talking about. But the Jets have elite CBs who will slow him down and prevent him from taking over this game. He may get a big play here and there but in the end, I don't see the Vikings winning because of his impact. Instead, stay alert on short passes where Cousins can get rid of the ball quick to TEs (TJ Hockenson) and RBs (Cook) that could result in lots of YAC. I am way more worried about THAT then Souce/Reed on Jefferson/Thielan. 

OFFENSIVELY:

-Balanced offense (what else is new). Short pass game (what else is new). Stay creative. Run the clock and keep the ball away from Cousins.

-No mistakes. The Vikings have good players on defense. So it will be critical for White to play a clean game and not make costly turnovers. He WILL have to play somewhat of a conservative game. He just needs to make sure he doesn't play hero ball and doesn't take too many chances. Rely on the defense.

*To do this, the Jets O-line will need to step up and protect Mike White long enough to ALLOW him to make accurate passes in a relatively clean pocket- which we all know he can do. They also need to have some semblance of a run game.  If the Jets DO attack with a balanced, creative, short pass offense, they will keep the defense on their heels and not only run lots of clock but minimize the likelihood of turnovers.      

Jefferson is a game wrecker. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'd still like to see green as the primary color. 

Raiders

Commanders now

Jaguars

Ravens

Steelers

Falcons

Bengals

Eagles

Lions

Panthers

Cardinals

Niners

All have black uniforms. It's boring. Our identity is green. 

I respect this opinion for sure, and in an ideal world, our best looking uniforms would be green. 

I just happen to think these black uniforms are sexy AF, while the current green uniforms are meh. I also love the black helmets. 

1 hour ago, genot said:

Another interesting point. Gardner has been a little grabby. He's stayed clear of penalties.  In this game, playing in Minnesota against a star player, he might not be so fortunate. Something to watch.

That’s gonna bite us at the worst time just watch. 

• Upvote 1

This is probably the best offense the Jets D has faced, since week 3, with the possible exception to the Bills, who looked like they had a couple off weeks. Dolphins have a great offense but not with Skylar Thompson. 
It’s a big test for the defense, and I’m excited to see how they do.

• Upvote 1

So Darrisaw is officially out at LT. Blake Brandel (a 3rd year player who is 6'7 315) will start at LT.  This is an enormous advantage for the Jets in the DL vs OL matchup and they need to absolutely dominate this vikings front in order to have a chance to win.   Yes the Pats have good sack numbers but the Jets have a much more talented DL and I expect a performance closer to what Dallas did then what the Pats were able to generate from a pass rush standpoint. 

With Carter out it will be a great opportunity for Zonovan again but I think the best option is run the short passing offense as much as possible with Wilson, Moore and the RBs/TEs. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:22 AM, Gastineau Lives said:

I'd still like to see green as the primary color. 

Raiders

Commanders now

Jaguars

Ravens

Steelers

Falcons

Bengals

Eagles

Lions

Panthers

Cardinals

Niners

All have black uniforms. It's boring. Our identity is green. 

Our "identity" is one of losing. Maybe they are on to something. I couldn't care what color we wear. 

• WTF? 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:30 AM, slimjasi said:

I respect this opinion for sure, and in an ideal world, our best looking uniforms would be green. 

I just happen to think these black uniforms are sexy AF, while the current green uniforms are meh. I also love the black helmets. 

Not a fan of the black at all but Saleh and many fans it seems clearly prefers it. I like the green bit not all green. I'd prefer white pants with white or green and occasionally the white and black. Would be shocked if we don't change uniforms as soon as we are allowed.

On 11/30/2022 at 11:32 AM, genot said:

Another interesting point. Gardner has been a little grabby. He's stayed clear of penalties.  In this game, playing in Minnesota against a star player, he might not be so fortunate. Something to watch.

Jefferson is handsy too. They will let them play.

• Upvote 1