Zach Wilson has ‘all the confidence in the world’ after Jets benching

Zach never lacked confidence he showed  up with a ton, some may say too much or more than his ability warranted. He needs to take a step behind and realized he needs to learn how to play the position at this level. Until he does that his confidence is nothing more than hubris. 
Totally spot on... His talent needs to be developed ... Until then stfu Zach and do your goddam job.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Zach never lacked confidence he showed  up with a ton, some may say too much or more than his ability warranted. He needs to take a step behind and realized he needs to learn how to play the position at this level. Until he does that his confidence is nothing more than hubris. 

If he didn't have off the chart skills there is no way he's drafted at 2.  Joe Douglas may have missed.  Too soon to know but he certainly understands NFL skills.   His "Ability" did warrant the confidence.  He's work ethic warranted the confidence.   Maybe he simply has a low IQ for football?  That's not easy to see right away.  I think they should have cleaned the stupid from his brain when they cleaned out his knee. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I like hearing this.  You need thick skin to play QB in the NFL.  We'll see how it plays out but I'm glad he still has a lot of confidence.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/14/zach-wilson-full-of-confidence-after-jets-benching/

The biggest thing for me mentally was finding the fun in football,” Wilson said. “I love this game and it definitely wasn’t lost, but I think you [media] felt the frustrations over some of those rough games.”

So did anyone else find it interesting that Zach isbstill giving the media the blame for his problems? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

If he didn't have off the chart skills there is no way he's drafted at 2.  Joe Douglas may have missed.  Too soon to know but he certainly understands NFL skills.   His "Ability" did warrant the confidence.  He's work ethic warranted the confidence.   Maybe he simply has a low IQ for football?  That's not easy to see right away.  I think they should have cleaned the stupid from his brain when they cleaned out his knee. 

All of this is spot on until the end. What you call stupidity in his brain is a need to learn. His accuracy and footwork issues are due to thinking and not reacting, because he is being confused at the LOS, that doesnt mean he is stupid, it doesnt mean he can't learn. I remember all the nonsense about how dumb Geno was, and that he would never amount to anything, well, he has been one of the better QB's in football. The immortal MW sat and learned for years before he ever played a down. QB is THE hardest position in all of sports for a reason, and there is a sh*t ton that goes into a successful QB, way more than people realize. BUT, he has talent, whether he is able to turn that talent into something or not, who the hell knows, I suspect if he finds himself in the right situation after the Jets, he will, and if he is in the wrong situation, he won't.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The Jets made a colossal mistake starting him from Day 1, he was nowhere near ready. This is not the market to let a QB learn and take his lumps in, you can do it in some markets, not NY. Take whatever you can get for him this offseason and move on with MW if he shows enough, or sign a vet if needed. 

Bingo! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

His desire and work ethic need to meet his confidence 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

The kid gave himself a 90 on the Madden rating system before he ever stepped foot on an NFL playing field.  His confidence, has never been an issue, it's been misplaced, lol

New York Jets quarterback Mike White, a fifth-round pick by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2018 NFL draft, isn't sure why he didn't generate more respect as a college prospect.

"I couldn't tell you. That's definitely the scouting departments across the league and what their interpretation of me is," White told reportersThursday. "I have 100 percent confidence in myself. So if you ask me, I should have been a first overall pick. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The Jets made a colossal mistake starting him from Day 1, he was nowhere near ready. This is not the market to let a QB learn and take his lumps in, you can do it in some markets, not NY. Take whatever you can get for him this offseason and move on with MW if he shows enough, or sign a vet if needed. 

To be honest, this whole message board was all for him starting right away judging him solely  on a preseason where he didn't  face a single #1 defense for even a qrt.. I was reading things like he looks like he belongs, clearly the best of all the QBs. Don't  start him on day 1? I think a lot of people would have been asking why Zach isn't  starting when all we had was White and Johnson. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Exactly. Every year for decades we see the difference between players be the ability to process and instinctively act. That’s it. The ability to throw far, run fast, and all that… they all have that. It’s what happens between the ears that allows a WR to use or move his body in fractions of seconds to catch a ball more consistently than others. Same with QB, the ability to see, process and act needs to be reactions. If it is not, everything goes to sh*t, because the rest of the league is moving at closer to that speed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

To be honest, this while message board was all for him starting right away judging him solely  on a preseason where he didn't  face a single #1 defense for even a qrt.. I was reading things like he looks like he belongs, clearly the best of all the QBs. Don't  start him on day 1? I think a lot of people would have been asking why Zach isn't  starting when all we had was White and Johnson. 

This.

I can count in one hand the people I knew agreed with me that he shouldn’t have been the pick.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

All of this is spot on until the end. What you call stupidity in his brain is a need to learn. His accuracy and footwork issues are due to thinking and not reacting, because he is being confused at the LOS, that doesnt mean he is stupid, it doesnt mean he can't learn. I remember all the nonsense about how dumb Geno was, and that he would never amount to anything, well, he has been one of the better QB's in football. The immortal MW sat and learned for years before he ever played a down. QB is THE hardest position in all of sports for a reason, and there is a sh*t ton that goes into a successful QB, way more than people realize. BUT, he has talent, whether he is able to turn that talent into something or not, who the hell knows, I suspect if he finds himself in the right situation after the Jets, he will, and if he is in the wrong situation, he won't.

Agree.  There are plenty of low IQ football players with lots of talent just like Geno who it takes 9 years to figure it out.  It took HOF QB  Steve Young 7 years to figure it out.  Did you know both Geno and Young sat behind real good QB's for a very long time before either of them got another chance.  In Young's case he not only sat behind a HOF QB, he was tought how to play the position by one of the 3 or 4 greatest offensive HC in NFL history.  

Zach will not be on the Jets in 7 to 9 years when he finally figures it out.   He has a 4 year deal.  He may not have the time for his mind to catch up to his physical talent.   

Josh Rosen had as much talent as Zach when he was drafted.  

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Biggs said:

Agree.  There are plenty of low IQ football players with lots of talent just like Geno who it takes 9 years to figure it out.  It took HOF QB  Steve Young 7 years to figure it out.  Did you know both Geno and Young sat behind real good QB's for a very long time before either of them got another chance.  In Young's case he not only sat behind a HOF QB, he was tought how to play the position by one of the 3 or 4 greatest offensive HC in NFL history.  

Zach will not be on the Jets in 7 to 9 years when he finally figures it out.   He has a 4 year deal.  He may not have the time for his mind to catch up to his physical talent.   

Josh Rosen had as much talent as Zach comming out.  

to be clear, nobody knows if it actually took Geno that long to figure it out, he never really had a legit shot until this year. He also had some of the worst coaching imaginable and some awful rosters here with the Jets, that matters, like a lot. Look at Russ Wilson last year vs this year, as much as Jets fans want to act like QB's are just robots who are either good robots or bad robots, its complete and utter nonsense. Situations matter, a lot, coaching matters, a lot, surrounding players matter, a lot, QB play matters, a lot, but its not an independent event. And how in the world do you know Geno is low IQ? By all accounts hes a smart guy, he was just an immature dick, there are plenty of smart immature dicks.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

This little Greek restaurant around the corner makes the best hubris with pita bread I've ever tried. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

good post Crush, hey are they (what in our family anyway, call) pizza freetz or zeppoles?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

His desire and work ethic need to meet his confidence 

There are some guys who see it faster and anticipate it faster having zero to do with work ethic.  There have been football players who couldn't put a sentence together who had that ability.  Not saying you can't improve through hard work but you can't deny that some athletes are wired to mentally see things that are about to happen and react to it physically faster than others.   

Desire, work ethic and confidence aren't enough to be an elite NFL QB.  If it was there would be a lot less busts.  It's just something most people even great college QB's just can't do.  

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Exactly. Every year for decades we see the difference between players be the ability to process and instinctively act. That’s it. The ability to throw far, run fast, and all that… they all have that. It’s what happens between the ears that allows a WR to use or move his body in fractions of seconds to catch a ball more consistently than others. Same with QB, the ability to see, process and act needs to be reactions. If it is not, everything goes to sh*t, because the rest of the league is moving at closer to that speed.

You see it almost every sport.  It goes beyond physical skill, work ethic and smarts.  Some guys have it and some don't.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I keep seeing this thrown out here repeatedly. I think this take is absolutely 1000% wrong.

The Jets were basically rebooting their team, new HC, new OC, new QB coach , new blocking schemes and systems and with a plethora of young players manning roster spots.  Starting a journey man vet QB in that spot made no sense whatsoever. This gave Zach a chance to get valuable experience and learn lockstep with the rest of the team.  It was gonna be a bumpy ride but true to their reputation the majority of media and overzealous fans grew way too impatient , way too soon. Zach is still an open book , but many have thrown this book away and are shopping for the next NY  Times bestseller - fortunately JD, Saleh and the Jets organization are sticking to their plan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Larz said:

New York Jets quarterback Mike White, a fifth-round pick by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2018 NFL draft, isn't sure why he didn't generate more respect as a college prospect.

"I couldn't tell you. That's definitely the scouting departments across the league and what their interpretation of me is," White told reportersThursday. "I have 100 percent confidence in myself. So if you ask me, I should have been a first overall pick. 

Is this supposed to be a got you moment?   Because if so, I dont think you comprehended my post, shocking!!!

6 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

to be clear, nobody knows if it actually took Geno that long to figure it out, he never really had a legit shot until this year. He also had some of the worst coaching imaginable and some awful rosters here with the Jets, that matters, like a lot. Look at Russ Wilson last year vs this year, as much as Jets fans want to act like QB's are just robots who are either good robots or bad robots, its complete and utter nonsense. Situations matter, a lot, coaching matters, a lot, surrounding players matter, a lot, QB play matters, a lot, but its not an independent event. And how in the world do you know Geno is low IQ? By all accounts hes a smart guy, he was just an immature dick, there are plenty of smart immature dicks.

I thought Russ Wilson was done.  Said it before the season.  He has been concussed numerous times.  He's been in soft decline for a few years.  He fell off the cliff this year.  

By low IQ I mean low IQ for NFL QB.  There are a lot of very smart guys who can't turn there knowledge into physical anticipation.   Geno has had years to watch and practice at the highest level.  It took years.   Joe Borrow was ready day 1.  Zach looks like it's going to take a long time.  I hope I'm wrong because he has good physical skills. 

• Upvote 1