Which OT do you prefer?

bonkertons

Which OT do you prefer?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose if all 3 were on the board?

• Paris Johnson - Ohio St
    • Peter Skoronski - Northwestern
    • Broderick Jones - Georgia
    • Other(write in)

There's a consensus that 3 OTs in this draft are head and shoulders above the rest:  Johnson, Skoronski, and Jones.  However, I've seen mocks that have had all 3 as the top OT taken.  I guess more often than not I've seen Johnson as the top guy, but Jones seems to be a rising favorite.  I think we'd all be happy just to get one of these guys, but if we're being greedy, who would you prefer?

I'm sure my mind will change but right now I'm taking Skoronski. Hes the most polished and I would feel pretty comfortable plugging him right in at LT, RT or even G. 

Paris Johnson is a close second. He also looks like he has sound technique and apparently played multiple positions on the line, which is something the Jets would really welcome. 

I lean Skoronski (need to change my avatar, I made it him when I really hoped tackle wouldn't be in play). Floor I think is a tremendous guard, but think he's got a chance to stick at tackle and be valuable there, and with AVT's position versatility and the Jets needing good players I'd rather they just take a layup if it's there.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, derp said:

I lean Skoronski (need to change my avatar, I made it him when I really hoped tackle wouldn't be in play). Floor I think is a tremendous guard, but think he's got a chance to stick at tackle and be valuable there, and with AVT's position versatility and the Jets needing good players I'd rather they just take a layup if it's there.

Your avatar is one of the dudes I want next year...please football gods.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Your avatar is one of the dudes I want next year...please football gods.

Thread was the impetus for me to change it haha it had been Skoronski previously. Usually pick someone I hope they won’t need to draft every cycle but I’ve got nothing this year so just went to 2024.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Thread was the impetus for me to change it haha it had been Skoronski previously. Usually pick someone I hope they won’t need to draft every cycle but I’ve got nothing this year so just went to 2024.

As big of a need as OT is, part of me would love to trade down, get another 1st next year(if it's something that's on the table), and take OG Torrence instead.  Go into '23 with:

LT: Becton; Brown

LG: AVT; Tomlinson

C : Schmitz(2nd); cheap UFA

RG: Torrence; Herbig

RT: McGlinchey; Mitchell

Go out and get Maye or Williams in '24.  I want it...

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, PepPep said:

I'm sure my mind will change but right now I'm taking Skoronski. Hes the most polished and I would feel pretty comfortable plugging him right in at LT, RT or even G. 

Paris Johnson is a close second. He also looks like he has sound technique and apparently played multiple positions on the line, which is something the Jets would really welcome. 

I have those reversed, but I would take any of those 3. 

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

As big of a need as OT is, part of me would love to trade down, get another 1st next year(if it's something that's on the table), and take OG Torrence instead.  Go into '23 with:

Putting Becton in a depth chart above 3rd is delusional. We simply can not depend on him to play.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely appreciate the goal to have a really good offensive line but I do think that spending the top two picks on the OL plus spending a lot on a FA is overkill. It’s unfortunate, but Tomlinson probably starts next year since I don’t think cutting him is palatable.

A Torrence scenario is possible but probably involves AVT at tackle IMO and even then I don’t love first round guards, especially those who are guards only. The position versatility AVT has factors into Skoronski being okay IMO. Know at least one of the two can play tackle.

While the line could absolutely be better, team has other flaws too. Need more offensive playmakers, linebacker, safety…not that the line can’t be addressed but some of that other stuff needs to be cleaned up.

Could absolutely get into a trade down to pick up a 2024 first - though that doesn’t seem like a move that a HC and GM on the hot seat make - just don’t think a guard would be what I’d want to address there.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Putting Becton in a depth chart above 3rd is delusional. We simply can not depend on him to play.

If he's healthy, he plays.  If you want to put someone else at 3rd on the depth chart in preparation of him being injured, that's fine.  No way will this dude be 3rd though.  Are you saying that, if he's healthy enough to play, he'll ride pine all year?  Otherwise, no....he won't be 3rd on the depth chart.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, derp said:

I absolutely appreciate the goal to have a really good offensive line but I do think that spending the top two picks on the OL plus spending a lot on a FA is overkill. It’s unfortunate, but Tomlinson probably starts next year since I don’t think cutting him is palatable.

A Torrence scenario is possible but probably involves AVT at tackle IMO and even then I don’t love first round guards, especially those who are guards only. The position versatility AVT has factors into Skoronski being okay IMO. Know at least one of the two can play tackle.

While the line could absolutely be better, team has other flaws too. Need more offensive playmakers, linebacker, safety…not that the line can’t be addressed but some of that other stuff needs to be cleaned up.

Could absolutely get into a trade down to pick up a 2024 first - though that doesn’t seem like a move that a HC and GM on the hot seat make - just don’t think a guard would be what I’d want to address there.

I get what you mean and it wouldn't be my preference either, but in the event we could trade down for that kind of value, I just don't love the OTs expected to go in that spot.  I suppose you could go LB or FS instead, but we might find ourselves in similar situation next year with a decimated OL.

I think the C in round 2 will come down to who is on the board - there should be some solid safeties and LB going in that range.  Maybe a big WR drops as well.  IMO though, we clearly need to draft one - whether it's a guy who steps in right away or a guy we develop.  The consensus seems to be if we draft one late we'll bring back McGovern to hold the fort for a couple years.  McGovern is set to make over $10M per.  I think I'd rather sacrifice a high pick if it means we don't have to wait for a kid to develop, and can wave goodbye to McGovern.  Again this all comes down to whether this kid is even good enough to start right away.  I'm assuming he is but who knows.

I don't hate the idea of not going C in the 2nd, but I do hate the idea of bringing back McGovern at the kind of money that's being talked about.

21 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I get what you mean and it wouldn't be my preference either, but in the event we could trade down for that kind of value, I just don't love the OTs expected to go in that spot.  I suppose you could go LB or FS instead, but we might find ourselves in similar situation next year with a decimated OL.

I think the C in round 2 will come down to who is on the board - there should be some solid safeties and LB going in that range.  Maybe a big WR drops as well.  IMO though, we clearly need to draft one - whether it's a guy who steps in right away or a guy we develop.  The consensus seems to be if we draft one late we'll bring back McGovern to hold the fort for a couple years.  McGovern is set to make over $10M per.  I think I'd rather sacrifice a high pick if it means we don't have to wait for a kid to develop, and can wave goodbye to McGovern.  Again this all comes down to whether this kid is even good enough to start right away.  I'm assuming he is but who knows.

I don't hate the idea of not going C in the 2nd, but I do hate the idea of bringing back McGovern at the kind of money that's being talked about.

Yeah, I don’t think it’d be a tackle in a trade down. I don’t love a guard but you could probably justify it if AVT is playing tackle and McGlinchey money is allocated elsewhere. Don’t like first round linebacker or safety either for the most part though I do expect Branch to be excellent and think the defense could really use a player like him.

I’d just rather allocate to a more premium spot. Continuing to build the DL or adding a playmaker would trump a non premium spot for me.

Center will come down to scheme to an extent. And the market might present opportunities, folks on the board wanted to give Bozeman the moon last year and he only got a few million. Not the be all end all but Brugler on a podcast the other day said he doesn’t think there’s a top 100 center in the class. One person’s opinion but it’s early to see how that position group shakes out. Most boards now are still based on very flawed preseason rankings.

If he's healthy, he plays.  If you want to put someone else at 3rd on the depth chart in preparation of him being injured, that's fine.  No way will this dude be 3rd though.  Are you saying that, if he's healthy enough to play, he'll ride pine all year?  Otherwise, no....he won't be 3rd on the depth chart.  

I am saying assuming he can play is a mistake.

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's most likely the best lineman in the draft but most likely at IOL.  I chose Paris because he's a pure OT and I think has the highest floor of the OT's.  Broderick is boom or bust, has the highest ceiling but so was Mekhi so I'm hesitant to risk it again.

Darnell Wright could be the first or second T off the board. 

Word is no teams have any idea what other teams are doing ahead of them.  Going to be a lot of surprises in Round 1.

• Upvote 1

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-draft-preview-which-offensive-linemen-make-sense-for-green-white

T Peter Skoronski (6-4, 313), Northwestern
Skoronski has been the anchor at left tackle for the Wildcats since he was a freshman in 2020. He started all 33 games he played in, including 9 games as a freshman, earning freshman All-American honors. He was first-team All-Big Ten in 2021. In 2022, he became the first unanimous All-American and the Big Ten's Rimington-Pace OL of the Year in school history. Skoronski was the only offensive tackle in college football with 830-plus snaps and 6 or fewer pressures allowed. He has NFL bloodlines -- his grandfather, Bob Skoronski Sr., played OT for eight seasons for the Packers (1959-68). Some pundits believe Peter is best suited to play guard at the pro level.

T Paris Johnson (6-3, 313), Ohio State
Johnson played both RG and LT for the Buckeyes, starting 13 games at guard in 2021 and 13 at tackle this past season. He was a consensus first-team All-American in 2022 and the first in school history since 2015 (Taylor Decker). Johnson had one penalty this past season on a false start. He's equally impressive off the field -- he started his own foundation as a senior in high school to help disabled veterans and disadvantaged students-athletes. Johnson, who had a 4.0 GPA in high school, graduated from OSU in three years and is fluent in Mandarin Chinese.

T Broderick Jones (6-5, 311), Georgia
Jones displayed a lot of potential as a one-and-a-half-year starter for the Bulldogs. He's taken the fewest number of college snaps among FBS offensive tackles in the 2023 draft class. He's started 19 games in two seasons (15 this past season) and had zero holding penalties. He was flagged for one false start. A former basketball player, Jones' calling card is his athleticism. His 4.97 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine was the fastest among offensive linemen.

Other top-rated tackles: Tennessee's Darnell Wright (6-5, 333), Oklahoma's Anton Harrison (6-4, 315)

C Joe Tippman (6-6, 313), Wisconsin
Tippman started 22 of his final 23 games for the Badgers over the 2021-22 seasons after a decorated high-school career at Bishop Dwenger, a Catholic high school in Fort Wayne, IN. He started working with the school's OL coach, former Jets OL Jason Fabini (1998-2005), in sixth grade. Tippman had 102 pancake blocks as a senior in 2018 and was named Indiana's Mr. Football and conference MVP. He's also a gym rat, making The Athletic's Bruce Feldman's Freaks List with a 635-pound squat and 455-pound bench.

C John Michael Schmitz (6-3, 301), Minnesota
Michael Schmitz has been with the Gophers for the last six seasons and will be 24 on draft weekend. He started 35 games from 2019-22 and missed two games the last three seasons -- one for injury in 2020 and the other for opting out of the 2022 bowl game. He helped lead Minnesota to a top-15 national rushing offense in 2022 despite four new starters along the line.

Other top-rated centers: Arkansas' Ricky Stromberg (6-3, 306), Ohio State's Luke Wypler (6-2, 303)

• Upvote 1

Broderick Jones has become somewhat of the chalk pick for the Jets at 13. He's a little raw, but the tools and character are there. I look at this selection and think back to the Jets strategy last year: if Sauce was selected before #4, they were taking Ekwonu. If Wilson was gone #10, they were probably selecting Cross. 

• Ekwonu: 6'4", 310 lb., 34" arm, 10 1/4" hand, raw but plus-athleticism
  • Cross: 6'4 3/4", 307 lb., 34 1/2" arm, 10 3/4" hand, raw but plus-athleticism 
  • Jones: 6'5 3/8", 311 lb., 34 3/8" arm, 10 5/8" hand, raw but plus-athleticism

This may seem like an over-generalization, but the situation last year and this one is so similar. Jets wanted to foster an environment where they could select an offensive lineman, let that player come in and compete at T/G, ultimately start the best 5 guys with the understanding that the drafted prospect would wind up their long-term tackle. Just think about that: they could've selected Ekwonu at #4, and there was a legitimate scenario that existed where he could've began his career behind Becton and Fant. That didn't wind up presenting itself last year, but for good reason being that they wound up landing 4 core building block players at CB, WR, DE, and RB. This year they have far less needs, making it easier to adopt a similar strategy. 

Jets think Jones has really good football character. He's confident, driven, has a mean streak, and is a worker. His athleticism is off the charts, even better than his test results (see his background in basketball). His natural footspeed is great, but his primary issues have to do with mirroring his upper body with his lower body: often his hands and punches are very late, and that needs to be corrected. He can play LT/RT and while not experienced at G, scouts believe he can fill in there. Really the only thing about his game is how green he is, but time and time again we've seen guys who are athletic and hungry that come in and develop quicker than expected on the offensive line; at the same time, there are guys who are believed to be pro-ready that struggle early on. It's not an exact science, but think his skill set is a great fit for our offensive scheme. The closer we get to the draft, the more likely I think this one becomes a reality. 

• Upvote 2

I see Jones-Ekwonu more than Jones-Cross. Cross had a reputation for being pretty advanced in pass protection for his experience level, I liked him a lot for that reason. Need to be able to be a consistent pass protector at the NFL level. Think Jones is arguably more physically talented but you’re banking on more coming together technically.

Last year was Douglas’ best draft, and he kept it a little more simple. He’s struggled more when he’s taken big swings. Really curious how this year comes together.

• Upvote 1