If Acquired, Rodgers Cap Numbers are not what they seem

choon328

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

You’re here advocating that Sauce and GW shouldn’t win ROY. Sorry I don’t think you like the Jets no matter how much of a “realist” you are

folks like that tend to be generally unhappy.  it's a game/hobby/distraction.  if you can't be excited by Sauce and Wilson (and Hall) why even bother being a fan.

there are a couple of folks like that on this board.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Bingo

#13 - you'd be getting his LT so no issue

2024 - conditional 3rd, becomes a 2nd if he plays in 2024, becomes a 1st if you make the playoffs in 2024

I'd do this in a heartbeat.

i doubt we have to offer that much.  what is GB going to do, keep both Love and Rodgers?  very expensive.

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Those years around 50 mil are pretty scary. High guarantees? He’ll be like 42 then. He also seems to have a idgaf attitude nowadays 

His contract would be an albatross on this organization.

The more and more I think about it the less I want this to happen.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, MyFavoriteMartin28 said:

You wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for the potential of 3 years of Super Bowl runs?

The more this gets kicked around, the more it makes sense. I was initially opposed to giving away two firsts - I’d give away one in a second, but I think I’ve come around to two at this point

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's an OK pick. It was designed to hide how bad Zach was and for a little while he did that

in the end teams don't use high picks on RBs because their careers are so short. JD got cute and the success was temporary 

before you get all worked up, remember he's not likely going to be 100 percent off that ACL until year 3. Unless he's Adrian Peterson, most guys aren't their same self until 2 years after knee reconstruction. 

it can be an ingredient to have a great back to win a SB (like Fournette) but most of the teams with the best RBs don't win the SB. and most teams winning a SB don't have rd 1 or rd 2 running backs on their roster that they drafted 

the good teams find these guys the Jets paid top dollar. And now he's hurt.

that's what happens to RBs in the NFL they get hurt.  

the bet they made was that he wasn't going to get hurt.  the bet didn't work out in that regard.

i didn't and still don't mind the pick.  I think if he doesn't get hurt we make the playoffs (if he continued playing like he was trending).

agree regarding RB and first round picks (like the giants).  also agree that most likely he's not going to be good next year.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

all of this neglects the second part of Peter King's tweet which said "would Rodgers even want to play in NY" 

fans breeze right by that one but it's a legit question. The division is a bear and this team, despite being better than they were, still isn't very good. They aren't 1 QB away from a SB they haven't made the playoffs in 12 years 

where does he go?  TENN?

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So we are going to trade two first round picks and take on a future cap killing contract  (massive cap hit when our young stars want to be paid) for a 100% me first player that has never been accountable for one bad thing that happened in his career but laps up all the credit for anything good happening to him and the team.

This is the part that is risky for me. His attitude is not ideal for an impressionable kid you are hoping to groom. People already have questions about Zach's personality so this move likely amplifies that.

I still prefer Deker Carr but I think the case for Rodgers, if you miss on Carr, is compelling.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

These numbers are insane 

If jd does make this move it will be a blatant tactic to save his job 

All that talk about building the team the right way goes out the window 

Yeah I don't even disagree, but at least we'll have someone who can throw a football to our own players for 2 years before we're terrible again.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Personally I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. Bring in a guy like Winston. He can be an average ish starter and will be a fraction of the cost plus no draft pick cost. This lets the rest of the team be able to continue to build by not hampering the cap/picks 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I don't even disagree, but at least we'll have someone who can throw a football to our own players for 2 years before we're terrible again.

In his interview today he stated he assumed his contract was going to have to change if he decides to play whether he was traded or not. That's interesting - not sure how much better it can look at this point even w/a restructure. Any thoughts on that?

edit:

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

i doubt we have to offer that much.  what is GB going to do, keep both Love and Rodgers?  very expensive.

It's so weird how they traded up for Love despite Rodgers still having plenty left in the tank.

They're not going to recoup any value for Love in the trade market.

And they've overextended themselves financially with Rodgers.

14 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Personally I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. Bring in a guy like Winston. He can be an average ish starter and will be a fraction of the cost plus no draft pick cost. This lets the rest of the team be able to continue to build by not hampering the cap/picks 

I’m OK with them spending on someone.  

The problem with Rodgers is his contract is very complex in his favor, and he is just unpredictable. The way I read it is, he could retire after 1 year and the Jets could be on the hook for like $20-30M in dead money.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

In his interview today he stated he assumed his contract was going to have to change if he decides to play whether he was traded or not. That's interesting - not sure how much better it can look at this point even w/a restructure. Any thoughts on that?

edit:

Nope; no idea what he has in mind, whether he's talking about adjusting how much or over what timespan or both.

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Signing bonus or something ? I dunno.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

He didn't specify what he means by any "adjustment" -- if he's just talking about the same pay but changing how it's structured, it's almost a distinction without a difference.

What's actually different is if he's actually talking about a lower pay number, since these higher upcoming amounts were calculated as part of a 3-year extension after back-to-back MVP seasons (the first and cheapest of which is now out of the way, leaving the 2 higher-pay years to be absorbed by a new team, when he's coming off a decidedly non-MVP season).

Whatever it is, it also means he's not being obstinate since that would necessarily eliminate a couple teams he's deemed worthy options. What this talk has made clear is he values postseason success not just his pay; otherwise he could sit back and keep collecting from the Packers.

I think what helps the Jets' prospects of getting him isn't merely the obvious Wilson problem, but also that his Packers got whooped by the Jets who were starting a QB who barely game-managed that day & struggled so mightily against non-Packers opponents (and how badly the Jets' D roughed him up that game). 

15 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

It’s amazing how teams like the bills, rams, cowboys, chiefs get to sign whoever they want meanwhile we have to cheap out at qb to stay only $40 million under the cap and continue to try to vindicate JD and the clueless fans who drank he and the media’s kool aid regarding Zach Wilson

It’s this insane ineptitude which is why 13 years going and not even appearing in a playoff game

59 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

It’s amazing how teams like the bills, rams, cowboys, chiefs get to sign whoever they want meanwhile we have to cheap out at qb to stay only $40 million under the cap and continue to try to vindicate JD and the clueless fans who drank he and the media’s kool aid regarding Zach Wilson

It’s this insane ineptitude which is why 13 years going and not even appearing in a playoff game

Keep reading, you are not understanding the consequences his contract would have on this team if he retired.