Andre Dillard

maury77

In Joe Douglas's last year with the Eagles' front office, they chose Andre Dillard in the 1st round. I have not followed Dillard's career, but looking up his numbers on PFF, he has been grading in the high 60s the last couple of years. That doesn't make him Trent Williams, but Dillard's 69 grade would have lead the Jets at OT (unless you count AVT). I could see a scenario where Douglas goes into training camp with a battle between Dillard, Becton, Mitchell and a high draft pick to determine the starters.  

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s seems like a foolish plan.   Brown will be 38 years old and coming off a season where he played through an injury that should have ended his season.  Becton is a gigantic question mark who hasn’t played in 2 years.   Cant go into the season with just AVT and Mitchell as your starting tackles.   While AVT played well at tackle, he’s still better at guard.  

Brown is under contract and it is guaranteed. He will most likely be the swing tackle. Becton for all his question marks, has to play next season. My opinion of Becton is the Jets mismanaged  his injury from the start. He should have gotten this surgery last season. I think now he has managed his weight correctly and has rehabbed properly.  If he still can't  play due to his knee, his career is over and I just don't  see it. In any regard, you don't  bring in a player like Dillard. Either Mitchell steps up or you bring in another backup but we need money to sign a vet QB, resign some of our guys,  and Q is due for a monster deal. Becton playing under his current deal is key right now. Everyone better be on board with Becton. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s seems like a foolish plan.   Brown will be 38 years old and coming off a season where he played through an injury that should have ended his season.  Becton is a gigantic question mark who hasn’t played in 2 years.   Cant go into the season with just AVT and Mitchell as your starting tackles.   While AVT played well at tackle, he’s still better at guard.  

I agree. Tackle will be our selection with our 1st pick in draft. He can sit maybe for a few games and learn the nuances from Brown. Brown is stopgap. Always was. How could he not be, at 38 years old

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Brown is under contract and it is guaranteed. He will most likely be the swing tackle. Becton for all his question marks, has to play next season. My opinion of Becton is the Jets mismanaged  his injury from the start. He should have gotten this surgery last season. I think now he has managed his weight correctly and has rehabbed properly.  If he still can't  play due to his knee, his career is over and I just don't  see it. In any regard, you don't  bring in a player like Dillard. Either Mitchell steps up or you bring in another backup but we need money to sign a vet QB, resign some of our guys,  and Q is due for a monster deal. Becton playing under his current deal is key right now. Everyone better be on board with Becton. 

Betting on Becton to come in and become one of the starting tackles is a failed plan from the start.   I would bet large sums of money that JD doesn’t go into next season without adding some more legit starting options at the tackle positions.  Aside from QB OT and center are the biggest needs on this roster.   There will be new blood brought in.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, genot said:

I agree. Tackle will be our selection with our 1st pick in draft. He can sit maybe for a few games and learn the nuances from Brown. Brown is stopgap. Always was. How could he not be, at 38 years old

There’s a good chance he may not even play next year.   We’ll see how his injury progresses over the off-season.  

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

Didnt he sign Brown to a 2 year deal?   I dont know anything about the contract but would seem foolish not bring him back in the fold, no?

Not sure exactly what the shoulder injury is but some of those procedures have a lengthy recovery/rehab. I would assume its up to Brown. They will probably help him and keep in touch and if he wants back I think JETS would bring him back if needed. 

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Betting on Becton to come in and become one of the starting tackles is a failed plan from the start.   I would bet large sums of money that JD goes into next season without adding some more legit starting options at the tackle positions.  Aside from QB OT and center are the biggest needs on this roster.   There will be new blood brought in.  

No there won't.  We are currently over the cap. There is no money to sign starters. I just read the Jets are about 3 million over and will have to restructure or cut players just to get the 3 million needed for the draft. We are not signing anyone who is a legit starter unless the draft someone and I will scream bloody murder if JD uses another high pick on the OL. If he does, he should be fired. I rather see him use the first round pick on a QB and admit Zach is a bust. At least when Becton played he looked like an NFL OT. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, genot said:

JD will trade up and take Paris Johnson. He traded up to get AVT. He’ll do it again. 

• More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Happy you aren't either. If it was up to you we would probably release half the team so you can sign a starting OT. 

Either of you could have been the gm and we wouldn’t have any less Super Bowls in the last 54 years. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

There’s a good chance he may not even play next year.   We’ll see how his injury progresses over the off-season.  

Yes. If he has surgery. The rehab might pit him on ice till midway through next season. No guarantees that his shoulder will ever be the same. At 38 years old to boot. We must be thinking past him and Becton

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No there won't.  We are currently over the cap. There is no money to sign starters. I just read the Jets are about 3 million over and will have to restructure or cut players just to get the 3 million needed for the draft. We are not signing anyone who is a legit starter unless the draft someone and I will scream bloody murder if JD uses another high pick on the OL. If he does, he should be fired. I rather see him use the first round pick on a QB and admit Zach is a bust. At least when Becton played he looked like an NFL OT. 

I’m normally not for OL in the first either. This off-season however I wouldn’t mind it. Becton is on the last year of his deal and we all know his issues. Besides him we have old man brown who may retire and Mitchell who may be an adequate RT in the future. Locking in a cheapish LT on a rookie contract seems like a good fit for the current team. Grabbing a Center in the 3rd or so seems like a good idea also 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

And with that plan, would finish 5-11 at best. 

There are ways of bringing in another OT, drafting one, and still resigning some guys/bringing in a veteran QB.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The wild card to me is Mitchell. I think he has a chance to be a good RT. Only though, if he gets bigger and stronger. Can he work out and do that recovering from those clots. I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

The wild card to me is Mitchell. I think he has a chance to be a good RT. Only though, if he gets bigger and stronger. Can he work out and do that recovering from those clots. I have no idea.

He should be fine by the start of camp, he’ll definitely be in the mix for RT.   Will be interesting to see if there is a change in blocking scheme when the new OC comes in.  Lots to sort out before we zero in on specific guys and their fit in the new system. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He should be fine by the start of camp, he’ll definitely be in the mix for RT.   Will be interesting to see if there is a change in blocking scheme when the new OC comes in.  Lots to sort out before we zero in on specific guys and their fit in the new system. 

Good point about new scheme. Yea. Lots of unknowns now.

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Dillard's criticism is that he's soft, guy can't crack the starting lineup and lost his job to a 7th Round player. Hard pass for me dawg.

Maybe he is, I don't know much about him aside from reviewing his PFF grades, but Douglas sure seems to covet his own draft picks. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

THIS. Mitchell is expected to be 100% healthy and ready to go by start of camp. He will compete for the RT spot. Probably with a rookie and/or Becton, and or FA signing. 

The true wild card is Becton. People hate on him so much but I truly believe if he had not gotten injured last year he would have had a great season and been a monster at LT for Breece and our run game. He seems to be healthy and ready to go. The question will be has all the time away from football affected his play (it must have)? Will he get injured again? Is he motivated?  

If Brown doesn't retire he will need surgery for his shoulder (maybe he has already done it?). I don't see how he can have a full recovery by the start of camp. So if Becton comes in motivated, he will have a legit shot to start at LT. JMHO.  

• Upvote 1