Lamar trade talks back on the table?

Rhg1084

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I respectfully disagree 

That’s fine, but what you and I think really doesn’t matter, does it?
The fact is, there will be plenty of NFL teams who are so unconcerned with his “style” they will be happy to give LJ 45-50 mil per year. (the Jets are probably one of them)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s fine, but what you and I think really doesn’t matter, does it?
The fact is, there will be plenty of NFL teams who are so unconcerned with his “style” they will be happy to give LJ 45-50 mil per year. (the Jets are probably one of them)

I never said it wouldn’t happen I simply said there are risks and concerns.  Hasnt stopped teams from doing it in the past in any professional sport.  Personally I don’t see the Jets as being in on Lamar.  I think it’s Carr or Rodgers

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I never said it wouldn’t happen I simply said there are risks and concerns.  Hasnt stopped teams from doing it in the past in any professional sport.  Personally I don’t see the Jets as being in on Lamar.  I think it’s Carr or Rodgers

The only reason you don’t hear Jets/Lamar talk is the Ravens haven’t said they would consider moving him.

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re letting your opinion cloud your thinking. They’d give up two #1’s in a second for Lamar, and so would a bunch of other teams.

Not letting anything cloud my thinking.  I respect your opinion but right now this is how I feel about it 

good grief, people really want to give up a "windfall" level of trade compensation for a QB looking for a fully-guaranteed contract paying him more than mahomes? a QB who had missed the last 5 games and the playoffs last year after missing 5 total games including the last 4 the year before?  a QB who's led his team to 1 playoff win in 5 years (1-3, 56% completion percentage with 3 TD passes and 5 Ints in those 4 games)?  A QB who's passing stats have declined since his MVP season 4 years ago?

sure, he's exciting.  but part of what makes him exciting is also what makes him a huge risk.

i don't necessarily love the other options, but i know i absolutely HATE the thought of trading away the farm and giving a monster contract to jackson.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I just don’t see it.  The draft capital alone is why I dont think the Jets would do it.  

Yeah this is the reason I just don’t see it. JD is fresh off a monster draft. I’m sure he values premium picks quite dearly right now.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah this is the reason I just see it. JD is fresh off a monster draft. I’m sure he values premium picks quite dearly right now.

Exactly.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t ever trade draft picks but I don’t think it’s the right move considering the amount of draft capital, the money involved, the holes we still have to fill like OL, and the fact that running QBs do tend to have a shorter shelf life and Lamar had already started to have injuries.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t ever trade draft picks but I don’t think it’s the right move considering the amount of draft capital, the money involved, the holes we still have to fill like OL, and the fact that running QBs do tend to have a shorter shelf life and Lamar had already started to have injuries.  

And perhaps most importantly there are other options. Lucky year to need a vet. There are several feasible choices.

• Upvote 2

On 2/22/2023 at 6:45 AM, jetblue95 said:

good grief, people really want to give up a "windfall" level of trade compensation for a QB looking for a fully-guaranteed contract paying him more than mahomes? a QB who had missed the last 5 games and the playoffs last year after missing 5 total games including the last 4 the year before?  a QB who's led his team to 1 playoff win in 5 years (1-3, 56% completion percentage with 3 TD passes and 5 Ints in those 4 games)?  A QB who's passing stats have declined since his MVP season 4 years ago?

sure, he's exciting.  but part of what makes him exciting is also what makes him a huge risk.

i don't necessarily love the other options, but i know i absolutely HATE the thought of trading away the farm and giving a monster contract to jackson.

Trading for Jackson would be so dumb it seriously might get me to stop following this team

• WTF? 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:02 AM, heymangold said:

so question.  i read somewhere that the ravens are likely to place the "non-exclusive" franchise tag on Lamar.  i heard that a team signing Lamar then would be giving the Ravens 2 first round picks with obviously a massive contract to lamar. 

my question is - is that ALL the compensation that would go the other way?  only 2 firsts?  if that's the case, lamar is a no brainer.

nobody answered this question for me - bringing it back up

On 2/22/2023 at 9:45 AM, jetblue95 said:

Yes, 100% because he by far, no question, without a doubt, is the best option for the Jets.  A 26 year old MVP QB and a top 5 player entire NFL, has never, ever, become available in any scenario in the NFL.   No player in the entire NFL, has a bigger impact on their team than Lamar Jackson.  He is/was the entire Ravens offense.  The Ravens, w/ Lamar, were averaging 26 pts a game, and were 8-4.  W/ out Lamar Jackson, they averaged 16 and never scored more than 17 in a single game and went 3-5.

The moment the Jets sign Lamar Jackson, they're favorite to win the AFCE and right up there w/ the Bengals and Chiefs in terms of expectations ie; Super Bowl, every year.   Which is pretty cool. 

There is risk with all these guys.  Rodgers, very risky, short term returns and he's going to cost money and picks.  Derek Carr?  Extremely risky giving a career loser and the guy who is 2nd in turnovers in the NFL over the last 3 years, a contract, let alone a big one in a cold weather city.  None of them provide the stability that Lamar Jackson would provide.  You're set for the next 10 years w/ Lamar.  It's by far the best move for the Jets, there is no close second. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I hate making a move for Jackson but it would make this team very exciting and if he can stay healthy probably a real contender.   I've seen enough blown draft picks to not give a crap about the draft capital.  It's about the cap, the cap growth and how we can structure him for several years. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

That would be really stupid.  The Jets land a 26 year old MVP, top 5 player in the NFL and quit the team?  lol

He is not a Top 5 player in the NFL would cost a fortune in cap and draft capital and there is no reasonable expectation he will stay healthy and it is like a million to one he would ever play at a MVP level again and even then he has been regularly corraled in the playoffs anyway. There is no logic whatsoever in pursuing Lamar. All you need to do is look at Cam and how he fell off a clip to see the future of this guy

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I hate making a move for Jackson but it would make this team very exciting and if he can stay healthy probably a real contender.   I've seen enough blown draft picks to not give a crap about the draft capital.  It's about the cap, the cap growth and how we can structure him for several years. 

On the flip side we’ve seen what draft picks can produce.  Last year we got the OROTY and the DROTY.  We also got Jermaine Johnson and Bryce Hall.  The year before we got AVT from the Jamal Adams trade along with Garrett Wilson.  I’m not opposed to trading  draft picks but we still have a few holes to fill especially on the oline which we can do to n this years draft.  I think Carr will do well here with better weapons and a much better defense than he had with the Raiders 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

He is not a Top 5 player in the NFL would cost a fortune in cap and draft capital and there is no reasonable expectation he will stay healthy and it is like a million to one he would ever play at a MVP level again and even then he has been regularly corraled in the playoffs anyway. There is no logic whatsoever in pursuing Lamar. All you need to do is look at Cam and how he fell off a clip to see the future of this guy

Very True 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

31 minutes ago, heymangold said:

nobody answered this question for me - bringing it back up

Yes it would be 2 firsts, though a team can negotiate a tag and trade clause for less compensation or more.

Baltimore has the right to match the contract and the NFL does not allow poison pills in contracts any longer.

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He is easily a top 5 player in the NFL.  There are currently 3 MVP's still playing in this league, Mahomes, Rodgers and Jackson.  There isnt a single player in the NFL as explosive as Jackson.  Nobody in the NFL can score in an instant w/ his arm and/or legs other than Justin Fields and as much as I love Fields, he's got a long way to go before becoming the passer that Jackson is already.   Jackson, was once again having an MVP campaign before his injury.   It was wildly discussed just how terrible they were and how terrible they'd be w/out Lamar.  There is no single player more valuable to his team than Lamar is to the Ravens.  And was proven when they literally couldnt score more than 17 points w/out him and went 3-5 when he had them 8-4. 

Peyton Manning sucked in the playoffs too.  Patriots slapped him around.  And yet, he has 2 rings. So your playoff comment is silliness and meaningless. 

Cam and Jackson are completely different players and not remotely comparable. 

Quitting a team because they locked down a franchise QB, top 5 player in the NFL, former MVP is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, no offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

On the flip side we’ve seen what draft picks can produce.  Last year we got the OROTY and the DROTY.  We also got Jermaine Johnson and Bryce Hall.  The year before we got AVT from the Jamal Adams trade along with Garrett Wilson.  I’m not opposed to trading  draft picks but we still have a few holes to fill especially on the oline which we can do to n this years draft.  I think Carr will do well here with better weapons and a much better defense than he had with the Raiders 

We also drafted back to back bust with  first round pick.   Johnson was failing like a stone last year. TBD if that was a good pick or a bad pick.  

We could try and trade up to grab a QB in this draft.  That costs draft capital.   JD drafted a bust QB with the 2 pick in the draft.  Mac drafted a bust QB with the 3 pick.   Thats 2 first round picks in 5 years.  I'd take Lamar for Darnold and Wilson all day long.  I would expect that were drafting in the 20's at best next year with Lamar.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

He is easily a top 5 player in the NFL.  There are currently 3 MVP's still playing in this league, Mahomes, Rodgers and Jackson.  There isnt a single player in the NFL as explosive as Jackson.  Nobody in the NFL can score in an instant w/ his arm and/or legs other than Justin Fields and as much as I love Fields, he's got a long way to go before becoming the passer that Jackson is already.   Jackson, was once again having an MVP campaign before his injury.   It was wildly discussed just how terrible they were and how terrible they'd be w/out Lamar.  There is no single player more valuable to his team than Lamar is to the Ravens.  And was proven when they literally couldnt score more than 17 points w/out him and went 3-5 when he had them 8-4. 

Peyton Manning sucked in the playoffs too.  Patriots slapped him around.  And yet, he has 2 rings. So your playoff comment is silliness and meaningless. 

Cam and Jackson are completely different players and not remotely comparable. 

Quitting a team because they locked down a franchise QB, top 5 player in the NFL, former MVP is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, no offense. 

We can agree to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We can agree to disagree. 

Fine but promise me.  If we do trade for him, please stay with the team?  I want you to enjoy greatness for once.  You deserve it, I cant imagine how deflating it must be watching the best prospect you've ever seen in college bust out of the NFL on your favorite team.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

Jackson will have to hold out of camp before the Ravens trade him which eliminates the Jets IMO....Jackson to Atlanta ,Carolina or NO makes the most sense at that point the Jets will have moved on unless we were left with Mike White or Baker Mayfield.

which should also eliminate us is if they dont want to trade Lamar in the AFC. 

• Upvote 2

I don't see how Lamar is a Jet unless they make this decision quickly and slap the non-exclusive tag on him.... but I really think this will be a long process and the Jets will have found their QB a month or two before there's any actual movement. As long as he's out of the AFC, that's fine by me. One less elite QB to get past in the conference as we enter the playoff hunt next season

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF4Lamar said:

Yes, 100% because he by far, no question, without a doubt, is the best option for the Jets. 

You have to take into consideration the amount of 1st round picks it would take acquire Lamar Jackson...quite possibly up to three first-round picks. That's what the Texans got from the Browns for Deshaun Watson. You also have to likely guarantee his entire contract, because that's what he wants. In my opinion, that is NOT the best OPTION for this Jets team. JiF4Lamar will have a smaller run than JiFields.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We also drafted back to back bust with  first round pick.   Johnson was failing like a stone last year. TBD if that was a good pick or a bad pick.  

We could try and trade up to grab a QB in this draft.  That costs draft capital.   JD drafted a bust QB with the 2 pick in the draft.  Mac drafted a bust QB with the 3 pick.   Thats 2 first round picks in 5 years.  I'd take Lamar for Darnold and Wilson all day long.  I would expect that were drafting in the 20's at best next year with Lamar.

They would want 13 thus year just for starters.  We still need to fix the OL which we should be able to get a good one at 13 and probably need a C at 43.  I prefer keeping the picks and getting Carr

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, undertow said:

Jackson will have to hold out of camp before the Ravens trade him which eliminates the Jets IMO....Jackson to Atlanta ,Carolina or NO makes the most sense at that point the Jets will have moved on unless we are left with Mike White or Baker Mayfield.

The Ravens are a well run organization. They will want players and draft picks in return for LJ. Atlanta and Carolina have more to offer than the Jets do, and could short term afford it whereas the Jets are in a "win now" mode. It doesn't look very tenable. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

They would want 13 thus year just for starters.  We still need to fix the OL which we should be able to get a good one at 13 and probably need a C at 43.  I prefer keeping the picks and getting Carr

JD with his move up for Johnson missed an opportunity to draft 2 terrific centers last year.   Think about that.  A rotational player who was failing like a stone and they came in their pants before they got their fly's down to move up to get him.   

Carr would be great if we could sign him for 1 or 2 years.  4 to 5, which is probably what it's going to take for Carr is a little much for a guy who had a bad year and was cut by a team that thought dumping him with no other viable option was addition by subtraction. 

My problem with Lamar is his injury history and the cap.  He's miles better than Carr on a 4 to 5 year deal even giving up the draft capital.  

• WTF? 1