Lamar trade talks back on the table?

Rhg1084

16 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

ESPN's Jamison Hensley and Jeremy Fowler report "all of" Lamar Jackson's counteroffers to the Ravens in contract talks "were for fully guaranteed contracts that exceeded" what Deshaun Watson got.

In other words, more than $230 million guaranteed. The quote making the rounds from this story is a Ravens source saying that "it feels like anything is possible." The real question that comes out of this report is probably: Will any team be willing to guarantee Lamar Jackson's next contract in full? "Multiple rival team officials reached by ESPN said the thought of relinquishing at least two first-round picks -- the baseline asking price, based on the non-exclusive tag -- for the right to pay Jackson between $230 million and $250 million in guaranteed money could give teams pause," the story notes. It's Jackson's right to push this as far as he can, and nobody could blame the team signing him to that deal based on his leverage in this, but it's possible that the contract ask will make it hard for a team to give up the capital to trade for him.

If there’s one team dumb enough, it’d be the Jets

Do the years on the deal not matter here?  He's 26, if that's spread out over 6 years, is that not a good deal?  Serious question.

7 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

Wow, that glorified RB threw for 3 TD's vs. the Jets defense.  Did any other QB do that?  

Problem with LJ is that he's ended the last two season injured. You simply can't look past that fact. If injuries weren't a thought he'd already have his extension with the guaranteed money he's looking for. Is it possible he never gets injured again (season ending)? Sure. Is it probable that he hasn't suffered his last season ending injury. Yup. Having said that, if they trade for him I'll root like hell for him. The league should implement a cap rule that if a guy gets injured for the season he doesn't count against the cap.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Problem with LJ is that he's ended the last two season injured. You simply can't look past that fact. .

There are problems with any vet we bring in.  Rodgers is an old lunatic.  Carr isn't good enough.  Jimmy G can't stay healthy.  Ryan Tannehill is old and sucks.

Jackson checks the most boxes you can get out of a veteran option.  

• Upvote 4

Baltimore press isn't all in on LJ ... Quoting inconsistent passing performance. I think he is a superstar athlete... I just think his window won't be as long as a pure pocket passer ... And think his passing isn't all that.

No denying his playmaking ability .. I think it comes down to ... Do you like running QBs?

And .. do you mind LJ taking ops away from other playmakers on the offense because he believes in his running abilities.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Put LJ on the Jets and this may be one of the most dangerous teams in the league. Lamar Jackson, Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, and a top 5 defense? Come on. Absolute no brainer

yeah when hes on the field. he missed the last 4 games last year and cost them the playoffs and this year missed the last 5 plus there one playoff game. he is breaking down.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

Do the years on the deal not matter here?  He's 26, if that's spread out over 6 years, is that not a good deal?  Serious question.

Feels like this ends up with the Ravens tricking Lamar into taking the deal they offered, but ponying up ~$200 mil in guarantees. 

2 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

He doesn't suck.

Who cares.  Quibble over that with someone else.  This is a pass/fail situation and Tannehill would be in the "fail" group along with the likes of Derek Carr, Jacoby Brissett and Baker Mayfield.

The only "pass" QB's would be Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers.  That's it, end of list.  Fail to get one of those 2 and might as well roll with a cheap option like Gardner Minshew and use the cap space to load up at the other spots on the field.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Problem with LJ is that he's ended the last two season injured. You simply can't look past that fact. If injuries weren't a thought he'd already have his extension with the guaranteed money he's looking for. Is it possible he never gets injured again (season ending)? Sure. Is it probable that he hasn't suffered his last season ending injury. Yup. Having said that, if they trade for him I'll root like hell for him. The league should implement a cap rule that if a guy gets injured for the season he doesn't count against the cap.

True

28 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Put LJ on the Jets and this may be one of the most dangerous teams in the league. Lamar Jackson, Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, and a top 5 defense? Come on. Absolute no brainer

I’m with you getting LJ even with that obscene asking price. Problem is I can see this being a long drawn out process before it gets resolved. So unless the Jets lose out on all their QB options, I don’t see them being a realistic landing place.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares.  Quibble over that with someone else.  This is a pass/fail situation and Tannehill would be in the "fail" group along with the likes of Derek Carr, Jacoby Brissett and Baker Mayfield.

The only "pass" QB's would be Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers.  That's it, end of list.  Fail to get one of those 2 and might as well roll with a cheap option like Gardner Minshew and use the cap space to load up at the other spots on the field.

Slight disagree: the Jets are already in a fail state because they shot their shot with Zach Wilson. This is about mitigating a full-on institutional meltdown. IMO, Tannehill can hold the fort as well as Carr, and for significantly cheaper. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Slight disagree: the Jets are already in a fail state because they shot their shot with Zach Wilson. This is about mitigating a full-on institutional meltdown. IMO, Tannehill can hold the fort as well as Carr, and for significantly cheaper. 

Fair.  If we're gonna go for the cheap option though I'd rather go with Minshew.  But Tannehill would, to me, at least be a superior option to Carr, Mayfield or Brissett.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Pay a QB $50MM per and surrender your next 4 drafts.  That will cause you to loose Sauce, G Wilson, Vera Tucker and Breece in 4 years to salary sap hell.  Great plan.

Not quite true... but carry on.  Hyperboles baby, hyperboles.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

I wonder how Bears fans would like that?  Don't know Bears' fiscal situation, but I can sure see Ravens doing this.  

Lots of talk of the Bears trading fields, and then taking Bryce Young. You make this type of trade and you’re getting a young quarterback who’s already won an MVP. Baltimore reset their QB clock and then gets number one overall. Baltimore could then trade back and get a boatload of pics to build around Fields. Seems like a good trade for both teams.

7 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Pay a QB $50MM per and surrender your next 4 drafts.  That will cause you to loose Sauce, G Wilson, Vera Tucker and Breece in 4 years to salary sap hell.  Great plan.

The salary cap is going to shoot up by a projected $25 mil next year. Anyone who signs their QB this offseason is going to look like a genius. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, doitny said:

so nobody here is worried that one of the best run franchises for the last 2 decades are getting rid of a superstar QB? did the Ravens all of a sudden get stupid?

Yes!

Deshaun Watson got paid! Lamar should get paid, too! And the Jets should be the ones to pay him! IT'S OUR ONLY CHANCE TO GO TO THE SUPER BOWL CAN'T YOU SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

so nobody here is worried that one of the best run franchises for the last 2 decades are getting rid of a superstar QB? did the Ravens all of a sudden get stupid?

You're asking this question even though the # 1 target of many here, Derek Carr, was outright cut by his team?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1