Lamar trade talks back on the table?

Rhg1084

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Note that the image selected to portray this penultimate QB is that of a RB.  Guy will slow down around 30 ... if he lasts that long.

Who cares take the chance to actually be good and win these next couple years. We’ve been bad for so long might as well go all in and try to win a superbowl. And if it doesn’t work? So what we’re still bad just like always.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who cares take the chance to actually be good and win these next couple years. We’ve been bad for so long might as well go all in and try to win a superbowl. And if it doesn’t work? So what we’re still bad just like always.

Have you seen Lamar Jackson in the playoffs?

21 minutes ago, pointman said:

Dude, don't bother. Some of these ding dongs are pro Mike White and think Lamar's not good.

Lamar is good, but the price tag would be crippling.  Trade compensation would START with what the Texans got for Watson - 3 first rounders, a third, and two fourths.  Given that Jackson is a former unanimous MVP and is younger than Watson, the Ravens would likely expect more than that in return.

Making a deal like that would basically nullify the effects of last year’s great draft.  Infusing the team with at least 3 first-round-caliber rookie talents in one year doesn’t mean as much when you don’t have first round picks for the following three years.

And I think that the wear and tear that Jackson has endured as a running QB is a real concern.  The cracks are already starting to show.

I’d be happy to have Lamar on the team, particularly over what we currently have, but I’m not willing to give up what it would cost to get him.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

You know what’s worse than? Not having a QB good enough to exploit such talent. Without a top QB, this team will be living in mediocrity for many more years to come. 
If You want to play with the big boys, you need true franchise QB.

Bite the bullet and trade them picks.

Both Lamar and Rodgers fit the bill.

Man, its going to be so nice to for our Jets to be in the "mediocrity" category one day. 

That 70S Show Dreaming GIF by Laff

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

You know what’s worse than? Not having a QB good enough to exploit such talent. Without a top QB, this team will be living in mediocrity for many more years to come. 

I agree 100%. The cost will be steep but I’m sick and tired of the losing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

It’s not Lamar or nothing.  I favor Rodgers because he’ll cost less in draft capital and is at least as capable of getting the Jets to a championship in the next two years.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, slats said:

Jackson doesn’t have an agent. I understand having no desire to pay some suit 10%, but he needs some counsel here as well as a negotiator. He could easily find himself facing a billionaire wall of collusion, refusing to do another fully guaranteed mega-deal as group. I’m always for the players getting whatever they can, but I think he’s got a major, uphill battle here. 

And as talented as he is, I’m not sure his market will be as boy as he expects. He’s never had a 16/17 game season, the last two years have been cut down to 12, and his style of play only invites injury. The Ravens basically missed the playoffs this year because he was out. 

I do think the Ravens will have to tag him, and then it’ll drag on from there. I don’t know if Jackson is going to be able to get everything he wants. 

What's crazier about that is it's nowhere near 10% anymore. NFL has capped agent commission at 3% for some time now.

But what do I know, I'm told these players don't care at all about the disparity between high tax and low (or zero) tax states' income tax rates.

From nfl.com Saturday February 11th.

Trade Lamar Jackson? Ravens plan to tag and keep QB, but could be tempted by big trade offer

"The Baltimore Ravens will place the franchise tag on quarterback Lamar Jackson if the sides cannot agree to a long-term deal in the coming weeks -- and there is a possibility other teams could tempt Baltimore to trade the former NFL MVP for a windfall of draft picks, per sources.

Jackson, 26, played out his rookie deal this past season and is unsigned for the 2023 season. In a season-ending press conference, Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said there was a "200% chance" that Jackson stays in Baltimore and general manager Eric DeCosta said they were excited to restart negotiations, even after Jackson missed the end of a second consecutive season because of injury."

Foolish to argue about compensation when nobody wants to see the team play with that horrendous offense. Lamar comes here and automatically he’s a must see event, you are guaranteed to see at least one amazing play per game, at 25 years old you got at least 4-5 years of a legit chance at a SB. Eff them picks!

• Thumb Down 1

Yeah I'm sure the Jets are the team that can afford that 500 million dollar contract while also hamstringing the organization for how ever many years. This is a for a QB who throws for 2700 yards a year. Sure he can run but how's that going to play out when this guy heads into his 30's ? A QB who is also starting to deal with Leg problems. Sure he sustained those injuries in the pocket but the injuries still exist no matter where he sustained them which can hamper the best part of his game. A style of play that never ever gets you too a SB.

Don't try that come at me with "well Jalen Hurts is a running QB" because Jalen can throw for 4000 yards Lamar can not . Jalen runs for sure but he's a QB first . The Jets need a QB not a RB playing QB who will start to break down.

• Upvote 3

I love Lamar's game and think he gets some unnecessary hate because he plays a bit differently for a quarterback, but the cost in both draft capital to acquire him and guaranteed money is likely to be enormous - and I worry about his longevity. 

The nightmare scenario is him ending up a Dolphin, though. Imagine Lamar with those two receivers, Mike McDaniel calling plays and a Vic Fangio defense... 

5 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

Foolish to argue about compensation when nobody wants to see the team play with that horrendous offense. Lamar comes here and automatically he’s a must see event, you are guaranteed to see at least one amazing play per game, at 25 years old you got at least 4-5 years of a legit chance at a SB. Eff them picks!

Yes look at that amazing play he certainly is electric he can win you 12 games but the games you lose will be against playoff caliber defenses . So yay 1 and done in the playoffs every year. Ask the Ravens how they did in the playoffs with Lamar at QB. 

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I love Lamar's game and think he gets some unnecessary hate because he plays a bit differently for a quarterback, but the cost in both draft capital to acquire him and guaranteed money is likely to be enormous - and I worry about his longevity. 

The nightmare scenario is him ending up a Dolphin, though. Imagine Lamar with those two receivers, Mike McDaniel calling plays and a Vic Fangio defense... 

With our Defense Lamar is not a threat . We have 2 great corners and you play the run and totally shut Lamar's game down. Lamar will never beat a defense like ours throwing the football

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's crazier about that is it's nowhere near 10% anymore. NFL has capped agent commission at 3% for some time now.

But what do I know, I'm told these players don't care at all about the disparity between high tax and low (or zero) tax states' income tax rates.

all of that is manageable in accounting . So many ways for those with the kind of money we are talking here to offset taxes of any kind.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

With our Defense Lamar is not a threat . We have 2 great corners and you play the run and totally shut Lamar's game down. Lamar will never beat a defense like ours throwing the football

Sir, you have the best avatar in the business and I respect your confidence in our defense.

But ehh, I disagree that it's that simple.

The Dolphins would have an offense with maybe the three fastest players at their position. I don't think we've even faced them with Tua this year, let alone Lamar. I'd bet they'd give us problems on speed alone. 

I would love Lamar to come to NY. He is one of the most exciting QBs in the NFL. But I think there is a better chance we get Aaron Rodgers. Which would be great too. They both give us a great chance to not only make the playoffs, but win our division & even a Super Bowl. As a life long NY JETS fan, I also feel we finally need our OWN Stadium. The Jets have NEVER had their own stadium. They’ve always shared. Either with the Mets or the Giants. They NEED their own stadium. NY is the richest market in the world and we can’t afford our own stadium? Our owner is a multi Billionaire & we can’t afford our own stadium? Ridiculous. It’s time the Jets have a home. One that is IN New York! On the West Side of Manhattan, Queens or Long island. I don’t care. Let the Giants have New Jersey. It was always their stadium anyway. If the Jets can nab Aaron Rodgers and win a Super Bowl, perhaps we will finally get our own stadium!

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Sir, you have the best avatar in the business and I respect your confidence in our defense.

But ehh, I disagree that it's that simple.

The Dolphins would have an offense with maybe the three fastest players at their position. I don't think we've even faced them with Tua this year, let alone Lamar. I'd bet they'd give us problems on speed alone. 

Its cool to disagree that's what these forums are all about we all have different opinions and I respect yours. I do believe Lamar can be an electric player and he will be but he does not fair well when the run game is taken away from him and that's pretty much a fact up to this point.

Could that change with Miami or the Jets ? Absolutely . The amount of compensation its going to take to sign him in both cap hit and draft capital you have to base that decision on what he has accomplished up to this point. We certainly can't make our decision on what we need, based on what Miami does. 

6 minutes ago, GreenMeenie said:

I would love Lamar to come to NY. He is one of the most exciting QBs in the NFL. But I think there is a better chance we get Aaron Rodgers. Which would be great too. They both give us a great chance to not only make the playoffs, but win our division & even a Super Bowl. As a life long NY JETS fan, I also feel we finally need our OWN Stadium. The Jets have NEVER had their own stadium. They’ve always shared. Either with the Mets or the Giants. They NEED their own stadium. NY is the richest market in the world and we can’t afford our own stadium? Our owner is a multi Billionaire & we can’t afford our own stadium? Ridiculous. It’s time the Jets have a home. One that is IN New York! On the West Side of Manhattan, Queens or Long island. I don’t care. Let the Giants have New Jersey. It was always their stadium anyway. If the Jets can nab Aaron Rodgers and win a Super Bowl, perhaps we will finally get our own stadium!

Sharing with the Mets is no big deal but they have their own stadium now anyhow

16 hours ago, pointman said:

Dude, don't bother. Some of these ding dongs are pro Mike White and think Lamar's not good.

I’m pro Mike White AND I think Lamar is AMAZING. One of the most exciting QBs in the NFL. I hope we get him. But I think he’s staying in Baltimore. Aaron Rodgers is more likely.

• Upvote 1

At 26 years old, Lamar is obviously preferable to Rodgers, unless anybody thinks the Jets are a lock to win it all next season with a 1-year rental of a 39 year old AR.

The history of QBs 40+ in the NFL is downright ugly.  Tom Brady is the rarest of exceptions.

Peyton, Eli, Rivers, Ben, HOF QBs all retired before age 40 and were clearly washed.

• More Ugh 1

29 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Sharing with the Mets is no big deal but they have their own stadium now anyhow

True. Sharing Shea Stadium with the Mets was no big deal. But it wasn’t a great football stadium. And MetLife Stadium will ALWAYS be associated with the Giants. As a Jets fan, I cannot wait until our lease is up and the Jets get their OWN Stadium. Again… one that is actually IN New York. It will happen. Believe it.

274C406C-4012-4C0D-A710-9DA44D60DD9A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

At 26 years old, Lamar is obviously preferable to Rodgers, unless anybody thinks the Jets are a lock to win it all next season with a 1-year rental of a 39 year old AR.

The history of QBs 40+ in the NFL is downright ugly.  Tom Brady is the rarest of exceptions.

Peyton, Eli, Rivers, Ben, HOF QBs all retired before age 40 and were clearly washed.

I’d prefer Lamar as well. Not only for his age, but because he is damn exciting to watch. Imagine him & a healthy Breece driving defenses crazy! The downside is even tho Lamar is younger than Rodgers, his style of play increases his risk of injury. Yeah, Rodgers is old for a QB, but he like Brady is an elite QB with great timing, leadership, decision making & passing ability. I definitely think Rodgers has two great seasons left in him. And with his veteran QB skills & the Jets amazing D,  a healthy Breece and lots of offensive weapons to throw to… I am confident the Jets can not only win their division and make the playoffs, but get to the SB as well. Plus two years learning under Rodgers will be a benefit to both Zach & Mike White. Hey man, what can I say? I bleed green & am an eternal optimist. Lets Go JETS!

17 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’ve seen him enough to know he’s a absolute game changer. I’m not taking a small 4 game sample size to define him as a player. And plus who’s this magical QB who wins all the time in the playoffs we can get? 

I agree. Lamar is an amazing player. A very unique QB that runs like a RB. Very unpredictable & exciting to watch. Imagine him & a healthy Breece Hall. They’d drive defenses absolutely crazy! Especially with Garrett Wilson and all the Jets targets Lamar could throw to. Add to that one of the top 5 defenses, and the JETS could definitely win their division & make it to the SB. My gut tells me Baltimore will resign Lamar. I think we have a better chance of getting Rodgers. Either way, lots to be excited about next season.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

all of that is manageable in accounting . So many ways for those with the kind of money we are talking here to offset taxes of any kind.

Agree. The Jets owner made it quite clear he will do anything to get the veteran QB the Jets need to make a run to the SB. I believe the Jets will be willing to outbid any other team for either Lamar or Rodgers should they want to come here.

15 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Bingo. Players will rise to the challenge with the right QB as their leader. Either Lamar or Rodgers would fit the bill. As a Jets fan, I am excited no matter which they get. Johnson said getting a top veteran QB was his mission. The Jets organization will make this happen.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Its cool to disagree that's what these forums are all about we all have different opinions and I respect yours. I do believe Lamar can be an electric player and he will be but he does not fair well when the run game is taken away from him and that's pretty much a fact up to this point.

Could that change with Miami or the Jets ? Absolutely . The amount of compensation its going to take to sign him in both cap hit and draft capital you have to base that decision on what he has accomplished up to this point. We certainly can't make our decision on what we need, based on what Miami does. 

I hear ya - I'm just kinda expecting Lamar to show his quality as a passer away from Greg Roman and with receiving talent. 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I don't think that kind of cash is recoupable via accounting; there is only so much creativity when the $ has to be paid to him in the home team's state or the states where he's playing his road games.

If you're aware of other wiggle room I'd love to hear how he can get back to even after 98% of his pay is in lump sums paid to him in a state with a 0% income tax rate. It's several million if he shifts all of it to game day checks, and some $11MM if it's left as up-front bonus.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think that kind of cash is recoupable via accounting; there is only so much creativity when the $ has to be paid to him in the home team's state or the states where he's playing his road games.

If you're aware of other wiggle room I'd love to hear how he can get back to even after 98% of his pay is in lump sums paid to him in a state with a 0% income tax rate. It's several million if he shifts all of it to game day checks, and some $11MM if it's left as up-front bonus.

99% of his pay is for the Miami road game ;) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

On one hand that makes sense. On the other hand, a Lamar Jackson led offense literally beat the Jets this past season with a total of 63 rushing yards and him throwing 3 TD’s and over 7 YPA. So not so sure about him never beating a defense like the Jets’ with him throwing the football.

• Haha 1