Daniel Jeremiah 2023 NFL mock draft 2.0

Claymation

Pick

13.  Broderick Jones 

Georgia · OT · Sophomore (RS)

GM Joe Douglas continues to invest in the offensive line. The Jets have been crushed by injuries up front, so it’s imperative that they continue to bolster the unit. Jones has tremendous upside.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2023-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-tyree-wilson-goes-before-will-anderson-j

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Love this comment

Could also apply to QBs and Jets fans:

In the fall - anyone but ZW

In the spring - Not Carr.  Not Rodgers. Not Tannehill. 

Or how about this one:

Jets fans now- go all out for a vet QB.  Draft picks and cap space mean nothing.  The Jets don't need an early draft pick or free agents. We are a QB away from the playoffs and a SB!!

Jets fans in the fall when the OL can't protect the QB - The OL stinks. No QB can play behind this line. JD failed again.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

HB in round 3 with our needs at LB, SS/FS, WR, DT is a joke.  

Same thing folks said when I said draft Hall in the 2nd last year.

I'm comfortable with my view those folks engage in improper priorities.

Achane is a HR hitter, Hall is TBD till he's healthy, Carter and Knight are JAG's (and one a fragile JAG at that).

I expect our LB trip to be resigned/retained or other FA's brought in.  I don't need them in the draft.

49 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Then FB with some of those same needs still not addressed is pretty bad as well.

So you say, till we have a streak like the 2nd half of 2022, with meh QB play and no agility to run the ball.

I think I'm ok prioritizing scoring points (for the 29th scoring O in the NFL) instead of buying more pieces for the 5th ranked Defense in the NFL.

I'm sure you think a new QB is going to solve all that, without new linemen or weapons, lol.  Lets just say we can agree to disagree on that.

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Same thing folks said when I said draft Hall in the 2nd last year.

I'm comfortable with my view those folks engage in improper priorities.

Achane is a HR hitter, Hall is TBD till he's healthy, Carter and Knight are JAG's (and one a fragile JAG at that).

I expect our LB trip to be resigned/retained or other FA's brought in.  I don't need them in the draft.

So you say, till we have a streak like the 2nd half of 2022, with meh QB play and no agility to run the ball.

I think I'm ok prioritizing scoring points (for the 29th scoring O in the NFL) instead of buying more pieces for the 5th ranked Defense in the NFL.

I'm sure you think a new QB is going to solve all that, without new linemen or weapons, lol.  Lets just say we can agree to disagree on that.

Sorry, didn’t know that was your draft.  I would have been a little softer in my eval ;).

I do like Tackle, Center in rounds 1-2, just would have a WR ahead of another RB.

I agree the new QB needs weapons!  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Sorry, didn’t know that was your draft.  I would have been a little softer in my eval ;).

I do like Tackle, Center in rounds 1-2, just would have a WR ahead of another RB.

I would love for JD to bring in more weapinz (which we absolutely do need).  But I think we need to bite the bullet and get this OL straightened out.  Next year we can draft weapinz.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Another WR is absolutely a want for me too.

With so few picks, gonna be hard to get everything without several trade downs, sadly.

But I di prioritize another RB, a FB (late or even UDFA possibly) and a depth QB this draft too.

I lack any faith in Carter or Knight after what we've seen to-date.  And Hall, much as I love him, will be a ? till we see him run again.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Another WR is absolutely a want for me too.

With so few picks, gonna be hard to get everything without several trade downs, sadly.

But I di prioritize another RB, a FB (late or even UDFA possibly) and a depth QB this draft too.

I lack any faith in Carter or Knight after what we've seen to-date.  And Hall, much as I love him, will be a ? till we see him run again.

A philosophy of mostly all offense is starting ti intrigue me more.  Maybe we get a FS in Free Agency..

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I would love for JD to bring in more weapinz (which we absolutely do need).  But I think we need to bite the bullet and get this OL straightened out.  Next year we can draft weapinz.

Here's why you don't pass up on a blue chip O-lineman in round 1; it's done under the assumption that you can get one in the later rounds, but sometimes the board just doesn't play out that way and before you know it, you're down to your last pick in the 6th or 7th round and you still haven't drafted a Guard or Tackle. 

If he's on the board in round 1 you have to grab him. 

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A philosophy of mostly all offense is starting ti intrigue me more.  Maybe we get a FS in Free Agency..

Aye, to be clear, FA will be vital this year, for QW, the LB group, and indeed perhaps a Safety.

But I'm fully on the "maintain the D, improve the O" train I've been on for several years now.

The era of the Jets being the 29th, 28th, 32nd, 31st, 23rd, 24th, 30th, 28th, 29th and 28th ranked scoring Offense MUST come to an end.

Those ranks, that's us, 2012-2022, excluding 2015 under Fitzy.

This may be the most inept decade of NFL Offensive football in history.

If fixing it means I have to short the D a year or two draft wise, so be it.

We will never win till we can score.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Does this mean we don't sign a single free agent?  How relevant is this list if we don't know what we will do in free agency???????

It's entirely irrelevant, as I'm a fan mocking what I want on Feb. 21st, long before FA and such.

I thought that was a given.  It's a list of wants.  FA can change that, obviously.

With that said, I'm not a fan of quick fixes or costly short-term solutions.  I believe in build-by-the-draft.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Was Paris Johnson and/or Broderick Jones available at 13 when you picked? My concern with Skoronski is that he will slide in as an IOL instead of being a tackle position.

Some mocks he is, some he isn't.  Seems at current Skoronski is more likely to be available at #13.

The reason I like/perhaps prefer Skoronski is flexibility.  He could play any of the 5 O-line positions.

Given our injury history, and uncertainty on certain current O-line players, I think flexibility has serious value.

If Becton is finally healthy, and AVT is back at full, Skoronski could be a top-end Guard, yes. 

If Becton is gone again, he could play Tackle just fine I think.

If we lose a Center, I believe scouts think Skoronski could handle that too.

But it's a worthy question to ask, 100%

The Jets have a lot of holes on their roster.   They have to take it year by year.   If they:

• QB-add one or two who are great to ok.  
  • Round 1-Draft a T.  There is Becton, Brown, Mitchell and Draft Pick, plus AVT and others.  That should work for 2023 and maybe even 2024.   Becton should be very motivated.
  • Round 2-Draft a C.  Best C.  He starts.  
  • Round 3-Draft a RB or S.   
  • Round 4-Draft a S or RB.  
    • So at RB we have Hall, Robinson, Carter, Knight and others.  With a better line that should work.
    • So at S we have Whitehead (can't cut, try and restructure), Ashtyn's last hurrah, Adams, Draft Pick.  That should work.
  • G-go with Tomlinson, AVT, lower round draft picks, FAs.  Herbig would be nice. That should work.  
  • WR-consider cutting Davis and Berrios for cap room if the other guys step up.  
  • TE-roll with Uzomah, Conklin, Ruckert.
  • DT.  If Marshall ends up good on the Steelers that would be bad.  They may need to sign Rankins for $10mm x 2.  Quinnen waits for his deal.  
  • DE-we can't afford Lawson.  Otherwise enough players.
  • LBs-restructure or cut Mosely.  Sign Quincy and Kwon.

I think if they do this the Jets will be ok