Cimini: Jets' plan for Zach Wilson is highly unusual, could lead to future trade

Bronx

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

All too familiar, just with an average arm:

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES

Very ordinary arm, though there is room for improvement with better technique. Lacks strength to stretch the field horizontally or vertically. 

• Throws too many passes flat-footed or without his feet being set.
  • Thompson-Robinson has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and Thompson-Robinson is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.
  • Inconsistent downfield passer

Actually when he off footed, he makes really accurate throws unlike you know who.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop man.  He's a good kid.  

Made a mistake in a comment that he apologized for - after probably the worst game of his entire career.  Absurd really.  Go listen to the full interview, he surely took responsibility, he said he needs to be better.  Connor Hughes is a dueche bag and been one to Zach all year - he asked the question - Zach likely didn't want to give him the satisfaction - and didn't handle it well.  Give me a break really.  

Did CJ Mosely apologize publicly to the team for jumping off-side against Detroit and costing them the game and probably the playoffs? Is he selfish? spoiled?

Did JFM apologize for that incredibly dumb and selfish Roughing call that probably cost the Jets the playoffs?  Is he selfish? spoiled?

Again, find one comment where anyone said he didn't listen to his coaches or wasn't working hard or spoiled or selfish.  You don't like him - that's fine.  But just making sh*t up about him is weak.

As for the T-shirts:

image.jpeg.da2b2d1cfa8d3d33386724b691e98927.jpeg

Never once did I say I don’t like the kid. 
Mosely made A as in one stupid play. JFM made A as in one stupid play which was boderline   Both men accepted responsibility for their actions were as Zach didn’t   As the leader of the offense he’s got to step up   his actions would and did alienate a bunch of players where they were openly going to coaches telling them he sucks

If reports are correct someone even had to tell him that in the plane ride back from Foxboro. His Dad even had to call him and say WTF 

Just ask yourself if he did listen to coaches why would he constantly throw the ball with just arm ? They bring in Beck to help him figure it out and he still doesn’t get it

If you or I didn’t listen to our bosses when learning our respective trades or careers we surely wouldn’t last long at all and we wouldn’t have to go pick up our checks at the office they would mail it to us since they wouldn’t want to see us again 

As for Connor Hughes I could care less what he says  

I just as you can formulate opinions based on just looking at what’s going on, on the field of play 

• Most importantly, why is the Jets’ plan for Wilson unusual?  Because he has been unusually, and historically, bad.  Zach’s performance was far worse than Darnold’s, who was considered a bust and traded out.  He has been worse than Mariota, Winston and Tannehill, all who got 5th year options and then moved on.   The Bucs were able to build their team around Winston until they switched him for Brady.  That is what the Jets should be doing with Wilson, but Wilson is too bad.  
  • The Jets did bring in Beck and Cavanaugh to coach up Wilson in 2021, and you know what?  I thought Wilson looked better at the end of 2021.  Not great, but better.  We were optimistic about Zach’s trajectory in 2022.  But he ended up unraveling, because he did not have a real QB coach among other things.  The Jets failed to support Wllson in 2022, but he may have stunk anyway.
  • I don’t see where the resources come from to sign a real QB2 plus a FA QB1.  I think the Jets need to go with Zach and a draft pick in 2023.  
  • I think history concluded that the Panthers way overpaid for Darnold, but I would think, given what Zach is owed in salary ignoring the bonus, some team would take him on to develop.   Teams will rely on their original scouting reports and assume that the Jets were inept in coaching him (which they were).  
  • I guess the worst case scenario for the Jets and Zach is that they decline his fifth option, he somehow looks like a good QB in year 4 and then they non-exclusive tag him.  I think history will show that the Jets would have been better off unloading his salary for whatever they can get and moving forward. 
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • At backup ... I think the Jets need to go with Zach and a draft pick in 2023.    
  • I guess the worst case scenario for the Jets and Zach is that they decline his fifth option, he somehow looks like a good QB in year 4 and then they non-exclusive tag him.  I think history will show that the Jets would have been better off unloading his salary for whatever they can get and moving forward. 

youre-not-scared-of-anything-alec-baldwi

... and I agree ....

Edited by Dunnie

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Both men accepted responsibility for their actions were as Zach didn’t  

That's nonsense.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  just made up.

He made a mistake in answering A question - he absolutely took responsibility.  Go listen to that interview - he took responsibility all throughout the interview.  And dozens of interviews after that.  And listen to the way he answered the question - he was just pissed off...and made a mistake.  

Let's remember - the Jets were 5-2 under Wilson at the time and he just came off beating, very efficiently, a Super Bowl favorite in Buffalo.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

He made a mistake in answering A question - he absolutely took responsibility.  Go listen to that interview - he took responsibility all throughout the interview.  And dozens of interviews after that.  And listen to the way he answered the question - he was just pissed off...and made a mistake.  

Let's remember - the Jets were 5-2 under Wilson at the time and he just came off beating, very efficiently, a Super Bowl favorite in Buffalo.  

It’s not made up You didn’t read where his Dad called him or that his teammate had to talk to him on the plane ride home

why did Zach have to face reporters to clarify what he said the following day Reason cause he didn’t accept responsibility on that day 

I get you like Zach but there are a lot of concerns about his make up 

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Dude that is a really pathetic argument. Was Zach’s stats that amazing in those 5 games jets carried him along for the ride ? No. With Bryce and a healthy OLine, we had a solid run game to go along with a top D. And Bryce was an easy dump off pass for Zach because he was such a versatile back. Of course when Bruce went down and had injures in the line, we saw zach put up multiple worst games played by a qb in NFL history.
  Mark Sanchez blew but he was 100 times better than zach. We all knew those great 09/10 teams Carried him. If we can barely win “ some games “ with the worst qb in NFL, imagine what we could have done last yr with just an above average qb like Derek Carr?

• WTF? 1

12 hours ago, slats said:

Pretty brilliant of Cimini to conclude that this experiment could terminate in a trade. /sarcasm

This is simple stuff. Zach’s trade value is probably about as low as it can get right now. His contract is 100% guaranteed, meaning a $0 cap savings if they release him. If they have to pay him anyway, may as well sit him down and try to coach him up; get something out of him whether it’s decent play or a decent draft pick (and potential cap relief). At this point, all it costs is a roster spot. 

As to the rest of the article, I like the idea of a DT in the first and a C in the second. 

Exactly. But the thing is he obviously CANNOT be trusted to be the number 2. This team is too good to have all its chips on 1 player.  jets would be projected to make the playoffs and potentially make a serious run with a healthy Rodgers or even Carr, to -playing for the 1 overall pick if our starter gets hurt and Zach has to play good amount of games.. Mike white or someone in that category needs to be number 2, while zach busts his ass all week in practice, but is catching butterflies on Sundays.. 

Joe Douglas thought Zach Wilson was a better football player than Jamarr Chase, Penei Sewell, Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Micah Parsons, etc.

He doesn’t have a single playoff appearance to show for 4+ years on the job

He really saved his bacon with the ‘22 draft class

The owner seems to genuinely like him

Even if they come up short in ‘23 I think Woody will fire Saleh and keep Joe

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They’re gonna end up trading him in the middle of the night after June 1 and hope nobody notices. It’s the humane thing to do. The tell will be who else they bring in at QB with Rodgers. Could see them sneaking a draft pick into the building in round four or so, or throwing a veteran minimum deal at Hoyer again.

If QB1 is Carr or Rodgers, QB2 should be White and QB3 should be a 4th or 5th round pick.

Damn if you are going to develop a QB, develop White and let him pack on more size the next two years. Maybe that will help his durability. Then the only knock will be how damn slow he is. But if he is completing 75% of his passes nobody will care.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Joe Douglas thought Zach Wilson was a better football player than Jamarr Chase, Penei Sewell, Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Micah Parsons, etc.

Nobody gets fired after the team wins a playoff game.

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

That’s a dumb spin.  He needed a QB.  QB is the most important position on the field.  A highly thought of QB was obtainable and he rightfully went QB not a different position.  
As he should.  No QB is a slam dunk. 

• Sympathy 1

Didn't  read the entire post, it's  too long, but in general the Jets have no reason to trade Zach until they have to pick up his option. At that point they either trade or release him. What they get in trade will be interesting but due to the arm talent, someone will try to fix him. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Delusional fanbase

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That’s a dumb spin.  He needed a QB.  QB is the most important position on the field.  A highly thought of QB was obtainable and he rightfully went QB not a different position.  
As he should.  No QB is a slam dunk. 

Highly thought of because he got stats facing lousy competition in college— for one season

Chris Simms can bl0w me.  What a moron.

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Highly thought of because he got stats facing lousy competition in college— for one season

Chris Simms can bl0w me.  What a moron.

Yeah, they were all fooled by stats only.  
Alabama etc, always played teams who match up.

On 3/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, T0mShane said:

There’s less that $12 mil dead cap on him spread out over 23 and 24. They get a $3.8mm cap savings for 23 and save (I believe) $5.5mm in 24. He’s cheap and has some talent. The Niners might get to June with one healthy QB on the roster, and even that dude is coming off a catastrophic leg injury. 

If the Jets go thru with Rodgers and  chunk of $58 million cap hit, their cap situation is going to have the tideiness and order of a Jackson Pollock painting. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rodgers is a $16 mil cap hit this year, $32mm in 24. 

Doubt Packers are doing the Jets any favors, so the $16 million may not be the only issue. Johnson (and really that's who running this trade) doesn't care about any of that, simply wants to have Rodgers in a Jets uniform. Think of a drunk 18 year old any of us at closing time with beer goggles firmly in place. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If the Jets go thru with Rodgers and  chunk of $58 million cap hit, their cap situation is going to have the tideiness and order of a Jackson Pollock painting. 

Please.  Per OTC the Saints are currently $24.6M over the cap and still managed to sign Carr for $70M.

The cap isn't real.