Cimini: Jets' plan for Zach Wilson is highly unusual, could lead to future trade

Bronx

They’re gonna end up trading him in the middle of the night after June 1 and hope nobody notices. It’s the humane thing to do. The tell will be who else they bring in at QB with Rodgers. Could see them sneaking a draft pick into the building in round four or so, or throwing a veteran minimum deal at Hoyer again.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re gonna end up trading him in the middle of the night after June 1 and hope nobody notices. It’s the humane thing to do. The tell will be who else they bring in at QB with Rodgers. Could see them sneaking a draft pick into the building in round four or so, or throwing a veteran minimum deal at Hoyer again.

Who wants this garbage?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. nobody wants him

2. pretty sure there's a cap hit if they trade or cut him

3. say hello to Zach Wilson week 5 starter if we don't get Rodgers or Carr

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

1. nobody wants him

2. pretty sure there's a cap hit if they trade or cut him

3. say hello to Zach Wilson week 5 starter if we don't get Rodgers or Carr

There’s less that $12 mil dead cap on him spread out over 23 and 24. They get a $3.8mm cap savings for 23 and save (I believe) $5.5mm in 24. He’s cheap and has some talent. The Niners might get to June with one healthy QB on the roster, and even that dude is coming off a catastrophic leg injury. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s less that $12 mil dead cap on him spread out over 23 and 24. They get a $3.8mm cap savings for 23 and save (I believe) $5.5mm in 24. He’s cheap and has some talent. The Niners might get to June with one healthy QB on the roster, and even that dude is coming off a catastrophic leg injury. 

The problem is Zach Wilson has looked really bad and his attitude is even worse.  We barely got a second for Darnold and he looked significantly better his first couple years here with a way worse roster.  No one is offering north of a 4th round pick and JD will be looking like a total fool trading the second overall pick in the draft for a mid round pick.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The problem is Zach Wilson has looked really bad and his attitude is even worse.  We barely got a second for Darnold and he looked significantly better his first couple years here with a way worse roster.  No one is offering north of a 4th round pick and JD will be looking like a total fool trading the second overall pick in the draft for a mid round pick.  

Well, sure, but there’s also the Jets factor that otter coaches might attribute  at least some of Zach’s problems to, and feel like they could magically correct

Just now, T0mShane said:

Well, sure, but there’s also the Jets factor that otter coaches might attribute  at least some of Zach’s problems to, and feel like they could magically correct

I don't think there's a ton of respect for our coaching staff but there's even less respect for Zach Wilson.  

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Bronx said:

3. The players speak: The NFL Players' Association conducted a leaguewide survey that graded working conditions for each team. Let's just say the Jets didn't receive a report card worthy of a refrigerator display. Players rated their respective teams in eight categories. The Jets' grades ranged from C- (food service/nutrition) to B (strength coaches and training staff). Overall, they finished 19th.

"The player respondents don't feel like the coaching staff is efficient with their time as they are routinely at the facilities much later than other teams in the league," the NFLPA said of the Jets, adding that longer hours aren't correlated to winning.

Defending his work-day schedule, Saleh said, "Selfishly, I’d say it’s in line with about 10 other teams that I communicate with on a daily basis, but again, if it’s a challenge from our players, I’ll definitely always take a look at myself. I’ll look inward to see if we can make things a little bit better."

Been saying this for years. The Jets lag in infrastructure and analytics to body conditioning and resiliency to stress of the game. It is a science and an investment. 

The Jets rank this low AFTER Douglas came in and mandated that they make some investment in this area.

• Post of the Week 1

Cut him he is a waste of roster space. Every QB at the

Combine was a better thrower than him, including the

two  guys they used to save the prospects arms. The best

was Stroud. The kind of  QB I want is a Jalen Hurts type.

Fortunately there is one in this year's group with a stronger

arm and better size Dorian Thompson - Robinson

QB velocity readings-

NFL Combine Fastest Velocity: -Dorian Thompson-Robinson: 62 MPH -Tom Brady at age 41: 61 MPH -Anthony Richardson: 60 MPH -CJ Stroud: 59 MPH -Stetson Bennett: 59 MPH -Will Levis: 59 MPH

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I don't think there's a ton of respect for our coaching staff but there's even less respect for Zach Wilson.  

When douglas traded darnold the perception was that the jets coaches ruined him and that he would be good elsewhere.  That’s not the case with wilson.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I think Saleh and co. should be less focused on what’s best for Zach and more focused on what’s best for the team. Every time they talk about Zach it sounds like they are talking about a child, it’s nauseating.

Actions speak louder than words (especially since JD and Salah always seems to know the right things to say).  The way the Jets have been focusing on acquiring Rodgers or Carr, and basically have given up on Wilson says  a lot.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

When douglas traded darnold the perception was that the jets coaches ruined him and that he would be good elsewhere.  That’s not the case with wilson.

How do we know that’s not the case with Wilson? Two years ago, the Niners and Eagles were desperately trying to trade up for him.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I can't wait for the time when I don't have to read about or look at that Bitch ever again. Just GTFO

Nervous Jets GIF by The Undroppables

When did you guys start dating? Only asking because you sound like me talking about my ex wife waiting for  my youngest  daughters 18th birthday. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets lag in infrastructure and analytics to body conditioning and resiliency to stress of the game. It is a science and an investment.

Infrastructure? Can you be more specific? I didn’t see anything related to infrastructure mentioned. 
It all appears to be management related. Nutrition, Time Mngmt & Training Regimen 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wilson is the only QB on the roster at current, and there’s no rush to trade him.

No rush to trade him b/c there’s no market for him and they can’t get anything of value for him.  Odds are he won’t be on the 2024 roster.  They’ll get Rodgers or carr, that guy plays in 2023, and then they draft another guy in 2024 to groom.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

QB velocity readings-

NFL Combine Fastest Velocity: -Dorian Thompson-Robinson: 62 MPH -Tom Brady at age 41: 61 MPH -Anthony Richardson: 60 MPH -CJ Stroud: 59 MPH -Stetson Bennett: 59 MPH -Will Levis: 59 MPH

YES. This is the guy I want. And I believe he'd be there in round 3. Sign Rodgers or whoever they can and develop DTR for a few years.  He has all the tools, speed, good arm, good awareness and he transformed UCLA back into a respectable collegiate power. Really dangerous in the red zone. Quick accurate thrower. can make all the throws.  I'd defiantly jump and sprint to the podium to get this guy.  If you notice, he doesn't have happy feet and stays in the pocket and most importantly, doesn't run around like a squirrel back there.  Check out the run at 7:50 Shades of Steve Young crazy run. And get his Bobo too.

57 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

QB velocity readings-

Good find.

18 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

YES. This is the guy I want. And I believe he'd be there in round 3. Sign Rodgers or whoever they can and develop DTR for a few years.  He has all the tools, speed, good arm, good awareness and he transformed UCLA back into a respectable collegiate power. Really dangerous in the red zone. Quick accurate thrower. can make all the throws.  I'd defiantly jump and sprint to the podium to get this guy.  If you notice, he doesn't have happy feet and stays in the pocket and most importantly, doesn't run around like a squirrel back there.  Check out the run at 7:50 Shades of Steve Young crazy run. 

All too familiar, just with an average arm:

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES

Very ordinary arm, though there is room for improvement with better technique. Lacks strength to stretch the field horizontally or vertically. 

• Throws too many passes flat-footed or without his feet being set.
  • Thompson-Robinson has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and Thompson-Robinson is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.
  • Inconsistent downfield passer

• More Ugh 2

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Who wants this garbage?

“One man’s garbage is smother man’s treasure. “ Ego’s are huge among NFL coaches, somebody will think they can unlock his supposed potential. That or we will quickly fined out who Phil Simms has pictures of diddling the family  pet,?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

The Jets are in a unique position with Sam.  They have failed, miserably, at correcting his mechanics.  They have failed, miserably, at assembling an offensive line that can give him anything better than consistently lousy protection.  Because of this, there are competent offensive guru's who would like a chance to work with Sam on a cheap contract.  Whether he can be fixed is less important than the embarrassment if another team gets his footwork right and gives him the consistent time he needs and he plays better.

Sam has been lousy but no quarterback is good under constant pressure.  Mahomes looked very human in the Super Bowl when his offensive line failed him.  I watched Peyton Manning, in a playoff game against the Jets, look terrible because they sacked him twice in the first quarter and pressured him all day.  The unstoppable Buffalo offense under Jim Kelly was stymied by a Giants pass rush in a historic Super Bowl upset.  Josh Allen was unstoppable until the Jets pressured him into his worst game of the year.  The common denominator of great quarterback play is solid protection.  Few quarterbacks play well without it, especially young quarterbacks.  They get happy feet and start looking for the rush instead of staying focused on their downfield reads.  Bad footwork, missing reads, sound familiar?

Fixed.