Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Deal isn’t done. So there’s a clear lack of compromise here. Reports now are that GB is standing firm. Apparently they're either demanding that 2024 pick to be a 1st straight up or it be relatively easy to go to a 1st and won’t move off that. In essence saying don’t contact us unless you pay that. That seems to be where we’re at and obviously JD hasn’t met that demand.

Source?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

I can not tell I lie.  I AM THE ONE THAT SAID THOSE THINGS ABOUT ZACH.

I was wrong. You were right. Why must you always be right?

Rubbish. As a long-time supporter of Zach Wilson, I know he's going to pan out here. 

• Haha 1

• Look at the Packers.  I have no reason to believe that Jordan Love is going to be better than Zach Wilson.  He has largely sat on the bench for 3 years.   People are not screaming at the Packers for making a terrible draft pick.  He has learned from MattLF and from watching Aaron Rodgers.  He has appeared in limited snaps and looked decent.  Zach Wilson has appeared in many snaps where he has looked decent.  
  • Let’s say that the Jets kept Darnold like they should have.  Darnold would have started.   The Jets would made the playoffs last year quite possibly. They probably would have concluded that they should keep Zach and let Darnold walk, like the Browns did with Mayfield.   Zach would not been damaged as much, and now we can see how he is.  We would not be looking to pay $110mm for Aaron Rodgers for two years, paid over 4 years, plus draft picks.
  • But there is the ruin-factor.  Jordan Love, from Utah, is getting a fair shot.  Zach Wilson has been damaged.  
  • More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • Look at the Packers.  I have no reason to believe that Jordan Love is going to be better than Zach Wilson.  He has largely sat on the bench for 3 years.   People are not screaming at the Packers for making a terrible draft pick.  He has learned from MattLF and from watching Aaron Rodgers.  He has appeared in limited snaps and looked decent.  Zach Wilson has appeared in many snaps where he has looked decent.  
  • Let’s say that the Jets kept Darnold like they should have.  Darnold would have started.   The Jets would made the playoffs last year quite possibly. They probably would have concluded that they should keep Zach and let Darnold walk, like the Browns did with Mayfield.   Zach would not been damaged as much, and now we can see how he is.  We would not be looking to pay $110mm for Aaron Rodgers for two years, paid over 4 years, plus draft picks.
  • But there is the ruin-factor.  Jordan Love, from Utah, is getting a fair shot.  Zach Wilson has been damaged.  

Bro who tf cares about any of this??? Seriously

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I will reiterate what has been my opinion since mid-March, and what @football guy has already stated.  I believe that a 2nd this year, Corey Davis, and a conditional 2nd next year, with easier stipulations to make it a 1st, ultimately get the deal across the finish line. 

I'll start with, The New Yorl Jets are not the ones that need to push it over the finish line.  The Green Bay Packers do.  I understand the Jets WANT Rodgers, as our dumb ass owner has indicated (who is probably the reason it hasn't gotten finished).  However, the Packers are the ones that HAVE to move on.

Corey Davis is going to be cut if a deal isn't made, so that is an easy assumption to include in the compensation.  He was a cap casualty since the season ended.  

Compensation this year is simply silly, under the current circumstances.  Gamesmanship from rivals was inevitable (some even predicted), but even if there was real interest, Rodgers would still have to approve, so at this point the circumstances are the Jets are in fact the only team.

Can the circumstances change, of course.  If they do, perhaps the Jets need to pony up, but until then you hold steadfast, set a real deadline, and develop your backup plan.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Appears we don't want that 2024 pick to turn into a 1st easily, where they do. And they also don't want to give us protection if AR retires after 2023 with a pick coming back to us in the future if he does retire. Those seem to be the 2 hold ups.

None of us have any clue what the holdup is.  It’s all conjecture 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The initial proposal I heard around the end of February, or early March (I, honestly, can't remember when it was; I would have to look), that I posted here around the same time, was our 2nd, Corey Davis, and a conditional 3rd next year, that could become a 1st based on playoff success.  Personally, I think simply upgrading that conditional 3rd to a conditional 2nd is more than fair,

The fact that they get ANYTHING in 2024 is absurd. The sonofabitch is 39 and almost retired - with a contract we gotta pay in gold... why the fck are paying anything after '23? Honestly. The front office has already put his stuff in a cardboard box and left it outside. 

If I was JD, out of principle alone I would tell GB "fck around and find out... 2024 is now a 4th, not conditional... keep at it and there'll be no pick next year at all"

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The fact that they get ANYTHING in 2024 is absurd. The sonofabitch is 39 and almost retired - with a contract we gotta pay in gold... why the fck are paying anything after '23? Honestly. The front office has already put his stuff in a cardboard box and left it outside. 

If I was JD, out of principle alone I would tell GB "fck around and find out... 2024 is now a 4th, not conditional... keep at it and there'll be no pick next year at all"

People are over-estimating the anxiety of Jet fans to get Rodgers.  We've been losing for more than a decade.  While we'd like to have him, we will have a collective shrug and sigh among most fans if we lose him.  I think a second this year and a conditional fourth in 2024 splits the difference, maybe rises as high as a second rounder if we win the AFC Championship.  But if GB doesn't get it's act together before the draft, they are left with the conditional fourth in 2024.

Make no mistake, the offer only gets worse three weeks from now.  This trade won't get to draft day.  It'll go down the week before once GB wakes up and realizes they are pinned.  There is no urgency for a deal until a week before the draft.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think MLF makes for a very convenient scapegoat for those who still cling to hope that one of the biggest QB busts in NFL history, Zach Wilson, was actually just an innocent victim, and not in any way personally responsible for his own extremely low-level production/performance in his first two injury-plagued seasons.  Creating a scapegoat was likely, in part, why JD (and Saleh) cut ties to MLF, since JD is clearly (in my view) like you Hal, a Wilson fan.  It buys them time, and it buys Wilson time.

There is no need to fight you.  The tape of Zach's play, such that it is, is there for everyone to see.  Each viewer can judge for themselves.  

Zach Wilson becoming a "top 5 QB for the Jets" would be a wonderful thing. 

But it's also extremely unlikely at this point, almost historically unlikely.  Odds say he's going to go down in history as a top 10 worst bust, and perhaps the Jets worst bust of all time.

Zach was as not ready to start in the NFL as much as any QB I've ever seen. Milf wasn't ready to to teach Zach his system, adapt it to his blaring weaknesses and install it all at the same time. Not even close. I think Milf's system with a guy who already knew how to play QB in the NFL would have been just fine. Zach would have likely failed on the rest of the 31 NFL teams if made to start right away in my opinion. I don't think he will ever be a top 5 QB in the league, Id be impressed he could be at the middle of the pack at this point. 

• Upvote 2

The Packers front office acts like my ex-girlfriend in a fight.  

Are you upset? NO

Then acts with all indications that she's upset.  

GB:  So do you want to trade?  NO

Also GB:  Now that Love is taking over...we're really excited to have a new QB...

The best way to deal with it:  Thanks for being honest, let me know if I can help, and walk away.   GB has all but shoved Rodgers out the door, waiting for a bidding war.  The bidding hasn't appeared, and I think their goal is to wait for the draft so some other team gets desperate.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

The Packers front office acts like my ex-girlfriend in a fight.  

Are you upset? NO

Then acts with all indications that she's upset.  

GB:  So do you want to trade?  NO

Also GB:  Now that Love is taking over...we're really excited to have a new QB...

The best way to deal with it:  Thanks for being honest, let me know if I can help, and walk away.   GB has all but shoved Rodgers out the door, waiting for a bidding war.  The bidding hasn't appeared, and I think their goal is to wait for the draft so some other team gets desperate.  

This reminds me that GB refusing to accept the best offer they can get for Rodgers and going into the season with him on their roster would be like breaking up with your partner but refusing to move out because you found the apartment. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:
4 hours ago, ptisme said:
I heard that last part yesterday that the ball is now in the jets court.  No idea where either side is at comp wise 

Was that reported somewhere or is it the scuttlebutt on the street?

Rob Demvosky ESPN.  He’s respected

4 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

This was hysterical, heard the GB beat reporter say that. 

Well from jets perspective, they put out their offer and the ball is in GB court to either accept or not! This is so stupid.

Here's the bottom line. Clock is against gb. Jets can do nothing and make all their draft picks and resume this up after the draft. If neither is willing to pick up the phone now, GB will eventually be forced to pick it up and bend if they want any 2023 draft picks. 

I could take ur word for it but Demvosky is respected for not putting sh!t on the wall like the jets guy with the niner report.   His report is the packers made the latest offer and are waiting on the jets.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I agree.  The chance is very, very low.  But it's still the best chance.

Keep in mind, if Zach were to become what Hal says he will, a top 5 QB, it would be something this league has never seen before.  No top-drafted NFL QB has been as deeply bad and unproductive and injured as Zach Wilson for their first two full seasons, literally the 32nd QB in the NFL both years, then been benched for two years, then turned it around to become a top 5 NFL QB.  It would be historic.  A miracle, even.  It has simply never, ever happened.

Yeah that sounds good and all but there are also VERY few QBs ever as gifted as Zach is throwing the ball. I just do not think you can just dismiss how absolutely horrible LaFleur was and also ignore the fact that Saleh shielded LaFleur when he should have been demanding SERIOUS changes to the way they handled Zach. Also benching Zach was a horrid decision. The worst possible move the Jets could have made in regards to Zach.  He should have had his leash tightened but benching him right before a clear get right game was just idiotic.

I mean FFS it came out that MLF adapted the offense to Mike White but refused to do it for Zach. Zach wanted/needed coaching on the field, MLF refused. Zach had a ton of success in RPO action and rolling out. MLF refused to call it.

Zach certainly collapsed but to act like it wasn't because of horrible coaching by both MLF and LaFleur is putting your hand in the sand.  Saleh and LaFleur both are "force the system" coaches which I hate. Saleh even refused to adjust the defense when it was obvious it needed to be tailored to Sauce for the first 3 weeks of the season. 

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This reminds me that GB refusing to accept the best offer they can get for Rodgers and going into the season with him on their roster would be like breaking up with your partner but refusing to move out because you found the apartment. 

GB has to have him off the roster.   They are acting like there is another team on the sidelines 

45 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Zach was as not ready to start in the NFL as much as any QB I've ever seen. Milf wasn't ready to to teach Zach his system, adapt it to his blaring weaknesses and install it all at the same time. Not even close. I think Milf's system with a guy who already knew how to play QB in the NFL would have been just fine. Zach would have likely failed on the rest of the 31 NFL teams if made to start right away in my opinion. I don't think he will ever be a top 5 QB in the league, Id be impressed he could be at the middle of the pack at this point. 

If Shanahan had gotten Zach people would be calling him a franchise guy right now.

• Haha 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

show me actual evidence that there is another team. 

My claim is that is a bluff. There is no realistic mystery team. 

I wasn’t claiming there was another team.   I was saying the Packers are acting like there is.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If Shanahan had gotten Zach people would be calling him a franchise guy right now.

It's easy enough to say considering he just turned Mr. Irrelevant into a franchise QB until kid got hurt. Zach was able to win when Breece was happy so that kind of supports that. My opinion says a lot more about the roster and system than Zach. But if he could have succeed anyplace? Sure, maybe there. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah that sounds good and all but there are also VERY few QBs ever as gifted as Zach is throwing the ball. I just do not think you can just dismiss how absolutely horrible LaFleur was and also ignore the fact that Saleh shielded LaFleur when he should have been demanding SERIOUS changes to the way they handled Zach. Also benching Zach was a horrid decision. The worst possible move the Jets could have made in regards to Zach.  He should have had his leash tightened but benching him right before a clear get right game was just idiotic.

I mean FFS it came out that MLF adapted the offense to Mike White but refused to do it for Zach. Zach wanted/needed coaching on the field, MLF refused. Zach had a ton of success in RPO action and rolling out. MLF refused to call it.

Zach certainly collapsed but to act like it wasn't because of horrible coaching by both MLF and LaFleur is putting your hand in the sand.  Saleh and LaFleur both are "force the system" coaches which I hate. Saleh even refused to adjust the defense when it was obvious it needed to be tailored to Sauce for the first 3 weeks of the season. 

Imagine writing wall text in defense of Zach Wilson and complaining in the same thread about giving up a 2nd for Rodgers.. “it would be franchise destroying” according  to you but keeping Zach around (who sucks, fans and his own teammates hate) is a great plan 

Geez

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah that sounds good and all but there are also VERY few QBs ever as gifted as Zach is throwing the ball.

This is simply not true.

Big arm types that can't read defenses, have no pocket presence and are wildly inaccurate are a dime a dozen.

What's rare is the arm talent that can also check those important boxes.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It's easy enough to say considering he just turned Mr. Irrelevant into a franchise QB until kid got hurt. Zach was able to win when Breece was happy so that kind of supports that. My opinion says a lot more about the roster and system than Zach. But if he could have succeed anyplace? Sure, maybe there. 

Kyle can make QBs not throw dirt balls???? What a sage! And this is news to me!