Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

7 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

@Beerfish - still waiting for your response.  seems you are otherwise engaged in this thread, but not answering my post.

and to be clear, i am not saying the jets have 100% leverage as you are arguing elsewhere.  i have just said your position that the jets should have imposed a deadline and since they didn't they squandered leverage is not reflective of reality.  unless of course you deem jimmy g or gardner minshew as perfectly suitable alternatives to getting rodgers.  and i remind you that you referred to jimmy g as "yuck"

I did respond numerous times.  What was the stated goal of the Jets coming into this process?

Was it to get a vet QB starter or was it to get Aaron Rodgers and only Aaron Rodgers?

Because every single thing they have done has been to get Aaron Rodgers.

They have avoided the lamar jackson talk, they let Carr and other QBs that at least have a plus go elsewhere.

Now even if their one goal was to get Rodgers you still never make this clear to the world before you set a price and make the deal.

It's basic common sense, look at what you want, set a price and get it.

Instead Rodgers and the Jets have both said he is going to be here before setting a price and or time line.

Now all of a sudden the jets seem surprised that the packers are trying to milk them for all that it is worth.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I did respond numerous times.  What was the stated goal of the Jets coming into this process?

Was it to get a vet QB starter or was it to get Aaron Rodgers and only Aaron Rodgers?

They have avoided the lamar jackson talk, they let Carr and other QBs that at least have a plus go elsewhere.

Now even if their one goal was to get Rodgers you still never make this clear to the world before you set a price and make the deal.

Instead Rodgers and the Jets have both said he is going to be here before setting a price and or time line.

Now all of a sudden the jets seem surprised that the packers are trying to milk them for all that it is worth.

so your position is that the trade would have been done, and the packers would have accepted whatever offer the jets gave them if only rodgers didn't open his mouth about how his intention was to play for the jets and the jets didn't say they are focused on rodgers???

as to the jets intention, none of us are privy to their off-season plans, but it seems pretty clear it was to see if rodgers was interested in playing for the jets, and if so, go all out to get rodgers.  and if rodgers was to retire or didn't want to play for the jets, then seek another veteran QB.  from reports, carr was looked at as a backup option should rodgers not be in play.  he signed before the jets even talked to rodgers.  everyone else was probably seen as plan C, D, or E.

so yes, they seemingly have gone all in on getting rodgers.  whether you think that is wise or not is fine.  you're entitled to your opinion.  i've given mine that i would have pursued carr, certainly at the deal he got from the saints.  of course, it takes two to tango, and you can't make someone sign here.

so turning back to rodgers, if the plan is to go after rodgers first, i'm not sure what exactly the jets could have done differently?  you said they squandered any leverage.  but leverage is only useful if you are prepared to act on it.  which would mean saying screw rodgers, we will sign jimmy g instead.  but that seems more cutting off your nose to spite your face in terms of accepting a lesser option ("yuck") because the packers didn't meet your deadline.  which is why i've said that route is only useful if you are indifferent between jimmy g and rodgers.  to me, these are not equal options.  to me, jimmy g was a plan C option, at best.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

so your position is that the trade would have been done, and the packers would have accepted whatever offer the jets gave them if only rodgers didn't open his mouth about how his intention was to play for the jets and the jets didn't say they are focused on rodgers???

as to the jets intention, none of us are privy to their off-season plans, but it seems pretty clear it was to see if rodgers was interested in playing for the jets, and if so, go all out to get rodgers.  and if rodgers was to retire or didn't want to play for the jets, then seek another veteran QB.  from reports, carr was looked at as a backup option should rodgers not be in play.  he signed before the jets even talked to rodgers.  everyone else was probably seen as plan C, D, or E.

so yes, they seemingly have gone all in on getting rodgers.  whether you think that is wise or not is fine.  you're entitled to your opinion.  i've given mine that i would have pursued carr, certainly at the deal he got from the saints.  of course, it takes two to tango, and you can't make someone sign here.

so turning back to rodgers, if the plan is to go after rodgers first, i'm not sure what exactly the jets could have done differently?  you said they squandered any leverage.  but leverage is only useful if you are prepared to act on it.  which would mean saying screw rodgers, we will sign jimmy g instead.  but that seems more cutting off your nose to spite your face in terms of accepting a lesser option ("yuck") because the packers didn't meet your deadline.  which is why i've said that route is only useful if you are indifferent between jimmy g and rodgers.  to me, these are not equal options.  to me, jimmy g was a plan C option, at best.

So if Rodgers had listen to the 90% of him and decide to retire or patch things up with the packers who is the jets QB for this year? 

As for what you do differently you do not let rodgers parade out there and say he is going to the jets.  He stays totally quiet and says hmmmm I'm not sure what i am going to do.  Let the packers sweat it out, they have no clue what he is going to do and only a life line from a team like the jets bails them out.  You do not have your gm declare he is going to be here!

As I said before its like going to a used car lot and letting your wife or kid declare they want a certain car and you saying we are going to get that car!  Right in front of the lot owner and salesman.  Only then do you start negotiating price and low and behold the salesman are asking for the moon!

In any case you have no worries, Rodgers will be here.

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You are a broken record of nonsense regarding this topic. How did they misplay it? Just give the Packers whatever they want???? Relax he is coming here because Rodgers already said he intends to play here and the Packers frankly no longer want him.  

We don't know if they misplayed this but it sure it looking like they did.

Yes he's coming - but if they give up 2 2nd round picks and take on a massive contract -  for one year of a 40 year old QB - that no one else seemed to really want...

Then yes, they played this exceptionally poorly.

• Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes he's coming - but if they give up 2 2nd round picks and take on a massive contract -  for one year of a 40 year old QB - that no one else seemed to really want...

So what are you saying? You don’t want him if that’s the price?

You are a broken record of nonsense regarding this topic. How did they misplay it? Just give the Packers whatever they want???? Relax he is coming here because Rodgers already said he intends to play here and the Packers frankly no longer want him.  
If we really wanted Rodgers we should have signed Carr. I think that's what he's going with.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
41 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If we really wanted Rodgers we should have signed Carr. I think that's what he's going with.

Carr isn’t as good as Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

And you don’t know if any of this is true other than what you have heard from brainless reporters who have no information on this trade. Once the Jets asked for permission to speak to Aaron Rodgers, a trade was likely agreed upon. All the rest of the noise has been just that. Noise. And you are gullible enough to believe it. Period stop. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

this is interesting comment. Im not sure how it seems they misplayed anything. Most on thsi board would commend giving up a second rounder for Rogers, which is a terrible move in my opinion. But there is nothing to base that idea on. We have no idea what the jets offered in fact all we know is what Green Bay has wanted though their media leaks. We know the Jets said no way to that 1st rounder pick.

Its all just made up hysteria by our terrible and and other teams equally terrible coverage. 

The truh is that Green bay is the only one to misplay this trade scenario. They are the ones that gave rogers a terrible contract, waited long past the the smart time to deal him and rightly will lost what could have been much better compensation.

They will end up taking what Joe offers for them or be stuck with his contract and qb controversy. Simple as that. 

The argument you gave here, saying well if we way over pay then it will be bad can be applied to every roster transaction made in the NFL. there is just as much evidence of it happening as every single other roster contract every made. you have no reason to suggest that will happen, not the draft cost nor the contract cost. 

There is actually every indication that Joe will get Rogers for much less draft cost and that he is going to have Green bay eat some of this terrible contract. (just look at historical trade for this exact trade with green bay with farve as far as compensation goes) but you dont need me to tell you this. It is all pretty obvious and common sense. 

Every day this drags our is one day close to Green bay looking worse and encouraging controversy on their team. It show honestly poor leadership and even worse skill in their FO. I would not be surprised to see multiple people fired in Green Bay. They literally have a superbol winning multiple time MVP Qb who played his whole career there but because they are so bad at thier job he is going to leave and they all look like idiots. 

The very first press conference after Rogers wins his first game in Green bay and looks great, every single packer fan is going to ask why they have these iditos in charge.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Joe Flacco was a 5th round pick 

And the niners found brock Purdy with a 7th 

These picks are only worthless when they biff the picks every year 

Other teams find players 

Not gonna argue with ignorance. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Let me ask you a couple of questions?

If the packers have no leverage and jets have it all why is the deal not done now?  The jets do not want this dragged out interfering with their draft plans work out plans etc.  Why?  Why have the packers not just accepted our best offer?

Second question for you what is an acceptable level of compensation for us to give to the packers?  Knowing that they have no other suitors we have all the leverage and it is us or no one?  What is a good price to pay?  A lone 3rd or 4th rounder probably?

You have no idea what is happening with this deal.  I have explained it, 100 different ways, what is happening.  You just choose to ignore and spew nothing but repeating yourself with your dumb take. You and Bit and the rest of your old asses need to go sit in your rocking chairs, listening to Craig Carton on WFAN and predicting the weather. You might have a better chance at getting it right. Otherwise this is an absolute waste of my time. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

So what are you saying? You don’t want him if that’s the price?

I don't think it's that simple of an answer.

At this point don't really have a choice. I think they could have gone multiple ways better than this...but with that said.

The biggest point I was trying to make was - based on the situation, had they handled this well, they could have gotten him for much less than they're about to pay. 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

22 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

this is interesting comment. Im not sure how it seems they misplayed anything. Most on thsi board would commend giving up a second rounder for Rogers, which is a terrible move in my opinion. But there is nothing to base that idea on. We have no idea what the jets offered in fact all we know is what Green Bay has wanted though their media leaks. We know the Jets said no way to that 1st rounder pick.

Its all just made up hysteria by our terrible and and other teams equally terrible coverage. 

The truh is that Green bay is the only one to misplay this trade scenario. They are the ones that gave rogers a terrible contract, waited long past the the smart time to deal him and rightly will lost what could have been much better compensation.

They will end up taking what Joe offers for them or be stuck with his contract and qb controversy. Simple as that. 

The argument you gave here, saying well if we way over pay then it will be bad can be applied to every roster transaction made in the NFL. there is just as much evidence of it happening as every single other roster contract every made. you have no reason to suggest that will happen, not the draft cost nor the contract cost. 

There is actually every indication that Joe will get Rogers for much less draft cost and that he is going to have Green bay eat some of this terrible contract. (just look at historical trade for this exact trade with green bay with farve as far as compensation goes) but you dont need me to tell you this. It is all pretty obvious and common sense. 

Every day this drags our is one day close to Green bay looking worse and encouraging controversy on their team. It show honestly poor leadership and even worse skill in their FO. I would not be surprised to see multiple people fired in Green Bay. They literally have a superbol winning multiple time MVP Qb who played his whole career there but because they are so bad at thier job he is going to leave and they all look like idiots. 

The very first press conference after Rogers wins his first game in Green bay and looks great, every single packer fan is going to ask why they have these iditos in charge.

Look, if you're saying Joe will get him for substantially less than 2 2nd round picks and GB taking on the the bulk of the contract - then great.  I will absolutely change my position that they've handled it terribly. 

Which is why I started my post - we don't know if they misplayed it.  

But there's an awful lot of smoke around this 2 2nd round picks (with the second that can turn into a 1)  I tend to believe that it's pretty close to that.  And in that case, I feel strongly that they misplayed this....

It always amuses me when people who, let's face it, know **** all compared to football execs with years of experience, think they know better. It's truly amazing that people think they would do things better and know how to operate as a NFL executive while not having a single second of the experience you would need to do the job. Comical.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So if Rodgers had listen to the 90% of him and decide to retire or patch things up with the packers who is the jets QB for this year? 

As for what you do differently you do not let rodgers parade out there and say he is going to the jets.  He stays totally quiet and says hmmmm I'm not sure what i am going to do.  Let the packers sweat it out, they have no clue what he is going to do and only a life line from a team like the jets bails them out.  You do not have your gm declare he is going to be here!

As I said before its like going to a used car lot and letting your wife or kid declare they want a certain car and you saying we are going to get that car!  Right in front of the lot owner and salesman.  Only then do you start negotiating price and low and behold the salesman are asking for the moon!

In any case you have no worries, Rodgers will be here.

if rodgers wasn't in play for the jets, i don't know what their contingency plan was.  i'd imagine carr was their first choice, but carr's timeline didn't match up with the jets vis-a-vis rodgers (because carr was released, he was free to negotiate before the start of the league year, unlike, say jimmy g).  my guess is if not carr, then they probably would have pursued jimmy g (yuck indeed) or see if someone like tannehill or stafford were available.  but again, rodgers is/was clearly plan A, and playing hardball only works if you are indifferent between plan A and plans B, C or D.  clearly the jets are not indifferent there.

rodgers isn't jets property.  they can't tell him what to say.  and even if (when?) he's a jet, they can't control what he says.  as to joe declaring he is going to be here, that happened like a week or so ago.  you've been beating this (tired) drum about how the jets blew this well before that.  i'll grant it wasn't the best thing to say.  but i don't think it moved the needle one iota.  they already were seemingly at a standstill in the trade talks.

the car analogy is silly.  aaron rodgers is a mercurial hall of fame QB, not a luxury car.  and guess what, the car salesman can sell multiple cars and the car can't pick who takes them home from the lot.  so yeah, irrelevant...

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The biggest point I was trying to make was - based on the situation, had they handled this well, they could have gotten him for much less than they're about to pay. 

three questions:

1) how could they have played it better?

2) what was the better price they could have gotten them for?

3) since you clearly are able to see the future, what are the winning lottery numbers for the next powerball???

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think it's that simple of an answer.

At this point don't really have a choice. I think they could have gone multiple ways better than this...but with that said.

I don’t how. Frankly nobody knows what has transpired to this point. JD has shown himself to very adept at negotiating trades so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 4

Although the Twitter account seems pretty bogus, the facts do remain the same for GB & Rodgers isn’t going to help bail them out!

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2023/4/21/23692379/rumor-green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-says-trade-me-to-new-york-jets-or-retire-removes-leverage

According to this report, Aaron Rodgers has communicated to his agent that the Green Bay Packers either trade him to the New York Jets, or he’ll retire. 

For the last six weeks, the argument has raged on about who has the leverage, the Packers or the Jets. The reality is that Aaron Rodgers, due to his contract, has a ton of leverage.

He doesn’t have a no-trade clause in his contract, but the threat of retirement is as good as a no-trade clause. 

This alone would seemingly remove any leverage the Packers had if it’s true. 

The tweet actually outlines the options available. The Packers can accept what the Jets are offering, put an end to this saga, and use the draft picks to support their chosen QB for the future. Or they can continue to play hardball and pay Rodgers the exact same amount of money, without receiving any compensation.

3A6DB3A4-47C5-42A2-9DFE-8C79F16C9631.jpeg.8957ce1536e829ec6484a7f60aa6d2c1.jpeg

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Carr isn’t as good as Rodgers.

but he still is pretty good. and you get him for 4 years not 1.

that was the move to make because after all this BS in 12 months we are likely to be back here trying to find a QB except this time we will have a Rodgers 31 mil cap hit with an even bigger one the following year. drafting in the late 20s. there is no pain like paying for a QB who isnt even here. 

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

You have no idea what is happening with this deal.  I have explained it, 100 different ways, what is happening.  You just choose to ignore and spew nothing but repeating yourself with your dumb take. You and Bit and the rest of your old asses need to go sit in your rocking chairs, listening to Craig Carton on WFAN and predicting the weather. You might have a better chance at getting it right. Otherwise this is an absolute waste of my time. 

But you know what is happening 100 different ways...nice.  Think I'll settle back in my rocking chair.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

that was the move to make because after all this BS in 12 months we are likely to be back here trying to find a QB except this time we will have a Rodgers 31 mil cap hit with an even bigger one the following year. drafting in the late 20s. there is no pain like paying for a QB who isnt even here. 

Carr is the definition of mediocre, can't play in the cold and has never led his team anywhere.
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

You would think he's tired of reading himself bitch ignorantly all over this forum by now...

7 hours ago, ptisme said:

Also, since you gave Rodgers version of how this went down:

the packers felt Love could be a franchise quarterback and they believe it’s better to not wait to find one of those until you are desperate and are forced to pay more than the going rate(clears throat).

the plan was to go with Rodgers but last year the entire team was bad and it was clear there was no longer a Super Bowl window    But wholesale roster changes can’t be made when you have a 50 million dollar quarterback     Add to that Love seems to have figured things out   So the time to move was this offseason before the big roster bonus    To just stand Pat would mean losing love and having an expensive quarterback with a poor team around him

Rodgers numbers were pedestrian the year prior and he was mulling retirement every year.   Most good GMs agree with taking a quarterback at that point and let him learn under a HOF QB for a couple seasons.   Idiot talking heads on tv disagree.  

I do have to say it will be difficult for GB fans to be a crappy team with a crappy QB. Good luck with that.

10 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

GB is giving us an asset in Rodgers. Why would they be including a first round pick lol. Makes zero sense. 

They get the value of a 1+ in this trade. Picks in the next year are valued a round earlier

Swapping 13 and 15 is worth a 3rd. Swapping 13 for a future fist is worth around the 24th pick in the draft,

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, doitny said:

Carr is the definition of mediocre, can't play in the cold and has never led his team anywhere.

then Geno or Jimmy G. you guys got to stop acting like Rodgers was the only good QB available. 

Carr is much better than what we had. if we won 7 with Zack/White/Flacco we could have won 10 with Carr and make the playoffs for the next 4 years. keep ever draft pick and actually use cap space for a QB who is playing every game instead of being retired.

wouldnt it be nice to not worry about the QB position for the next 4 year instead of being back here in 10 months. and when Rodgers retires there is a very good chance that Zach is our QB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

It always amuses me when people who, let's face it, know **** all compared to football execs with years of experience, think they know better. It's truly amazing that people think they would do things better and know how to operate as a NFL executive while not having a single second of the experience you would need to do the job. Comical.

John idzik was an exec with years of experience 

Mac was an exec with years of experience 

Having the job doesn’t make someone a genius. In fact it's usually the opposite 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

three questions:

1) how could they have played it better?

2) what was the better price they could have gotten them for?

3) since you clearly are able to see the future, what are the winning lottery numbers for the next powerball???

You know.  Questions 1 and 2 were worthy of being answered.

But question 3 - makes you an unserious poster.  

John idzik was an exec with years of experience 
Mac was an exec with years of experience 
Having the job doesn’t make someone a genius. In fact it's usually the opposite 
I'd bet my left nut that both those guys know a ton more about being an exec and running a team than you do (because you know nothing.) As bad as they were they would look like superstars compared to you. Do you follow? The sh*ttiest GM in the league is far superior to what you could possibly do.

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don’t how. Frankly nobody knows what has transpired to this point. JD has shown himself to very adept at negotiating trades so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

I think that is a very fair point.  He has shown himself to be very logical, patient and competent GM.  I've been a strong JD proponent.  Just this off season has me really questioning him.