How good is this offense? 2023 Jets taking shape..

This is probably close to where we will land.  (Maybe we add OBJ, Cobb, Zeke and/or a Vet Center)

QB:  Rodgers

LT:  Pick #13 or (healthy) Brown

LG:  Tomlinson

Center:  Pick #42

RG:  AVT

RT:  Becton or Mitchell

X Receiver:  G Wilson (Hardman)

Slot Receiver:  Lazard (Hardman)

Z Receiver:  Davis (Mims)

RB:  Breece (Carter/Knight)

TE:  Conklin (Uzomah/Ruckert)

—————————————————

Is this a top 5 offense?

Realistic PPG?

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

That center spot is concerning me. Can’t go into the draft 100% needing a center or you’re screwed. Then depending on that guy to start day 1 and play well as a rookie. 

a vet C needs to be bright in 

They will bright him in asap

• Upvote 1

If by some miracle we can trot out an average OL, I think this will end up as one of the best offenses the Jets have ever had.  Lots of speed, and legit threats both down the field and in the run game.  

I really do think this comes down to the health of the OL, and I'm sure it's going to be a priority in the draft, because there aren't a lot of other holes or depth to fill offensively.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its nowhere near a top 5 offense.

Oline is a huge question mark.  Breece will need a year to get back to full strength.  WRs are weak after Wilson.  Unless Ruckert develops, tight ends are JAGs.  QB is old etc.

Top 5 offense?  My goodness……

You’re right, every team that has an elite QB has multiple stud WRs, and an elite TE & RB.

I agree the OLine is a huge question mark..  but there is a lot of potential.  That said, Center and Tomlinson are huge concerns at the present moment.

• Upvote 1

Biggest things for us is obviously getting AR. Next biggest thing is having a healthy OL. Then just as important as the OL is a healthy Hall. If he struggles like Barkley did and we have average RB play. We'll be good. But not great. If we can have the running game working and have what we have at QB and WR and TE. We're a dangerous team on offense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

The OL terrifies me. C , LG, RT all question marks.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

one thing to keep in mind here.  with ZW, a line with five pro blow players would still yield a crappy passing offense.  with rodgers who can read pre snap pressure, sEe post snap pressure coming, avoid pressure and deliver the ball quickly, an average line would still yield good passing numbers so long as there was anything approximating a decent batch of pass catchers.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

This is probably close to where we will land.  (Maybe we add OBJ, Cobb, Zeke and/or a Vet Center)

QB:  Rodgers

LT:  Pick #13 or (healthy) Brown

LG:  Tomlinson

Center:  Pick #42

RG:  AVT

RT:  Becton or Mitchell

X Receiver:  G Wilson (Hardman)

Slot Receiver:  Lazard (Hardman)

Z Receiver:  Davis (Mims)

RB:  Breece (Carter/Knight)

TE:  Conklin (Uzomah/Ruckert)

—————————————————

Is this a top 5 offense?

Realistic PPG?

I think people are going to lose their mind when JD does not use 2 of our first 3 picks on the OL

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's a good offense (top half of the league, at least) if we can stay relatively healthy, but that's always a challenge. 

I also do think we are going to add another WR

Maybe I am just out of my mind but I think a WR is more likely in RD 1 than OL, and I can see C in RD 2, but I just don't see the T in RD 1 and I think outside of WR we are going to favor defensive line.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

Green Bay had the 17th rated pass offense and the 15th rated run offense last year.

Our new oc was head coach of a team with a HOF QB and had 19th rated pass offense and 21st rated run offense.

Our star RB is coming off a bad knee injury.

Our oline is shaky as hell

If we want a highly  rated offense then Rodgers, whenever he is traded here, has to come in very motivated and that means showing up for off season workouts that are optional to work with the team.

We have to hit the ground running at full speed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

That center spot is concerning me. Can’t go into the draft 100% needing a center or you’re screwed. Then depending on that guy to start day 1 and play well as a rookie. 

a vet C needs to be brought in 

I think that the #13 pick will be the best offensive lineman available at either the tackle or center spot.  Or, if we pick up a veteran before the draft, then the other position of need will be the choice at #13.  There is no way the jets don't pick up a lineman at #13.  Getting Rodgers, and having the great offensive weapons is meaningless if we can't block for the QB.  I'm confident that at the #42 spot, we can get a quality center, if we need one still.  

The Jets also need a quality defensive tackle, a quality linebacker as well. The Jets don't have a 3rd round pick, so it would not surprise me if JD trades down from #13 around 10 or so spots to get back that 3rd round pick or even get another 2nd round pick.  Then JD can fill in the center, tackle, and defensive tackle or linebacker spots in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Maybe I am just out of my mind but I think a WR is more likely in RD 1 than OL, and I can see C in RD 2, but I just don't see the T in RD 1 and I think outside of WR we are going to favor defensive line.

My guess is they will want another veteran WR for Rodgers, so OBJ is more likely. If OBJ falls through, I could see it. It really depends who is on the board. I also haven't done anywhere near as much draft prep as I usually do this year, so I'm not particularly cogent on this year's prospects. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its nowhere near a top 5 offense.

Oline is a huge question mark.  Breece will need a year to get back to full strength.  WRs are weak after Wilson.  Unless Ruckert develops, tight ends are JAGs.  QB is old etc.

Top 5 offense?  My goodness……

We have players coming back on the OL (Mitchell Becton AVT )  I'm sure Douglas will plug the hole at center and draft a LT not worried at all in that regard since Douglas knows he better protect Rodgers. He has always focused on the Oline only issue was the injury bug and the only real concerning injury threat is Becton. If Becton comes out a RT he's going to be a monster RT which I feel is a much better place for him to be in.... LT Protecting the QB's blind side  was not a fit for him IMO.

Hall will come back just fine he's not a dancer he's a one cut and burst type runner which will put less pressure on him and the ACL..... plus players are coming back from this much easier than they did in the past. Even with that Zonovan Knight will certainly not be facing 8 men in the box with Rodgers at QB.... those days are over.

We have a stud 1200 yard receiver going into year 2 with a mix of QB's throwing to him last year yet still put up elite numbers he's going to be a terror this year. Lazard will be exactly what this team needed and he's a complete WR who will also add to the running game. Hardman will be running screens and sweeps and we will probably bring in Odell Beckum as well ... This offense is going to be a hand full for any defense . Pretty much everything you say here is wrong .Sorry but now is the time to optimistic with this team if you can't be optimistic now then you never will be.

Rodgers changes everything on offense a superior QB fixes more than you think on the Oline as well. Plus with a stout Running game with the threats we have speed wise teams will not be able to tee off on Rodgers like they did with our young QB . Plus Rodgers knows this offense inside and out and has played HOF type football in Hacketts system . 

Biggest question just like it is for any team is will we stay healthy 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, rtnelson said:

If by some miracle we can trot out an average OL, I think this will end up as one of the best offenses the Jets have ever had.  Lots of speed, and legit threats both down the field and in the run game.  

I really do think this comes down to the health of the OL, and I'm sure it's going to be a priority in the draft, because there aren't a lot of other holes or depth to fill offensively.

Keep in mind we can also trade for players if need be on the OL but with who we have coming back we are not as bad as some think on the Oline the only player with leg issues which is what you worry about most with OL is Becton so he may be the Key but even if he struggles we still have Mitchell who filled in very well at RT last year. We have some depth I think we add one or 2 guys and will be just fine probably C and LT

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I think that the #13 pick will be the best offensive lineman available at either the tackle or center spot.  Or, if we pick up a veteran before the draft, then the other position of need will be the choice at #13.  There is no way the jets don't pick up a lineman at #13.  Getting Rodgers, and having the great offensive weapons is meaningless if we can't block for the QB.  I'm confident that at the #42 spot, we can get a quality center, if we need one still.  

The Jets also need a quality defensive tackle, a quality linebacker as well. The Jets don't have a 3rd round pick, so it would not surprise me if JD trades down from #13 around 10 or so spots to get back that 3rd round pick or even get another 2nd round pick.  Then JD can fill in the center, tackle, and defensive tackle or linebacker spots in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

0 shot of taking a C at 13 or the first round in general. The benefit of the first round is the 5th year option. Centers are cheap so that plummets the value of that.  That’s such an incredible reach for a position that is easy to fill for cheap. 

That leaves the second round. So now you’re forced to take a C there. What if the guy you like is taken ahead of you? Not only that you’ll have a rookie starting and we all know sometimes they aren’t great at first. 

Signing a Ben Jones seems like the most obvious choice here. That gives plenty of breathing room and doesn’t force the team to overdraft based on need 

• Upvote 3

This is continuing to look to me like the two years where, like 12 years ago, the Jets go for broke and are forced to clean up the mess later.  

I have accepted that, and so have the fans.

We thought we were going to try and be sustainable good, like the Steelers and Ravens.  The Steelers needed a QB and took the best one mid-1st round, and were competitive.  The Ravens did the same thing late first round and ended up with Lamar Jackson for 5-6 years.   We are going to spend $110mm for 2 years of Aaron Rodgers, spread over 4 years in INCREASING amounts per year cap wise.

But addressing the topic of the post, I can see Corey D and Lawson sticking around at too high salary.   They fill important needs.  We will end up extending them, committing later to their cap charges.  

If we use the draft for 2-3 of OT, DT, C, S and LB, assuming we can add two-three starters with those picks, we are alot better.  I don't think we can assume a starter in rounds 4+.   We will find a way to sign FAs to fill the other holes, extend and restructure as necessary, and go for it.  2025 will be very bad.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

O line makes me queasy. Dont see JD putting a rookie at center. 

I think we add another veteran weapon

I was watching a packers guy on YouTube and he was saying Rodgers really wants a vet center and it helps him a lot not having to worry about a young guy in there 

14 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I was watching a packers guy on YouTube and he was saying Rodgers really wants a vet center and it helps him a lot not having to worry about a young guy in there 

I think that means we sign and draft someone.  

OL would be:

Brown, LT, FA C, AVT, Becton, Mitchell, New FA1, New FA2, Drafted OT, Drafted C.  

That's 10 OL, which I think is alot.,  Its not like we did not need them last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

My guess is they will want another veteran WR for Rodgers, so OBJ is more likely. If OBJ falls through, I could see it. It really depends who is on the board. I also haven't done anywhere near as much draft prep as I usually do this year, so I'm not particularly cogent on this year's prospects. 

With the uncertainty of Mims, Corey Davis in last year, Hardman a year guy and OBJ being essentially another 1 year guy, I think it would be difficult for the Jets to pass on someone like QUENTIN JOHNSTON, TCU if he was there. Our WR room is far from set long term outside of Garret and Lazard who is really a 3

• Upvote 2

I do like the idea of drafting a tackle with the ability to play left guard for a year before moving to tackle when Brown is gone.  .  Tomlinson is only on the team because of his contract.  We need a real contingency plan if he doesn’t improve significantly.

LT Brown, LG Skoronski/Johnson, Center (TBD Vet), RG AVT, RT Becton or Mitchell

• Sympathy 1

Just now, johnnysd said:

With the uncertainty of Mims, Corey Davis in last year, Hardman a year guy and OBJ being essentially another 1 year guy, I think it would be difficult for the Jets to pass on someone like QUENTIN JOHNSTON, TCU if he was there. Our WR room is far from set long term outside of Garret and Lazard who is really a 3

Oh, I would love me some Quentin Johnston. He's a guy I like. 

Hard to have too many weapons, so you don't have to convince me. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This is continuing to look to me like the two years where, like 12 years ago, the Jets go for broke and are forced to clean up the mess later.  

We thought we were going to try and be sustainable good, like the Steelers and Ravens.  The Steelers needed a QB and took the best one mid-1st round, and were competitive.  The Ravens did the same thing late first round and ended up with Lamar Jackson for 5-6 years.   We are going to spend $110mm for 2 years of Aaron Rodgers, spread over 4 years in INCREASING amounts per year cap wise.

But addressing the topic of the post, I can see Corey D and Lawson sticking around at too high salary.   They fill important needs.  We will end up extending them, committing later to their cap charges.  

If we use the draft for 2-3 of OT, DT, C, S and LB, assuming we can add two-three starters with those picks, we are alot better.  I don't think we can assume a starter in rounds 4+.   We will find a way to sign FAs to fill the other holes, extend and restructure as necessary, and go for it.  2025 will be very bad.  

It's a big IF, but if they can find a QB in the draft day 3 this year, day 2 next year, etc. then it still won't feel that bad. By the time there's a big cap hit for a presumably-retired Rodgers, the new starter will be a small amount & the total positional outlay will be very manageable.

What it mostly means is it'll be that much more difficult to sign a new mega-priced veteran in 2025. Still not impossible, mind you, but there's a better chance they'd have to make corrections elsewhere if they did. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Correct.  The problem is you have like 6 HOF caliber qbs in your conference who are in their prime.  Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence etc.  With Aaron Rodgers, you are bringing a knife to a gunfight.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct.  The problem is you have like 6 HOF caliber qbs in your conference who are in their prime.  Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence etc.  With Aaron Rodgers, you are bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Better to bring a knife than fists.