Zack Kuntz... Hmmm

Had a few minutes to look over the highlights of all the Jets draft picks.  I have to say, pretty intriguing.  Lots of speed and athletic ability.

I never even heard of Zack Kuntz, but I really like the highlights.   He runs good routs, is aggressive to the ball and appears to have good hands.  I have a feeling he's going to be a contributor.  I'm wondering how the Jets are going to use him. 

Will he line up as a TE or be used more like a big WR ???  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Had a few minutes to look over the highlights of all the Jets draft picks.  I have to say, pretty intriguing.  Lots of speed and athletic ability.

I never even heard of Zack Kuntz, but I really like the highlights.   He runs good routs, is aggressive to the ball and appears to have good hands.  I have a feeling he's going to be a contributor.  I'm wondering how the Jets are going to use him. 

According to RAS the most athletic TE ever. I think he comes to a good place. Red shirt year, Conklin and Uzomah leave and then we have a trio of Kuntz, Ruckert and Yeboah who is very strong on special teams and developing.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I expect a whole lot of nothing. He’s a huge project. 

Could be, yes... But he does have the measurables.  If he is driven and a hard worker, he may wind up making the roster.  He could be used as a wr mismatch against DB's that can get that high.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

According to RAS the most athletic TE ever. I think he comes to a good place. Red shirt year, Conklin and Uzomah leave and then we have a trio of Kuntz, Ruckert and Yeboah who is very strong on special teams and developing.

Yes... Kuntz has amazing tools.  I really like that pick.  Huge upside.  If he can be trained, he can really contribute. 

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He was buried on the depth chart at Penn State

In first year at ODU had 73 rec 5 TD

Also a state HS hurdling and high jump champ 

These are the kinds of HR swings you want to take in round 7

agree.  this was a really good pick.  home run and who cares if a whiff since it was 7th rd

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Definitely a good Hail Mary candidate.

56 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I dont see them carry 5 TEs on the roster and practice squad .   If they think Kuntz can contribute on specials this year , I d guess Yeboah is gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Anything less than an All-Pro season from the 7th rounder will be a bust. 

That’s assuming he makes the roster first. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I dont see them carry 5 TEs on the roster and practice squad .   If they think Kuntz can contribute on specials this year , I d guess Yeboah is gone.

Uzomah seems like a great camp trade to pick up a 5th and not have to bail on a young guy 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Uzomah seems like a great camp trade to pick up a 5th and not have to bail on a young guy 

I love your optimism but I cant see anybody giving us any draft picks for a guy who hasnt done anything except play some special teams.    Im not even sure its a given that another team picks him up

Edit:   I thought I read Yeboah not Uzomah.   My bad.   

I dont know if we d get a 5 th for Uzomah but its possible if a team has an injury and needs a player.  

But TJ is a great locker room guy and team mate and I doubt they get rid of him unless Ruckert looks like a star in training camp.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I tend to agree.  Will depend on Hackett and Rodgers, but Ruckert seems as good a blocker as Uzomah with some upside plus he's a lot cheaper

• Sympathy 1

His measurables were better than Gronk, Kelce, Kittle or any other player

who aspired to play the position. Won the 110, 300 hurdles and the high jump in HS as 

well as anchoring the sprint relays. He was the most highly recruited TEs

in the nation, chased by Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, Stanford

and Harvard.  Kuntz was a pre season Mackey Award favorite. He produced

big time before he got hurt this year with a 73 catch year more catches than

everyone's darling TE this year Kincaid who garnered 70. I look for AR

to turn him into a weapon as he did with  John Kuhn and 

Richard Rodgers who weren't nearly as physically gifted

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I expect a whole lot of nothing. He’s a huge project. 

So if you run good  routes, have good hands, and are an athletic freak what exactly is the project ? Sometimes you get lucky maybe this is our guy for once

Uzomah has a common trait with ersatz freak TE Darnell Washington

they can't jump, both meagerly ascending 31'', CJ is faster than DW and both

fail short of Mr. female private part who is faster and jumps 9 inches higher

than both.  Parts is stronger than both. Tying for most 225LB lifts,

beating Uzomah by four and Darnell by two while having longer arms

35 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

His measurables were better than Gronk, Kelce, Kittle or any other player

who aspired to play the position. Won the 110, 300 hurdles and the high jump in HS as 

well as anchoring the sprint relays. He was the most highly recruited TEs

in the nation, chased by Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, Stanford

and Harvard.  Kuntz was a pre season Mackey Award favorite. He produced

big time before he got hurt this year with a 73 catch year more catches than

everyone's darling TE this year Kincaid who garnered 70. I look for AR

to turn him into a weapon as he did with  John Kuhn and 

Richard Rodgers who weren't nearly as physically gifted

Why did he last until the 7th round then though?  Clearly there must be more to the story than we're thinking about.

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why did he last until the 7th round then though?  Clearly there must be more to the story than we're thinking about.

Limited production even at the lower levels of competition?  

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Only played 3-4 games in 2022..Kneecap surgery, I believe.  Watch the above Next Up w/Adam Breneman