DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.

28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

wouldn't surprise me if there was another PED violation suspension incoming. I would have expected a lot more interest.

Well, that would limit my interest!

I think it's the obsession GMs have with speed. He's not a burner, he's a big-bodied, big-radius catch guy with amazing hands. If you look at Joe Douglas, he has talked numerous times about how "speed puts pressure on the defense and pressure breaks pipes" and whatnot. And you look at the WRs he has drafted (Mims, Moore, Wilson - they can all fly) or signed (Perriman, Hardman). He also was very interested in OBJ, who can still run with the best of them if healthy. Lazard is the obvious exception, but we all know he is here because of Rodgers and Hackett.

But I think a lot of the league has the same basic philosophy. Everyone is looking for Tyreek Hill prototypes. For me personally, I love speed but I think people are sleeping on Hopkins a bit. I think his game will age better than a guy like Odell who relies much more on short area quickness and breakaway speed. 

But I admit the PED stuff would be a major concern for me. I would have to do some digging there and would ask him for details on a visit. Assuming he's not suspended again though, I think whichever team gets him will be getting a steal. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, that would limit my interest!

I think it's the obsession GMs have with speed. He's not a burner, he's a big-bodied, big-radius catch guy with amazing hands. If you look at Joe Douglas, he has talked numerous times about how "speed puts pressure on the defense and pressure breaks pipes" and whatnot. And you look at the WRs he has drafted (Mims, Moore, Wilson - they can all fly) or signed (Perriman, Hardman). He also was very interested in OBJ, who can still run with the best of them if healthy. Lazard is the obvious exception, but we all know he is here because of Rodgers and Hackett.

But I think a lot of the league has the same basic philosophy. Everyone is looking for Tyreek Hill prototypes. For me personally, I love speed but I think people are sleeping on Hopkins a bit. I think his game will age better than a guy like Odell who relies much more on short area quickness and breakaway speed. 

But I admit the PED stuff would be a major concern for me. I would have to do some digging there and would ask him for details on a visit. Assuming he's not suspended again though, I think whichever team gets him will be getting a steal. 

I pretty much agree.  I don't know about getting a steal until we see how much he costs.  Also have to wonder how much they feel he will hurt the "culture."  That is a pretty big consideration when your #1 is 22 years old.  Might be concern about the WR room.  I thought Hopkins would be a good match for Rodgers.  Lazard is more big body than burner and they certainly targeted him for Rodgers.  I have to wonder if they have any interest or if they feel he duplicates Lazard a bit too much.

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2023 at 3:30 PM, Larz said:

More from Breer’s SI piece 

Kansas City made progress toward a deal, but things went a little sideways when Odell Beckham Jr. got $15 million in base pay from Baltimore, making Hopkins feel like he should land at least that much, given that Beckham didn’t play last year. The Chiefs wound up giving free-agent left tackle Donovan Smith a deal structured similarly to the offer they made Hopkins, which will make it more difficult for Kansas City to circle back.

I think it is this. OBJs contract is ludicrous. And Hopkins is better. I just don't see teams giving him $15 million. Most of the teams  he is associated with most would have to push a lot of money forward to pay him that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 3:13 PM, Larz said:

In his three seasons in Arizona, Hopkins had 2,696 yards and 17 touchdowns on 221 receptions, including 64 catches for a team-leading 717 yards and three TDs last year. Hopkins missed the first six games of the 2022 season after being suspended for violating the NFL's performance-enhancing drug policy.

Pass Thumbs Down GIF by Tinashe

Mid season check point. How we feeling about the Jets WRs? Should we have tried to sign Hopkins or nah?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mid season check point. How we feeling about the Jets WRs? Should we have tried to sign Hopkins or nah?

Pfft!  Lazard almost made that diving grab!

In all seriousness, Hopkins with Wilson (who is having a great year considering) would be pretty epic.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Would he have signed if they did ?

Would Zach find him in the 5 seconds it takes him to read a defense? 

odd flex man. Sorry I hurt you lol 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 11:01 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because there is not a single receiver in the NFL at age 32 who produces at all. Receivers fall off a cliff at age 31-32.  A recent example is  Julio Jones. It starts with nagging injuries and then a drop in production.  Hopkins is already having availability issues. In fact, there are only 5 active receivers in the NFL currently who are 32 years old, and none are particularly effective.  The best is Thielen, and he is a limited possession receiver.  If that is the best you get from a 32 year old, do you want to pay Hopkins $15 million for 60 catches and 700 yards?  There are players on the Jets that can give you that for a lot less money.  

Midway point check-in

DeAndre "can't run anymore" Hopkins on pace for

1116 yards receiving
5.5 TD

Garrett "questionable this week but Saleh is confident he'll play" Wilson pace

1212 yards receiving
4 TD

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Midway point check-in

1116 yards receiving
5.5 TD

1212 yards receiving
4 TD

It was more important to sign Dalvin Cook so he could get 5 touches a game

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Midway point check-in

1116 yards receiving
5.5 TD

1212 yards receiving
4 TD

When he doesn’t get targets he pouts. He would have gone awol by now.  No, you aren’t right about this in any way shape or form. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Larz said:

News flash : free agents decide where they want to go  this isn’t madden 

this knee jerk crying about something every day is so lame. 

The Jets had no interest in Hopkins. 

When Saleh was asked about Hopkins during the spring after he became available, he flat out said that "we like who we have"

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

He didn’t want to come here and if he was here he would have left already.  

should 

I

say

it

slower 

for 

you 

?

The Jets never reached out. They should have. JD f'd up the WR room this year.

You don't get to make up fake projected things and declare you're right because of them. That's stupid.

If the Jets signed Hopkins we'd be 8-1 and Zach Wilson would be leading the league in passing yards. I am so right. See how dumb it is?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets never reached out. They should have. 

You don't get to make up fake projected things and declare you're right because of them. That's stupid.

So you’re making a a different fake scenario because you’re the smart one 

canadian ok GIF by CBC

21 minutes ago, Larz said:

When he doesn’t get targets he pouts. He would have gone awol by now.  No, you aren’t right about this in any way shape or form. 

Hypothetical.

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

He didn’t want to come here and if he was here he would have left already.  

should 

I

say

it

slower 

for 

you 

?

Hypothetical.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

So you’re making a a different fake scenario because you’re the smart one 

canadian ok GIF by CBC

Barry is using data to illustrate that the argument that Hopkins is no good was wrong. You are making up hypothetical outcomes to counter the data.

Only one if you is being intellectually dishonest here, and it’s not Barry. Shockingly.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If only there was a way to influence them to come to your team, though.

Especially since the titans aren't some hot contending destination, had a high end QB more than a stable one, and didn't offer exorbitant money for it. Also seemed pretty clear that he was in the market looking to maximize his pay for what's there.

Then again, what can you say. The Jets have a clear system, coaching development program, and accountability standards for the defense that somehow all goes out the window when it comes to offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Didn’t he specifically say in a video he did not want to go to the jets??

No.

He made a funny face while doing shtick on some podcast. 

A face that $13 million would have turned to a smile.

• Post of the Week 1

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.