Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

Go check out his 2022 highlights. Very explosive and fast. Eyeball test passes.

Would easily be the 2nd best RB on the team behind Breece and a great insurance policy should Breece start out slow or get injured. 4.4 YPC is nothing to sneeze at. For a 1 yr deal, why not? This team has very few playmaker on offense, not counting the QB. Cook is legit. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Barton said:

Would easily be the 2nd best RB on the team behind Breece and a great insurance policy should Breece start out slow or get injured. 4.4 YPC is nothing to sneeze at. For a 1 yr deal, why not? This team has very few playmaker on offense, not counting the QB. Cook is legit. 

Exactly. What’s the downside exactly? If JD can fit him under the cap then it’s a no brainer. Not like there’s some blue chip LT free agent out there that we need to save our money for 

• Upvote 2

Instead of Cook, how about one of these alternatives once roster cutdowns get going (not all will be available but several seem possible/likely):

* Tyrion Davis-Price (SF)  @Paradis

* Eno Benjamin (NO)

* Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC)

* Caleb Huntley (ATL)

* Craig Reynolds (DET)

* DeeJay Dallas (SEA)

* Myles Gaskin/Salvon Ahmed (MIA)

* Boston Scott/Trey Sermon (PHI)

* Ronald Jones (DAL)

* JaMycal Hasty (JAX)

* Justice Hill (BAL)

* Ke’Shawn Vaughn/Patrick Laird (TB)

* JJ Taylor/Kevin Harris (NE)

* Travis Homer/Tristan Ebner (CHI)

* Jonathan Williams/Jaret Patterson (WSH)

Or just sign current street FA Kareem Hunt.  

• Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Exactly. What’s the downside exactly? If JD can fit him under the cap then it’s a no brainer. Not like there’s some blue chip LT free agent out there that we need to save our money for 

Aaron Rodgers isn’t playing for $1.1M in 2023.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Instead of Cook, how about one of these alternatives once roster cutdowns get going (not all will be available but several seem possible/likely):

* Tyrion Davis-Price (SF)  @Paradis

* Eno Benjamin (NO)

* Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC)

* Caleb Huntley (ATL)

* Craig Reynolds (DET)

* DeeJay Dallas (SEA)

* Myles Gaskin/Salvon Ahmed (MIA)

* Boston Scott/Trey Sermon (PHI)

* Ronald Jones (DAL)

* JaMycal Hasty (JAX)

* Justice Hill (BAL)

* Ke’Shawn Vaughn/Patrick Laird (TB)

* JJ Taylor/Kevin Harris (NE)

* Travis Homer/Tristan Ebner (CHI)

* Jonathan Williams/Jaret Patterson (WSH)

Or just sign current street FA Kareem Hunt.  

Cmon, 80. None of those guys are even in Madden besides Clyde Helaire. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh is that what we’re basing RB grades on now 

I was JK.

Cook is legit, bro. Proven back year after year. 4.4 YPC is pretty good too. Same as a few other top backs in the league. He is VERY good. 

Eno? cmon man. 500 career yards. ypc under 4. cmon. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If the report is true and Jets want to pay him $11 million, consider this:

Paying Hopkins $20M and cutting Corey Davis as expendable would be getting Hopkins for $10M, or $1 million less than Cook.

So, no, signing Cook is not a no-brainer.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

If the report is true and Jets want to pay him $11 million, consider this:

Paying Hopkins $20M and cutting Corey Davis as expendable would be getting Hopkins for $10M, or $1 million less than Cook.

So, no, signing Cook is not a no-brainer.

Would you rather have Cook and Corey? Or Hopkins?

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Umm yes? Me personally would prefer both Cook and CD > Hopkins. 

It’s Hopkins and it isn’t close. Much larger delta between Hopkins and Davis than Cook and some JAG until Breece is ready for a full workload.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

If one of these teams that are interested are from states that have no state income tax, we can forget about it because JD isn't going to blow up the bank to get him.

Again, we have a built-in $10M head start because Hopkins signing makes Davis and his non-guaranteed salary expendable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It’s Hopkins and it isn’t close. Much larger delta between Hopkins and Davis than Cook and some JAG until Breece is ready for a full workload.

Eh i think Corey can be just as productive with Rodgers at helm as Hopkins can be. Michael Carter carrying the load for us in the backfield first half of season on the other hand could be a big problem. That’s why I’d take Cook and Corey as opposed to just Hopkins. 

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Eh i think Corey can be just as productive with Rodgers at helm as Hopkins can be. Michael Carter carrying the load for us in the backfield first half of season on the other hand could be a big problem. That’s why I’d take Cook and Corey as opposed to just Hopkins. 

Yeah that’s a hard 10 disagree from me.

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Corey Davis is only 28 and averaged 17 yards a catch last year. He will have a breakout season this year with Rodgers.

A rising tide lifts all boats so the Jets weapons should fare better but Davis may lose snaps, so calculate that into your expectations.

All that said, Hopkins is an all world talent that is going to the HOF and still has juice. Corey Davis just cannot compare.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

A rising tide lifts all boats so the Jets weapons should fare better but Davis may lose snaps, so calculate that into your expectations.

All that said, Hopkins is an all world talent that is going to the HOF and still has juice. Corey Davis just cannot compare.

First of all this is a moot point cause the Jets and Hopkins have shown 0 mutual interest in each other. Hes visiting Tennessee today or tomorrow anyway. I don’t see it happening for Hopkins and Jets. 

38 minutes ago, Barton said:

I was JK.

Cook is legit, bro. Proven back year after year. 4.4 YPC is pretty good too. Same as a few other top backs in the league. He is VERY good. 

Eno? cmon man. 500 career yards. ypc under 4. cmon. 

So how much would Dalvin cost vs Eno?

1 hour ago, Barton said:

No but wait. His play action carries on 2nd down with a 7 point or larger lead, on the road, in the 1st half, while hopping on 1 leg, says he isn’t good. Next Gen says so. 

30 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

First of all this is a moot point cause the Jets and Hopkins have shown 0 mutual interest in each other. Hes visiting Tennessee today or tomorrow anyway. I don’t see it happening for Hopkins and Jets. 

Hey pal you asked the hypothetical 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

I too would like hopkins but i think he said publicly he does not want to be here. if cook wants to be here all for it

He said nothing he was doing some weird interview when he was asked to “act out” his interest level for certain teams. He kind of just shrugged when the interviewer asked about the jets. This was before we signed Rodgers FYI.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As was pointed out by @T0mShane, he was the 8th-worst RB in the league in Expected Yards per Carry.  I.E. he was merely either taking what his elite run blocking OL was giving him OR leaving a whole mess of yardage on the table on the majority of his carries.

There's a reason why the Vikings are so quick to dump him and also can't find a trade partner, and it isn't just the money.  He may be toast or close to it.

The bold, that’s where I’m at. 

The Vikings would take anything for him. A 2026 conditional 7th, and no one is biting. He’s got a $10.4M salary currently due, I bet the Vikes would’ve picked up a little of that, too, to get back a pick. The team he plays for, and has played well for, doesn’t think he’s worth the money to the point where now they’re going to simply cut the 28 year old. That’s not a red flag? Minnesota has over $9M in cap space, so it’s not like they’re hurting. 

It’s gonna be interesting to see what he gets and where he goes, but it’s not going to be eight figures. Certainly not to the Jets, who wanted to give OBJ around $5M with incentives. Him going to Miami doesn’t concern me at all. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, slats said:

The bold, that’s where I’m at. 

The Vikings would take anything for him. A 2026 conditional 7th, and no one is biting. He’s got a $10.4M salary currently due, I bet the Vikes would’ve picked up a little of that, too, to get back a pick. The team he plays for, and has played well for, doesn’t think he’s worth the money to the point where now they’re going to simply cut the 28 year old. That’s not a red flag? Minnesota has over $9M in cap space, so it’s not like they’re hurting. 

It’s gonna be interesting to see what he gets and where he goes, but it’s not going to be eight figures. Certainly not to the Jets, who wanted to give OBJ around $5M with incentives. Him going to Miami doesn’t concern me at all. 

Got it. So, the 3 years on his contract had nothing to do with the Vikings waiving him? Anyone trading for him, would have had to pick up those 2 additional years and this year at 14 million. Why would any team give up anything, when the Vikings were obviously not going to pay him $43 million for the next 3 years. 

I am not saying Cook is worth $11 million per season. But to say you dont have interest and are willing to let the Dolphins or Bills pick him up, makes no sense to me. And hopefully not to the Jets. They need to try and obtain him. We didnt almost draft Gibbs in the 1st round, because we were ok with our RBs. Izzy is not the answer. He is a special teams guy with upside. Not a 3 down back.

Rodgers has gone his career with 2 solid RBs behind him. We have Breece and he is coming off a bad injury. We need a legit 2nd back. Cook is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

Got it. So, the 3 years on his contract had nothing to do with the Vikings waiving him? Anyone trading for him, would have had to pick up those 2 additional years and this year at 14 million. Why would any team give up anything, when the Vikings were obviously not going to pay him $43 million for the next 3 years. 

I am not saying Cook is worth $11 million per season. But to say you dont have interest and are willing to let the Dolphins or Bills pick him up, makes no sense to me. And hopefully not to the Jets. They need to try and obtain him. We didnt almost draft Gibbs in the 1st round, because we were ok with our RBs. Izzy is not the answer. He is a special teams guy with upside. Not a 3 down back.

Rodgers has gone his career with 2 solid RBs behind him. We have Breece and he is coming off a bad injury. We need a legit 2nd back. Cook is.

He has nothing guaranteed left on his contract, so his cap number for a team looking to trade for him or pick him up on waivers would be just the $10.4M in salary this year. The Vikes are allegedly holding onto him for another day in hopes that someone offers something, my guess is that they’d be willing to pitch in on this year’s salary in exchange for a pick, yet still no one bites. 

Also have no idea if anyone is interested in him. Could just be agent speak. Ezekiel Elliot is still looking for work, too. I don’t think Cook is or was ever as good as his reputation, especially since a lot of folks here really wanted to draft him. I suspect he’s now in that Le’Veon Bell spectrum, not understanding that the best place for him to be is right where he is - even if it’s for less money. He’s got a ton of wear & tear along with a fumbling issue. This is just simply not a player I’d be interested in, not unless he was coming very cheap. But I’m not nearly as worried about the RB room as you or some others might be. I expect Breece to be pretty Breece-like by the time they get to their bye, and feel that there’s more than enough amongst the three other guys to hold it together in the meantime. 

If I’m spending that kinda money on a player, it would probably be a WR. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

What was tonight’s news? 

Moving around cap dollars is not that hard. They’ll figure it out. This team might only have a 2 year window with Rodgers. We need to load up with dalton cooks, not emo 500 yards 3.8 to ypc.JMO