Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I was reading so much hate about him, when I looked at his career #s I thought the exact same thing. Seems like he has plenty left in the tank.

I am trying to figure out how people are saying he is aging and his numbers are dropping off. He is consistently 1400-1800 scrimmage yards 10+ TDS, 40-60 receptions and 14-17 games played since 2019. He played a full season last year.

We aren’t looking for a RB long term savior. We have Breece. But plugging in Cook makes our running game elite. We have to consider Breece won’t be 100%. We can still restructure and cut several contracts to pick up a WR as well. I personally think the uncertainty of the running game is a much bigger concern than the WRs. Rodgers has always relied on his RBs to have big production. Michael Carter realistically starting week 1 has to scare everyone with the Jets Championship goals. 

• Upvote 1

Seems no one is trading for him, much like DHop.

But I feel there will be no short of suitors once a FA. Just like DHop with BUF being one of those teams interested in both guys. Miami I can see in on Cook as well.

I'd like to see us be in on both for the right price. The second we made that trade for AR we decided we're all in for 2 years. So go all in. Don't go all in thinking all these young guys can handle the load by themselves. We're another Hall injury away from a below average backfield. We're a GW injury away from having a below average WR group. WE seemed to learn our lesson in the DE and OL room adding depth there, where if any injury happens... we can handle it. But the way the team is at right now... we really can't afford to lose Hall or GW and be a SB contender. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Seems no one is trading for him, much like DHop.

But I feel there will be no short of suitors once a FA. Just like DHop with BUF being one of those teams interested in both guys. Miami I can see in on Cook as well.

I'd like to see us be in on both for the right price. The second we made that trade for AR we decided we're all in for 2 years. So go all in. Don't go all in thinking all these young guys can handle the load by themselves. We're another Hall injury away from a below average backfield. We're a GW injury away from having a below average WR group. WE seemed to learn our lesson in the DE and OL room adding depth there, where if any injury happens... we can handle it. But the way the team is at right now... we really can't afford to lose Hall or GW and be a SB contender. 

Yup. Enough hoarding dlineman and spending 3 of the last 4 1st rd picks on defense. It’s an offensive driven league. This team needs another offensive star or possibly 2. 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 2

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Yup. Enough hoarding dlineman and spending 3 of the last 4 1st rd picks on defense. It’s an offensive driven league. This team needs another offensive star or possibly 2. 

Oh c'mon.  3 of the last 4?  Douglas has had 7 1st round picks.  3 were on D, 4 on O.  His 4 2nd rounders have all been on O, including the trade up for Hall last year.  He just splurged pretty big on Rodgers and added Lazard, Hardman, and a few Olinemen.  They lost Rankins and Shepherd.  They needed to add bodies for the Dline.  Guys that will actually play.  This isn't the NBA.  Stars are made, not born in their old age. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Always an excuse. Figure it the F out. 

Maybe they did.  Maybe they like what they have.  I get that you want to go in on OBJ, Hopkins, or make a big play for Davante Adams or Mike Evans.  They made a big enough splash for me at QB.  I am willing to wait and see how things play out at WR.  It certainly isn't a place to be bitching and moaning like the cupboard is bare.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, JETS SB said:

I am trying to figure out how people are saying he is aging and his numbers are dropping off. He is consistently 1400-1800 scrimmage yards 10+ TDS, 40-60 receptions and 14-17 games played since 2019. He played a full season last year.

We aren’t looking for a RB long term savior. We have Breece. But plugging in Cook makes our running game elite. We have to consider Breece won’t be 100%. We can still restructure and cut several contracts to pick up a WR as well. I personally think the uncertainty of the running game is a much bigger concern than the WRs. Rodgers has always relied on his RBs to have big production. Michael Carter realistically starting week 1 has to scare everyone with the Jets Championship goals. 

The issue with Cook is that Minnesota’s offense is a nice one for RBs because Cousins is a good play-action guy and teams are lined up worring about Jefferson killing them. Cook was one of the few starting backs to have a negative YPC over expectation (meaning, he didn’t even get what was blocked for him). The guys who were worse than him were Ezekiel Elliot (toast), Fournette (toast), and Najee Harris (sucks). But you know who else is on that list? Michael Carter. Sucks. 

IMG_3976.png

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe they did.  Maybe they like what they have.  I get that you want to go in on OBJ, Hopkins, or make a big play for Davante Adams or Mike Evans.  They made a big enough splash for me at QB.  I am willing to wait and see how things play out at WR.  It certainly isn't a place to be bitching and moaning like the cupboard is bare.   

Nobody wants Hopkins and he’s probably going to have to eat a short money deal to play in Tennessee, and OBJ is living on reputation. Keep that powder dry for Davante, though. The Raiders are going to use all that fresh Brady capital to buy themselves a Caleb Williams lottery ticket.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nobody wants Hopkins and he’s probably going to have to eat a short money deal to play in Tennessee, and OBJ is living on reputation. Keep that powder dry for Davante, though. The Raiders are going to use all that fresh Brady capital to buy themselves a Caleb Williams lottery ticket.

I love Devante, but he's going to be really, really expensive to acquire in a trade and has an enormous contract. I think Mike Evans would be a more practical get, and while he's certainly not as good as Adams is, he's still a really good player who would immediately upgrade the #2 WR spot in a big way. 

Honestly, my sense is the Jets like their WRs and aren't going to do anything. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The issue with Cook is that Minnesota’s offense is a nice one for RBs because Cousins is a good play-action guy and teams are lined up worring about Jefferson killing them. Cook was one of the few starting backs to have a negative YPC over expectation (meaning, he didn’t even get what was blocked for him). The guys who were worse than him were Ezekiel Elliot (toast), Fournette (toast), and Najee Harris (sucks). But you know who else is on that list? Michael Carter. Sucks. 

IMG_3976.png

Aaron rodgers is probably the best play action QB the league has ever seen. The stat you are using doesn’t matter for a team trying to win now and needs a good fill in for Breece. Cook has always been a great receiving RB, is as consistent as any RB in the NFL, and after he is released, will only require a one year contract. 

If the guy can get 1500 yards and 10 TDS with a poor YPC over expectation %, I will take it. Sorry. Some stats really don’t mean much at all. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

So, maybe more than 0%?

I’ll never understand why people with no ties, no inside scoop(s), no familiarity whatsoever with the inner workings or thought processes of this front office are willing to make absolute claims.

Like, it means so much to be “right” about something on the internet that you’re willing to make outlandish claims and put your (fake, internet) name on it. 

Fake? You mean that isn't  the real Joe W. Namath? 

What Happened Shrug GIF by MotoGP

1 minute ago, JETS SB said:

Aaron rodgers is probably the best play action QB the league has ever seen. The stat you are using doesn’t matter for a team trying to win now and needs a good fill in for Breece. Cook has always been a great receiving RB, is as consistent as any RB in the NFL, and after he is released, will only require a one year contract. 

If the guy can get 1500 yards and 10 TDS with a poor YPC over expectation %, I will take it. Sorry. Some stats really don’t mean much at all. 

What the **** are you talking about?  Negative yards over expectation doesn't mean much at all?  That the guy got less yards than blocked for him doesn't matter?  That is about as ******* silly a statement as I have ever read.  There may be a reason it is a questionable stat, but accepted at face value it is as damning as it gets.  He got your numbers playing 3/4s of the snaps.  Are we really looking to give this guy volume?  I thought we were all in on Breece?  I am not firmly against Cook, but at $11m for the year?  Well, then I'm pretty firm, baby.

FWIW, his receiving numbers have been declining the last couple of years.  His catch percentage down from the 80%s to under 70% and his ypt dropped from from the mid-6s to 4.6 and 5.3.  He was at 8 ypt in 2019.  The scoring numbers are nice but I don't know that I want to make a huge play.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the **** are you talking about?  Negative yards over expectation doesn't mean much at all?  That the guy got less yards than blocked for him doesn't matter?  That is about as ******* silly a statement as I have ever read.  There may be a reason it is a questionable stat, but accepted at face value it is as damning as it gets.  He got your numbers playing 3/4s of the snaps.  Are we really looking to give this guy volume?  I thought we were all in on Breece?  I am not firmly against Cook, but at $11m for the year?  Well, then I'm pretty firm, baby.

FWIW, his receiving numbers have been declining the last couple of years.  His catch percentage down from the 80%s to under 70% and his ypt dropped from from the mid-6s to 4.6 and 5.3.  He was at 8 ypt in 2019.  The scoring numbers are nice but I don't know that I want to make a huge play.

A nerd and a hater 

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The stat is BS. Obviously you know nothing. More about the Oline and the QB than it is about the RB. And the way it’s gauged is not based upon missed tackles. Cook is as elusive as ever. 

We are all in on Breece. Who said we aren’t? But when you look at the fact that the Jets were drafting an RB in the 1st round, it’s obvious they are worried about Breece, at least for part of the season and need a legit replacement that is better than Michael Carter. 

But whatever. Let Carter or Bam start day one with Aaron Rodgers and see how well it goes. Cannot waste this chance with inferior RBs.  And the Jets obviously know it. Some here are still in denial or want to spend 1-2 million on a crappy alternative. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

The stat is BS. Obviously you know nothing. More about the Oline and the QB than it is about the RB. And the way it’s gauged is not based upon missed tackles. Cook is as elusive as ever. 

We are all in on Breece. Who said we aren’t? But when you look at the fact that the Jets were drafting an RB in the 1st round, it’s obvious they are worried about Breece, at least for part of the season and need a legit replacement that is better than Michael Carter. 

But whatever. Let Carter or Bam start day one with Aaron Rodgers and see how well it goes. Cannot waste this chance with inferior RBs.  And the Jets obviously know it. Some here are still in denial or want to spend 1-2 million on a crappy alternative. 

Obviously.  

I mean I must know nothing because I don't want to drop $11M for "at least part of the season." 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Obviously.  

I mean I must know nothing because I don't want to drop $11M for "at least part of the season." 

You want to face the first part of a championship run with Michael Carter as your starting QB?  Maybe you do. But that would be pretty stupid. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t know. $11 million for an RB2 who might be on the way down is a bit much. Give those carries to Abanikanda and use the $11 mil elsewhwhere

Wait, you do realize the $11 million thing is not legit right? Yes, the Jets are interested but no, they aren't paying him $11 million guaranteed. I could see something incentive based but no way its $11 million straight up.

• Ugh 1

Just now, JETS SB said:

Wait, you do realize the $11 million thing is not legit right? Yes, the Jets are interested but no, they aren't paying him $11 million guaranteed. I could see something incentive based but no way its $11 million straight up.

The rumor—such as it was—said $11 mil. Even if he takes half of that, it’s a lot. IMO, hopefully it’s just a ploy by Douglas to raise the price for the Dolphins. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t know. $11 million for an RB2 who might be on the way down is a bit much. Give those carries to Abanikanda and use the $11 mil elsewhwhere

The Jets (and the remainder of the NFL for not drafting him earlier) don’t expect Izzy to be NFL ready this season other than on special teams and the return game. Elsewhere, meaning another RB? Or are you ok with Carter and Bam? Because I am not and obviously the Jets aren’t either. It’s a huge gamble to think Breece will be back and playing full time. Maybe it happens and we are fine. But I think the ground game is a huge part of the Jets game plan and we need another quality RB. 

• Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Read some stuff that’s leaning towards the vikes keeping him. 

I.E. no trade market and they don’t want to cut him loose for relatively minimal cap relief.

Shame.  Alexander Mattison is fully capable of busting out as the RB1.  Just needs his chance.  

• Upvote 1

I know the Vikings seem high on Mattison and have several other RBs on the roster.  

However, a fantasy tip?  @Jetsfan80   I was very high on Ty Chandler leading up to the 2022 draft and still am.  He was buried on the depth chart and sustained a hand/thumb injury which further derailed his rookie season.  I am gonna watch Vikes training camp reports closely.  He reminds me of Aaron Jones.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The rumor—such as it was—said $11 mil. Even if he takes half of that, it’s a lot. IMO, hopefully it’s just a ploy by Douglas to raise the price for the Dolphins. 

How is 5.5 million (plus incentives) a lot for Dalvin Cook for 1 year? This entire argument is puzzling for a team obviously in need of stability at the position with Breece coming back from injury. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I know the Vikings seem high on Mattison and have several other RBs on the roster.  

However, a fantasy tip?  @Jetsfan80   I was very high on Ty Chandler leading up to the 2022 draft and still am.  He was buried on the depth chart and sustained a hand/thumb injury which further derailed his rookie season.  I am gonna watch Vikes training camp reports closely.  He reminds me of Aaron Jones.  

And the OC for the Vikings, when asked if Chandler will be a big part of the offense this coming season, said “he’s gonna have to be.” I think that says a lot about Cook’s future there. 

• Upvote 1

Is there any reality to any of this?  I'd bring in Cook for a year for the right price. Hall may not be ready and hell no to overworking him coming off injury.  Not sure what the right price is, but it would be heavily incentive based.